Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, sure, this must the reason for the positive outcome. Not because contrary to some edgelord's opinion, most people don't think that PoE is a bad game. But I'm sure the haters can always come up with a good excuse.

If you look at the 2015 Codex GOTY the game received a lot of negative votes, enough to almost push it out of the top 20 in the scoring system used for the vote. If you need a poll 15 months after release to justify or reinforce your opinion that it is a good game, then fine.

Most of the codexers I know that enjoy the IE gameplay quite a lot did not like the Pillars gameplay, for one reason or another (often different reasons). Most of the codexers I see that enjoy Pillars don't like the IE gameplay that much, or enjoy it but not to the same degree that the group that really likes it does.

Me specifically, I have completed only one Obsidian game - Knights of the Old Republic II, which was their first game. I played Neverwinter Nights 2, and never finished it. No game of their since has interested me, and after Pillars, I doubt another one will.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You may resume feeling safe and smugly content in your ignorance.
Nigga please. First, any PoE-related topic created in GRPGD would end up here anyway, wouldn't it? Second, there's over 100 votes to date - how many do you need to admit that people who are mostly content with what PoE is aren't a marginal group of mainstream casuals who ended up in this prestigious club by mistake? Third, "wrong poll, wrong results" is a p. weak defense - you should know that much.

So why don't you drop your passive aggressive charade and speak plainly? What do you have against PoE specifically and Obsidian in general? Also, what is your opinion about the IE games? I would vote Sensuki for president of Cuckland but I agree with him about one thing: we cannot judge PoE without looking back at BG & Co. If you hate the whole (isometric) RTwP deal, I seriously doubt you can contribute anything remotely productive here.

polo

Magister
Well you are asking to rate it to the people who actually bought the expansion, so they initially liked the game. I didn't even finish the main campaing, cause i got bored, so i never got the expansion, ergo i can't really rate the 'final' game. I can rate the game i backed tho, and its a 6 at most.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you need a poll 15 months after release to justify or reinforce your opinion that it is a good game, then fine.
Hey, I don't want to justify anything. It was actually you a year ago who said that you are wondering what people will think when the honeymoon period is over. Here it is. Many people like it, and it is not a colossal fuck up as some Codexians claim it to be in every PoE thread. It is actually the other way around. Whenever a thread or poll comes up about PoE being a good or at least decent game, the hate defense force make cheap excuses that it is not and it is shit.

I was a bit worried that the haters don't turn up in this thread, and the thread won't deliver, but people are starting crawling in. :P

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
many people like it

Just over a third of Codexers who voted in the GOTY, yes.

It is also the second most hated game of last year, after Fallout 4.

8K9hJUO.png

(according to the [much better] poll than this one, anyway)

Last edited:

Severian Silk

What does sorta liking PoE make me? What will my colleagues think of me?

Will this ruin my marriage and my relationship with my kids?

megarolleyes-original.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is also the second most hated game of last year, after Fallout 4.

8K9hJUO.png
And it is the 5th most enjoyed one, so?
(according to the [much better] poll than this one, anyway)
There is no better poll than mine. Mine is clean, without any statistical shinanigans. Just rate the game, bamm. Clean and simple.

Jinn

Arcane
I feel that's a fair request. It's far too often topics get ignored because of the labyrinths of subforums around here.

Sensuki

Arcane
You are the second person who makes a big thing about this. Infinitron Would it be possible to move this thread to the main GRPG forum?

No, I'm just saying that the Codex GOTY poll is about as definitive as it's going to get and no poll you make is going to garner the same number of votes. It's unlikely that many people who voted in the poll will change their vote up or down by more than a point if asked again.

Hopefully I'll be able to make some of my pledge money back by selling my PE CE during the PE2 Figstarter.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Poll lacks the option "the game was too pointless to rate it or discuss it and definitely too pointless to check the patches and/or buy the expansions" to make any sort of sense.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I rate the game a 4.. but had to vote J_C is a cuck.
All the people who vote for cuck are just playing at my hands, this way I can get a very positve result for PoE in the voting. :smug: Keep it up, so I can bring this polll up everytime I need to prove how much the Codex loves PoE!

I was going to chide you for adding the JC is a cuck option to sneakily suck away negative votes but you yourself just admitted to doing that :|

veskoandroid

Educated
Im at the end of game atm. Cant say its hateable, haters gonna hate, its their personal problem. But the story is shallow, no grip at all. If the story was good the game would have been epic. It's patch 3.02 btw. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

As I stated from the start developers are patching the hell of the latest releases and that's a very good thing. In the past patching was not that easy to implement because of the slow internet connection : Pillars of Eternity, Divinity : OS; Wasteland 2, Underrail, Grim Dawn all have been patched out and even received different releases. Hope the new ones will follow the same plan.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a 7. I can't find enough reasons to "hate" it and I did have more or less decent time with it for the most part, but it's also the sort of game that it doesn't matter if a sequel takes a while longer to become a reality. I'm not all that anxious to get back to it.

Theldaran

Liturgist
As an IE games successor it should be 0 to 1 (out of 10), since it misses the mark completely, as encouraged by D&D hater Sawyer. It's inferior in every respect to them, except in the story, that's just a matter of personal tastes and IE games were never story oriented so who cares...

As an RPG and general videogame though, it should earn 4 to 5, a slightly tolerable experience that benefits from a real lack of competition on its department. Well, considering latest videogames tend to suck, not much can be asked of this game, that was also crowdfunded. Like in the glaring case of Mighty no. 9, it gathered way more money than initially expected, and I really don't think they spent all the earnings on development. But who knows...

Sannom

Augur
As an RPG and general videogame though, it should earn 4 to 5, a slightly tolerable experience that benefits from a real lack of competition on its department. Well, considering latest videogames tend to suck, not much can be asked of this game, that was also crowdfunded. Like in the glaring case of Mighty no. 9, it gathered way more money than initially expected, and I really don't think they spent all the earnings on development. But who knows...
On what do you believe that they spent the earnings aside from development?

Theldaran

Liturgist
On what do you believe that they spent the earnings aside from development?

It's a spiky subject so I won't say too much. But I believe Obsidian, prior to this project was in economical shambles and they recovered thanks to POE (of course it also sold well). Also, way too much money was spent on developing the engine itself, so now they use it as a base for games like Tyranny and what the future may hold. Of course, the engine is critical to the game, but I think it consumed a lot of resources that were substracted from other areas of the game.

So, what I'm saying is that backers fundamentally secured a future for Obsidian, an engine for their games and a sneak peek of what they have in store (that was POE).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pillars of Eternity went slightly overbudget. :M

Theldaran

Liturgist
Obsidian's engines tend to be half broken. This is a welcome change, though it will be milked off to hell and back in future games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom