Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

Beastro

Arcane
3. I have no idea how someone like Durance is bland to you.

I never said he was.

The races and their backgrounds don't stand out, nor their nations and most of all Dyrwood and their background. Durance does highlight the biggest issue around it, which is the delivery of the information. His insight into his particular part makes it interesting to listen to even if it's not that great on its own and stands in contrast to the dry, dispassionate text book manner that dominates the game beyond your conversations with him (GMs an exception too, no surprise, but it's such stupid, convoluted shit it loses you before you stop giving a damn).

Had most of the games delivery of the lore been Durance quality, same level of passion from different perspectives, it would leave you too much to enjoy for you to pick at how uninspired everything is.

veskoandroid

Educated
Pillars of Eternity is so bland, boring and banal that it's not even worth the effort to hate it.

So, J_C is a cuck.

Couldn't finished it because it's still getting patched / the final patch is missing. It's getting ridiculous. If I would have to rate it from what I already played (before 2.0+ patch without expansions) it's getting a 6. I guess with patches and expansions it will become a 7.

Are you fucking kidding me?! POE is mediocre, it's 6 maximum. Nobody will play it in 10 years.
Now we're talking! Keep'em comming bros.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

veskoandroid

Educated
I never said he was.

The races and their backgrounds don't stand out, nor their nations and most of all Dyrwood and their background. Durance does highlight the biggest issue around it, which is the delivery of the information. His insight into his particular part makes it interesting to listen to even if it's not that great on its own and stands in contrast to the dry, dispassionate text book manner that dominates the game beyond your conversations with him (GMs an exception too, no surprise, but it's such stupid, convoluted shit it loses you before you stop giving a damn).

Had most of the games delivery of the lore been Durance quality, same level of passion from different perspectives, it would leave you too much to enjoy for you to pick at how uninspired everything is.

in hindsight, 5/10. too stretched out and linear. shallow companions and a "chosen one" story without even being a particularly personal story. very low replayability.
combat in a game like this is almost secondary to me. that's probably why I like BG2 so much which has a much bigger focus on characters. BG2 did have some cool encounters though and I feel like that's missing from PoE as well.
the expansions were shit from what I managed to play before giving up.
Mostly agree with these two posts, especially on durance and gm. My god what a bunch of watered down, dilluted, emo-down bs from gm. I mean its not her fault, its the writers, for making a shit out of her. Durance and eders humor are highlights of characters for me, am thinking of switching someone for hiravias.

But the lowlight of the game so far for me is that at some point in chapter 2 i suddenly asked myself: What was it im doing? Who am I?....... Oh right, there was this biasac wind and all.... Right then. Onto those bounties lads. Harrrr. Bounties were good as they were tactical challenge, couldn't just get in, slaughter, loot, repeat.

Spells? Wtf? Cancelhouse perverted arrows of bitchslap v1, 2, 3. Wow. The idiotic spell range, naming choice, is leaving me dizzy and bewildered :save vs will - 50: is there a legit reason they didnt just copy and paste bg spells? Or are those spells from d&d 3 4 5? Did they make a whole shitload of spells just for sake of originality?

Maybe im just spoiled by BG series.

The choice to not make cutscenes but change it into text description is budget related from what i read on net. But that choice made me become bored from a ton of text. Not good. Started the game reading every book i found. Gave up soon after.

I miss npc dialogue portraits. Lack of them makes npc plastic, generic rpg spitouts, rather than live people w characters etc. Few exceptions like that vailian ambassador (palleginas superior).

The game has a feel of epicness for the sake of epicness, without the essence of real emotional strugle. Choice making while it has game consequences, like rep in cities, didnt grip me at all, emotional level. It was just a rational choice of which outcome/result i want more. My relation to characters was lukewarm all the way, with aforementioned few party npcs. Related to BG where i strongly felt for characters - CHARACTERS!, either positive or negative.

Right now i just want to finish it to see the ending might even not play TWM.

SniperHF

Arcane
I didn't find it compelling enough to play it again after patches or to buy the expansions. It was alright though; if we're going by the 7 = average scale then, 7.

veskoandroid

Educated
Design and colours, concept of graphics is nice though.
Weapon categorization? Horror. I want a flail or mace and have to take all other shitty wpns of that category, on top of that to few levels to properly develop characters. Why not just take bg or mire recent d&d weapon distro points?

And on the subject of spiritual successor of bg? Not. Its a mishmash of a bu ch of stuff so much that it doesn't have its own soul. Hollowborn is a fitting description sadly.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Was Banal Shit Boring now with patches and expansion which gave your keep some role in plot its Banal medicore and Boring. :incline: of :littlemissfun:but still not feeling compelled to do the second run with game in gold version it like I did with original Fallouts or BGs. Only interesting plot points were about Eothas but aside from temple in first town and Aedar side quest it was still not enough meat to make my planned priest of Eothas run... its just too many trash mobs which dont even give you XP to replay it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Many people claimed that my previous PoE rating thread only showed positive results because I made it during the "honeymoon" period, and people will realise how generic/bad it is later.

So, I think enough time has passed to seal this once and for all. The game is out more than a year, expansions are out, patches are out.

How would you rate PoE if you look at the whole package (with expansions)?

I would gave it a 8,5/10, but since there is no such option, I will be a little more strict and give it an 8. It is a good RPG, some of its parts are very good, but it needs some improvement on the story side and there are some questionable mechanics.

• Game was not the worst thing ever made but is by far a huge let down.
  • Way too much time spent on stupid things, Backer NPC's are dumb, Itemization was butchered to support crafting and most area design is crap.
  • The story is serviceable but not up to Obsidian standards.
  • Game is way too easy
    • Yes I've played POTD - it was a little fun until I out leveled the content.
  • The games strongest parts are the beginning - the first dungeon wets your appetite, Raedric's applies the lube for things to come.. but falls off quickly after. Disappointment.
  • Defiance Bay / Twin Elms being "large BG sized Cities" was an insult.. theme parks stuffed with death touched npcs smoking pipes.
  • Tried the expansions.. got bored pretty quickly.
    • Maybe they are good.. but the NPC's are boring.. the first area is boring..
  • Mega Dungeon was what I expected but the lack of proper itemization made it largely pointless after my first playthrough.

Along with the NWN2 Trial cutscene - I begin to wonder if Obsidian is just a one trick pony.
I rate the game a 4.. but had to vote J_C is a cuck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All the people who vote for cuck are just playing at my hands, this way I can get a very positve result for PoE in the voting. :smug: Keep it up, so I can bring this polll up everytime I need to prove how much the Codex loves PoE!

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Keep it up, so I can bring this polll up everytime I need to prove how much the Codex loves PoE!
Everybody will forget about POE in 2 years. You see POE for us is like The Fall: Last Days of Gaya. We play it because we have nothing better to play in its subgenre. It's not a masterpiece like Fallout 1 or PS:T, not a flawed gem with strong redeeming qualities like Bloodlines or Arkanum. It's not bad, but it doesn't make it a good game. POE is bland, flawed, somewhat solid game.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
People here are probably waiting for big, angry rants from bitter fanboys, so let me give it a try.

I only played PoE when it was released. Got incredibly bored after about 5-10 hours, haven't been able to return to PoE since, and I probably never will, since most people tell that it's only going to get worse. Wasting 150€ on this garbage scarred me for life, now the collector's edition sits on my shelf, mocking me every time I accidentally lay my eyes on it. Betting on Cleve was more beneficial than betting on this shit.

The release version's combat was incredibly repetitive, time-consuming and dull. Not gaining exp from killing enemies makes fighting trash mobs utterly pointless. Itemization is one of the worst I've ever seen in any RPG. There's nothing to loot, no discoveries to be made anywhere. Most NPCs seem bland at least in the beginning. The way talking to NPCs brings obnoxious walls of text with absolutely no significance to anything you're doing is infuriating. I loved to read dialogue and story text in BG, but that was because the world and characters were believable, consistent and interesting, but in PoE we have only empty filler text to appeal to drooling PS:T fanboys. So what's left? Story? Most people seem to rate it mediocre or worse. Audiovisuals? Music is mediocre at best. Graphix are nice, but if I want to play a pretty game with shitty gameplay I turn to FFXIII.

Not going to give rating because haven't played the patched version, but I doubt it's worth playing either.

Severian Silk

I gave it an 8.

I was going to give it an 8.5 and round up to 9 because of the lore and audiovisuals, but then I had to admit it did *not* meet my expectations after following the kickstarter, and rounded down to an 8. The combat was pretty lame, and the ending really was disappointing/weak. I don't feel a need to replay this any time soon.

This again? Voted is a cuck cause I've not touched the game since release and there is no fucking way I'm ever going to force myself to play it again, patches or not. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
All the people who vote for cuck are just playing at my hands, this way I can get a very positve result for PoE in the voting. :smug: Keep it up, so I can bring this polll up everytime I need to prove how much the Codex loves PoE!

i'm sorry to inform you but the poll is non-binding

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Keep it up, so I can bring this polll up everytime I need to prove how much the Codex loves PoE!
Everybody will forget about POE in 2 years.
I think people said this 2 years ago already, yet we still talk about it. And it really doesn't matter if they forget it or not. This is a videogame, I don't think jerking off to old classics all the time means anything. I can find dozens of old games in my GOG account that people enjoy a lot, yet they don't talk about it that much.

i'm sorry to inform you but the poll is non-binding
How can you say that? This must be an official poll approved by the United Nations itself!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I couldn't give a shit what vote or rating PoE gets in this thread. I don't enjoy the game and think it has many flaws and 30 forum polls a month isn't going to change that.

The fact fanboys need constant validation on this forum for their tastes speaks volumes.
Exactly who are you trying to prove this game is good to? Us or yourself?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I think you are overcomplicating this Immortal. I don't want to prove to anyone, I just want to see what is the opinion about this game on average. Because all you can see in the PoE threads is a lot of hate, but it seems there are only a few people who hate it and constatly flooding the threads with their negativity.

There are some people who re stating that PoE was a failure in the eyes of the codex. Well, it seems it is only a failure for a very few.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
How can you say that? This must be an official poll approved by the United Nations itself!

no poll is official if it doesnt show how everyone voted
I made a mistake, and I will pay for it. Unfortunately I can't edit the poll to show the voter's name now. Maybe I will make another rating poll in a few days. :M

Gord

Arcane
Due to not having played White March yet, I'm withholding any vote.
But based on my experience with vanilla after a couple of patches, I'd give it ~7.5 - a good game, sometimes very good, but with flaws and a good step away from becoming an all-time classic.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It's almost as if normal people don't frequent the dev-specific subforums and only nonwhite low-iq imbeciles and Roxor post here, which has the effect of chilling all meaningful discussion about these titles and creating safe spaces for retarded fanboys to sperg about their non-games without being threatened by Truth & Beauty (since they know only Falsehood & Ugliness).

Makes you think who'd benefit from such a nefarious scheme
Yeah, sure, this must the reason for the positive outcome. Not because contrary to some edgelord's opinion, most people don't think that PoE is a bad game. But I'm sure the haters can always come up with a good excuse.
"but..but...but you made the vote in the honeymoon perioud, thus it is false"
"but-but-but, you made the the vote in the wrong forum, that's why it is positive"

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's almost as if normal people don't frequent the dev-specific subforums and only nonwhite low-iq imbeciles and Roxor post here
Despicable indeed. Why don't you retreat from this reprehensible den of escapism to a more reputable and agreeable part of Codexia, o monocled one?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its interesting to see that the majority of codexers vote it an 8, whereas on the board it often sounds like the game was to rpg enthusiasts what was the invention of aids to africa.

I also voted it an 8. I don't get the butthurt. It's not perfect, but its far from mediocre also. Liked Wasteland 2 DC a bit better, which i would rate a 8.5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom