Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The end of an Era - Duke Nukem Forever Went Gold!

Pablosdog

Prophet
I'll be writing a full review of this eventually. I'll post it up in a few days once i've beaten the game. Screenshots and everything. If the game isn't terrible or if it's REALLY terrible I might do a let's play.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sceptic said:
If something like the CoD conveyor belt was being released in 1993,94,95,96 by the same company, they'd have been fucking crucified back then!
You know, I think this cements the definition of The Decline better than anything. Sad really.
Wasn't t Half Life the first FPS of this type? This makes 1998 the year starting the decline.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Half-Life was a strange one; a mix of the old and the 'cinematic experience' rolled into one. Had games stopped there it wouldn't have been a problem, shit we still got Thief, SS2, NOLF, DX after this to name a few so it wasn't decisive at the time.

Angthoron

Arcane
HL had a well-scaling engine and it came out just about the time when lots of people were getting their new PCs with Win 98. It was either HL or Unreal, and Unreal scaled far worse, so obviously HL became the "entry-level" gateway into PC gaming for many an unwashed peasant.

It wouldn't be a problem, but as Commie said, the industry decided that trigger shooter would work better than AI shooters and so what we have these days is "cinematic experiences" with "cool shit". I actually kinda sorta like HL, but just because Valve pushed the modern shooters in that direction, a part of me will always feel averse to the damned thing.

Yeah, I would have preferred that FPS would go the Unreal way, okay, with a situational AI and shit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MicoSelva said:
Wasn't t Half Life the first FPS of this type? This makes 1998 the year starting the decline.
Yes, and as much as I dislike Half-Life, the thing about the first is that it's the first. HL started the trend, but by itself it wasn't a cenveyor belt, to use commie's expression. And Valve never released an uneding string of the same shit like Infinity Ward and Treyarch do. The decline only set once a one-time event became the norm and only clones were exclusively produced.

Thing is, we did have this in the mid-90's. There were countless Wolf/Doom clones around 93-95 that tried to be "like Doom but better!" The vast majority were slammed in reviews and deservedly so because they were pointless clones. Only the ones that actually improved in one way or the other were praised, such as Dark Forces or Duke 3D, while the others like Operation Bodycount and Isle of the Dead are almost completely forgotten now. Whereas nowadays the new clone automatically becomes GotY and sells zillions.

Lyric Suite said:
Why does Sceptic have something in his sig which i never said?
Because I lifted it as is when it was said and saved it for posterity and its time came in my rotation. Since search is borked and I want to allow for the possibility I made a mistake I'll leave it off for now until I can find it (depending on how long it takes google to update the search cache), with the understanding that if I do find it it will be reposted again for a much longer time and with a very unflattering addendum. Nobody can say I'm not fair.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Luzur said:
Tycn said:
You'd have to be godly to survive the game [Blood] without mouse aim anyway.

ive played both Duke Nukem 3D and Blood without mouse aim.

Only played? I've finished Duke 3D without mouse aim! ;) Looking back I wonder just how I managed to go through this, Dark Forces and all manner of shooters in the mid-90's without mouse aim. Seems impossible to me now....

As for HL, I still love that game, both for what it was, puzzles, shooter, the whole molding of the various parts into one great package, nice set piece firefights, cool weapons and enemies, AND for the whole modding thing where I probably downloaded 100's of hours worth of SP mods for it. Many were shit, but many were sublime. Some of the best value I've ever had with a shooter. Whatever else Valve became, I'll always have a soft spot for HL. Shit, even Gearbox did a good job with the expansion for it. They too did fuck all of note since.

Luzur

Good Sir
commie said:
Luzur said:
Tycn said:
You'd have to be godly to survive the game [Blood] without mouse aim anyway.

ive played both Duke Nukem 3D and Blood without mouse aim.

Only played? I've finished Duke 3D without mouse aim! ;) Looking back I wonder just how I managed to go through this, Dark Forces and all manner of shooters in the mid-90's without mouse aim. Seems impossible to me now....

dude, you didnt drop games you bought back then until you had finished them.

and yeah i FINISHED Dark Forces too, along with Maraton.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I used to play and keep playing auld shooters without mouselook. The idea of mouselook in them seems alien to me.

Exmit

Scholar
So bros i'm playing it and it feels like the game is connected by a rope of 3drealms game---------gearboxshit----------3drealms----------gearboxshit.

You can clearly tell which part was done by who, sadly there is more of the new CoD shit by derpbox.

Exmit

Scholar
Cheap jokes mostly which are GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD.

I don't like that they've made a superhero out of duke, he got even his underground base like batman....wtf. It's Duke not some superman :rpgcodex:.

So far the game is a 6/10 only thanks to cheap jokes and Duke voice.

ok make it 6+/10 thanks to intro music :smug:

xemous

Arcane
Exmit said:
So bros i'm playing it and it feels like the game is connected by a rope of 3drealms game---------gearboxshit----------3drealms----------gearboxshit.

You can clearly tell which part was done by who, sadly there is more of the new CoD shit by derpbox.

word on the street is all they did was polish and port, it's all 3Drealms like it or not.

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
Two weapons limit wasn't 3D Realms. All Gearbox.

Gearbox pretty much took some parts they found and made it into a game. Duke Nukem Forever was far from being finished when they took it from 3D Realms.

:M

Jack said:
racofer said:
So... is it worth torrenting acquiring?
No, it's too tainted by the consoles and feels very unpolished. It's not worth it.

Tainted by consoles blah blah.. Except most console games, yes even new ones, are a lot more fun than DNF. This is shitty on way more levels than consolisation or lack of polish. Play only if you
want to find out how exactly awful it is.

xemous

Arcane
Ladders & Snakes said:
Two weapons limit wasn't 3D Realms. All Gearbox.

Gearbox pretty much took some parts they found and made it into a game. Duke Nukem Forever was far from being finished when they took it from 3D Realms.

:M

where did u read that can u post a url

racofer

Thread Incliner
Multidirectional said:
Jack said:
racofer said:
So... is it worth torrenting acquiring?
No, it's too tainted by the consoles and feels very unpolished. It's not worth it.

Tainted by consoles blah blah.. Except most console games, yes even new ones, are a lot more fun than DNF. This is shitty on way more levels than consolisation or lack of polish. Play only if you
want to find out how exactly awful it is.

How would you rate it against DA2?

KalosKagathos

Learned
Exmit said:
ok make it 6+/10 thanks to intro music :smug:
Just listened to it on YouTube. The Manhattan Project version of Grabbag is still the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom