Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
which part is that? was it my editing?
I welcome you.
And I (wellcome) you (as well).

I guess he talks about skipping certain words during normal speech.

I hope you're just being sarcastic. This (that I said wouldn't surprise me) would be the exact opposite of choices and consequences.
You perhaps don't imagine it as a choices and consequences, but this is Gaider and Bioware game we are talking about. This is definitely improvement upon what they normally do.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I welcome you.

Ah I see. Stop nitpicking, it's fun, brah.

I didn't realize it before, but after watching this video, I realized that this game has pretty blatant level scaling - I made it through Crestwood yesterday and enemies were in the 12-13 range, same as my party.

I wonder if there's a maximum level limit for scaling.

Does it? Maybe they scale the wilderness by regions?
Cause I was definitely facing lvl 10-12 once I arrive at the Fort.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I welcome you.

I hope you're just being sarcastic. This (that I said wouldn't surprise me) would be the exact opposite of choices and consequences.
You perhaps don't imagine it as a choices and consequences, but this is Gaider and Bioware game we are talking about. This is definitely improvement upon what they normally do.

No, no, there's definetly "I look forward to working with you" followed immediately by "And I you". It's at 1:20

I think choices and consequences would have been having different means to achieve the same goal, and different consequences depending on that choice. "Pick the perk we want or we close a certain path to you" is convenience for the developers at the player's expense, not choices and consequences. But as you say, this is bioware we're talking about, where they tell the retards which perk to pick when a door won't open...

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
This game is so bad I get tempted to try it.

I mean, it probably got some redeeming qualities for newbie gamers and more casual people but damn, as an RPG? What in the...I would blush less playing Sakura Spirit.

it's really fine. it's not great. it's not terrible. please stop with the same moronic OMG TOO COOL TO PLAY UNIRONICALLY bullshit. it's been said a thousand times before by a thousand people just as disingenuous as you are. go, get it, think about it, come back and tell us how it made you feel and where it could've been better. this hipstrocious nonsense is not a contribution.

I was a super fan of Bioware. Im not paying 60 bucks for this.

it's better than all the other shit they've put out since KOTOR, I'm not sure what you want if you're a "superfan"

and oh man, if it's Hawke vs Loghain or Allistair...that's a) some narrative love, writing it three different ways, and b) welp, no need to write Hawke-is-still-alive worldstates for future games. talk about charisma versus charisn'tma.

crawlkill

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English, but is there a language in which "And I you" means something when said as a reply to "I look forward to working with you"?

it's a completely valid standard English elided construction of a returned sentiment, yes, usually used in this context, when expressing a sentiment about something you anticipate. the unelided sentence would be "And I [look forward to working with] you." sorry, it's correct. the delivery might've been wrong, but there's no other way to say "And I you" in English than in that context, so I doubt the voiceactor misunderstood what was going on.

source: native speaker, language student or else I'd've been much meaner about you trying to nitpick verbiage in a non-native language. actually, I'm gonna be mean anyway. you're a fucking idiot, it's perfectly correct, maybe complain about something real rather than trying to be a grammar nazi -in a language you are not even apparently fluent in.-

fuck.

Deleted member 7219

I'm getting to the end of the main quest, so I'm trying to finish of all the 'loyalty' missions. You can't see how much influence you have over your companions by looking at a counter, but their character cards in the Select Party menu do change once you've done everything. I thought I had for Dorian but his hasn't changed yet, same with Solas and Cassandra. Very strange.

Iron Bull and Sera's are still the same but this doesn't surprise me, they are the characters I like the least and I tend to leave them in Skyhold.

Definitely completed all quests for Varric, Blackwall, Cole and Vivienne.

By the way, Solas is an absolute bro and one of the most interesting, likeable, realistic and non-whingey characters Bioware has ever written. Yeah he can go on about the Fade a bit but he's actually the most level headed character in the game.

crawlkill

I'm getting to the end of the main quest, so I'm trying to finish of all the 'loyalty' missions. You can't see how much influence you have over your companions by looking at a counter, but their character cards in the Select Party menu do change once you've done everything. I thought I had for Dorian but his hasn't changed yet, same with Solas and Cassandra. Very strange.

Iron Bull and Sera's are still the same but this doesn't surprise me, they are the characters I like the least and I tend to leave them in Skyhold.

really? the change is when you've done -everything-? my Varric changed...but I'm still toward the front end of the main plot. he's not gonna have any more content? jeez.

Deleted member 7219

really? the change is when you've done -everything-? my Varric changed...but I'm still toward the front end of the main plot. he's not gonna have any more content? jeez.

Well, they change to reflect changes in their character. He might still have more things to say, but through your influence on him, you've already had an affect on him. That's what I meant.

I don't know what's coming up but the cards for Varric, Blackwall, Cole and Vivienne have changed, which is good because I know I've done pretty big things for all four. But I know I did stuff for Dorian, Solas and Cassandra too but there's are unchanged.

Spoiler for a choice presented to Cassandra mid-game:
Maybe Cassandra's is because I talked her out of become Divine....

crawlkill

Spoiler for a choice presented to Cassandra mid-game:
Maybe Cassandra's is because I talked her out of become Divine....

I figured she was destined for that. I haven't gotten there yet.

I really love when it turns out she reads Varric's books. That's the kind of character moment I want. It doesn't seem that strong at first until you realize -she's probably been reading them since long before she interrogated him,- and that makes for a total recast of their whole relationship, throws her dedication into relief. I absolutely love it.

There -is- good stuff. Plenty of it. There's just a lot of very mediocre stuff, too. Is it worth getting through for the good stuff...? Eh, maybe. Most of the game -isn't- filler. Like, at first I thought it was, then I left the first zone and found I had to leave my audyabooks turned off because it was just dialogue after dialogue after dialogue--some of it memorable, some of it less so, only a little cringeworthy.

The consensus seems to be that it keeps getting better as it advances, so I'm optimistic.

Deleted member 7219

I'm sorry I read that Cassandra spoiler because I already thought I had completed her plotline since her card already changed but I guess I was wrong. Anyway I can confirm that I have had cassandra's card changed and I haven't reached that point in the story that you have in the spoiler.

Her card changed for me after
I did her quest where you go to that castle looking for the rest of the seeker order and confront the the leader of the seekers, lord lucious or whatever his name is.

So I'm not really sure what causes card changes. I have had Cassandras and Iron Bulls card change for me. I also did a side quest for Sera but her card didn't change. I don't know if that is because their card only changes if you influence them in certain ways or if I still have more side quest to finish with Sera. Although based on what you have said I have not finished all of Cassandra's stuff but still got her card to change. Although maybe that is because the example you had in your spoiler may be part of the main plot and doesn't count as companion side quest stuff.

Another thought is that maybe the card changes are based on getting a certain amount of approval regardless of how much of their sidequest/content you have done. Although Iron Bulls Card change seems awfully specific to the decision I made for him.
His new card shows him marching with other Qunari.

What I mentioned is definitely part of the main plot - and it turns out my conversation with her didn't actually affect anything. The actual decision hasn't been made yet at all.

Can you tell me what her card is - mine has her on a horse, and my Iron Bull one has him holding a skull.

crawlkill

Iron Bull holding a skull is the baseline, I can confirm.

this game has so many art assets.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English, but is there a language in which "And I you" means something when said as a reply to "I look forward to working with you"?

Common and grammatically accurate, actually.

Edit: Ninja'd

Anyway I just killed two dragons on hard mode without using my party at all. Not a tough game I take it.

RK47

Patron
please stop with the same moronic OMG TOO COOL TO PLAY UNIRONICALLY bullshit. it's been said a thousand times before by a thousand people just as disingenuous as you are. go, get it, think about it, come back and tell us how it made you feel and where it could've been better. this hipstrocious nonsense is not a contribution..

1q0n84-1.gif

Welcome to RPGCodex.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It really is just a bad game. I thought I was getting an open world, but I just got a bunch of big maps. I thought I was getting something closer to DA:O, but it feels like DA2++. No memorable companions. Meh story.

I would have settled for a sequel to DA:O, however much flaws that game had.

RK47

Patron
It really is just a bad game. I thought I was getting an open world, but I just got a bunch of big maps. I thought I was getting something closer to DA:O, but it feels like DA2++. No memorable companions. Meh story.

Once you get to Skyhold, it gets better.
At late game, it gets even better.

crawlkill

Once you get to Skyhold, it gets better.
At late game, it gets even better.

I don't really understand why nerds have gotten so obsessed with the idea of "an open world." "Open worlds" inevitably mean diluted or formulaic content. Inquisition isn't really an open world; the Hinterlands pretend it is, but then it becomes a series of very large quest zones, with additional shit to do built into them.

The structure of the game is very much like Dragon Age 2, except instead of sending you back to the same cave over and over, they give you a whole new zone for your sidequests. Don't think of the zones as "big dynamic quest areas." In inquisition, a zone is where -one- important thing happens, and then maybe there's a dragon for later. This may not be universally true--I'm still less than halfway through the plot and completionist-ing the early zones. But that's how it seems.

This is Good Design. Having focus for each region you visit. Would it really improve shit for you if you'd been fast traveling across visitable spaces with nothing or procedurally generated content in them, Bethesda-style?

christ, there are so many things to criticize about the game, but you loathsome spergs insist on attacking the most boring shit. not. contributing. "the maps aren't all one map!" wow. that sure is insightful. how about the fact that Varric will answer questions about Hawke with unchanged dialogue even after I sent Hawke to his death and he was all broken up about it? did that not merit a rerecorded line when I ask about Hawke? what about EVERYTHING bout miss I'M SO ZANY elf chick? what about the Uncle Tomplar black mage woman who's an accidental metaphor for -any- privileged black person in the US defending that cop from Ferguson? I'm not even trying and I came up with this shit.

it's not bad. it's flawed. find flaws and you'll be participating in the conversation. gurgle sewage this way and you aren't.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Thanks. I thought there was always a key as well, and btw there should be, because if these doors can only be unlocked by using this perk, this means some quests can't be completed without the perk, which is idiotic. But with a game of this quality, I wuppose we can't rule out this possibility right..."

\WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. C&C. Your choice of perks actually effects the gameplay. HOLY FUCK THAT FUKKIN' BIOWARE ! With all the things worth criticizing that's what you whine about? Fukkin' toolbag.

"Anyway I just killed two dragons on hard mode without using my party at all. Not a tough game I take it."

Were they dragons or were they HIGH dragons? HUGE difference. And, did you CHEESE? People bragged how easy BG2 dragons were too.. then mentioned how they cheesed them. L0L

RK47

Patron
christ, there are so many things to criticize about the game, but you loathsome spergs insist on attacking the most boring shit.

I read many people talking about awesome reactivity in exploration zones.
In fact, paragraphs and paragraphs were dedicated in singing of how reactive it was to have a fortress taken down, and an Inquisition Banner was raised becoming your new center of operations.
Yet everything is resolved with the same old method of killing.

Yes, killing is normal in RPG. It's normal to have players killing hordes of bandits. In fact, this is how many people approach Assassin Creed. When the game tossed so many combat at you, it's inevitable you want some other ways to resolve conflicts. You want that Keep taken? Fine. How do you do this in DA:I?

1. Kill them all with One handed weapon.
2. Kill them all with Two handed weapon.
3. Kill them all with Magic.
4. Kill them all with Ranged weapon.

People even elevate this further as some kind form of C&C, saying 'Oh, so and so faction mob will stop respawning once you've slaughtered and broken their center of operations. It's pretty amazing to watch how you transform a zone after completing multiple quest lines in that area.'

So, what you're saying is no different than:
peopledie.jpg

Just think about that for one moment and let me tell you what I did in the first village I entered in Arcanum.
There's a guy blocking the bridge with two burly ogres as his bodyguards, what are my options?
I can outright try to slaughter them with magic, guns, grenades.
Or I can work for him by destroying the town's supplies.
Or I can convince him to let me pass.
Or I can pay the toll.

If this example isn't enough to explain to you the shallowness of DA:I's definition of C&C and reactivity then I guess that's that.
Let's recap:
You're amazed at this fact:
peopledie.jpg

To that I say:
To hell with your illusions of grandeur, I have a reality to deal with: I need to make more people die so I can save the Empress of Orlais whose Grand Ball will not start until I have gathered an arbitrary measure of power by claiming landmarks and other places in the wonderful exploratory world that has no real meaning except 'quest unlock tokens.'

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yet, you continue to play this horrible horrible game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom