Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The end of an Era - Duke Nukem Forever Went Gold!

Ermm

Erudite
Powerslave was considered bad? I thought it was pretty good shooter.

mwnn

Novice
Duke_Nukem_Forever-Razor1911

Up on usenet.

I doubt whether it'll beat the original - although I always thought Blood was the best of the old Build engine games.

Replaying that now with the BMOUSE fix for proper mouse aiming.

Angthoron

Arcane
mwnn said:
Duke_Nukem_Forever-Razor1911

Up on usenet.

I doubt whether it'll beat the original - although I always thought Blood was the best of the old Build engine games.

Replaying that now with the BMOUSE fix for proper mouse aiming.

I tried playing RoTT with mouse aim, somehow it didn't feel the same. Does mouse aiming work alright in Blood?

Tycn

Savant
You'd have to be godly to survive the game without mouse aim anyway.

Does the fix make the aiming feel like a 'true' 3D game? It wasn't unplayable for me but definitely felt different.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Jesus christ those FPS games were good back then. So many avenues, approaches, varied huge maps with multiple levels, secrets, easter egg hunting, puzzles...
Did you play Terra Nova perchance? because if you haven't, you will cum all over your screen when you do.

Even the 'shit' FPS games of those times like Witchhaven or Powerslave are a 100 times better as FPS games than almost everything out these days.
Hey, Witchaven was alright even back then. Fun melee combat with some light RPG elements thrown in made for a pretty decent game. It was an interesting counterpoint to Hexen too, as both games looked similar but played very different.

mwnn

Novice
Tycn said:
You'd have to be godly to survive the game without mouse aim anyway.

Does the fix make the aiming feel like a 'true' 3D game? It wasn't unplayable for me but definitely felt different.

Seems fine to me, no different to Duke3d - couldn't go back to aiming with the keyboard.

Took a few Duke pics from the start of the game. At the start you fight the boss from the 3rd episode of the original game - although he's somewhat easier than I remember.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
commie said:
Jesus christ those FPS games were good back then. So many avenues, approaches, varied huge maps with multiple levels, secrets, easter egg hunting, puzzles...
Did you play Terra Nova perchance? because if you haven't, you will cum all over your screen when you do.

Yep. I was one of the 12 people who bought it too. Still have my copy. :smug:

Even the 'shit' FPS games of those times like Witchhaven or Powerslave are a 100 times better as FPS games than almost everything out these days.
Hey, Witchaven was alright even back then. Fun melee combat with some light RPG elements thrown in made for a pretty decent game. It was an interesting counterpoint to Hexen too, as both games looked similar but played very different.

Oh I know it wasn't shit, but many reviewers of the time called this and many other good games 'shit' at because they were spoilt and demanding bastards who couldn't imagine developers just imitating Doom and not bringing anything new to the table. How times have changed eh? If something like the CoD conveyor belt was being released in 1993,94,95,96 by the same company, they'd have been fucking crucified back then!

As for this new Duke, well I'm up to the 4th level or so, the miniature car ride and it's not that bad a game given the standards of the time but it's not a patch on the old Duke that's for fucking sure. Linear as fuck, scripted shit, a few funny parts, no fucking compass at least but it all gets fucked up by that scourge of modern FPS, the 'press e to push, press c to crawl' crap. I don't understand how developers can still put this in as it makes games even more obviously railroaded when everything you can use, all the places you can go are highlighted. There was railroading in the past too of course but without visual cues you never quite got the feeling that you were forced so obviously down a certain route or that only a very few things were interactive. One of the joys of Duke3D was finding out for yourself what you could interact with, sometimes with fatal results and what you couldn't. Now everything is highlighted or otherwise so where's the fun?

Maybe it picks up later, but I'm guessing that in 3-4 hours I'll finish it and it will be just another 'timewaster for the afternoon' type of modern FPS.

At the moment though, the very first level of Duke3D had more gameplay time and puzzles and secrets than the first 4 levels here.

Rasputin said:
Powerslave was considered bad? I thought it was pretty good shooter.

Like I said to Sceptic, it was considered by reviewers as 'bad' like many games back then, judged far more harshly for their imitation and lack of innovation than games are now.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It sounds like these new FPS are spiritual successors of FMV shooters, not the normal FPS.

I think you are right. I get such a 'Who shot Johnny Rock' or 'Rebel Assault' vibe from them; a linear tube with minor movements to the side, shooting creeps which appear ahead. You get the 'reward' in the form of FMVscripted sequences or a cutscene after an area, then it all happens again until the end.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm about to finish it I think...

Anyway it's essentially Halo with dick jokes.
* Linear (actually even Halo was more open)
* 2 weapons at a time, with granades
* regenerative health (Halo had shields, but works essentially the same)
* Repetitive enemies
* "Turret"-sections

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not sure why you bought (pirated?) this. Are you a masochist? Do you enjoy inflicting pain upon yourself?

Ermm

Erudite
Jasede said:
I am not sure why you bought (pirated?) this. Are you a masochist? Do you enjoy inflicting pain upon yourself?

Because that is Duke Nukem Forever, and I am also gonna see what the hell they were doing all these years.

Pope Amole

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Yngipvz6M&feature=feedu

45 minutes of DNF gameplay. Looks so horribly shitty I won't even bother removing from inventory.

Seen it. All I can say is:

Ye olde and rusty balls of steel
Roll in great hands too tired to kill,
Producing bland and musty feel,
Annihilating all the thrill.

Once sturdy back can't bear the weight
Of triple guns; through luscious height
With jumppack you can't navigate,
So slog guts out in levels straight.

It's full next-gen yet out of date!
Ignoble jokes and tits will sate
But teens who fail to procreate,
While normal folk will boil from hate.

They'll scream it's blastier than a nuke,
But limp is dick and lame is Duke.
Dreamt of this game, but now I puke,
Another ploy of greedy crooks!

So show your babes and throw your shit,
My wallet will remain unhit!

P.S. Yeah, it's a shitty poetry, but it's a shitty game, y'know.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Was going to play this right away, but fuck it, GOG has Crusader: No Remorse and that wins over some console pos.

It's a sacrilege really that Duke can't carry more than two weapons.

mwnn

Novice
Turisas said:
Was going to play this right away, but fuck it, GOG has Crusader: No Remorse and that wins over some console pos.

The GoG version is up on Demonoid too

shrooms.jpg

(posting pirate links is no bueno - Jason)

Guess I should play this especially now that GoG have made it easy. The walkthrough posted here looked interesting. I assume they'll add the sequel soon too?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am disappointed in the direction the design of this game went.

Will play it anyway, of course.

It seems that proper FPS-es are an even more dead genre than classic RPGs. At least the latter stil gets some indie developers love.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It sounds like these new FPS are spiritual successors of FMV shooters, not the normal FPS.

R.I.P., FPS-es, we had some fun time together.

relootz

Scholar
so whats the verdict on this game?

Should i let it rape my teen memory?

It is bad or really bad?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tycn said:
You'd have to be godly to survive the game [Blood] without mouse aim anyway.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time I need an ego boost.

Mind you, that was back when the game was new. I doubt I could pull that off again today.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Yep. I was one of the 12 people who bought it too. Still have my copy. :smug:
:x you bastard.

If something like the CoD conveyor belt was being released in 1993,94,95,96 by the same company, they'd have been fucking crucified back then!
You know, I think this cements the definition of The Decline better than anything. Sad really.

As for this new Duke, well I'm up to the 4th level or so, the miniature car ride and it's not that bad a game
Downloaded the demo as soon as it was out but haven't really wanted to install it. All the remaining hope I still had for it kinda leeched out when I realized the thing's actually out. I know it won't be as good as I would've liked, and I have the distinct feeling it won't even be as good as I would accept it to be knowing it won't be as good as I'd like.

'Who shot Johnny Rock'
Someone else actually remembers this? :lol: :love:

1eyedking said:
Wait now, the original Duke Nukem was good?
Yes. Unless you're skyway or 1eyedking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom