Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I noticed BW also dumbed down the tactical "behaviors" of your team to a very limited set of options. I can only guess about the rationale on that one. This was one aspect i enjoyed of DA2, setting intricate (well up to a point) synergetic behaviors, and watching them succeed in battle was funny.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm sorry, I don't understand the islamic shouting and flag joke, I must have missed a post once upon a time, what's that got to do with the price of fish? Also, thanks for alerting all my friends and neighbors to the sounds of islamic fundamentalism, that will do my street cred a world of joy...

Arkeus

Arcane
Firstly, learn to read. One LPer did buy stuff. Secondly, having lots of things to, potentially, do with much fewer itemisation slots does NOT make for more or even equal itemisation. Thirdly, having to craft a weapon of fire resistance instead of either buying it or finding it does NOT make for more itemisation, it simply adds time-padding to acquiring the item. Fourth, if neither LPer is engaging in it yet, that doesn't mean they wont in the future, there was no assertation made by me or the LPers that it was crap should it happen, if you say it's worth it, that's fine by me, I'll look forward to someone engaging with it and see for myself.
No, i didn't say it was worth it- it's quite possible the game is too easy for it to be worth it, for exemple.

Also, sorry if you really wanted me to be unable to read, but i was talking about /buying stuff/, not just creating them. All creating them does is add more customization (E.G, it's easier to get a perfectly suited item that way). Buying belts of fire resists or belts of phys resists or amulets of dispels or rings of accuracy or rings of shield bringing or rings of fire damage or helmets of critical chance or armor of evasion or ....

Yes, those LPers didn't check the vendors.

But if two completely separate and random people are going to choose to not engage it, or for whatever reason find it an uninteresting endeavour, then that's not an issue of loot itemisation, that's a result of bait and switching the itemisation mechanic from one thing to something else, a something else that could well be too boring for a lot of people, the word boring being more important than the word unwilling.
No, it has to do with the difficulty being counter-intuitive and the Tactical Mode being annoying as fuck, so you just don't want to engage in this.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Buying belts of fire resists or belts of phys resists or amulets of dispels or rings of accuracy or rings of shield bringing or rings of fire damage or helmets of critical chance or armor of evasion or ....

Yes, those LPers didn't check the vendors.

Wait... so the game does actually have belts, rings, boots, amulets, gloves?

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
Yeah, but I remember reading an article exposing tax tricks of companies. It pretty much involved charging their subsidiaries with outragious licensing fees, resulting in them making low profit our or even a net loss. A loss that could be deducted from tax. The licensing fees however were taxed by the parent company in a country with much better conditions.
I am no expert on those things, but Bioware being in Canadistan and EA in the US... well, we ARE talking about coporate 'murica here, where a presidental candidate cannot understand why people are hating him for clever tax saving instead of hailing them as their rolemodel.
Yeah but that's just tax smoke n mirrors. Ultimately if you pay something from your left pocket to your right pocket it is neutral aside from the tax benefit. So that does leave the question of whether it really takes 300 people 3 years and hundreds of millions to create a pretty but empty world...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: This thread delivers, keep it up !

Midway of DA:O I decided to drop it after being disgusted by the filler combat and cookie-cutter story. A wise choice it seems, considering the fact DA2 seems to be about the she same shit only more dumbed-down and popamolish and DA3 the same shit combined with MMO. Nevertheless, this franchise still provides entertainment galore !

K361u2l.gif

Turjan

Arcane
Midway of DA:O I decided to drop it after being disgusted by the filler combat and cookie-cutter story.
Same here, somewhere past the elven woods and on my way to the dwarven area. I couldn't see any darkspawn anymore, and the story was so boring. Of DAII, I played the demo and found it even more boring. It's a bit like knowing one Bioware game means knowing all of them. The wallpapers change a bit, but you're still stuck in the same room.

In games like the Baldur's Gate series or KotOR, the cheesiness is saved by the whimsical nature of the whole operation. But now they try to be all grown-up and serious, and there it just fails.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ugh, this healing without any healing spells is getting on my nerves now. The potions is not enough, not on hard anyway. For some reason my mage, and my range guy has a tendency to close in on
targets and get caught up in aoe damage constantly. I don't understand how you are supposed to tank in this game, well bosses at least. My tank has to drink potions every 3 seconds to stay alive, leaving nothing
for the others in the team. And since my main guy is a warrior with a two-hander.. he is basically fucked. I mostly just stand behind and watch, because I can't risk him taking damage as well. It's a cluster-fuck beyond anything I have
experience before in a rpg.

And with this system, will there be any lengthy dungeon-crawls? How will that work?

From what I read there are no dungeons. I even found one "dungeon" on the Hinterlands map and it was like 4 rooms long with one combat encounter. Everything in this game is wilderness focused. There aren't even any big cities.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ugh, this healing without any healing spells is getting on my nerves now. The potions is not enough, not on hard anyway. For some reason my mage, and my range guy has a tendency to close in on
targets and get caught up in aoe damage constantly. I don't understand how you are supposed to tank in this game, well bosses at least. My tank has to drink potions every 3 seconds to stay alive, leaving nothing
for the others in the team. And since my main guy is a warrior with a two-hander.. he is basically fucked. I mostly just stand behind and watch, because I can't risk him taking damage as well. It's a cluster-fuck beyond anything I have
experience before in a rpg.

And with this system, will there be any lengthy dungeon-crawls? How will that work?

Before the final room of boss there will be a shelf full of potion flasks...
And every floor there will be a healing font for you to refill your HP.

I wish I'm making this up.
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515339-health-and-healing-a-view-from-the-outside/
Restocking Options: Most large dungeons and missions give you the chance to replenish your potions before particularly difficult fights. If you're going through a dungeon and you see a potion-restock table sitting beside an imposing door covered with ancient runes, this is our friendly level designers saying, "We love you, players. Have some more potions. Also, maybe consider saving your game here."

As I said, I almost never ran out of potions. When I did, it was because I had tried to push through a dungeon that I knew early on I wasn't ready for yet, and even then, I was able to limp bloodily through the last fights. I never EVER hit a dungeon that was too hard for me to complete that did not give me the option to retreat... and the way that dungeons were set up, I have not once gotten halfway or more through a dungeon and then had to retreat to restock my potions. Either I realized right away that I was in over my head, or I powered through and finished.

Xenich

Cipher
I wish I'm making this up.
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515339-health-and-healing-a-view-from-the-outside/
Restocking Options: Most large dungeons and missions give you the chance to replenish your potions before particularly difficult fights. If you're going through a dungeon and you see a potion-restock table sitting beside an imposing door covered with ancient runes, this is our friendly level designers saying, "We love you, players. Have some more potions. Also, maybe consider saving your game here."

As I said, I almost never ran out of potions. When I did, it was because I had tried to push through a dungeon that I knew early on I wasn't ready for yet, and even then, I was able to limp bloodily through the last fights. I never EVER hit a dungeon that was too hard for me to complete that did not give me the option to retreat... and the way that dungeons were set up, I have not once gotten halfway or more through a dungeon and then had to retreat to restock my potions. Either I realized right away that I was in over my head, or I powered through and finished.

/sigh

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Only rings, belts, amulets. No gloves or boots, sadly.

Ok, so it does factually have less itemisation than any other regular standard expectation-based RPG. Got there in the end... thanks, I'll keep an eye out for their use in the later vids. I have not seen any drop, nor any in any seller's stock, nor even seen the player use the screen where they are applied, but the Let's palys are in the earlier stages, so it's just another thing to wait for I guess.

Arkeus

Arcane
Ok, so it does factually have less itemisation than any other regular standard expectation-based RPG.
No, as it has 'upgrades', which are basically parts you can add to your weapons/armors. You can either craft those or find/buy them. They are more or less like runes (and some upgrades are runes), except that slots for those are really in every weapons/armors.

Got there in the end... thanks, I'll keep an eye out for their use in the later vids. I have not seen any drop, nor any in any seller's stock, nor even seen the player use the screen where they are applied, but the Let's palys are in the earlier stages, so it's just another thing to wait for I guess.
My guess is your LPs people didn't think about looking at the different tabs the sellers have, or else they would have seen them.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Not sure about boots, but you can add gloves/sleeves to your body armour as a crafting option. You can even name the individual parts, leading to an amusing situation where your sword has a hilt with its own name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom