Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dark Brotherhood Returns

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Excommunicator said:
Konjad said:
Xor said:
Wait. Oblivion was "low-fantasy" and morrowind wasn't? What the fuck...Oblivion was incredibly bullshit high fantasy. Everything's so clean and they touch on just about every fantasy cliche they could think of. Morrowind was more gritty; at least the world felt lived in (although that was probably a result of the primitive 3D).

Goddammit, that's like saying the game will be more sword and sorcery like Lord of the Rings, not high fantasy like Conan.

Oblivion was pretty realistic medieval like game, not bullshit fantasy like Morrowind. In Morrowind you had shit environments while in oblivion you had realistic and beautiful forests.

I am tempted to think you are trolling, either way you have no clue what you are talking about.

Pretty realistic medieval like game? What the fuck? Konjad, you have no clue. Stop talking.

:smug:

I never used 'join date' before as a weapon towards being blind for obvious trolling but in this case I can think of no other explanation.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hell, it wasn't even trolling. It was a joke. Obvious joke. Or at least I thought it was obvious.

DraQ

Arcane
Konjad said:
Excommunicator said:
Konjad said:
Xor said:
Wait. Oblivion was "low-fantasy" and morrowind wasn't? What the fuck...Oblivion was incredibly bullshit high fantasy. Everything's so clean and they touch on just about every fantasy cliche they could think of. Morrowind was more gritty; at least the world felt lived in (although that was probably a result of the primitive 3D).

Goddammit, that's like saying the game will be more sword and sorcery like Lord of the Rings, not high fantasy like Conan.

Oblivion was pretty realistic medieval like game, not bullshit fantasy like Morrowind. In Morrowind you had shit environments while in oblivion you had realistic and beautiful forests.

I am tempted to think you are trolling, either way you have no clue what you are talking about.

Pretty realistic medieval like game? What the fuck? Konjad, you have no clue. Stop talking.

:smug:

I never used 'join date' before as a weapon towards being blind for obvious trolling but in this case I can think of no other explanation.
Next time don't use weapons that somehow backfire in your face.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS GAME!! *POSTS IN THREAD, WRITES ABOUT GAME*

Clockwork Knight said:
Well, if you're gonna be picky about it...

Ah, really* , there's no way around it, even if you argue that it's "only for adventurers" or something like that:

"'Sup, wanna know about the most popular spells on sale?".

MW-npc-Arrille.jpg

*zomg stealth pun

Actually, didn't he mostly lecture about the most popular scrolls and potions? He mentions the standard ones for both, and says maybe a sentence about the actual spells he has. Probably because the average customer can use scrolls and potions without much know-how.

Even a backwoods shit town like Seyda Neen is going to try and have a decent supply of those.

Correction, actual spells aren't mentioned at all in his pitch.

morrowind20110130193642.jpg

Besides, the ones he does sell are dinky and near worthless for anyone but a beginner anyway.

Well, he talks directly about magic scrolls and potions. Potions have supernatural effects and can be made by even novices in alchemy (I think that your setting said goodby to Low-f. when a kid with a mortar & pestle can make beverages that let him play Jesus and walk on water).

He also casually talks about scrolls that instantly transport you around and summon things like someone talks about the weather.

About the spells; their relative power isn't important - the thing is that even a shitty merchant in a backwoods shit town sells spells (which, again, are things that mess with the laws of physics themselves) for a few coins. This alone puts TES beyond low-fantasy, I believe.

If we go by the wikipedia definition, TES seems to fit the high f. definition pretty well, imo.

Low fantasy contrasts with the sub-genre of High fantasy. Low fantasy is characterised by being set in the real ("Primary") world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements. The opposite, high fantasy, is set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("Secondary") world with its own, albeit internally-consistent, rules that separate it from the real world. Low fantasy can be described as non-rational events occurring in a rational setting. It is important to note that the use of the word "low" is not an indication of quality but of the relative level of "fantasy" contained within a particular work of fiction.

That said, being High-fantasy isn't a demerit - the setting is internally consistent, and explanations are provided as to why eating the local flora will let you breathe underwater.

Konjad said:
Hell, it wasn't even trolling. It was a joke. Obvious joke. Or at least I thought it was obvious.

Sometimes jumping in too quickly to be like everyone else will get you hurt, Konjad.

Just remember in the future, good trolling and good humour hide an understanding of the topic.

DraQ

Arcane
tehRPness said:
Of course, the Dark Brotherhood will return. It was after all, the least badly-written quest line in all of their last game. :M
:M

Don't forget about linearity and being forced to carry idiot ball.

And the whole thing being band of psychopathic idiot goth kiddies killing for teh lulz and worshipping TES equivalent of second law of thermodynamics (which isn't even conscious).

Jokerman89

Novice
Dark Brotherhood was decent, i thought i was the best part of the game. didnt mind the thieves either. Fighters and mages guilds kinda sucked though.

If i wanted any back it would be the Dark Brotherhood, but why not have a clean slate? Its not as if there the only concept you can come up with for an assassin guild.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom