Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Frozen

Arcane
There are no cities.
There is a hub called Val Royeaux and its as big as Denerim in DA:O
You cant compare DA:I to other bad "RPG"s because it is literally build upon a corpse of an MMO. They didn't even hide it.
Maybe only Kingdoms of Amalur because its the same situation but that game in terms of gameplay is so much better.
Dragon Age Online was canceled after Tortanic then dusted after some time, slapped with 20h max. of a story over it and sold as a single player game.
That's why gameplay is shit, its an unfinished product that change its genre late in development and you can see it from a mile.

pippin

Take it you never played that Awakening expansion? Bugged to buggery, six ways from Sunday.

I did. I think I remember some bugs, but nothing gamebreaking. It's overall better than DAO because it cuts off the companion crap, and every single one of your team mates is useful.

Maybe only Kingdoms of Amalur because its the same situation but that game in terms of gameplay is so much better.

Amalur had this:

alyn_shir_by_iazcutler-d6utivz.jpg

DAI had this

latest

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Maybe only Kingdoms of Amalur because its the same situation but that game in terms of gameplay is so much better
Amalur is a lot better imo. It was actually able to hold my attention for a substantial amount of time and, though the dungeons were fairly linear, exploration felt at least slightly rewarding to me, because you could always find powerful shit.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Take it you never played that Awakening expansion? Bugged to buggery, six ways from Sunday.

I did. I think I remember some bugs, but nothing gamebreaking.

Fuckin nightmare for me, half o recipes broken, cutscenes not firing, all me equipment disappearing permanently on one mission near end which left me in a right spot. Seemed like there'd been no QA done in comparison to normal Bioware game, cos thats usually one o things you can count on the squeers nailing. Alright game but really shoddy on my rig.

pippin

It seems a bit rushed, but imo that impression comes from stripping a Bioware game of what you spend half of your game time doing, that is, talking to companions. I think I completed DAO in 40 hours? Awakening took me like 25 o 30.
The inventory disappearing has something to do with that part when you end up being captured? I think I remember people complaining about that, but I thought they were complaining about thm taking your inventory away from you as you were captured.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye that were what were supposed to happen, an you got it all back later, in my game it all just disappeared from all characters. Up shit creek, but then again it weren't an hard game so managed.

Coma White

Educated
Since my playing Inquisition I've gone back to play through the Baldur's Gate games (it's been over a decade since I last played them). And really, the decline is shocking. I felt more of an emotional swell, more possibilities just stepping out into Waukeen's Promenade than I ever came close to feeling even once throughout Inquisition's duration. I used to get angry but now I feel more sorrow than anything.

What the hell has happened? I guess that's more of a rhetorical question than anything. We can never go back.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Expansions can afford to take more risks.

There really no cities in this DA3? How'd they get away wi this, other games can do both easily enough.

Can they?

As for how they got away with it, I imagine their target audience was thoroughly sated after Kirkwall in DAII.

pippin

If I remember correctly one of the main complaints from people was that DA2 practically happens inside the city and nowhere else. Other than that and from what I gather the game's more like "Ubisoft open world" than "Bethesda open world".

Neanderthal

Arcane
Don't think i'll ever understand customers like that, get a shit city in a shit game so they don't want things improving (to say Novigrad, Vizima, Khorinis, Athkatla, Sigil or Britain levels) they just excuse not havin a city in next game an are perfectly happy wi that. Way to let a dev off hook for pure fuckin decline an a sloppy job.

Delterius

Arcane
Do the codex have a review for this game ? I highly suspect it's long and boring. I don't know where this intuition is from.
The game or the review?:M
Do the codex have a review for this game ? I highly suspect it's long and boring. I don't know where this intuition is from.

We couldn't find anyone who could sustain massive amounts of BRIAN damage playing this, so no. :M
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

We couldn't find anyone who could sustain massive amounts of BRIAN damage playing this, so no. :M
We do have a review men. As for BRIAN damage, well, that bloke went on to review Siege of Dragonspear. +M
Forget it, it was all for nothing. I couldn't save any lost souls.

:0-13:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't think i'll ever understand customers like that, get a shit city in a shit game so they don't want things improving

But Biodrones were satisfied with Kirkwall. They're just fine with something different. :M

Delterius

Arcane
Even back in the BSN people would complain that Kirkwall wasn't a very realized setting, something which even Gaider came into grips with years later. Basing a game around a single city and its outskirts isn't particularly unique and the way the game throws trash combat at you you'd think that they just took a bunch of wilderness encounters and flipped the character models. To say nothing of how sterile the whole place is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even back in the BSN people would complain that Kirkwall wasn't a very realized setting, something which even Gaider came into grips with years later. Basing a game around a single city and its outskirts isn't particularly unique and the way the game throws trash combat at you you'd think that they just took a bunch of wilderness encounters and flipped the character models. To say nothing of how sterile the whole place is.

Still feels very different compared to the wilderness exploration of Inquisition. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes.

I'm just saying they liked the change of pace, that's all.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
If I remember correctly one of the main complaints from people was that DA2 practically happens inside the city and nowhere else. Other than that and from what I gather the game's more like "Ubisoft open world" than "Bethesda open world".

Wasn't part of the problem their shitty engine could not handle more than a few NPCs wandering around the city. It made the whole place feel empty.

Also the unending reuse of small areas was lame.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If I remember correctly one of the main complaints from people was that DA2 practically happens inside the city and nowhere else.
Yeah, there was very little exploration in DA2. But PS:T also "happens inside the city" and yet it's rarely criticized for not showing more of the Planes.

In BG house interiors were re-used and I'm p. sure it was also the case in BG2. And nobody cared. NWN was basically made of Lego blocks but I don't recall anybody complaining specifically about that. I'm not saying that re-using assets is good but it seems that only in DA2 it was deemed such a heinous crime.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
In BG house interiors were re-used and I'm p. sure it was also the case in BG2. And nobody cared. NWN was basically made of Lego blocks but I don't recall anybody complaining specifically about that. I'm not saying that re-using assets is good but it seems that only in DA2 it was deemed such a heinous crime.

Comparing what they did on BG2 with what they did in DA2 is not remotely fair. The houses in BG2 were minor areas that added flavor to the game. You could go into nearly every building in BG/BG2 even though 90% of them were just trash loot and people telling you to leave their home. The only reused area I can remember (besides houses) was a lvl of Durlog's tower they repurposed in the sewer.

In DA2 the reused areas were part of quests. They had like 5 interior layouts and they simply changed the entrance and exit points and a few obstacles so your path would be a little bit different. After a while you know exactly where each spawn point was, which direction you needed to go, and where the loot containers were. You would go: "Oh its the warehouse map that means the possible exits are here, the possible loot spots are there, and let me quicksave because there is the first spawn point!"

Anyways BG did it with minor areas you never had to visit while DA2 used it for many, many actual quests.

edit: Also NWN was shit but it was also the first "tool-set" game Bio made. DA2 was what, 10 years on?

Last edited:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
DA2 also had the enemies -ninja spawning in from out of nowhere. They were hidden in the ceiling, on rooftops, dropped out of the sky, and always in groups of three or so. Shit was maddeningly boring and nonsensical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom