Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RepHope

Savant
Jesus this fucking game was absolutely awful, like taking the worst aspects of Bethesda and Ubisoft and adding nuBioware's shit storytelling.

I can't believe they fucking botched Corypheus as badly as they did. In a game supposedly about faith, how the fuck do you not give the main antagonist who is motivated by his loss of it more screen time? All he fucking says is a few "badass" one liners and then fucks off while you keep handing him his ass. That's not even going into how much potential he had to challenge an Andrastian Inquisitor about the tenets of their faith. Holy fuck the Duchess Floriane was the fucking worst though. The retarded Inquisitor didn't even suspect her but she decides to just fucking announce she's the one planning to kill Celene and then leaving her braindead minions to kill the guy who got put in charge because all he's good at is killing minions?

DLCs were shit too which I guess shouldn't have surprised me but I was still disappointed. Hakkon was even more of the same repetitive bullshit I had already grown numb too, down to a shitty final dragon boss fight. Descent had some cool moments but the whole thing felt rather pointless. Trespasser was "ok" but Bioware is committing the same fucking mistake they did with DA2's Legacy DLC, ending shit on a cliffhanger with the promise to get resolution in the next game. That's fine but then you fucking need to deliver and Bioware has done a bad job of that recently.

Also what the fuck, this is what they give us for Val Royeaux, the "cultural capital" of Thedas? Fucking Oblivion did a better job.
ABVhoV7.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I've been playing Inquisition and while the game itself is pretty ass, I'm really digging the world so far. Legit question: are the books worth reading? I'm eyeing The Masked Empire cuz Wicked Eyes & Wicked Hearts is my most favorite part of the game atm.

Delterius

Arcane
He's right. Dragon Age wasn't really dumbed down. BioWare was always destined to botch all the potential of their own setting. Ever since Gaider was forced to make it more familiar to the fantasy crowd, each Dragon Age expanded the universe in a way that makes really boring. DA:O was stuck in NotEngland but there were hints of more interesting things beyond the horizon. Nobody sane took DA2 seriously since that game's whole setting was just an excuse to do as little work as possible.

But once DA:I reached for the Empire of NotFrance the future of the franchise was written in stone. Everything in Inquisition's setting screams wasted potential. And the funny part is that it was Gaider who had the balls to make his rebellious Red Wizard of Thay into someone who condones slavery through whataboutism. And it was Hepler who created the rigid hierarchy drama for the dwarves. Those two are now gone. The setting didn't die, it was never alive in the first place. Prepare for Joss Whedon's Tevinter Imperium.

Darkman

Educated
Is this game worth playing if I enjoyed Origins and fucking hated DA 2?

Origins even with all of it's flaws was a good rpg. Especially by modern standards.

DA 2 was a piece of shit that i regret playing.

If this is closer to origins than DA 2 i might muster the strength to try and play it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Origins even with all of it's flaws was a good rpg. Especially by modern standards.

If this is closer to origins than DA 2 i might muster the strength to try and play it.
NO

Sizzle

Arcane
Is DA:I better than DA2 and more like DA:O - yes, absolutely. But bear in mind that almost any game is better than DA2.

DA:I can best be described as - BioWare decided to combine their unique brand of storytelling (aka - elf tits) with Skyrim's unique open world mechanics (aka - barely an RPG) and made something that's the worst of both worlds.

So, no, I wouldn't recommend it. No matter how RPG-starved you may be, there are countless better ways to spend your heard earned money and time than on DA:I.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Ok I will provide a more detailed answer:
DA:I is a single player...MMORPG with endless fetch quests and a quite retarded/boring/unintuitive cast of NPCs. It looks pretty but has really nothing to do with DA:O.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:I is utter shit. One of the few games I never managed to finish, engaging in the actual gameplay for prolonged periods of time literally saps away your will to live.
MMO gameplay in a single player game, high-school grade writing, twitch combat, meant to appease people playing with console controllers. As a game it has no redeeming features. Good graphics for its time though, which is to DICE's not BioWare's credit.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Having just replayed the entire thing (I watched the Noah Caldwell Gervais retrospective and figured to give the game another shot), I can say that if you enjoyed Origin but hated DA2, then you definitely won't like it. The game is about as far removed from Origins as it can get gameplay-wise without them outright changing the genre. The combat is 90% vacuous filler, it's honestly one of the few games I know where you'll get far more enjoyment out of it if you actively ignore most of its content, since most of it serves solely to pad the length out. Presentation-wise, the game is very pretty looking but the art design is just ugly. Modern bioware is just not very good at designing modern fantasy aesthetics.

Story-wise, the game has the same issue that the last one did: it constantly promises that important shit is going to start happening soon, only to pull the rug out from under you and say "Sorry that was a cop-out, but we promise that things are gonna be really interesting in the next game". This is even worse without the Trespasser DLC, as the vanilla game basically ends by saying that nothing has truly been resolved and introducing a dozen different dangling plot-threads.

What really condemned the game was The Witcher 3 being released a few months later. That game had a lot of the same issues that DA:I had: a weak main story with a generic doomsday villain, with the various companions and side-stories/B-plots being far more interesting; lackluster combat; a somewhat bland open world; unsatisfying resolutions to overarching plot-threads, etc, but TW3 still managed to utterly blow Inquisition out of the water through its sheer quality in writing, care to detail, and presentation.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
My 2c -

The thread is far too TL;dr to give a shit about where we have gone or where we are going.

DAI was the last thing BioWare I bought or will buy. That shit was atrocious; the made for console gameplay was frustrating at first. I resolved it by uninstalling and instantly felt much better.

J1M

Arcane

Usually people don't listen when you tell them not to play it, so instead I will tell you that the least terrible class to play is the archer. (Rogue with a bow, assassin prestige class)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Just imagine playing an MMO. Endless meaningless quests, dialogue as bad as the General channel online and all you do is grind grind grind.

Darkforge

Augur
I thought this game was the gayest game of all time, (slightly ahead of DA2) but it was quickly dethroned once I fired up the trial for Mass effect Andromeda.

pomenitul

Arbiter
So out of morbid curiosity and Pavlovian brand fidelity I recently decided to complete the loathsome DAII after putting it off for many years. One thing led to another, and here I am picking embrium in the Hinterlands, striving to suspend disbelief as I make my way through pretty vistas, meaningless though they may be. And it dawned upon me—only now, perhaps because I have so little experience with such games—that DA:I is meant to be played the way one listens to ambient music, i.e. liminally, as though it were a dream, which is hardly an inappropriate attitude given this whole business with the Breach. I've entirely abandoned the idea that BioWare could someday live up to DA:O (which wasn't exactly a masterpiece to begin with, though I'm frankly quite fond of it), instead conceiving DA:I as some kind of enhanced Skyrim (at least you have a party and a pause key), and I'm almost tempted to argue that its sense of spacing and tempo is in fact a strength, reminiscent of deliberately lethargic films like Gerry or Silent Light (alas, despite its subject matter, DA:I is too bright and sprightly to invite comparison with Béla Tarr). All in all, it has dampened my disappointment with its harmless impressionism, and as such I'm struggling to hate it outright.

Delterius

Arcane
Death by one hundred hours of apathy?

Its not so much that the game has a good sense of pacing. Its a busy world of collecting bear arses and lily flowers for random purposes. Its main activities are so boring and generic that one spaces out during play. You're trapped in an assembly line, meant to manufacture your own entertainment through inane quests. But instead of factory vigilance and the rhythm of the punchclock, Chaplin's character is maddened by how banal everything is. Its Modern Times where you press a button and something boring has to happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom