Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm saying that they are making more money from ESO + Skyrim than they would from releasing a new ES game.

No doubt in their minds they are worried that a new ES game would mean players stop subbing to ESO.

Hell even I considered trying out ESO this past year, and that game is a giant turd + I hate tab target MMOs.

This all makes sense from a money perspective if you think about it. Artistically and creatively, no, but financially? Hell yes.

As for Fallout, they already shat out a Fallout game recently and they're trying to harvest the maximum amount of profits from that. No way they're going to give the licence to someone else so they can watch the already low FO76 player base migrate to another game.

You guys are stuck thinking about this like an actual developer who enjoys making games. If you think like an executive who makes $600k a year plus bonuses based on profits, then suddenly who gives a shit about anything but profit, and FO76 and ESO are massive earners (yes even FO76 because it cost almost nothing to make).

This is stupid. What I'm saying doesn't mean they don't do what they did with ESO and Skyrim. I'm not posing a scruples question, it's not a either or thing. They can still sell those and sell other shit with those brands slapped on them.

I doubt they think another Elder Scrolls would make people stop playing their Online game. If that were true they probably wouldn't be rereleasing Skyrim every other day, and they wouldn't have done that Blades game or whatever it's called. The point is they're getting these other studios to make games for them and if they had them working within the brands that more people know more people would buy them, which would give them more money. I'm thinking of this from a money point of view. If Avalanche had made a third person Fallout game where you're driving around the wasteland fixing up vechicles and power armor and doing shit you could do in their previous games...that would have had way more attention directed at it, and it would have sold more than a sequel to Rage. If they had another Fallout game out their it likely would've also alleviated the clusterfuck they found themselves in with Fallout 76. It wouldn't have drawn away the hardcore Bethesda fanboys that stuck with '76 either, because they're hardcore fanboys and 76 is the one Bethesda made; they'd also be two very different feeling games.

Yosharian

Arcane
The more desperate people get for Elder Scrolls, the more likely it is they'll subscribe to ESO. It's a smart strategy.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Remember, Rockstar shut down expansions for GTA 5 because they were worried about disrupting online play, which is making them ridiculous amounts of money apparently.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I mean, people have tried. Bioware with DA:I, Ubisoft open-world games, and CDProjeckt with Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077. Even Nintendo with Breath of the Wild.

All the games are aping Ubisoft game design way more than Bethesda. Climbing towers to unlock your map and discover a million repetitive tasks that are all drawn from a pool of 3-5 different types of tasks is peak Ubisoft. For all of Bethesda's faults even Skyrim never quite hit that same level of droning formulaic repetitiveness as Ubisoft and Ubisoft design games do. Skyrim is the most recent Bethesda game I've played so I dunno if their later releases are like that.

But much like Obsidian aping Bioware during the 2000s and only being able to attract much smaller, niche audiences, it's difficult reproducing someone else's success.

The difference here is that Obsidian was competing directly with Bioware at the height of their popularity while they were still actively churning out the kind of products that their fans wanted to buy and play. Skyrim was released 9 years ago and it's going to be at least another 4-5 years before the next installment of TES comes out. It's just odd that no one has attempted at a real contender for the throne. It's not like the bar of entry is even that high to begin with.

its interesting that they keep getting new players into eso, considering it doesnt even got a free trial. How many mmos are there like that?

That's because ESO is buy-to-play. It has a subscription model, too, but it's not exactly mandatory, and even if you do pay for it it'll give you more value than other MMO subs do. It has its appeal to customers.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The more desperate people get for Elder Scrolls, the more likely it is they'll subscribe to ESO. It's a smart strategy.

I must be in the minority. I was a huge ES nerd back in the Daggerfall/Morrowind era, but I don't think I once checked out previews/reviews/LPs of ESO. Isn't the whole concept of ES about fantasy and escapism? Kinda deflates that idea when you're zipping around trees, larping as a wood elf and in your ear you hear some kid's mom in Ohio screaming at him to finish his homework before he plays games.

MMO and fantasy games don't seem to be the right combination. I think the WOW factor is at work. It's not about fantasy any more as much as it is hyper-competition and numbers crunching. Escapist video games are supposed to be about getting away from the real world of assholes and bitches. MMOS drop you head-first into assholebitch-land.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I must be in the minority. I was a huge ES nerd back in the Daggerfall/Morrowind era, but I don't think I once checked out previews/reviews/LPs of ESO. Isn't the whole concept of ES about fantasy and escapism? Kinda deflates that idea when you're zipping around trees, larping as a wood elf and in your ear you hear some kid's mom in Ohio screaming at him to finish his homework before he plays games.

I tried ESO in some free trial or something and found it extremely MMO, if you know what I mean. It didn't appeal to the part of me that likes derping around in Betehsda's open worlds at all. I know it's been successful overall, but I'm also sure it doesn't scratch the specific itch Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim do. As for why barely anyone else is trying, well... who knows. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ubisoft formula is just much cheaper to churn out and no one else wants to fuck with it.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
My guess of why it is taking so long is because they want the Photogrammetry tech to be fully mature before they make TES6.

Who knows, maybe they also want to make the whole of Tamriel in the next game. Games as big as Skyrim and Oblivion are not that uncommon these days and one of the selling points of TES is the size of the game world. It would be pretty epic to go from Skyrim to Cyrodiil and Morrowind.

Only thing I am wondering is why they never made a TES game for the current generation. Skyrim came out 5 years after Oblivion and that was almost 10 years ago. By the time TES VI comes out, Skyrim might be 12-14 years old.

They might also want to milk TESO for as long as possible and not have their own games competing with eachother.

Last edited:

Cat Dude

Savant
My guess of why it is taking so long is because they want the Photogrammetry tech to be fully mature before they make TES6.

Who knows, maybe they also want to make the whole of Tamriel in the next game. Games as big as Skyrim and Oblivion are not that uncommon these days and one of the selling points of TES is the size of the game world. It would be pretty epic to go from Skyrim to Cyrodiil and Morrowind.

Only thing I am wondering is why they never made a TES game for the current generation. Skyrim came out 5 years after Oblivion and that was almost 10 years ago. By the time TES VI comes out, Skyrim might be 12-14 years old.

They might also want to milk TESO for as long as possible and not have their own games competing with eachother.

I couldn't agree more that there is no TES for PS4/XB1. Skyrim was released for last gen consoles.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I am 100% sure the game will not be perfect and will find ways to piss me off but the only unforgivable thing they could do in my eyes is not have Jeremy Soule as the composer.

Nas92

Augur
I am 100% sure the game will not be perfect and will find ways to piss me off but the only unforgivable thing they could do in my eyes is not have Jeremy Soule as the composer.
Didn't he get metoo'd?
But anyhow, I agree. I listened to some of the ESO ost, which was (for the most part) not composed by Soule, and it's utter dogshit.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Didn't he get metoo'd?
But anyhow, I agree. I listened to some of the ESO ost, which was (for the most part) not composed by Soule, and it's utter dogshit.
He did, which is why I am worried. Worst case scenario they should get the guy who made the soundtrack for Bruma....or if they are lucky someone like Howard Shore. The guy from TESO will not cut it. Either way, Jeremy is a huge HUGE part of the franchise. I do not care if the allegations ARE true. I can separate the art from the artist. The music is just plain good and I listen to it while I work.

In fact, if the music is dogshit, I will not buy the game until he makes an unofficial soundtrack like Northerner Diaries but for TES6. He could make a crowdfund again for all I care.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Didn't he get metoo'd?
He did, which is why I am worried. Worst case scenario they should get the guy who made the soundtrack for Bruma....or if they are lucky someone like Howard Shore. The guy from TESO will not cut it.
they'll just hire Inon Zur and call it good.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
they'll just hire Inon Zur and call it good.
Yeah, that seems likely. I liked Zur's work in Icewind Dale II so maybe it won't be terrible, although much of his work in nuFallout is a cause for concern.

They already hired him for TES: Blades. Maybe it will be Inon Zur & Brad Derrick if their egos artistic visions allow it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Soule is so over rated. I'm currently playing Skyrim with a bunch of mods, it is amazing in a lot of ways, I might makea thread.

This is probably the main reason.

I could probably buy this more if Bethesda Game Studio didn't themselves release the online game Fallout 76. I'd think another online game would cut into the market more, even if they're themed differently, than a sinlge player Elder Scrolls would the Online game.

Anyways, doesn't Elder Scrolls Online play completely differently from BGS's Elder Scrolls games? I want to say the general feeling with ESO for the first few years was that the game sucked, (I heard better things about it later anyways) and BGS didn't give a shit about about it.

I think all it really is, is after the success of Skyrim (and Fallout Shelter, which I think ended up being their most profitable game) they figured they could just slow things down. Which seems like a pretty dumb fucking move when the result is you go a whole console generation of seven years without a sequel to your biggest game. Doubly dumb when they aren't also doing more stuff like Fallout: New Vegas with other developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom