Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Soilent Green

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
best chance for some serious playstyles is to add a age restriction so all those WoW kids cant play.
You'd ban bethesda's target audience from TESO?

Yes.
:smug:

Anyway, what happened to first person, real time are what [Bethesda] know, so that's the only kind of Fallout 3 games they make?

(Yes, I know this isn't being made by the same team; still seems fucking stupid to me, though).

Luzur

Good Sir
only scenes that reminded me of TES was the Dwemer and Aeylid ruins, the town looks like the usual WoW villages, heck Daggerfall could easily be in Azeroth Alliance DLC.

Data4

Arcane
As dubious as this seems, I'm not sure we have to declare it garbage just yet. Honestly, wait until you see gameplay footage first at the very least. Personally, I'm still hopeful.

You ain't from around here, are ya, boy?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
As dubious as this seems, I'm not sure we have to declare it garbage just yet. Honestly, wait until you see gameplay footage first at the very least. Personally, I'm still hopeful.
I could swear I've seen it somewhere before. Can't recall if it was a random biodrone about TORtanic or random biodrone about ME3.

Angthoron

Arcane
I could swear I've seen it somewhere before. Can't recall if it was a random biodrone about TORtanic or random biodrone about ME3.
Maybe he's hopeful for massive lulz. I know I am.

Data4

Arcane
The sad thing is that I'm so bored with games lately that I'll probably get it just out of curiosity. I'll likely not even get through the first month, same as my experience with TOR, which took only 3 days before revealing itself as ass. S'what I get for being a masochist with disposable income, I suppose.

Angthoron

Arcane
Just fish around for friend access codes or wait four months til it goes limited F2P, really.

Angthoron

Arcane
Paul Sage strikes again:

Paul Sage, ESO game director: “I think the key thing there is when you look at [things like the clickable toolbar] think of it more as an accessibility thing. When it’s designed and laid out, it’s there to give you the ability to do something very quickly. So, versus thinking of it as ‘it’s-the-ability-bar’ combat, think of it more as “that’s a tool being used to give it a real-time feel.’ Certainly some things would have a cooldown, but a lot of things have no cooldown whatsoever. So you’re seeing a very reactive, fast-paced combat.”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/06/th...s-not-as-world-of-warcraft-as-you-might-fear/

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm not a fan of MMOs, but I've been reading up on it, and public's reaction to it is just hilarious.

Zenimax has finally done it, they're being criticised instead of fellatedpraised for derping TES.

waywardOne

Arcane
an accessibility thing.
Accessibility used to mean making adjustments for retards and gimps. They want it to mean something else, but we know it's still the same.

accessibility.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Found a new interview with Paul Sage

TESO is being criticized for becoming too much of a WoW-clone.

We implemented some familiar systems from WoW because we think it will not only attract a bigger customer base and increase sales, but also make it easier for everyone to play. Easy to play is important today, because everybody have become more or less retarded. We don't want to interrupt the player with innovation and learning new systems. We want them to have a familiarity with our game so we don't have to spend any effort making it. We can do that, you know, because we have a good franchise here. We call it the "make WoW gamers play our franchise shit"-approach. SWTOR didn't manage that approach correctly. We can look at that and learn. So what we're doing is injecting a shit-ton of money into marketing.​

Speaking of competitors, what are your thoughts on GW2?

The Guild Wars dudes are certainly making an effort here, and I think that's to be applauded. I mean who the hell would actually sit down and develop new systems for a game? Ultimately, though, I think that they are way off mark. Our product will be much better. We have a stronger franchise, better ties with Game Informer, and Todd Howard.​

I thought Todd Howard had nothing to do with this title?

Yeah but you know, it's Elder Scrolls. I'm sure there are some people out there who thinks we're actually Bethesda making this. Hell, some people might even think it's another game in the Bethesda TES series! We'll call those Hell yeah-sales.​

The game is set 1000 years before Skyrim-

Is it?​

Yes, and it's a relatively unexplored period in TES history. How will you balance creating your own history and intrigue with staying canon to TES lore set by previous titles?

Well, you see, I think what's most important is that we have that "Elder Scrolls" slapped on the box. What's even more important is that we can appeal to WoW gamers. This means we will have to completely ignore any sort of 'lore' and just go with whatever tweaks we have to in order to create a WoW-like experience. For instance, we'll allow for some seriously awesome alliances. We need our Alliance and Horde, you know? Red and blue. That's important. Doesn't make any sense in context of the game's setting? Who gives a shit.​

Black

Arcane
I'm not a fan of MMOs, but I've been reading up on it, and public's reaction to it is just hilarious.

Zenimax has finally done it, they're being criticised instead of fellatedpraised for derping TES.
Won't change anything, after this mmo ultimately fails, bethesda will go make fallout 4 or oblivion 3 and the reaction is going to be "bethesda, after trying something new, comes back to making what they're good at- hardcore role-playing games for hard to satisfy nerds."

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Won't change anything, after this mmo ultimately fails, bethesda will go make fallout 4 or oblivion 3 and the reaction is going to be "bethesda, after trying something new, comes back to making what they're good at- hardcore role-playing games for hard to satisfy nerds."

Your foresight is flawless :(

I hope that TESO succeeds to be honest. It doesn't have to hurt anyone by just existing, and the success of the TES franchise encourages the inevitable horde of clones, of which a few might be enjoyable.

Wasteland 2
I hope that TESO succeeds to be honest. It doesn't have to hurt anyone by just existing, and the success of the TES franchise encourages the inevitable horde of clones, of which a few might be enjoyable.

Except TESO is a WoW clone and its success will only assure that the next TES game will be a singleplayer WoW clone with cooldown combat and other shit.
Skyrim already has this mechanic in a form of shouts. Making it the core of the gameplay is a small step left to make.
Embrace a warrior's hammer ground smash shockwave cooldown ability in your Oblivion 3. It'll be majestic.

Wasteland 2
I even consider playing Skyrim if Andoran total conversion or any good Oscuro's Overhaul type of mod will be finished one day.
There is also F:NV as an example of Bethesda type game done right.
So while I've never had a Bethesda Softworks developed game installed since Morrowind, they still have potential to something decend coming out of them one way or another.
Certainly more than from average AAA shit. TES games are the type of games I would like to play, the problem is, they are not very good for what they are.
I thought that's what they already are!
The last one I've played was Morrowind and I haven't played WoW as well. So I don't know first hand.
They certainly are single player MMOs but I am under impression that they're still further away from being a WoW clone than average AAA rpg.
It'll change however I am sure of it... Especially if TESO will become even moderate success.

DraQ

Arcane

Except TESO is a WoW clone and its success will only assure that the next TES game will be a singleplayer WoW clone with cooldown combat and other shit.
Skyrim already has this mechanic in a form of shouts. Making it the core of the gameplay is a small step left to make.
Embrace a warrior's hammer ground smash shockwave cooldown ability in your Oblivion 3. It'll be majestic.
:bro:

I hope TESO fails utterly.

Despite further mechanical dumbing down even vanilla Skyrim is far superior to modded oblivious, and there are things in game suggesting beth got scared of some of the reactions to oblivious, even if it was a huge commercial success. If TESO fails, beth gets chastised for dumbing down and oblivious kind of vanishes between better Morrowind and newer Skyrim in terms of popularity, it might change the direction of the series away from the derp.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Zenimax Board of directors:

Robert A. Altman
Chairman & CEO
Ernest Del
President

Jerry Bruckheimer
Jerry Bruckheimer Films

Michael Dominguez
Managing Director, Providence Equity Partners Inc.

Leslie Moonves
President & CEO, CBS Corporation

Cal Ripken, Jr.
President & CEO, Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Harry E. Sloan
Chairman, Global Eagle Acquisition Corp.

Robert S. Trump
President, Trump Management, Inc.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Hands-on by RPGamer

Hey kids, remember all those cool monsters you used to kill all by yourself? Well now you need at least 9 other assholes to kill them with, and they'll probably steal all the epic lewtz they might drop. Have fun!

I9Q7d.jpg

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Jesus Christ that art style looks like NWN2. Why would you do that?

That brought about the removal of skill cooldowns, enemy aggression meters, and equipment restrictions

That's something, I guess. Fucking stale WoW mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom