Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
....or something you can make your way through on preserverence alone if you figure out his attacks.

I swear to you I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say that that's every good boss fight ever—persevering until you figure out the boss's patterns, openings, etc. That isn't some trick to get by the boss.

I've beaten him before. I had thought (before I started this playthrough; last was in 2017) that I gave up on DS2 before I completed all the DLCs, but now that I've been playing for a bit, I clearly remember fighting Fume Knight. That's not something you're gonna forget. Also, I still have my previous save file, though I haven't loaded it yet.

Make sure you use your sticks on the ashen hoes first otherwise the fight will be Not Fun.

I have been. Took a bit to re-remember what to do with them.

praetor

Arcane
In a sense the series is a victim of the fact that skilled players can beat the game naked SL1 since at that point it doesn't really matter to the devs whether one spell is just 25% worse than the competition in every way.

I've always maintained that balancing a game based on extremely experienced and highly skilled players is the epitome of dumb unless that's the primary type of player you're catering to, for example in some online shooter that only a few hundred people play anymore.

Yet, time after time, developers get their feelings hurt and/or feel that weaknesses in their game have been humiliatingly exposed by someone with the reflexes of a secretary bird who's been playing their game for 4,000 hours. That type of player will dominate no matter how you tinker with your game, so it's futile to even try to bring them in line. Not even GRS being "OP" was ever an actual problem for such players—and low-skill players weren't going to win much anyway.

There is, I suppose, a case to be made if tons of low-skill players were OHKOing each other with GRS. Probably that was exactly what was happening, but all things considered, who gives a damn? Even pre-nerf, you'd have been better off with Dark Orb in PvE anyway, which is what I care about (in this context, that is). It just annoys me that the Resonant line remains nerfed in PvE as well, meaning there's rarely ever a reason to use it unless you're LARPing a dark priest who strictly eschews wizard-flavored magic. Even versus bosses, you are better off just using Dark Orb, taking slightly longer, and saving yourself tens of thousands of souls.

it's not that simple. sometimes spells that were fine in PvE but OP nonsense in PvP get the nerfhammer treatment which makes them shit in both, like with the Resonant spells, but sometimes some spells get shafted because they're ridiculously OP in PvE (and useless in PvP) and trivialize the game for newbies (for example, the lightning spears early on were so OP no boss was a challenge, they were hilariously for a while. or Soul Geyser which made the late game trivial [not that bad of a thing in itself] even when spiced down. i mean, it's still really powerful, but previously it annihilated every single late game boss in like 10 seconds or less. it was ridiculous)

it seems lots of people here remember only the PvP motivated nerfs, but kinda conveniently forget the plethora of PvE centric nerfs that they did and so "From bad because they ruin PvE fun to appease the PvP crowd" which couldn't be further from the truth...

...they're bad because they're utterly incapable of properly nerfing anything. i guess the job to "balance" shit post-release goes to a junior whose instructions look like "when something seems OP, make it useless in the next patch or you're fired". 0 thought. they're not even trying to balance stuff

still.. as far as proper balance goes, both PvP and PvE, current patched (Sotfs) DaS2 is orders of magnitude better than all the other Souls games put together

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The Force may be balanced now, but the truly pressing (and now presumably eternal) issue is that there is essentially one hex in PvE.

That's it. There is one hex to shoot. This entire archetype, playstyle, and its related equipment all exist to power a big black lacrosse ball.

Granted, there are super-niche use cases for Profound Still, or even Firestorm: Dark Edition (not to be confused with Firestorm: Lightning Edition). Also, I'm exaggerating slightly, because Dark Weapon is pretty good.

The point is, there is no complexity or diversity there. It's as one-dimensional and uninteresting as can be. Whereas with strength, dex, and quality builds, there are all sorts of variables and pieces of equipment to experiment with, individual weapons with more moves in their movesets than there are hexes anyone will ever use in PvE, even various ways to mix and match and powerstance.

It's possible to balance the same item or ability differently depending on whether it's being employed in PvE or PvP. As a matter of fact, there are items and abilities that already do work that way. Need to nerf Resonant Soul? Add "Phantoms flush with souls of their own are resistant to the effects of this hex," and slash the damage versus actual players. There was a solution there, but instead they scorched the earth.

I very, very often notice these unfortunate balancing sprees that leave the mechanics a mess when a game (any game, not just Souls games) blends PvE in with PvP. The need to balance for both simultaneously is a real strain, it seems, which is no wonder really since they're handled very, very differently.

Silverfish

Arbiter
That's it. There is one hex to shoot. This entire archetype, playstyle, and its related equipment all exist to power a big black lacrosse ball.

He doesn't use Dead Again.

anime-girl.gif

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Long cast time, fiddly to use, few casts per slot, requires a certain number of enemies to be worthwhile, and useless on a fresh segment of a level unless you pull enemies back towards a choke point at an old segment—that's the reason I don't use it. Another 50ish casts of Dark Orb would certainly move you along faster.

All that having been said, might be good for a few of the Old Iron King gank rooms, or ascetic farming at Aldia's Keep.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Metamorphosed again, this time into Dark Gigachad.

Just barely squeaking by at 49.5% equip load with 40 VIT, Soldier's Ring +2, and Third Dragon Ring. Went down to 12 i-frames for now, but that's fine.

Dark-infused +5 Sacred Chime Hammer with 30/30 INT/FTH and Dark Weapon deals in excess of 800 damage (on paper) per whomp, one-handed. I also still have the Witchtree Branch as an alternate weapon, and can even fit a Dark-infused Hunter's Blackbow in there.

dgc.png

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes, agentorange, a transparent attempt to do it all while adhering to a theme—and it works pretty well.

It's just a shame when I have to break 50% equip load to deploy the Alonne Greatbow, but on the whole, it doesn't really matter.

And let me tell you: The Alonne Greatbow with Destructive Arrows, Ring of Blades, fairly high STR/DEX combined, and Dark Weapon can deal a hilarious amount of damage, in excess of 700 on headshots in some cases. It's my go-to Amana obliterator, although I doubt I'll go back there this playthrough.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Because why not. I liked how some of the equipment pieces in addition or protection also gave your character certain undocumented bonuses. One one hand this addition threw a wrench into the whole fashion souls thing, but at the same time made the game a bit more RPGey.

deem

Savant
My point is, Cleric class starts with parts of the Archdrake set. The description on the items reads:

"Though little is actually known about the order, it is said their well-honed miracles and unwavering faith in the face of death made them worthy rivals to Drangleic's forces in their day."

Yet, the helmet grants bonus to INT instead of Faith. It's incongruent with the world building.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Great, controller doesn't work anymore (but works on Dark Souls 1 and 3).

Google told me to disable HID-compliant game controlelr from Device Manager which put my PC in a boot loop lmao. Nice fucking going internet. I had to unintall the HID-complaint driver from Safe Mode to make it start again.

If i unplug keyboard and mouse it suddenly works again. I can load the game in Steam Big Picture but fuck that, i want the game to work normally.

Anybody knows anything about this?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Google told me to disable HID-compliant game controlelr from Device Manager which put my PC in a boot loop lmao. Nice fucking going internet. I had to unintall the HID-complaint driver from Safe Mode to make it start again.

If i unplug keyboard and mouse it suddenly works again. I can load the game in Steam Big Picture but fuck that, i want the game to work normally.

Are you using steam controller config? I found that works pretty well.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You just removed a system driver. There is three ways to go about it :
1/ System Restore if you have it enabled on your system and rollback to a previous system state
2/ google the name of the system driver file, pull it from a windows installation and paste it back where it belongs
3/ reinstall windows. The least tedious way to go about it if you don't have system restore enabled. It doesn't take that much time if you don't format the system and have to copy all your data once again. 10 and 11 have a refresh function that doesn't delete your user data, YMMV, never had to use it.

At least you'll remember this time that 99% of internet advice that tell you to do something in the device manager is bullshit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nah i just had to uninstall them under Safe Mode, including the ones that were "hidden".

Once windows booted normally windows update just reinstalled them all without issue.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Are you using steam controller config? I found that works pretty well.

I'll look that up but for the record i have 400+ hours into the game and never had this issue.

One way to make it work is to load the game, unplug keyboard/mouse (i sort of suspect my new mouse is the culprit here), then plug them back in.

It seems the game is detecting something else as the controller.

Curiously, Dark Souls 1 and 3 don't have this issue, but Elder Ring does as well. Same trick works for the latter as well. Load game, unplug k/m, plug them back in once you see that controller is working.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
PS4 controllers seem to work plug 'n' play now, no need to even mess with Steam Big Picture settings—and they also work plug 'n' play with GOG Galaxy.

I still, to this day, am running my heavily customized "fuck spyware" installation of Windows 7 (zero issue running any game so far, unless it uses Unity, but that's universal to all OSes and is the fault of Unity), so I doubt Windows now suddenly recognizes PS4 controllers natively. It's possible, though.

SumDrunkGuy

Elden Ring keeps bringing back memories of this beast. Some day I will be sober enough to explain Dark Souls 2's exellence.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This is still my favorite souls game.

Well, I've played it twice, which is two times more than I wish I'd played DS3. Same with DS1.

The trouble is that these games are pathways of suffering and pain, and pain is the best teacher, so I remember every detail of them pretty readily. It takes the shine off replays, but the replays are still fun.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah well I still can't figure out how to make my dude not look like an Oblivion NPC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom