Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Entire History of RPG's

Kem0sabe

Arcane
An excellent video from one of the most interesting gaming channels on YouTube.

RPGs have come a long way... and people still can't even seem to agree on a definition.

0:00 - introduction
1:38 - origins and definitions
12:21 - but what was the first RPG?
28:53 - the golden 80's
49:25 - the JRPG
57:57 - the turbulent 90's
1:35:17 - the C stands for console now 00's
2:04:29 - 2010's A-side
2:20:48 - 2010's B-side
2:33:07 - RPGs today

/ neverknowsbestyoutube

Dungeons and Desktops - https://shorturl.at/szACM
Matt Chat - / @uce98xefvuxmbvqfe-wns8oa
CRPG Book - https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/
CRPG Addict - https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

sources and gameplay footage - https://pastebin.com/1CdvsNCx

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How's the gameplay, is it good? Is there c&c? :smug:

Waiting for a 'dexer opinion before I buy spend three hours of my life holy shi

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First chapter: Origins and Definitions

Shows Skyrim, Twitcher 3, nu-Fallout, Cyberpunk... yeah.

Then longest part is 90s, while 00s is 'c for consoles', though I haven't watched it so idk what's the content but the chapter title already discouraged me.

Read the "RPG Book" instead.

Falksi

Arcane
Watched around half of it so far at x1.75 and it's pretty good. Tbh, I'm just chuffed that it concentrates on CRPGs and WRPGs more than JRPGs, because that means I can't post it in all the faggot weeb groups on Facebook, and troll the fannies about how insignificant they are.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I thought that video was pretty fair and accurate for the most part - maybe apart from his gushing over BG3 at the end, but I suppose that's understandable since it's still relatively fresh and has undeniably "revitalized the genre" in one sense of that over-used phrase.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
half of that thumbnail is either bioware or bioware adjacent
Like it or not(I CERTAINLY DON'T LIKE IT) Bioware has important place in some "pivots" of this story. At one side they've resuscitated the genre in the late 1990's on the other they were one of the studios that managed to make cRPG's work on consoles, even though I hate most of these, and their shitty spawn(like Alpha Protocol).

You can argue that the storyfag angle of Ultima 4 onwards is proto bioware. Then there's Bioware games and Baldur's Gate 3, a game Bioware would've made in 2023 if they weren't a mess of a company. Only Skyrim stands as the "non Bioware" example.

However it is kinda surprising that Mass Effect is not in that thumbnail. That is the big Bioware franchise at least in the modern era.

Lucumo

Educated
Will watch it later. The question is whether it's missing as much as his "The Entire History of Video Games".

Beans00

Augur
I can't stand listening to british/english people unless they're narrating some nature or historical documentary. Especially guys like this who have 1-3 second pauses between every word. This guys videos(I have skimmed through 2-3 of them) are also 5x longer then they need to be because he speaks so slowly.

I don't understand why every uk youtuber is some dipshit posh sounding pussy. If this guy had a hardcore scouse or norfern english accent I could listen to him because at least it would be funny.

My problem with the guy is that the video he made about Emil Pagliarulo is just him arguign with redditors and other youtubers. Felt weird to watch.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I can't stand listening to british/english people unless they're narrating some nature or historical documentary. Especially guys like this who have 1-3 second pauses between every word. This guys videos(I have skimmed through 2-3 of them) are also 5x longer then they need to be because he speaks so slowly.

I don't understand why every uk youtuber is some dipshit posh sounding pussy. If this guy had a hardcore scouse or norfern english accent I could listen to him because at least it would be funny.
I agree.
I can respect NORF FC brits with the accent and all, but many brits think they are aristocrats or some shit...
Shit is highly annoying.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The same guy who compared his experience with Bethesda's games to his dating life... only to PatricianTV (hours long videos of Bethesda games analysis) dropping "you're cuck in this metaphor"... also NKB pulling that out of context becuase Patr gain more dosh for his videos.

Content cretinors...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fuck this, I ain't watching it.
It's a reasonably well produced video, but it doesn't contain much that the average Codexer doesn't already know. He talks about the rise and fall of Ultima, the dark age of the mid 90s and the revival with titles like Diablo and Baldur's Gate, the consolification of the 00s, the creative bankruptcy of the 10s and the Kickstarter titles, then gushes over BG3 for a while.

911 Jumper

Educated
I thought most people outside the UK like the sound of British liberals talking. Aren't shitty British shows such as The Great British Bake Off, Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, and Dr Who popular in countries such as the US and Slovenia?

Lucumo

Educated
Will watch it later. The question is whether it's missing as much as his "The Entire History of Video Games".
Well, I guess it's not so much RPG as it's WRPG, almost exclusively focused on the US with very few mentions of European stuff. He touched on JRPGs a bit in the beginning but it seems like that will be a separate video (which then might include South Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese etc RPGs?). Also, it's apparently according to the style, as Dark Souls got mentioned...but then again, what about all the other region's games (including Japan) which would fall under WRPG? Eh, seems messy. And speaking of Dark Souls, he even references King's Field but completely leaves out Demon's Souls (which was what got Dark Souls going in the first place). A criticial miss. No mention of Darklands or RTS-RPG hybrid Spellforce either.

It's a reasonably well produced video, but it doesn't contain much that the average Codexer doesn't already know.
Basically this. His "The Entire Histoy of..." videos are too surface-level for people who really know about gaming. He should stick to a more focused topic like that whole Final Fantasy series with the video being more than twice as long as this one.

ropetight

Savant
I thought most people outside the UK like the sound of British liberals talking. Aren't shitty British shows such as The Great British Bake Off, Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, and Dr Who popular in countries such as the US and Slovenia?
Less and less, since they changed from bastards that laugh at everything to the poster-boys of globo-homo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom