Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Bliblablubb

Arcane
They are supposed to buy the game RITE NAO for 60 dorrars, not once they have finished playing the others that are now priced at 5 bucks. Maybe then they have even lost interest after scanning planets for hours.

Nonono, in todays console dominated world, every player has to be treated like it's his first game ever lured into buying by the awsome advertisment alone. Hence the "use your mouse to look around" tutorials in every game.
Gaming mags are already complaing about not getting press builds anymore, or getting forced not to write about a game before it's already bought by the masses. Ass Creed: Punity being a prominent example.

Gord

Arcane
Dunno if their main fear was losing out on buyers who didn't want to play the entire trilogy.
Rather I got the impression that when they actually had to make true on their hype about a trilogy where every choice mattered and carried over, they found out that doing so is resource intensive and complicated and ditched that feature.

Slow James

Savant
The save import feature was mostly useless in ME2 and DA2 (just some cameos and flavour), but in ME3, where it was suposed to be a big deal, they butchered it.

Even when ME games don't have a ton of choices that are really important to carry over, they decided to make those choices totally trivial, and when the purpose of those choices (save the rachni queen, save the council, destroy the collector base...) was to have an impact in the future, it's fucking preposterous to call that good C&C.
I only remember one ocassion where the save import in ME3 is put to a good use, and this is in the Tuchanka mission. Depending who lived and who died, the morality of the choice of removing the genofage varied, which I think is pretty neat.

The presence of Wrex, Eve and/or Mordin is really the only change found. If you saved the cure in earlier games, Eve will be dead - that's the only thing it does. Mordin dies regardless, unless Wrex is dead.

I agree it changed the dynamic of how conversation played out, but it certisnky didn't affect the larger world or the choice at hand. Wrex was a good clan leader, but the question of the genophage is one of biology. A decade, a century, a mile so down the road - that's far beyond the scope of a handful of leaders to control. Were Krogan still warlike? Would they breed to fill up every available planet? Would the Galaxy be safe with the cure? These are the questions you have to ask yourself. Previous Tuchankan culture did not prevent them from bombing themselves into nuclear winter, so what evidence is there that any new culture/leadership it would course correct them to avoid being similarly self-destructive?

To me, Wrex as the leader of all Krogans, with a cured Eve by his side, where he has limited control of who gets the cure and who doesn't - that is a viable future. Curing every Krogan on the planet will only lead to entire armies overpopulating the planet in a matter of years with weakened Council races completely unable to stop them. You'd be trading the certain death of Reaper genocide with the eternal boot of a species with zero ability to control their breeding and aggressive biology.

There is no possible way Wrex and Eve could hold that together. Not without the leverage of being the only source of the cure.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played 4 more hours of Inquisition today after previously getting a refund after 7 hours of play. Here are some thoughts:

• Holy shit, if you are on PC and using a dual-wield rogue, switch to archery immediately. A huge problem in DA:I is that the more action-focused combat forces you to follow people around clumsily to hit them since there is no auto-attack. Archery changes all of this by hitting whoever you aim at consistently and without trouble as long as you hold down LMB to attack. It basically feels like auto-attack, just you having to hold a button down to activate it. Daggers did not feel this way. Also the archery talents are fun, more tactics are involved like stealthing to line up a sniper shot or using explosions and grenades to crowd control. I'm having a much better time in combat since switching.

• The main story quests are significantly more involved and interesting than the wilderness quests. I pretty much mainlined the main quest for four hours and did three big set-pieces that had a) more designed battles, b) more interesting environments, c) more story surrounding the quests. If the wilderness stuff is all MMO design filler the main quest still seems to be normal Bioware quest design. Not sure about companion quests, haven't done any.

• The wilderness stuff IS still all MMO design. Everyone says "get out of the Hinterlands if you think it's an offline MMO!" Well guess what, the swamp and storm coast play exactly the same way. Collect-a-thons, shitty MMO quests, random spawns and respawns. So no, leaving the Hinterlands doesn't suddenly turn this into fucking Origins, it just changes the scenery for your MMO questing, like changing a zone in WoW.

• There are indeed 9 "specializations," three for each class. I haven't played with my own since it requires a quest but Cassandra is a templar which brings in some AoE stuff and bonus damage to demons so far. Nothing amazing but good to see what I read was true, there is more to the skill trees than the anorexic appearance at the start. Not much more though, still DA2 levels or below.

• These specializations are actually kind of annoying for companions though, because it limits them to how Bioware wants them to be. Blackwall is the one with the tank tree, so like Anders in DA2 being the only real healer, now Blackwall is the only real tank. You could make Cassandra or Bull a tank I guess, but since their specialization trees are about doing damage, and Blackwall's is added tank abilities, it seems like Blackwall will be in everyone's party unless the PC is a tank. Similarly Vivienne is a melee warrior mage thing, which is not what I want her to be, so now I feel like I have to use someone else instead. By making each companion unique in a sense they are making your combat choices dictate exactly what your party will be, which is kind of lame. Same thing as DA2, where a warrior who hates apostate mages still has to use Anders because he's the only healer. I thought Bioware were story-focused?

• Game is still crap but is less crap I guess than the first 7 hours makes you feel like it is. High praise?

Edit: bullet lists have no spacing between paragraphs uhhh okay. Slapped on a fix.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The save import feature was mostly useless in ME2 and DA2 (just some cameos and flavour), but in ME3, where it was suposed to be a big deal, they butchered it.

Even when ME games don't have a ton of choices that are really important to carry over, they decided to make those choices totally trivial, and when the purpose of those choices (save the rachni queen, save the council, destroy the collector base...) was to have an impact in the future, it's fucking preposterous to call that good C&C.
I only remember one ocassion where the save import in ME3 is put to a good use, and this is in the Tuchanka mission. Depending who lived and who died, the morality of the choice of removing the genofage varied, which I think is pretty neat.

The presence of Wrex, Eve and/or Mordin is really the only change found. If you saved the cure in earlier games, Eve will be dead - that's the only thing it does. Mordin dies regardless, unless Wrex is dead.

I agree it changed the dynamic of how conversation played out, but it certisnky didn't affect the larger world or the choice at hand. Wrex was a good clan leader, but the question of the genophage is one of biology. A decade, a century, a mile so down the road - that's far beyond the scope of a handful of leaders to control. Were Krogan still warlike? Would they breed to fill up every available planet? Would the Galaxy be safe with the cure? These are the questions you have to ask yourself. Previous Tuchankan culture did not prevent them from bombing themselves into nuclear winter, so what evidence is there that any new culture/leadership it would course correct them to avoid being similarly self-destructive?

To me, Wrex as the leader of all Krogans, with a cured Eve by his side, where he has limited control of who gets the cure and who doesn't - that is a viable future. Curing every Krogan on the planet will only lead to entire armies overpopulating the planet in a matter of years with weakened Council races completely unable to stop them. You'd be trading the certain death of Reaper genocide with the eternal boot of a species with zero ability to control their breeding and aggressive biology.

There is no possible way Wrex and Eve could hold that together. Not without the leverage of being the only source of the cure.
You're giving more depth to the dilemma than Bioware ever has.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you here. But the game is clearly telling that, with Wrex and Eve, everything is wonderland in Krogan land. So, with the narrow mindset of Bioware writers, I think they did a good job of making the choice morally different depending on who is alive (and in charge). You can even convince Mordin that cure the Krogans is wrong, despite his terrible guilt, when Eve is dead and the brother of Wrex alive.
I think, even with the simplistic nature the conflict was treated, it was a good idea to tie wich option was the good one, and wich the bad one to past choices.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
DalekFlay Go fuck yourself and grind 30 sidequest to unlock main quest.

Is this a response to something I wrote? The MMO grind is terrible, and I said so.

I duno why u came back into this game after getting a refund, man. The power farming mechanics to unlock main quest is one of those baffling decisions they ever made in RPG alongside the ass-tastic combat system.
30 side quests filled with nothing but trash gathering and killing just to get your main quest down.
Not to mention the game major optional quests at 8 points.
People said post-Skyhold the game gets better, it definitely doesn't in my case.

Slow James

Savant
You're giving more depth to the dilemma than Bioware ever has.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you here. But the game is clearly telling that, with Wrex and Eve, everything is wonderland in Krogan land. So, with the narrow mindset of Bioware writers, I think they did a good job of making the choice morally different depending on who is alive (and in charge). You can even convince Mordin that cure the Krogans is wrong, despite his terrible guilt, when Eve is dead and the brother of Wrex alive.
I think, even with the simplistic nature the conflict was treated, it was a good idea to tie wich option was the good one, and wich the bad one to past choices.

The white washing of morality is what really is my biggest pet peeve with Bioware. They can't STAND to give players a choice that will be more pragmatic instead of "everyone is happy and holding hands in the hippie circle" without taking the dark choice and turning it into an excuse to be a jerk.

Bah. I'm glad I have zero desire to play their games anymore - their attempts at story telling large political issues devolve into typical hero fantasy circle jerk logic without fail.

DalekFlay Go fuck yourself and grind 30 sidequest to unlock main quest.

Is this a response to something I wrote? The MMO grind is terrible, and I said so.

I duno why u came back into this game after getting a refund, man. The power farming mechanics to unlock main quest is one of those baffling decisions they ever made in RPG alongside the ass-tastic combat system.
30 side quests filled with nothing but trash gathering and killing just to get your main quest down.
Not to mention the game major optional quests at 8 points.
People said post-Skyhold the game gets better, it definitely doesn't in my case.
that 30 points worth quest is for 12-15 lvl team. you are what ? 9th lvl? the quests for your lvl are worth 4-8 power points to unlock. and thats like 3 or 4 rift gates(you get 2 points for every closed gate)

i am not going to tell you how to play and since i am enjoying your LP so far you could try to unlock : Forbidden Oasis, Crestwood, Fallow Mire, Exalted Plans, Emerlad Graves, Western Approach. There is fuckton ways to gain power points besides fetch quests in Hinterlands.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No I meant the line itself was an obscure part of the movie.
It was one of my favorite lines. Together with the "It was two minutes five minutes ago" gag :D And let's not forget "I know a lot of tits, Governor. But none of them are nearly as stupid as these two."

DalekFlay , I know what you mean. I'm playing a dual-wield rogue and it's horrible. I die constantly to enemies who are at the same level as me.

Regarding the main quest, I skipped ahead and watched some of RK47's videos which go beyond my progress with the main quest. I am appalled. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more inconsistent, cheesy and make any less sense, it kept on getting worse and worse. I therefore intend to run away into the MMO areas, where I intend to live as a goat*. At least until I gather the mental strength to progress the main quest myself.

*Reference here:

Frozen

Arcane
Fucking Biodrones everywhere.
On some other forum I was in colorful convo with one of them (claiming he isn't)
The current state of denial is "omfg this is DAO all over again, best game ewaaa"
Now, I know they are bunch of retards but how cant you see that you are playing a game of different genre?
DAO had tons of Bio shit and hurp durp typical for the company but it was still a story driven RPG.
Even DA2 was the same only more streamlined and stupid with one cheap repeating dungeon and story worse than Prometheus the Ridley Scott move.
This is not an rpg anymore its mmo grind combo with bad action game.Party,tactic and all other remaining rpg elements (like auto lvl stats) are just filer.The game could work better without them.
Why are they advertising it as rpg when their degenerate fans don't know the difference?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I played 4 more hours of Inquisition today after previously getting a refund after 7 hours of play. Here are some thoughts:
  • These specializations are actually kind of annoying for companions though, because it limits them to how Bioware wants them to be. Blackwall is the one with the tank tree, so like Anders in DA2 being the only real healer, now Blackwall is the only real tank. You could make Cassandra or Bull a tank I guess, but since their specialization trees are about doing damage, and Blackwall's is added tank abilities, it seems like Blackwall will be in everyone's party unless the PC is a tank. Similarly Vivienne is a melee warrior mage thing, which is not what I want her to be, so now I feel like I have to use someone else instead. By making each companion unique in a sense they are making your combat choices dictate exactly what your party will be, which is kind of lame. Same thing as DA2, where a warrior who hates apostate mages still has to use Anders because he's the only healer. I thought Bioware were story-focused?

Although I agree that either all specilizations should be available to companions or they should have gotten specifications unique to them..
  • Black Wall could have had a Grey Warden specialization.
  • Iron Bull could have the Dairy Fairy specialization. (MILK ME HAROLD)
  • Cole could have -Weird Demon Thing With Tea Kettle On it's Head-

You left out two important points.

The specializations are not mandatory / important to beat the game on Nightmare.
The game is fucking easy as balls on Nightmare.

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't mind companions having different specializations, but I do mind this "4 party members" bullshit Bioware has going on. Because you need 1 Tank, 1 Rogue and 1 Mage your choice become kinda limited.

It was even more annoying in DAO because of course you'll want Alistair (MT and there for story reasons) and Wynne (healbot) and maybe even Morrigan (same reason as Alistair).

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira

I found it funny when you put your hand around ironyuri's tool, but other than that...
Wy19jhQ.gif

How do you manage to keep playing?

Mystary!

Arcane
Wynne (healbot)
I recently replayed DA:O and you definitely do not need Wynne or a dedicated healer at all, even on Nightmare. I gave Morrigan one healing spell and only had to use it once in a blue moon. CC is so much better, cone of frost, sleep etc, if you take no damage there is no need to heal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom