Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Slow James

Savant
Dragon Age: Inquisition did not make it into the top 10 of best selling games for November in the US.

1.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
2.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
3.) Super Smash Bros. (NWU, 3DS)
4.) Madden NFL 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
5.) Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
6.) Far Cry 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
7.) Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
9.) Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4, XBO, PC)
10.) Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)

Game of the Year, bro.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have YET to see, experience, or play through a good Bioware romance. This has been an issue since BG2.

They all all shit, end of story.

purpleblob

Augur
I liked Anomen romance, not that you guys will care much. I did try all female NPC romances as well to satisfy my curiosity and I do agree both Aerie and Jaheira romance was absolutely disturbing. I was actually really disappointed with Jaheira... I saw her as my Bhaalspawn's mentor when I was playing female PC... then I experienced the horror when I rolled male PC.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Awesome. If they can't win console gamers back after Origins then this series is dead.
Honestly, this was obvious since 2013. And the complete lack of competition in 2014 just confirmed it.

I mean some games were pretty good - Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta, Wolfenstein, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadow of Mordor but nowhere near the quality of DAI and considering how massive this game and its replay value is... It wasn't hard choice. There was only one way this could've gone in favor of another game but... Ubisoft Montreal did everything possible and impossible to royally mess up, totally screw and completely fuck up Assassin's Creed Unity in ways that not even the Devil himself is evil enough to do.

Wanna bet which game will be GOTY for 2015? Anyone thinks that any game will be able to compete with The Witcher 3 in 2015? Nope, didn't think so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2oz0re/game_of_the_year_is_obvious_dai_is_leading_atm_at/

Maybe that's why EA is pushing hard for GoTYs all over the place.

Stinger

Arcane
Dragon Age: Inquisition did not make it into the top 10 of best selling games for November in the US.

How the fuck is AC: Unity still selling when nobody can actually play it?

Slow James

Savant

Awesome. If they can't win console gamers back after Origins then this series is dead.

Nah. Five platforms, tons of marketing, shiny graphics... this will be Bioware's best selling game of all time. Expect many more sequels just like it.

If that reduces your faith in humanity, trust me - you aren't alone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nah. Five platforms, tons of marketing, shiny graphics... this will be Bioware's best selling game of all time. Expect many more sequels just like it.

Don't instantly assume this because it has a lot of marketing. Games like this DO fail. Dragon Age 2 sold pretty poorly for that kind of game. This one not even showing on the US charts (and entering the UK charts pretty low) is a big red flag. The original game supposedly played like shit on console so people could have definitely been scared off the series. Lots of competition right now on new consoles too. Nothing is a guaranteed success.

pippin

People are gullible enough to have faith. It's the battered wife syndrome, they think Ubi will fix every bug and say "hey, aren't they cool for doing that?".

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Am I the only person who thinks Corypheus looks utterly ridiculous? Just that combination of long, gaunt body and comically oversized head makes him look cartoonish.

Does 'Game of the Year' even mean anything anymore? I mean, how many games last year were given that title? Off the top of my head I remember GTAV, The Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite all got that title. Unless we're measuring the pedigree of the person who awarded it, in which case we're talking about the fucking Dorito Pope, the guy who's become a laughing stock for being a burnt out husk of a man who has to wear a adult diaper now because his ass is so thoroughly ruined from getting pounded repeatedly by AAA devs.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Yeah, but Viconia's romance was the only normal one. I found both Aeria and Jaheira's romances creepy, for different reasons.

Yeah... "Hey, your husband was just killed due to someone wanting to kidnap me... wanna bang?"

It is somewhat... problematic.

Wasn't it Jaheira who had the dead husband? I don't remember the drow having one.

..and I always considered the Jaheira romance to be the most involving, the most resonant.. and I thought the music for it was superb.

Jaheira is the widow. Viconia comes from an underground (literally) femdom society. The fact it's the most normal romance in the game speaks volumes.

less emotionally damaged than any Bioware/Black Isle fuckable NPC I can think of.

This would make romances a lot easier to stomach. The Hollywood-style instant chemistry thing is dumb enough without having to "fix" them first as well. I'm sure that an audience who'd rather fuck tentaclehead babe, birdmen and frogmen instead of Jacob and Miranda doesn't want completely "normal" romances, but there's no need to go balls deep with the inanity.

Avellion

Erudite

It shouldn't make me happy that DA:I isn't selling as well as BioWare and EA probably hoped, but it does.

CoD sells as usual, at the very least this CoD game tried to be less shit than the previous ones. So not too bothered by it.
I wonder why Pokemon: AS and OR are counted seperately though. In any case, having your big budget action game outsold by a turn based game now, BioWare?
2 Ubisoft games on there. I guess Ubisoft has 2 cash cows to milk now. This buggy open world game with terrible content trend seems to be going well for them.

It is there for the same reason Halo: MCC is there. Hype can carry through a million bugs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Games like this DO fail. Dragon Age 2 sold pretty poorly for that kind of game."

No, it didn't. It also wans't super hyped. It was pushed out for a quick cash grab which worked. It sold more than the BGs FFS.

Anyone who thinks Viconia wa s a'normal' romance is so lolligagz.

Drakron

Arcane
Does 'Game of the Year' even mean anything anymore?

No because its a award given by magazines and websites ... its like NYT declaring a movie "movie of the year", its completely irrelevant and only matters when the site have credibility.
The gaming industry as a whole have none, same with the gaming press ... GOTY is nothing but something they can put on the game cover and their website to boost sales, as if what PC Gamer or IGN have any credibility, it have long been a marketing ploy.

Even the Oscars that are filled with studios applying pressure and have some heavy bias at least dont pull the shit that Spike Awards did be, their nomination list was closed on the 30 of September, the winners will only be announced in March.

EA gets a sticker for their website and their game boxes, thats it ... they know it, the editors knows ... and we know it, it might caught some clueless people unaware and I suppose DA:I will make some sales due to underage and parents but nobody takes then serious.

Norfleet

Ahoy thar, Drakron! What Drakronity be you up to?

Has anyone else ever noticed that "game of the year" is typically given to games that come out in the later portions of the year, so that the hype hasn't faded by the time such things are to be handed out?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I don't see why anyone gives a fuck about GotY designations any more than they do about reviews in the first place? it's the exact same concept. unless you respect the opinion of the person handing it out, you really shouldn't care, and you probably shouldn't care anyway. it's just a marketing gimmick that works for both sides of the equation. it works for media outlets because furious nerds hear superlatives and feel the need to masturbate to or fling shit at them, which means pageviews, and it works for game companies because they can then just stick "Game of the Year" on their product, which I don't think I've ever seen have attribution.

frankly I'm not sure why they bother waiting, they could stick Game of the Year on it in the first place

but there's nothing an RPS or a Kotaku or a Gamespot wants more than for you to care about what they put their stamps on. if you click on their links, you've validated them. if you talk about them, you've encouraged other people to click on their links, which validates them. it's to their advantage to pick polarizing titles. agree or disagree, if they make you come and put something in their comments section, they've successfully manipulated you with a completely meaningless "year wrap party" opinion.

in what way does it even make sense to evaluate products in terms of the calendar year of their release? in what cosmos do we worry about whether something came out in November or February? gah

it's so wrong to care

msxyz

Augur

A reliable NeoGaf insider reported DAI sold less than 600K across all platforms (retail only - digital sales through Origins aren't counted). Either the PC digital version sold very, very well or DA:I is a bomb.

The good news is that the console crowd isn't interested in this 'Skyrim meets WoW meets LGBT dating sim' and this is a giant slap in the face of EA marketing driven strategy.

Also, PC piracy ruins sales
:troll:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Am I the only person who thinks Corypheus looks utterly ridiculous? Just that combination of long, gaunt body and comically oversized head makes him look cartoonish.

He's super lame, not only in look but also in the entire plot. And the way he zooms around like superman but with awkward animation. And the fact you defeat him like halfway through the story and the rest of the plot is him bitching about it and desperately trying to slap something else together (SPOILERZ!).

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He's ultimate master plan was foiled at the very beginning. HE REALLY DROPPED THE BALL ON THAT ONE, HUH?

... Did RK make that joke in the LP? Probably, but whatever.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
That bestsellers list includes only games i would play if i was paid for my time, and im talking in the 500 euros / hour rates here. Also it seems these charts are not inclusive...and ignore a lot of sales sources. A bw rep said on the unmentionable forums that sales are well above projections whatever that may mean. I think we may see a 4th incarnation of DA. Or maybe DLC. Im curious as to how sales are divided among the several platforms.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
By the way, I watched my new Guardians of the Galaxy blu ray tonight and it struck me that a random 10 minutes of that movie has more artistry, entertainment value and joy in it than all of Bioware's cutscene bullshit put together. I think these developers trying to make movies just fucking embarrass themselves.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah sticking to your trade is always good advice. It all started to go wrong with the FMV hype back in the stone age of the 486dx. If you want to see embarrasing check those out. These game makers actually thought themselves Scorcese when they filmed their friends and family "act" in the garden shed (in glorious 320 resolution). Some even tried to make the move to the big games in Hollywood. Add to that the laserdisc and its QTE like gameplay (not a section, no a complete game consisting of QTEs...) and you have the stuff of nightmares.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom