Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

grimace

Arcane

DRAGON QUEST III HD-2D Remake – Release Date trailer​

The beloved and timeless classic DRAGON QUEST III HD-2D Remake is reborn in a stunning new graphical style!Set out on an epic adventure to save the world from the villainous Archfiend in this modern remake of the legendary RPG.Coming to Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X/S, Steam® and Windows on November 14, 2024.

https://youtu.be/IJoq6FWY-00

Mauman

Scholar
Saw the male thief at about 56 seconds in.

Seems they're keeping at least some of the snes/gba stuff in.

Also, wow....I was beginning to think this was never coming out :P

edit - That post trailer announcement

:shredder:

n0wh3r3

Educated
Can anybody spend a word or two about Dragon Quest XI S? I'd like to play it as my next game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Can anybody spend a word or two about Dragon Quest XI S? I'd like to play it as my next game.

Excellent storyline that is in line with Dragon Quest as a series which makes it a comfort to play. Likeable characters without the pretentiousness that seems to permeate so many games. A finely crafted world to explore with nice points of discoveries and secrets. The soundtrack, as expected, is terrific. You can select between symphonic or original. The inclusion of a fully playable 2d, 16bit mode was an excellent touch. I played through both. Very enjoyable.

n0wh3r3

Educated

Excellent storyline that is in line with Dragon Quest as a series which makes it a comfort to play. Likeable characters without the pretentiousness that seems to permeate so many games. A finely crafted world to explore with nice points of discoveries and secrets. The soundtrack, as expected, is terrific. You can select between symphonic or original. The inclusion of a fully playable 2d, 16bit mode was an excellent touch. I played through both. Very enjoyable.
Thanks. I've only played Dragon Quest I and VI on mobile until now and they have been a joy to play.

Vorark

Erudite
Impressive how far the HD-2D style has come since Octopath. I wouldn't mind IV-V-VI being remade like this, specially DQVI.

Beautiful cover art too.

dq3-keyart-Vytoh2tdL.jpg

Is there any kind of grinding in Dragon Quest XI S?

I forget. DQXI doesn't have random encounters in its 3-D mode, opting for easily-dodgeable monsters on the overworld so you really only have to fight as many monsters are you choose to. Anymore I tend to find these games the most fun when I'm trying to beat them as low-level as possible, within reason.

The last run of DQ8 I did many years ago I managed to beat one of the first bosses pretty low level, and beat the first Dhoulmagus fight without a party-wide healing spell. Was pretty satisfying.

Sentinel

Arcane
There's only grinding if you want to beat the true final boss (and see the true ending). But there's also a very easy method to grind to 99 (and im not even sure you need to be 99 for the final boss).

n0wh3r3

Educated
There's only grinding if you want to beat the true final boss (and see the true ending). But there's also a very easy method to grind to 99 (and im not even sure you need to be 99 for the final boss).
Is New Game+ required for achieving the true ending?

Anyway, being fairly new to the series (I have only played I and VI), my understanding is that DQ XI is more about experiencing the world, characters, ... than battling or delving into deep and complex systems. Correct?

And what about Dragon Quest Builders?

Sentinel

Arcane
Nope. Don't even think there's New Game+.

Anyway, being fairly new to the series (I have only played I and VI), my understanding is that DQ XI is more about experiencing the world, characters, ... than battling or delving into deep and complex systems. Correct?
It's not a "more X than Y" game. Think of it as high budget Dragon Quest game. It's not mechanically complex in terms of its gameplay systems - the most choice you get is what equipment to wear and how to develop your characters with a non-linear skill tree.

The story is the same as every Dragon Quest game - big bad shows up, save us heroman! - the only thing that changes are the side locations and stories, and that's where DQXI shines imo. I still remember a lot of the side content you come across in the various towns you visit. I think aside from 6 and 7, XI is the best game in the series in that department.

n0wh3r3

Educated
Nope. Don't even think there's New Game+.

It's not a "more X than Y" game. Think of it as high budget Dragon Quest game. It's not mechanically complex in terms of its gameplay systems - the most choice you get is what equipment to wear and how to develop your characters with a non-linear skill tree.

The story is the same as every Dragon Quest game - big bad shows up, save us heroman! - the only thing that changes are the side locations and stories, and that's where DQXI shines imo. I still remember a lot of the side content you come across in the various towns you visit. I think aside from 6 and 7, XI is the best game in the series in that department.
Can't wait to play it then! I will try to find some space for it as soon as possible.

Could hand me a vague sketch of what it is required to get the true ending so I can tailor my expectations better?

Sentinel

Arcane
Could hand me a vague sketch of what it is required to get the true ending so I can tailor my expectations better?
From memory you just have to continue playing after credits. I didn't use any guides at all aside from finding the best method of grinding. You just have to spend roughly 1 hour (or less) spawning & killing King Metal Slimes to get enough levels to survive the final boss.

But the Final Boss has a unique mechanic related to a plot-item that deals extra damage. I'm not sure I actually knew this at the time so I went in there at 99 lol. Think I've seen videos of people fighting it at ~70 though.

Don't worry, it's not an "hidden path" that you can miss.

index.php

Arcane

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake confusingly removes gender from protagonist, subclasses

by Niche Gamer Staff on July 4, 2024 at 1:05 AM, EDT

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake

Square Enix has confirmed more info for their Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, seemingly removing the concept of gender from the long-awaited remake.

A new article for the game re-introduced the main protagonist, who in the original Dragon Quest III was realistically only a male character and in its SNES remake could be male or female.

The new Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, however, lists the two genders as the dreaded “Type A” and “Type B” instead of the biological genders male and female.

The new article (via Ryokutya2089) also confirms despite removing biological genders from the male and female protagonists, their voice actors are played by a male and a female, Hiyama Nobuyuki and Minaguchi Yuko, respectively.

Furthermore, the artwork shown for each version of the hero “definitely” looks like a biological male or female according to the source. This compounds the confusion when considering there are some personalities (these affected stat growth) for the hero that are gender exclusive.

The last concerning thing mentioned in the article is that other jobs in the game are also no longer distinguished by gender in name – further confusing things as each subsequent job had a male and female variant as well.

It’s worth noting you could select male or female in the original NES version but sprite was the same, player stats and growth remained the same, and you still get referred to as a male (the latter becomes a running gag in the SNES remake).

The long awaited Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake is launching on November 14th across Windows PC (via Steam and the Microsoft Store), Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 5.

Vorark

Erudite
Of course Square-Enix had to find a way to taint the game. I'm a bit surprised this idiocy made its way into the Japanese version though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom