Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Division by Ubisoft

Zanzoken

Arcane
I tried TD2 over the free weekend and decided that for $3 it was worth keeping.

It's a good game to have on standby for whenever I just want a couple hours of mindless distraction.

ADL

Prophet
The Year 2 expansion Warlords of New York launched early on PC today. Don't know about the other platforms but my friends are loving it. Build variety went through the roof with gear 2.0 and the content sounds fun.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I bought this for $3 I had left on an old gift card a bit ago. I’ll never put another cent into it but it’s decent mindless fun to play a few shooting galleries and watch your numbers go up.

I put 10 hours in before this update. They have completely changed itemization, item modding, and skill modding to the point where everything I had collected for my current character is now doing different shit (I guess every existing item got re-rolled under the new rules). I don’t have a lot put into the game but I imagine that’d be pretty annoying if you had a geared out character. I’ve yet to see if the system is actually more interesting to play with or just a way to push toward some other paid content or something. Either way, if it gets boring I’m out $3 so whatever.

Hellion

Arcane
I've been roaming around the new expansion areas in NY looking for known landmarks just for the lolz. Apparently, Ubisoft has removed the Greek-Orthodox church of St. Nicholas from the game world, and replaced it with a... Museum of Modern Art.

RzvO6tf.png

JQWKrVK.png

co0XIrm.png

The map stops exactly next to the limits of the WTC Memorial Park, too. God forbid they included something so offensive in the game.

i knew nothing about the game before going into it. after going into it, i realised there was nothing to know. the very definition of "banal, shit, boring", just a bunch of banal, shit, boring skills, a fistful of banal, shit, boring weapons, some banal, shit, boring armors on the side, cookie cutter banal, shit, boring fed-ex missions "go somewhere, kill everything, press f once or twice to pay respect to your dignity". i enjoyed only graphics and atmosphere, but after covid and seattle it completely lost its novelty value.
i'll never wrap my head around how this absolute turd got enough money to secure a sequel.

Dexter

Arcane
There was a Free Weekend for The Division 2 and I played it for like 8 hours. WTF happened? The game looks worse than The Division did, it doesn't support SLI when the first did and there's Texture Popins everywhere... Feels like a Cheapo Expansion for the first game with a lot less Budget and care.

Dexter

Arcane
yeah dude I tried to toggle 3dfx glide and it wouldnt let me smh
I don't get it, are you people acting retarded on purpose? SLI worked perfectly fine on The Division, it's how I played the game at 4K with 60FPS+ and it looked much better than The Division 2 too:

Also works perfectly fine on most other UbiShit titles I've tried it on like Far Cry 3/5: https://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-5-settings-and-benchmarks/ AC3/4/Unity, For Honor etc.

Monk

Arcane
"UPDATE: The Division Movie Coming To Netflix"

Starring Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal, The Division is set in the near future, where a virus is spread via paper money on Black Friday, decimating the city of New York. By Christmas, what’s left of society has descended into chaos. A group of civilians, trained to operate in catastrophic times, are activated to save who and what remains.

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how even the time limited events they sometimes run require you have the expansion.

ADL

Prophet
What's the alternative? Never interfacing with anything outside the contents of the base game just so everyone has open access to it? Other games do that and it sucks. Who plays The Division 2 these days and doesn't have Warlords of New York at this point? It goes on sale pretty regularly for under $15 during various sales. Just checked and it's on PSN right now for $8.99

Codex Year of the Donut
I was going to buy the division 2, tried the trial just to find out it uses EasyAntiCheat.
:deathclaw:

Why must games insist on installing a rootkit just to play them?

ADL

Prophet

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Season 9 and Countdown LIVE today!

The 1.5 year wait for new content is finally over.

Time to get grinding, agents!

Latelistener

Arcane
Been playing the first game extensively for the last couple of months or so. Reminds me a bit of Hellgate: London, which was made by the former Diablo 1/2 devs and can be considered as the first looter shooter. Other than that, it's also set in an actual city, which is a big plus for me.

Not sure why it's in the MMORPG section though. It's as much MMO as Diablo. 95% of the game can be completed solo, with the exception of 4 Incursions, which is a high end group content and only one of them actually requires at least 2 people to complete.

The good:

- nice gameplay loop. Works as good as any other third person shooter, but better because of RPG elements
- there is an actual proper building with a lot of autism involved that's been missing from many similar newer games. There are 14 armor sets for different playstyles, some better than others but most of them are viable
- the atmosphere is top notch, especially in the Survival mode where you're in the middle of a huge blizzard slowly dying from an infection
- Dark Zone is a nice idea. It's an extraction shooter (probably the first?) inside the main game, where dropped loot can only be extracted through a chopper
- visuals are still great, with a lot of details

The bad:

- typical Ubisoft game with 5 or so types of sidequests. Luckily, the real game starts at level 30
- a lot of equipment is useless. I'm especially torn about exotic weapons, which are supposed to be the top tier weapons but instead 90% of it is pure trash
- Dark Zone is nice, but pvp itself is shit. If they really wanted PvP, they should've made it more skill-based and less tied to your gear. They tried it with normalization, but failed
- the main story is anticlimatic if you even care about it in this type of game, with no feeling of progression and some factions make no sense

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom