Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Psquit

Arcane
Cuckold age the cisquisition Ebola is magic
1406981235070.png

M-muh Negroids animu characters look fuckable... GAMERGATE WILL PAY FOR THIS!!!

Oh my fucking god... those fucking retards from tumblr and Reddit.

"CHARACTER IS WHITE WITH BLUE EYES! SPAWN OF SATAN! ONLY NAZIS ARE WHITE AND BLOND!!!1 IF YOU ARE WHITE YOU ARE A CISGENDER PIG WHO ENJOY RAPING WHOMYN! WHITE PEOPLE DID 9/11 !!! TYRONE PLS I ONLY WANT TO SUCK YOUR BLACK DICK PLS TYRONE..."

those SJW at biojew must be full of money if the average biodrone is like that.

Edit:

What really piss me off is that bioware claim that they are "progressive" cause they cater to some overweight females and beta cuckold degenerates like anthony burch. SJWs are Cancerous creatures that feed on male tears and white male fetuses.

If you dont cater to their sick cuckold fantasies of black power and genderqueer pansexual Eldritch monsters , they will ask help from their goddess Anita Sarkisian to smite you down! cause you're a privileged cissy boy who needs cultural enrichment from Moshe Tyrone Steingoldsmith.

Bioware you used to be cool... fucking Gaider.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
But overall, I can tolerate, it does show restraint at some point, the character clashes work to a point, but I can't help but feel their roles in combat is pretty much similar and you only pick them cause you want to rotate and keep things fresh.

It's the only saving grace anyway. Cause the combat, writing and exploration is shit.

The combat oh gawd. I can't tell what's happening even when just watching someone play. It's not even lazerz and blasts, that I could handle.... its a fucking colorful back flipping overload to the point where you can't tell where anything is and who is swinging at what. Then the weird mmo type lag kicks in, people teleport around as their animations don't finish properly, there are explosions of colored candy covering the screen. No force to any of the impacts, physical or otherwise everyone just twitches around.

All I understand is that something is happening and the healthbars are going down :hahano:. Worst shit I have ever seen in my life, I would rather watch Morrowind combat with swing and miss crap. It's amazing that there are intense games like Devil May Cry or Blaz Blue where it's easier to see what's going on. The combat in this is like some shitty mini-game except that it's 80% of the content.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Cuckold age the cisquisition Ebola is magic
1406981235070.png

M-muh Negroids animu characters look fuckable... GAMERGATE WILL PAY FOR THIS!!!

Oh my fucking god... those fucking retards from tumblr and Reddit.

"CHARACTER IS WHITE WITH BLUE EYES! SPAWN OF SATAN! ONLY NAZIS ARE WHITE AND BLOND!!!1 IF YOU ARE WHITE YOU ARE A CISGENDER PIG WHO ENJOY RAPING WHOMYN! WHITE PEOPLE DID 9/11 !!! TYRONE PLS I ONLY WANT TO SUCK YOUR BLACK DICK PLS TYRONE..."

those SJW at biojew must be full of money if the average biodrone is like that.

I want a mod that does that. :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
last post

I liked Valammar, I think it was a nice dungeon. I have cleared out the Hinterlands not counting the rifts-/dragon-gated areas, attempted the marshes to the south today, but the regular enemies there were three levels higher than me, so I guess I'm coming there too early. Haven't tried the stormcoast yet. Took the templars' quest and now I'm afraid to look at what sort of shit will closing the breach be like.

I'm at 30 hours and lvl 9. I don't mind the stupid MMO quests, when you rage at one, you've raged at all of them, by now I just go through them as fast as I can, because the XP and power ensure I'll have less need to micromanage the battles, that was while I was playing on Hard at least.

I've managed to make my life a little easier by mapping "Interact" to "E" in the controls, from the default "F". Now I just have to center stuff on screen and press "E" on the keyboard, no more hold right mouse - aim at stuff - release right mouse - right-click.

The whole game is shit, except for the visuals, which BioWare can't take any credit for. I like the areas' design too, if we take that by itself. It's not the designers' fault that Gaider is a failed writer who has a hand-picked team of failed writers at his disposal, ready to blast us with cliches and half-assed "witty dialogue", or that combat is shit, etc.

set

Arcane
I would not be surprised if the fetch quests don't make a significant difference on your leveling speed?

If you want them to die then let them fucking die, but every word you give them, be it good, bad or indifferent is in their favour.

No, the Codex lacks the power you assign it... Hell, it would actually be more logical to concede that Bioware is willfully trolling the Codex with their game design - all the while being heralded as a shining beacon of RPG goodness. Mainstream gaming loves this game -> bugs, shitty design, shitty implementation and all. There is no killing it, fire or otherwise.

-addendum-

I know it is probably asking too much, but a VD review of DAI would be great. For continuity sake and to juxtapose against his DAO review, IE the evolution of Bioware™.

I'd love a Codex review of DAI, I am certainly gearing up for my own review. I've just been past the templar choice at the first fork, where RK47 picked the mages. Let me tell you what the templars' quest revolves around. I haven't spoiled much, but I'm using a spoiler tag anyway. To save time, I remind you in the beginning that all battles are fought with the shitty PC controls.

You go to the fortress where the templars have gathered and you have to fight off a demon boss in the following celebration-of-dumbfuckery way: You start in a Main Hall from which you have two doors - one on the left, one on the right side of the hall. You take one of the doors and you have a dungeon-like area that you have to make your way through via killing all "red templars" in your way, which is how you save three templar officers standing (at pre-determined spots of course) in the dungeon area (it's really a part of the fortress under open sky, but who gives a shit). I should tell you that the last officer's dialogue didn't start the first time I saved him, so I had to reload a savegame to re-save him, and fortunately it worked that time.

Once you're done with that task, you need to take the other door from the main hall, ending up in a courtyard where you have to click on more red templars until they drop, then enter a room, where some spooky signs have been drawn on a wall, serial murderer hideout style (oh my, so spooky), then take a key from that room, use the key to enter a room that's right next to the first one, dear, dear, that was tough, click on some red lyrim inside second room to get a codex entry and party comments of it. Then take your ass back to the Main Hall.

Now the topping of this shit-cake is that every time you exit the Main Hall, you are on a timer. Half the Main Hall is green-fade-magic-blocked by the demon, who keeps spawning red templar baddies inside your part of the Main Hall to pester you. So, as I said, you're on a timer once you leave the main hall, and you have to finish the tasks I described before the timer runs out, or the templars inside the main hall will be killed, in which case I suppose you get a big yellow "Mission failed" sign like in GTA, but that would probably be too fun for DAI.

Two caveats that make this even dumber than it sounds - first, the templars you are supposed to protect are indestructible ingame (same as those you are setting out to "save"), so all this errand made up by an unknown shitbrain and its failure are completely scripted, and second - the timer only serves to make you return back in the Main Hall while you're halfway to completing the officer-saving or lyrium clicking errands, it does not determine when enemies will show up in the main hall! So it doesn't matter if you exit and immediately enter back into the main hall, the red templar enemies will spawn every time, regardless of the timer! It's like they're waiting for you to leave the room to sneak back in.

Once you're done with the mini-fetch-quests, what follows is a grand battle within the Main Hall against... more waves of red templars! Wow! Kill the red templars, and you get a cue from the Chief Good Templar present in the Main Hall that "it's time to end the demon". His, and the other templars' role in the "ending" though amount to zero. It's just your party that has to go out from the Main Hall to some terrace and fight a very dumb 30 000 HP boss who spawns two waves of red templars when he's at half and 1/4 health.

Another brilliant achievement in BioWare quest-writing retardedness is that you have to go through all that I described without ever renewing your healing potions, which in my case meant that when I finally reached the final battle I was down to 2 health (for all the party) and a couple of regen potions (per character), which made it unthinkable to kill the demon on Hard difficulty, as I had been trying to play so far. So, the moral of the whole story is that what you should be saving is not templars but your own health potions. Great job, dumbasses!

After getting my ass kicked, I rolled the difficulty back to Retard and beat the boss. It would have ended here if this was simply a shitty game, but let's not forget that we are dealing with more than that - this is a BioWare game, which means you have "meaningful choices"...

As soon as I'd killed the demon the doors to the terrace busted open and a group composed of Chief Good Tepmlar and some mute and unnamed colleagues of his came out and pledged their support for the Inquisition's efforts to close the Breach. Gee, thanks, asswipes. I had a choice between accepting them to work alongside the Inquisition or incorporate them into the inquisition. I don't need to tell you I chose the latter, which strangely pissed off a few of my companions and advisors somewhat. When I got back to the base, Cullen whined that this should have been the Inquisition's decision, not my personal one. I ignored him, changing the subject of the conversation to how we'll need more lyrium at the base to accommodate the templars who were on their way. Then out of nowhere, in a puff of incloosive smoke, the emo with the hat popped up right upon the table and it took us a whole two lines of "witty dialogue™" to have him get off the table and disappear again.

I think I understand the grand message that Gaider carries throughout all of DAI, and it's fit for the target demographic better than a pink dildo with a bull-shaped head -- "The whole world, chantry, templars, mages, the State, everybody sucks, nobody can get any job done, from keeping peace to finding their own goats, and it's only you who are actually good for making the world work". Basically, a deliberate destruction of all credibility in any institution or authority in the whole setting for the sake of stroking the ego of, nine out of ten times, a troubled teen who've just discovered they have so many holes in their body and can't wait to find uses for them.

I feel much more reluctant to approach any further pieces of this "epic, character-driven story" after being through this clusterfuck of a quest than I was before it.
mate there was crate of supplies in the main hall which you could use at any time. you know like after you defeated the last wave but before you went to boss room...just sayin :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm about 60 hours in. The first 10 hours were incredibly tedious, mainly because I spent the bulk of them exploring the Hinterlands and BioWare cannot into open worlds. The regions in this game are Assassin's Creed-ified in collectibles, and MMO-ified in terms of side quests.

But the main story is excellent, as are the companion missions. Dorian's is an early highlight, but they are all very good and surprisingly well written.

There's a lot of fan service here and decisions I made in the prior games seem to have had an effect, which is very nice to see. So far, several very big characters from prior games have shown up and seem true to how I left them, I was expecting BioWare to go the cookie cutter route but they didn't.

So, the main quest and the major side quests are all really good and rank among BioWare's best, it is nice to see how all the companions come together - I just did a sidequest for Cole, and a bunch of the others decided to tag along and try and affect the outcome, I can't remember any previous BioWare game doing this.

I'm not sure how much I have left to play but I think Inquisition is a mixed bag. Great story, great characters, good companion quests but the open world/side quests seem to be a bit shitty.

This is basically what I am hearing from people I trust off the Codex. That the Hinterlands and other huge areas are boring as shit, but if you stick to the main quest, companion quests and larger side quests given by the war room map then the game is much better. I think I'll re-buy it and see for myself. It's not like $60 is a big deal.

RK47

Patron
I'm about 60 hours in. The first 10 hours were incredibly tedious, mainly because I spent the bulk of them exploring the Hinterlands and BioWare cannot into open worlds. The regions in this game are Assassin's Creed-ified in collectibles, and MMO-ified in terms of side quests.

But the main story is excellent, as are the companion missions. Dorian's is an early highlight, but they are all very good and surprisingly well written.

There's a lot of fan service here and decisions I made in the prior games seem to have had an effect, which is very nice to see. So far, several very big characters from prior games have shown up and seem true to how I left them, I was expecting BioWare to go the cookie cutter route but they didn't.

So, the main quest and the major side quests are all really good and rank among BioWare's best, it is nice to see how all the companions come together - I just did a sidequest for Cole, and a bunch of the others decided to tag along and try and affect the outcome, I can't remember any previous BioWare game doing this.

I'm not sure how much I have left to play but I think Inquisition is a mixed bag. Great story, great characters, good companion quests but the open world/side quests seem to be a bit shitty.

This is basically what I am hearing from people I trust off the Codex. That the Hinterlands and other huge areas are boring as shit, but if you stick to the main quest, companion quests and larger side quests given by the war room map then the game is much better. I think I'll re-buy it and see for myself. It's not like $60 is a big deal.

Stockholm Syndrome Confirmed.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Ultimately it comes down to "we don't give a shit about your choices, we want to do this, and we're not going to let what happened in previous games change that". Their explanation makes no sense because it was their choice to put that in the previous games. That's not stomping your feet when you find the result inexplicable. It's calling them out on their own indecisiveness. If they didn't want people to kill a particular character, the choice shouldn't have been in the game.

I don't particularly care either way, I just wish they'd leave these non-choices out of the game. It serves to muddy the waters for the rare occasion when a choice does matter. Their games teach you to expect every choice to not matter one bit, and when one does you're left puzzled. It's about consistency.

Wrong. They shouldn't remove the choices - they should remove the imports. Choices are a huge driver of replayability and enjoyment. Without them, a game becomes insanely linear. Keep the choices, just get rid of the mechanic of carrying those choices over into future games. If you are going to ignore or handwave them in future games, just make each game start with a canon.

That's how Ultima did it, that's how Fallout does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Fair enough. I was going to say their games would benefit immensely from giving up this whole "we must make franchises!" kick, but that's never going to happen.

I don't know, I really doubt we'll see them shift on this, even if it's not something they live up to the whole choices that carry over through games in some fashion are basically part of their corporate brand now, it's one of the few things that differentiate them.

I agree that Fallouts 1 & 2 worlds and games were great and their replayability is just overhelming, i just playing them to this time sometimes with few mods [and for their time, they just made many players me included WoW! That's something new], same with Ultima and it's universe wide open and detailed across all releases with "spin offs" like great both Underworld games.

But don't You agree that ability to carry over your C&C history in both Dragon Age [with Inquisition by excellent Keep with addon of fine browser game Last Court] and Mass Effect [naturally or by Genesis addon] series is just great?
For me it especially shines in ME series, which [despites it's flaws and shooter/action oriented gameplay] have one of the best and most fun C&C system ever created for crpgs.

It's main feautre in ME was to "manage" stories of your crew and companions, but it really works well and i miss any kind of that system in almost every crpg out there.
In fact there is very low ammount of crpg games, when your choices really matters and have greater impact for gameplay and whole story. It's another example that not only mechanics matters and gameplay but also a level of interaction, and impact on the story and "stories" of his companions that player has. It's essence of Roleplaying for me, ability to shape world around You in given universe. Not just static tables with data, stats etc. , but "living" characters . If i have to mention good C&C crpg games i will mention ME series [with their C&C that span across whole series], Arcanum, Bloodlines , Fallouts and maybe one or three more. That's hell low number.

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
For me it especially shines in ME series, which [despites it's flaws and shooter/action oriented gameplay] have one of the best and most fun C&C system ever created for crpgs.

wat

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Whoa, whoa, whoa let's hold up here for a second. I actually kinda like the ME games but the C&C in them is garbage on an objective level.

Yep right, have you ever played these games? It's example like C&C should look , and it worked well there. But it's better just to hate, so much fun ;) [that for RK].

If C&C in ME is a garbage how do You call it in other games? Non-existent? At least in ME you can shape destiny of characters, races, many npc's and in some way world around You - maybe in limited way [just like in some other games] but scale and overall impression is a lot stronger than in many other games. It's not like King of Dragon Pass but it's works well.

But okay, everyone has right to his own opinions, just showing mine.

Last edited:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Yep right, have you ever played these games? It's example like C&C should look , and it worked well there. But it's better just to hate, so much fun ;).
Oh really? Should I go in depth on how a game that lets you choose your dialogue in a binary morality system that railroads you into going on a particular path making the choices irrelevant is bad C&C? Should I explain why the loyalty system from ME2 was shit? Should I point out the many times where your different dialogue options yielded the same results? Should I talk about the parts where major choices in previous games were just handwaved away and proved insignificant?

Edit: Yeah, a lot of games don't have C&C systems. Just because ME has one doesn't mean it makes it better than these other games.

Yep right, have you ever played these games? It's example like C&C should look , and it worked well there. But it's better just to hate, so much fun ;).
Oh really? Should I go in depth on how a game that lets you choose your dialogue in a binary morality system that railroads you into going on a particular path making the choices irrelevant is bad C&C? Should I explain why the loyalty system from ME2 was shit? Should I point out the many times where your different dialogue options yielded the same results? Should I talk about the parts where major choices in previous games were just handwaved away and proved insignificant?

Sure, it will be more interesting than another RK movie.
By the way even mythical Fallouts could be called as "railroad" from this point of view just like any other crpg, becouse you are moving ONLY at paths given to You by the developers, so peace. It's just mirage of freedom.
To have totally rich C&C we must play pen and paper rpgs if it's comes to cRpg we always will be limited this way or another. At least that mirage is done really good in ME.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yep right, have you ever played these games? It's example like C&C should look , and it worked well there. But it's better just to hate, so much fun ;) [that for RK].

If C&C in ME is a garbage how do You call it in other games? Non-existent? At least in ME you can shape destiny of characters, races, many npc's and in some way world around You - maybe in limited way [just like in some other games] but scale and overall impression is a lot stronger than in many other games. It's not like King of Dragon Pass but it's works well.

But okay, everyone has right to his own opinions, just showing mine.

Have you played The Age of Decadence?

RK47

Patron
So... anyone liked any of the characters yet?
How bad / good are they after watching the videos?

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron

Sure, it will be more interesting than another RK movie.
By the way even mythical Fallouts could be called as "railroad" from this point of view just like any other crpg, becouse you are moving ONLY at paths given to You by the developers, so peace. It's just mirage of freedom.
To have totally rich C&C we must play pen and paper rpgs if it's comes to cRpg we always will be limited this way or another. At least that mirage is done really good in ME.
When referring to railroading I'm talking about how the game encourages you to pick a binary morality, Paragon or Renegade (binary morality systems are bullshit but that's another topic for another time) and actively discourages you from deviating from that path.

Note how by the end of ME2 my characters Paragon/Renegade bars looked like this
ONiU0aV.jpg

That was because the game said at the start that my character from ME1 was mostly Paragon so we'll give you more points in that, you need those points to unlock the coloured options on the dialogue wheel, which greatly help in dealing with quests. The game actively discourages you from making the choices you want to make. This was remedied a little in ME3 with the binary morality points being combined into 'reputation'. It helps give you a bit more freedom but ME3 still has the problem of your choices either being Space Jesus or Lulz So Evil and the fact that in the end they don't even matter

aphfVAA.png

Note how in ME3 the reputation bar is less one sided.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When referring to railroading I'm talking about how the game encourages you to pick a binary morality, Paragon or Renegade (binary morality systems are bullshit but that's another topic for another time) and actively discourages you from deviating from that path.

Renegade is the only option in Mass Effect anyway. Those Dirty Harry moments are the only thing ME2 and ME3's stories have going for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom