Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Slow James

Savant
Wasn't it Jaheira who had the dead husband? I don't remember the drow having one.

..and I always considered the Jaheira romance to be the most involving, the most resonant.. and I thought the music for it was superb.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to (Jaheira not Viconia) - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramireza

Savant
Of course it is not surprising. But I still find it silly when AAA publishers claim that turn based games can not sell anymore when Pokemon pulls off 10+ million copies sold, with nearly every mainline game. Of course like you said, people will pull off the "its just Nintendo" excuse.

Making shooters with perks rather than shitstains like this wouldnt be too bad though. I would rather play mass effect 3 than play this abortion.

Lets face it : AAA Companies didnt have any clue whats the gamers want. I mean look at Minecraft, Counterstrike, MOBA´s or DayZ. All these Game didnt have any "flow" or are user frienly, but they are very succesfull.

Slow James

Savant
Pokemon is kinda of an odd duck, it's a social phenomenon and doesn't really make much sense to compare it to other turn-based RPG.

A lot of people who play Pokemon don't play other RPG and play it because it's Pokemon.

True. Just like Smash Brothers being on the list - people don't buy fighting games anymore. But they gobble up Smash games like they were crack.

Ironically, by staying true to their original games' formulas, Nintendo is able to keep entire genres of the industry afloat. Platformers (Mario), adventure games (Zelda), turn based RPGs (Pokemon), fighting games (Smash Brothers)... their only big title that has undergone the most changes is Metroid, which has become a weird 3D FPS of sorts. Still, Nintendo's success cannot be translated to other companies - the Kinect is proof of that.

Slow James

Savant
Lets face it : AAA Companies didnt have any clue whats the gamers want. I mean look at Minecraft, Counterstrike, MOBA´s or DayZ. All these Game didnt have any "flow" or are user frienly, but they are very succesfull.

Companies can't understand what is fun. It is all a box on a project management schedule checklist, unable to really grasp that implementation and execution are 90% of the appeal of games, not strictly just a feature list.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah, but Viconia's romance was the only normal one. I found both Aeria and Jaheira's romances creepy, for different reasons.

Yeah... "Hey, your husband was just killed due to someone wanting to kidnap me... wanna bang?"

It is somewhat... problematic.

Wasn't it Jaheira who had the dead husband? I don't remember the drow having one.

..and I always considered the Jaheira romance to be the most involving, the most resonant.. and I thought the music for it was superb.

Yes, and the romantic music starts playing before her husband's body has started to decompose.

I liked Anomen romance, not that you guys will care much. I did try all female NPC romances as well to satisfy my curiosity and I do agree both Aerie and Jaheira romance was absolutely disturbing. I was actually really disappointed with Jaheira... I saw her as my Bhaalspawn's mentor when I was playing female PC... then I experienced the horror when I rolled male PC.

My problem with Anomen's romance was that it switched between romantic interest/psychotherapist, and I am not a fan of this trope, because in real life the belief that you can "heal a guy with issues through the power of your love" can get you killed. Apparently there was a Valygar romance planned, but they cancelled that (but then it might have been centered around his family issues, so it's probably for the best, I really liked his character).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bioware is now under EA and DA:I was four years in the making. Being profitable is the primary goal for an independent developer paid by project, but large corporations like EA pursue the return of investment and use it as a performance indicator. The fate of the DA franchise will be decided by this: if the board of directors thinks that the same budget used for DA:I could have been spent on a project with a higher ROI, then we can be pretty sure DA4 will never see the light of day.

Agreed, and this is something a lot of people don't understand. It's not about profit for EA, it's about the largest possible return on investment. Now, if digital and long-tail Christmas sales bump this fucker up to 5 million copies then fair enough. However if it's still not the Bethesda competitor EA needs it to be (competitor not "killer," please note) then I would still guess they will see opportunities for greater ROI elsewhere, or if not then a greater ROI through tweaking the Dragon Age formula (again). We'll find out during their next investor talk, I'm sure.

Either way I'm sure the high reviews and game of the year awards have everyone in Bioware thinking they hit a homerun, annoyingly.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
this is probably gonna be inflammatory to the conservanerds, but does anyone else see a really uncomfortable parallel between Vivienne's support for the Templars and the police violence situation in the US today? I know it can't've been intentional, with how long the game's been in development, but especially the fact that they made her black makes her seem like an Uncle Tomplar character. there are codex entries all over the game about templars burning chantries down, murdering kid mages just because and otherwise behaving like absolute monsters in a very "militarized police" kind of way, and Vivienne's attitude seems to be "well sometimes that's just what needs to happen to mages!"

it strikes me as very much akin to a wealthy black American saying "well Michael Brown was a young thug and that 13-year-old boy with a toy gun was a threat to the officer's life, they brought it on themselves"

I want to dismiss the comparison as absurd, but I can't get it out of my head. not least because I think I did all of her content and she never even began to justify her views. she was just happy to be rich and powerful and essentially beyond the reach of the templars, totally and smugly indifferent to the rural chantries getting purged. like, she doesn't even manage to express regret or show empathy. she seems totally content with the occasional localized genocide being an accepted part of the system. it'd still've been an uncomfortable parallel even if the character were white, of course, but having her be black makes it almost look deliberate in a really, really dark way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Immersion fags aren't into romance simulator/fantasy fan fiction for teens, they want walk around, see some pretty sights and kill shit. Unmodded Skyrim has pretty shitty action combat gameplay but fuck if Bethesda knows how to impress you with sights, the rest of the game is shit but the virtual tourism part is pretty well done even if the rest of the game is really shitty. Same thing with Ass Creed and the whole historical virtual tourism simulator. The mistake of Bioware was to waste time with their usual fan fiction without giving immersion fags something to see.

While Dragon Age has some nice graphics on the technical level, it failed on trying to simulate a virtual world like Skyrim. Besides the whole PR of you controlling a party really scare casual immersion fags that mistake the game to require them to do tactics when they just want to kill shit, Bioware should turn Dragon Age on Mass Effect with swords already or be happy with their four million fan base and return to Dragon Age Origins time.

eremita

Savant
this is probably gonna be inflammatory to the conservanerds, but does anyone else see a really uncomfortable parallel between Vivienne's support for the Templars and the police violence situation in the US today? I know it can't've been intentional, with how long the game's been in development, but especially the fact that they made her black makes her seem like an Uncle Tomplar character. there are codex entries all over the game about templars burning chantries down, murdering kid mages just because and otherwise behaving like absolute monsters in a very "militarized police" kind of way, and Vivienne's attitude seems to be "well sometimes that's just what needs to happen to mages!"

it strikes me as very much akin to a wealthy black American saying "well Michael Brown was a young thug and that 13-year-old boy with a toy gun was a threat to the officer's life, they brought it on themselves"

I want to dismiss the comparison as absurd, but I can't get it out of my head. not least because I think I did all of her content and she never even began to justify her views. she was just happy to be rich and powerful and essentially beyond the reach of the templars, totally and smugly indifferent to the rural chantries getting purged. like, she doesn't even manage to express regret or show empathy. she seems totally content with the occasional localized genocide being an accepted part of the system. it'd still've been an uncomfortable parallel even if the character were white, of course, but having her be black makes it almost look deliberate in a really, really dark way.
Seem like she's gonna be my favorite character.

Prime Junta

crawlkill Eh, that's not the only way BioWare fucked up race and class. Typical of how they approach everything. "We don't wanna be racist, so let's just randomize everybody's race." Oops, Vivienne. And they won't even realize what's wrong even if somebody draws them a picture.

pippin

It's not absurd, crawkill, and it's legitimate, even if it's made from Bio's "peculiar" writing style. But all the whine just makes me want to be a codexian blood mage, which is the next thing i'm going to do in Origins if I ever feel like going through that again.

Slow James

Savant
crawlkill Eh, that's not the only way BioWare fucked up race and class. Typical of how they approach everything. "We don't wanna be racist, so let's just randomize everybody's race." Oops, Vivienne. And they won't even realize what's wrong even if somebody draws them a picture.

To be fair, Vivienne was introduced (as black) in the books back in 2012, I believe.

No, what was worse was that they made a cussing, stealing, gang-banging self-confessed slut/slattern the only black character in DA2 (Isabella). Thankfully for Bioware, their social awareness ineptitude was only alleviated by their graphics engine unable to make convincing black people, despite what their art and writing teams envisioned the characters to look like.

I mean... can you imagine the whiplash if Bioware had actually succeeded in making that character look black, when there wasn't a single other one in the game?

To be fair, Vivienne was introduced (as black) in the books back in 2012, I believe.

No, what was worse was that they made a cussing, stealing, gang-banging self-confessed slut/slattern the only black character in DA2 (Isabella). Thankfully for Bioware, their social awareness ineptitude was only alleviated by their graphics engine unable to make convincing black people, despite what their art and writing teams envisioned the characters to look like.

I mean... can you imagine the whiplash if Bioware had actually succeeded in making that character look black, when there wasn't a single other one in the game?
lol Isabella is from Rivain, the same as Duncan in DAO. They are both latino not niggers. Even on concept arts she is swarthy not nigger black.
Isabela_concept.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well ... police abuse of power and accusations of racism weren't invented this year.

And be careful about admitting that this game actually struck a chord and made you think about parallels with real life social issues. That would make you a tool of Bioware's evil SJW agenda.

Slow James

Savant
lol Isabella is from Rivain, the same as Duncan in DAO. They are both latino not niggers. Even on concept arts she is swarthy not nigger black.
Isabela_concept.jpg

Mary Kirby, the writer who both wrote and actually created Isabella's appearance in DA:O, says she is black. Tan (or "Latino" as you put it) was the darkest skin tone available in DA:O or DA2. They wanted to go darker, but the engine would not allow them to.

EDIT: also, Duncan is half white and half black/Half Fereleden and half Rivain. Again, the writers confirmed the "blackness" of both characters.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And be careful about admitting that this game actually struck a chord and made you think about parallels with real life social issues. That would make you a tool of Bioware's evil SJW agenda.
Why? It's very common to have such parallels in Bioware games. Some are badly done, and some are well done, as it always has been with them.

Personally, the way they handled this issue was very subdued with Vivienne, which is a good thing, but it doesn't get enough development/attention to be interesting IMO

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Yeah, that's what I was referring to (Jaheira not Viconia) - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool.

Last edited:

dryan

Arcane
Isabela_concept.jpg

Mary Kirby, the writer who both wrote and actually created Isabella's appearance in DA:O, says she is black. Tan (or "Latino" as you put it) was the darkest skin tone available in DA:O or DA2. They wanted to go darker, but the engine would not allow them to.

EDIT: also, Duncan is half white and half black/Half Fereleden and half Rivain. Again, the writers confirmed the "blackness" of both characters.

That's probably made up on the spot to please the SJW retards.

Isabela_concept.jpg

he can say whatever the fuck he wants. Fact is Isabela was white redhead in DAO and than swarthy latino bitch in DA2. I am not going to pretend she is a nigger while playing DAO only because Kirby said thats his headcanon and if she ever appeared again in DA games i doubt she would look like fucking Maasai.

Slow James

Savant
he can say whatever the fuck he wants. Fact is Isabela was white redhead in DAO and than swarthy latino bitch in DA2. I am not going to pretend she is a nigger while playing DAO only because Kirby said thats his headcanon and if she ever appeared again in DA games i doubt she would look like fucking Maasai.

Technically Mary is a girl... but whatever. The intent was to make her as dark as possible in both games. Apparently lighting in the Pearl made her much lighter than how she looked:

010f77e144be950768a68373dc23298a.jpg

...regardless, besides the point. If that was their intent, they failed... Which is for the best. If people feel Vivienne being pro-Templar hits too close a vein to real world events, I can't imagine what a black Isabella would have resulted in.

But Vivienne being pro-Templar is the best thing about her character. Those whiny posts about her on BSN :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom