Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Athelas

Arcane
The main novelty of Qunari in DA:I seems to be emphasizing the horns, which is what you hold onto...

...while you 'ride the bull'. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

set

Arcane
Qunari changed twice as a race

What was their second change?

Qunari in DA:O was basically Sten's descriptions of them.
In DA2, they are only vaguely similar to Sten's descriptions.
In DA3, thye only further twist Qunari, violating Sten's descriptions AND the Qunari you experienced in DA2. None of the Qunari I have seen in DA3 resemble the people in DA2 or DAO.
I'm interested in how they changed in DA:I. Don't be afraid to spoil it for me.

I plan to do a single video on the DA series... at some point. I plan to compare three main aspects:

Aesthetics (imagery, soundscape, key ideas)
Gameplay and class systems
Story and theme

I don't feel comfortable explaining my ranting in detail without having exact quotes on hand; I'm not a walking encyclopedia, but I remember experiencing contradictions. I mean, the Iron Bull just flatout contradicts everything we've ever experienced about the Qunari. In some ways, that's totally fine, because hey people do contradict their societies from time to time, I just don't think it's appropriate as the Qunari are maybe the only interesting conflict in DA ever and they just continue to make that group of people more and more undefinable and meaningless.

I just need to wait for when DA3 is cheap so I can screencapture the parts I'll want to quote.

Maybe if I had the benefit of the novels, I could appreciate BioWare's "story", but I have no interest in reading that shit and I shouldn't be expected to.

Franny Frogpill

Educated
Apparently the patch broke the game further, people on Gaf/BSN are lamenting few issues already.
Yep, lots and lots of tears on the bioware forums. But lo and behold - the biodrone defense squad has arrived:
This is what happens when your entitled whining makes EA/BioWare nervous: They're rushing patches.
:happytrollboy:Cackle. I'm almost fond of them. Biodrones are always good for a laugh.

you open it at your own risk

I MEAN IT

8FaRwvA.jpg

:kfc:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I want to don a tinfoil hat and say they're making everything look shittier so consoles won't look vastly inferior, but maybe it's just plain incompetence.
Or perhaps the patch resets graphics settings to "medium", and Dragon Age buyers are too dense to notice.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
  • Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender

Trans-phobia in three... two... one...
Actually there was a bug, where after doing certain things game thought permanently that your main character is of opposite genre. I think that certain thing was saving, but I think it has to be at specific place, or doing specific condition before.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I think all these GFX artifacts after patch are caused by Denuvo. It can't recognize original exe anymore, thus it tries to apply copy protection.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
  • Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender

Trans-phobia in three... two... one...
Actually there was a bug, where after doing certain things game thought permanently that your main character is of opposite genre. I think that certain thing was saving, but I think it has to be at specific place, or doing specific condition before.

Next time I see a trans person in real life would it be a good idea to tell them that their existence is a bug?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Found a refreshingly reasonable review on IncGamers. Their summary:
Rubbish controls, dull combat, and a general sense that it's not quite sure what it wants to be, let down an otherwise entertaining and regularly amusing world-saving romp. 6/10

I stumbled across IncGamers a couple of days ago when they complained about DA:I's PC controls. Does anybody know something about them?

I played it on a PC with a controller and it was fine. I honestly think the vibrate function sustained me, to a point, not least because I was holding it directly in my lap.

but I was playing with melee, so there was no real targeting, and basically just whirlwinded everythign, so I didn't even need facing that much. throbthrobthrob. when I briefly played multiplayer as an archer, the controller felt terrible. imprecise targeting at range, y'know. and dropping AoEs all the time would've been absolutely miserable. didn't try it with mouse+keyboard because as a PC gamer I don't get enough controllerable stuff in my life. throoob

my biggest problem with the interface was just the looting. each enemy drops its own loot bag, rather than condensed. you ahve to walk up to each one, hit A, bend down for an I-shit-you-not three-second animation, look, stand up again, go to the next one. actually, the post-combat loot anim might be shorter than that, but when you're looking plants or rocks in the wild, it really is about two and a half seconds every time. and they're all over the place. and you "need" a lot of them (you don't need them, the game won't actually give a shit if you build all the stuff it gives you to build or not). why is there an animation at all, again? why can't I just run by it and hit a and get it? why can I set things up to autoloot everyone telekinetically after combat?

I wish I had a timer for how much of the game was just loot animations. if it was less than an hour, I'd be surprised, and if it were a lot more, I wouldn't be.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Finished the game. All that needs to be said has already been said. I think this review, despite the writer's obvious love for the franchise, basically sums it up:

http://johnswritersblock.com/2014/12/02/ending-dragonage-inquisition/
This guy hits it absolutely dead spot on. "The ending made me feel nothing" is exactly right--only after investing so much time, "feeling nothing" is like having your will to live drained away.

Like him, I was really looking to the end to change my opinion of the game. I thought, like him, we might learn some mystery about the nature of the setting--hints are dropped all over. We could, like he says, have gone to the Black City. We could've had a BG2-style trip through aspects of ourselves in the Fade, a setting -designed- for that. And, as he says, -Skyhold could actually have mattered.-

But it's just a boss fight. And not even one that leaves you with a corpse. You literally just turn Corypheus green and make him disappear, with your line "You want into the Fade?" WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? Did you SEND him there? Like, by killing him? But you just turnedh im green and vanishedh im. You know that means he'll be coming back, right? You've seen movie, right, Inquisitor?

It's such a fucking disappointment. I fully agree that the ME2 suicide mission was everything an RPG climax should be--you can watch important characters die around you or you can save everygoddamnone, and you can know that, if you do, it's because you did things just right.

Instead of in Inquisition, where you realize that setting everything right was -exactly the wrong thing to do- because you could've been learning the cello during the 90 hours that weren't relevant to the main plot and everything would've been exactly the same.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Can someone please tell me that there are more to the sidequest than these Far Cry-esque "Go to these corners of the map and pick these up" filler missions?

Please.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Can someone please tell me that there are more to the sidequest than these Far Cry-esque "Go to these corners of the map and pick these up" filler missions?

Please.
One thing
I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind
I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
[Chester]
All I know

Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down 'till the end of the day
The clock ticks life away

It's so unreal

You didn't look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, you didn't even know
I wasted it all just to

Watch you go

I kept everything inside
And even though I tried
It all fell apart
What it meant to me will eventually
Be a memory of a time when

I've tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

One thing, I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind I designed this rhyme
To remind myself how

I tried so hard

In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I'm surprised, it

Got so far

Things aren't the way they were before
You wouldn't even recognize me any more
Not that you knew me back then
But it all comes back to me

In the end

You kept everything inside
And even though I tried
It all fell apart
What it meant to me will eventually
Be a memory
Of a time when

I've tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There's only one thing you should've known

I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There's only one thing you should've known

I've tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's such a fucking disappointment. I fully agree that the ME2 suicide mission was everything an RPG climax should be--you can watch important characters die around you or you can save everygoddamnone, and you can know that, if you do, it's because you did things just right.

Instead of in Inquisition, where you realize that setting everything right was -exactly the wrong thing to do- because you could've been learning the cello during the 90 hours that weren't relevant to the main plot and everything would've been exactly the same.

I imagine the developers were absolutely determined to play it totally safe on the ending after ME3. In, out, have your party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom