Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Did you meet the empress yet?
In Lore she's in her early 30s or something meanwhile her cousin Gaspard is in his 70s (I think, old either way) and yet when I saw them I thought Celene was ancient and the older of the two.

maxresdefault.jpg

9ted6

Educated
In Lore she's in her early 30s or something meanwhile her cousin Gaspard is in his 70s (I think, old either way) and yet when I saw them I thought Celene was ancient and the older of the two.

maxresdefault.jpg
Origins: Orlais nobles wear carnival masks at elaborate balls to show how wealthy they are.
Inqusition: Orlais nobles always wear their clown outfits all the time and everyone's also ugly.
Very quirky, progressive and brave of you Bioware.

If you look into the background lore this character's actually worse than Leliana and maybe even worse than Liara by a fair margin in terms of blatant author inserts.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Yes, I chose to let her remain empress because the game made out her rival to be a Corypheus-sympathizer and/or utter retard who got manipulated by him, and I didn't feel like entangling myself in that clusterfuck of a level any further. Also, afterwards everyone at Skyhold acted as if I did something to cast down her elven lesbian lover, even though I did no such thing (but it was a welcome bonus anyway). Gaspard got exiled, I sentenced his sister to a life in the cloister, and all of my companions suddenly discovered a bunch of very personal and unrelated things about xirselves. Blackwall, nooooooooooooooooo!!

Also, Leliana revealed herself to be a bloodthirsty maniac. I hope she doesn't become the new Mome.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
One thing I did not predict when starting this game is how much I would come to despise Leliana. Her newest exploit was exclaiming "Hey, I know, *I* should be the new Mome! I'll dismantle everything and invite everyone into the Chantry, especially all the people who despise it!! It'll be wonderful!"

I told her that I don't support her candidacy, I hope that weakens her chances. Vivienne, of all people, had a sensible opinion on this matter.

9ted6

Educated
One thing I did not predict when starting this game is how much I would come to despise Leliana. Her newest exploit was exclaiming "Hey, I know, *I* should be the new Mome! I'll dismantle everything and invite everyone into the Chantry, especially all the people who despise it!! It'll be wonderful!"

I told her that I don't support her candidacy, I hope that weakens her chances. Vivienne, of all people, had a sensible opinion on this matter.
Leliana's development for Inquisition was treating her as if you did the evil option in Origins, which turns Leliana into a sex and murder-happy bard, and then giving her brain damage on top.

In 2 she was already an agent, went back to her bardy ways. It makes no sense tbh.
It does when you take into account there's a 7 year difference between Origins and when you meet her in 2.
The timeline is a bit weird. DA2 happens during DAO, but there's still a timeskip and DAI happens a decade after DAO. The presence of Leliana is an error in principle, one that Bioware had thought of in the past, by replacing Wrex with another Krogan if he died in ME1 (which happened to me, btw). Of course, not Imoen has a lot of marketing presence and is a beloved character, while Wrex isn't really a character that makes people buy the games. There's also the fact that your actions hint to her becoming more of an hero instead of a scheming agent while you go through DAO, she's clearly a neutral good character and her dark past is something she'd rather leave behind. DAI's ending (or at least the hardened one I got) clearly points at her passing the baton, so if she does appear in DAD it should be a cameo of sorts. They really chose a mediocre AF character to be the face of the franchise.

9ted6

Educated
In 2 she was already an agent, went back to her bardy ways. It makes no sense tbh.
It does when you take into account there's a 7 year difference between Origins and when you meet her in 2.
It still doesn't take Origins into account if you convince her to keep her faith or kill her. Bioware ignored the majority of player choices when it comes to Leliana and Alistair for their official canon, making them both Hardened.

Like Cat Headed Eagle said it goes against how her character seemed to be developing in DAO and unlike Alistair, where Hardening is neither a good or bad thing to do, Leliana's is plainly evil. It involves dialogue that goes something like "You enjoyed killing your old mentor not because it's revenge but because you love killing, so you should do that and stop this Chantry stuff." Fair to have as an option but it's definitely not the option you'd take if you're playing a good PC. You can also just kill her yourself if you want.

She's one of the more obvious signs DAO was never supposed to get sequels but instead of trying to find some compromise or working around player choices, they just brute force her into the way she is, never explain why she becomes an atheist antichantry murder bard if you convinced her otherwise and write off killing her as it was literally just a dream. That's what makes no sense and it feels like contempt for C&C because by DAI she's become an author insert, and she loses her character conflict and charm to become Medieval Liara.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
The presence of Leliana is an error in principle, one that Bioware had thought of in the past, by replacing Wrex with another Krogan if he died in ME1 (which happened to me, btw).

Yeah, for all the flaws that Mass Effect has I really loved the way they dealt with dead companions, particularly in the Krogan storyline (Wrex's replacement not being smart enough to work out if you double crossed them with the Genophage is a nice touch that makes it feel like the replacements are their own characters). I usually kill Leliana and wouldn't have minded if they'd replaced her with someone who was strictly worse and made you fail a few missions or something or even some generic spymaster who just grunted at you (honestly that would have been pretty funny), The way it played out just felt a bit cheap, something even Bioware seem to acknowledge given the special ending they gave dead Leliana in Trespasser.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The ending was retarded. Like something out of the Power Rangers. Marvel capeshit has better "epic" endings than this awkward crap. At least the ending slides (with that bitch Morrigan narrating, lulz) told me that Cassandra became the new Mome and restored the rightful order of things. However, it also said that the mages I saved from Corypheus declared themselves a separate organization, making me once again regret not going with the templars.

I still have three DLC campaigns to get through. Will this shit ever end?

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
However, it also said that the mages I saved from Corypheus declared themselves a separate organization, making me once again regret not going with the templars.
What was your decision when you recruited them? Did you say you'll be in charge of them or let them be free?

Also, is one of your DLCs Jaws of Hakkon (in frostback basin)? Trespasser and The Descent are grinds but Hakkon is by far the longest. You have 20 hours left at least.

Hakkon was fun if only for the novelty of the setup. It's made to mirror norse cultures. The dwarven DLC has the true nature of lyrium which is overly complicated imo, and Trespasser has the real final ending for the game, and also the undoing of everything you know about daelish elves.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
What was your decision when you recruited them? Did you say you'll be in charge of them or let them be free?
I let them be free. :negative: In hindsight, that was a really stupid decision.

Majority of the lore rape comes from the DLCs which are also more of the same gameplay slog.
Yeah, I've noticed the main campaign was relatively mild on adding stuff to the lore. At least, until the end, where they shoehorned Flemeth (and Morrigan's demon-child) and retconned her into being... a vessel for the soul of Mythal? What? Who the fuck is Mythal, and who gives a shit?

And the the witch elven goddess absorbed the demon-child's archdemon soul... but the child is totally fine... I guess he doesn't need a soul to live... or he, conveniently, had two different and easily-divisible souls in him all along... And then Solas rolled up and absorbed Flemeth's soul(s)...

Eh, fuck this. I'm sure I'll have more complaints later on.

I let them be free. :negative: In hindsight, that was a really stupid decision.

Majority of the lore rape comes from the DLCs which are also more of the same gameplay slog.
Yeah, I've noticed the main campaign was relatively mild on adding stuff to the lore. At least, until the end, where they shoehorned Flemeth (and Morrigan's demon-child) and retconned her into being... a vessel for the soul of Mythal? What? Who the fuck is Mythal, and who gives a shit?

And the the witch elven goddess absorbed the demon-child's archdemon soul... but the child is totally fine... I guess he doesn't need a soul to live... or he, conveniently, had two different and easily-divisible souls in him all along... And then Solas rolled up and absorbed Flemeth's soul(s)...

Eh, fuck this. I'm sure I'll have more complaints later on.
You WILL have plenty of complaints if you go through Trespasser. It's kinda baffling what they do there. I'd give you a tldr if you wish, but it would spoil the feeling of discovering that shit on your own.

Both The Descent & Trespasser are retarded, writers just wanted to change everything about Thedas with some epic universe-changing explanation.

9ted6

Educated
Both The Descent & Trespasser are retarded, writers just wanted to change everything about Thedas with some epic universe-changing explanation.
Which wasn't even cool or creative at all and is just a rapid fire of really stupid retcons that kill any depth and mystery the setting had left, thanks to Gaider's even gayer replacement writer. I won't spoil the details either. Experience the confusion firsthand.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hm. In the post-main quest Skyhold, half of the NPCs randomly disappeared, along with the inquisitor's throne, and all of the crafting desks in the basement... andwith the chest that holds all the uniques I had been hoarding.

Will I ever see them again?

Last edited:
Hm. In the post-main quest Skyhold, half of the NPCs randomly disappeared, along with the inquisitor's throne, and all of the crafting desks in the basement... andwith the chest that holds all the uniques I had been hoarding.

Will I ever see them again?
One of the conflicts presented in Trespasser is the question about how necessary it would be to keep the Inquisition alive. Apparently, it's one of the things that should be taken into consideration going to DAD. Actually, it would appear that a lot of the choices you made in Trespasser could potentially have a lot of influence in DAD, or at least, it does feel that way. Everything you do in that DLC points towards things that don't get the same feeling of resolution you get when you take a choice in the base game.

9ted6

Educated
Do you think Patrick Weekes pushed for the Dreadwolf title subconsciously knowing that it would be called DAD as he sorts through his abandonment issues and trauma that turned him into such an insufferable faggot?
I don't know but he's so gay and such a shitty writer that he makes Gaider look straight and his writing flawless.

He's almost like a parody of a modern woke author.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom