Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

aris

Arcane
So how do invasions etc work this time around? I heard you can get invaded trolled this time even when hollow? Do I have to unplug my internet this time around to not get annoyed by kids?

Edit: Steampage is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/236430/
You can, but the matching engine has been improved, it seems:

• You will generally get invaded by players who have spent as much time in the game as you, so you generally won't get invaded by retards who have spen 100+ hours doing backstabs over and over and over again to grief new players.
  • Furthermore, people that invade a lot have a much greater chance of getting invaded themselves than people who don't invade. If you invade a lot you will have the greatest chance of getting invaded, if you don't invade a lot but coop, then you will have a lower chance of getting invaded, and those who don't interact with other players will have the lowest chance of getting invaded. In particular, it means that griefing faggots will mainly grief eachother, and that they will have a good chance of having to face two players if they invade people that do not invade themselves.
  • All in all, overall much better than DS1.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So how do invasions etc work this time around? I heard you can get invaded trolled this time even when hollow? Do I have to unplug my internet this time around to not get annoyed by kids?

• You will generally get invaded by players who have spent as much time in the game as you, so you generally won't get invaded by retards who have spen 100+ hours doing backstabs over and over and over again to grief new players.
  • Furthermore, people that invade a lot have a much greater chance of getting invaded themselves than people who don't invade. If you invade a lot you will have the greatest chance of getting invaded, if you don't invade a lot but coop, then you will have a lower chance of getting invaded, and those who don't interact with other players will have the lowest chance of getting invaded. In particular, it means that griefing faggots will mainly grief eachother, and that they will have a good chance of having to face two players if they invade people that do not invade themselves.

Sounds retarded, in Dks 1 I could atleast choose not to be connected to this stuff if I wanted (being hollow).

EDIT: Really hard to resist watching that stream. Already fell in love with the music track that plays in the hub area.

Kanedias

Savant

Sounds retarded, in Dks 1 I could atleast choose not to be connected to this stuff if I wanted (being hollow).

EDIT: Really hard to resist watching that stream. Already fell in love with the music track that plays in the hub area.

You can burn humanity at a bonfire to disable invasions (but also coop) or something like that. I forgot the specifics.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

ds2jnzpg.png

:troll:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ah yes was just waiting for the pr0 3lit3 players arriving calling others scrubs, so kewl.

If it's like that now, that I have to offer humanity in order to not get invaded, then it's a retarded system, as opposed to the one in DKS1 where you had to offer humanity in order to get invaded.
Since there's no gfwl this time (thank god) I am not so sure if you can just go into offline mode. If yes, then I have nothing to complain about.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

it's an infinitely superior system and you can still play offline if you're a scrub like gouda. what's the problem?

Fall/jump damage.

OPPRESSIVE GAME DESIGN FROM THE PATRIARCHY!

Ah yes was just waiting for the pr0 3lit3 players arriving calling others scrubs, so kewl.

If it's like that now, that I have to offer humanity in order to not get invaded, then it's a retarded system, as opposed to the one in DKS1 where you had to offer humanity in order to get invaded.
Since there's no gfwl this time (thank god) I am not so sure if you can just go into offline mode. If yes, then I have nothing to complain about.

git gud scrub

Kanedias

Savant
Xbox proves again to be the best Souls community by creating a modded savegame 5 days before the game comes out. I'm getting it on PS3, and I don't envy all of you that may have to deal with day 1 cheaters.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fucking Microshiters and their game-save modding.

Hopefully PS3 won't have this issue.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
After reading the stream chat, I can't feel anything but disdain for stream commentators. Since when has the word "Hyped" or "Hyped" about something, become "Hype" no matter the context?

It reads like they're retarded:

"Man, i'm so hype about the upcoming DaS2 release." I can't be the only person who is slightly irked about this cultural rape of this word.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Streams are always filled with slightly retarded commentators. Its why I always use fullscreen mode to avoid that illiterate, mid teen crap.

But one thing they are right about is the streamer should use a shield. There is no point in dual wielding when he only uses one right hand attack and gets smashed by the enemy counter.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
But one thing they are right about is the streamer should use a shield.

Not only that, but the Streamer doesn't seem to be trying to understand the hitboxes of the 3 Sentinels. It looks like as long as you aren't in range of the actual hammer tip, you won't take damage from the poll part [so stay extremely close to them], and he isn't really maximizing the amount of damage he can do, where he'll hit the guy once, and have 5 seconds of time he could be spending to keep hitting these fucks, but he chooses to do nothing.

Kanedias

Savant
Between nitpickers that complain about the most inane things and "hype hype hype" spammers the chat is worthless. It used to be really nice but then it got linked in other places and we had an influx of these idiots.

Anyways as for the Sentinel's fight

I think the easiest way to beat it would be to play 1h with a good shield, summon the phantom, take the first one out and then drop down, playing defensive and distracting the remaining two so she can do damage with her spells. Also, I feel like Kenneth's weapons are a bit underlevelled

praetor

Arcane
watching that stream because fuck it, the retardedly long loading times make the "level up only at majula" thing even more stupid (no, i'll never tire of complaining about the stupidest design decision in a Souls sequel :P)

so, apparently

there's either 34 types of souls total, or 34 is the total number of boss souls, but some bosses can give more than 1 (like O&S) so there's less than 34 bosses in game

edit: also apparently the screens were pretty accurate and this new engine can't handle DaS1-level res textures on PS3/X360 hardware...

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Two interesting things:
- if you are Hollow, each time you die your max HP decreases. You have to go back to living form to reset your HP limit. After 6-7 death, I was already at half HP.
- you can teleport between bonfires now (was this in DS1?).

I can assure you, the difficulty is not lowered compared to the previous game, it is on par with it. I don't know why did the devs talk about that a few months ago.

Kanedias

Savant
That last area was so awful. I feel like the quality of this game is all over the place. Forest of Fallen Giants simply blows Undead Burg out of the water in every way, apart from that, there are a lot of really good enemies with excellent movesets, very good bosses, like that challenging Sentinel fight from before, nice rebalancing of PvP mechanics.... but then there are uninspired, cartoony areas like that crap we just saw
Jabba the Hutt and his legion of Shreks? seriously?
. I wouldn't rank the game lower than Demon's Souls, but I wonder why the quality is so inconsistent. Not like it wasn't that way in Dark Souls (with truly awful places like Lost Izalith) but it feels even more so in this game.

also apparently the screens were pretty accurate and this new engine can't handle DaS1-level res textures on PS3/X360 hardware...

i dunno dude, there shitty textures in almost every location but i would say that from what i have seen on that stream game looks better. the new blighown has fucking moving sandwalls, shadows and lights are much better, there is more destructible shitt etc. obviously games like witcher 3 will look much better than ds2 (technically) but art design and atmosphere is different thing.

did you see the
rat king
fight? i think it was nice. it seems From tried very different things with bosses. thats why there is so many of them and so different. obviously the humanoid bosses are the best as always. and i dont mind "rehashes" as long as they are not shitty fights like bad of chaos

edit.
new sens fortress looks good:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
also apparently the screens were pretty accurate and this new engine can't handle DaS1-level res textures on PS3/X360 hardware...

i dunno dude, there shitty textures in almost every location but i would say that from what i have seen on that stream game looks better. the new blighown has fucking moving sandwalls, shadows and lights are much better, there is more destructible shitt etc. obviously games like witcher 3 will look much better than ds2 (technically) but art design and atmosphere is different thing.

did you see the
rat king
fight? i think it was nice. it seems From tried very different things with bosses. thats why there is so many of them and so different. obviously the humanoid bosses are the best as always. and i dont mind "rehashes" as long as they are not shitty fights like bad of chaos

I loved the rat boss fight. It was something I didn't expect, it was quite creative and tense. Kudos to From for being imaginative with it. I was honestly surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom