Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dark Brotherhood Returns

glasnost

Augur
All I really want is to be able to levitate and read more of Kirkbride's metaphysical erotica.

ortucis

Prophet
Search for "Scaleform" if you want to learn about Flash-based inventory. It's used in Unreal 3 engine as well, or the more famous example, Dead Space inventory. It's all flash+scaleform goodness.

As far as their "preview" bit in Skyrim, I suspect it's nothing but the same "rotating" item models in games like Thief. I think that's what they are talking about. Rotate the item in 3D.. if you like looking at item models I guess? Unless there is some puzzle system going on with all items (but I doubt it).

EDIT: What Clockwork Knight posted. :M

waywardOne said:
can i jog across the entire landmass in less than 10 minutes real time?

That reminds me, I wonder how big those "5 big cities" are. If it's

Underneath the Imperial City is a sewer system as large as the city itself.

big, okay, but if it's

Megaton is a sprawling settlement set in a crater and surrounded by walls made of various scavenged materials. It is one of the two largest settlements in the Capital Wasteland, with 28 named inhabitants and several Megaton settlers, rivaled only by Rivet City in sheer size of population.

big...fuuuuuuuuuu

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Fortunately with the modding support, a Fallout-style perk system with skill/stat requirements shouldn't take long.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dark Brotherhood Retur

poocolator said:
obediah said:
  • good: When you re-enter a dungeon you went through 20 hours ago, you get the satisfaction of feeling your stat increases
There's more satisfaction in first being wiped out by a dungeon, coming back a few level-ups later, and then breezing through it without a scratch.
Yes, instead you'll be able to walk around the entire country-side at level 1 and walk into every dungeon before then quickly running out again. Level-up, then come back and breeze through everything at level 50.

Let's face it, this is still piss-poor game design on Bethesda's part. Rather than crafting challenges unique to each dungeon, making some really tough and others easy and spreading them out over the place via some sort of system (EG: Tough Monsters in the North), they just lazy their way through.

I tell you what I'm going to do: I'll not enter any fucking dungeon until I know it'll actually be a challenge, and not CRIPPLE the motherfucking game by entering them too early.

And then... mods. Loads of motherfucking mods, because all Bethesda games REQUIRE mods. Hopefully one of them will remove that dumb-ass "feature"... but finding it under mountains of fetish mods will be a real bitch.

Edit: That is to say if I'll even buy it. I doubt I will.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So they kept level scaling...great, that's all I needed to know.

As for the examine things for puzzle solutions, well that's old adventure game territory where you'd rotate notes in Tex Murphy to find codes etc. I'd say this is the extent of the amazing puzzles in Skyrim.

DarkUnderlord said:
poocolator said:
obediah said:
  • good: When you re-enter a dungeon you went through 20 hours ago, you get the satisfaction of feeling your stat increases
There's more satisfaction in first being wiped out by a dungeon, coming back a few level-ups later, and then breezing through it without a scratch.
Yes, instead you'll be able to walk around the entire country-side at level 1 and walk into every dungeon before then quickly running out again. Level-up, then come back and breeze through everything at level 50.

Let's face it, this is still piss-poor game design on Bethesda's part. Rather than crafting challenges unique to each dungeon, making some really tough and others easy and spreading them out over the place via some sort of system (EG: Tough Monsters in the North), they just lazy their way through.

It is shit design because it never makes a dungeon challenging at all! I mean you say you run in and out at level 1, but if everything is scaled to your level 1 character, then you'll STILL be able to clear the dungeon from the start! Coming back later will just make it even easier and with less XP and worthless loot to collect!

Fuck me, don't they ever learn? Make dungeons unique, some for level 3, some for level 20 etc. You go into a level 20 dungeon at level 12 and get raped, you come back later and clear it and get worthy loot. In the meantime you find some level 8 dungeons that give a bit of challenge but are doable etc. Fuck, it's not rocket science!

It seems though that Beth again is going the cut-pasta method of dungeon creation with random monsters based on level appearing to make the places look less generic. It's a cheap, cheap method that requires no deeper writing, no balancing, no quality design...The fact that Skyrim is coming out so quickly, (most of the time spent already would have been on the engine) shows that it's just shovelware.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Clockwork Knight said:
Andyman Messiah said:
All of this sounds fucking retarded. And why would I want to "preview" an item in my fucking inventory? Isn't that the same as fucking examining it? Fucking looking at it? What is this preview shit? Why do I get the feeling Bethesda is going full James Cameron on us? 3D this and 3D that. Fuck off and die.

My guess is that they just mean doing it like in the Resident Evil series. Sometimes you had to spin medallions around to check for inscriptions and the like.

Sounds useless. Just click on the fucking thing and have some text appear next to it. You see a sword. It's a normal sword. Sounds as useless as third person camera, a thing solely used for vanity hey look how hot my character is in this game that can only be played in first person mode. Look at her tits. You can't see her tits if you go first person, can you? Useless shit.

So angry.

GuideBot

Novice
When they say "read books in 3d" it is presumable that they mean that the insides of books are now 3d objects whereas previously they were 2d overlays on the screen.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think they don't use simple 2D-like ink to write books but use magic to craft *real* worlds within books to watch instead of reading.

waywardOne

Arcane
commie said:
It seems though that Beth again is going the cut-pasta method of dungeon creation with random monsters based on level appearing to make the places look less generic. It's a cheap, cheap method that requires no deeper writing, no balancing, no quality design

what's truly pathetic is that it takes no more effort to randomly generate the dungeons you describe than the ones they're talking about. you could even allow seeding the generators with an ini file or having it come from variables you can set in-game. there's zero reason to have scaled anything in an RPG.

Lingwe

Liturgist
- Technically speaking, Skyrim is an evolution within The Elder Scrolls, not a revolution

What does this mean?

I think it means that when Mr Hines talks about the 'Creation Engine' being a new engine he really means it's a modified version of the Gamebryo engine.

Not that that's a bad thing in terms of modding mind you, for modders who have come from Oblivion or Fallout it will be easier to pick up Skyrim and start de-shitifying it from the get go if the modding tools are in a similar manner to those they already know how to use.

Stereotypical Villain said:
I tell you what I'm going to do: I'll not enter any fucking dungeon until I know it'll actually be a challenge, and not CRIPPLE the motherfucking game by entering them too early.

If the article claimed it was scaled to your level, first entering it at lv25 wouldn't provide you more of a challenge than if you first entered it at lv1. However it didn't say that, could just as well work in level ranges, like dragon age. If you'd enter a lv5-lv10 dungeon at lv1 it would get locked at lv5.

That list reeks of inconsistencies, wouldn't rage about anything in there, just expect it to be similar to FO3's as the mainstream didn't bitch about level scaling in that.

Flesh Mound

Novice

VentilatorOfDoom said:
>- Will sometimes need to figure out puzzles by analyzing 3D previews
>- Will sometimes need to figure out puzzles by reading the solution in the journal
>- Will sometimes need to figure out puzzles by looking at the guide-arrow

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Exclusive screen of Skyrim's looking for clues on items:

axo4fk.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

DarkUnderlord said:

Bethesda have always been reliable at using systems which are easy to exploit. Their standard "level up by doing" system encourages people to jump off cliffs and then heal themselves repeatedly, after all.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Andyman Messiah said:
All of this sounds fucking retarded. And why would I want to "preview" an item in my fucking inventory? Isn't that the same as fucking examining it? Fucking looking at it? What is this preview shit? Why do I get the feeling Bethesda is going full James Cameron on us? 3D this and 3D that. Fuck off and die.

But Todd Howard is still a pretty nice guy I think. :love:

Stop posting.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mastermind said:
Andyman Messiah said:

But Todd Howard is still a pretty nice guy I think. :love:

We all love Todd Howard! He's a dreamy guy. Way hotter than that Chris Avalon the world of Fable guy

DraQ

Arcane
Why are you guys raging at 3D preview, when it is said to actually have in-game application (visual examination of puzzle objects), rather than being a pointless gimmick?
Do note that when it comes to puzzles, visual examination has distinct advantage when compared to textual description as it doesn't provide clues regarding relevancy of given details.

Of course, as a whole, the game sounds shit.
Unsurprisingly.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

- Choose all perks with one character
- Different properties for all weapons, take advantage of them by choosing the right perks
Typical Bethesda.

The second quote sounds just like Piranha Bytes initially described how weapons and perks would work together in Gothic 3 though. I like the idea, although I am not sure what exactly they mean.

- “Low-Fantasy” (game does not look as vibrant, vivid as Morrowind, more like Oblivion)
lol?

- Dragons aren’t rare
Oh, phew. Dodged a bullet there. I was afraid they'd make the common mistake of not having enough dragons to slay. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom