Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game Awards 2023 - December 7th

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Oh God, I just saw the sim/strategy category. Jesus christ. This was a bad year for us sim/strategy enjoyers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If I heard 10 years ago that BG3 was the frontrunner to win GOTY, made a shit ton of money and arguably pulled cRPGs into the mainstream, and that I didn't give a shit, I'd be very confused.

But here we are. Strange times.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"loud controversial opinions":

Transwomen are not real women

:hmmm:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/507023/say-birth-gender-dictate-sports-participation.aspx
Although Democrats are currently divided on the issue, they do rank among the groups most in favor of allowing transgender athletes to play on the team that corresponds to their current gender identity. Political liberals are the lone major subgroup showing majority (57%) support for allowing transgender athletes to choose which team to play on.

When you're in liberal-land, you play by liberal-rules.
Last time I checked, we're at codex.

You don't have to use that newspeak here, really.

Also: I'm liberal. Tranny-activists are mentally ill or misled. There's a difference.

vdoj0cjn7mc71.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The game awards continues to be a joke.
Category: Awarded for outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design.
Nominees: Generic/identical sequel, copied existing ttrpg/divos2 as close as possible, identical sequel, 2d mario, identical sequel

Truly a strong lineup of innovation. Very brave to not put fifa 2023 in there.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
"There have been SO many great games in 2023"

:nocountryforshitposters:

But there are, they just focus on AAA garbage on this shitshow as usual.

Hi-Fi Rush, RoboCop Rogue City, The Last Spell, Caves of Lore, Statsis Bone Totem, SpellForce: Conquest of Eo, Armored Core VI, Octopath Traveler 2, Terra Nil Lies of P, Sea of Stars, Jagged Allience 3, Remnant 2, Everspace 2, Age of Wonders 4, Aliens Dark Descent, Colony Ship and Talos Principle 2 (haven't played this one TBH, dunno if it is good as the first game.)
I probably forgot some but you got the idead, I hope. 2023 is a good year for gaming.

Edit: Hell, we even got a nice Underrail DLC!

Falksi

Arcane
"There have been SO many great games in 2023"

:nocountryforshitposters:

But there are, they just focus on AAA garbage on this shitshow as usual.

Hi-Fi Rush, RoboCop Rogue City, The Last Spell, Caves of Lore, Statsis Bone Totem, SpellForce: Conquest of Eo, Armored Core VI, Octopath Traveler 2, Terra Nil Lies of P, Sea of Stars, Jagged Allience 3, Remnant 2, Everspace 2, Age of Wonders 4, Aliens Dark Descent, Colony Ship and Talos Principle 2 (haven't played this one TBH, dunno if it is good as the first game.)
I probably forgot some but you got the idead, I hope. 2023 is a good year for gaming.
Meh. The ones I've played in there such as Caves Of Lore & Sea of Stars were more desperate reminders of actual good years than great games themselves. I mean, they're decent enough like and good games worth playing, but not top tier stuff. Overall I certainly wouldn't say there's many games released this year which I'm still gonna be returning to in 10-20 years time.

Now lets pick a random 90's year, not one which is held in high regard either like '98 or '91 either, just a standard 90's year. Let's go for 1992...

fnNdzqu.jpg

I mean 80% of those are to me must-own games which I replay often still in 2023. The GOTY nominations from that year for me would be...
  • Star Control 2
  • Link To The Past
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Sonic 2
  • Flashback
  • Lunar
  • Dune 2
  • Alisa Dragoon
  • Final Fantasy 5
  • Road Rash 2
  • Contra 3
  • Atomic Runner
....I genuinely couldn't narrow it down to 6.

In the grand scheme of things 2023 has been pretty mediocre. Maybe a dozen great games at then backed up by some 7/10 games which are worth a once-through, but usually not worth a replay.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Oh God, I just saw the sim/strategy category. Jesus christ. This was a bad year for us sim/strategy enjoyers.
The famine continues.
More surprisingly, Football Manager isn't nominated for either sim or sport. How come? The game is practically a genre of its own, and has dominated for 25 years. Does it usually get nominated?

Last year was great watching Paradox's lazy communism simulator get beaten by [don't even remember what beat it just that it was some console non-game].

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
If I heard 10 years ago that BG3 was the frontrunner to win GOTY, made a shit ton of money and arguably pulled cRPGs into the mainstream, and that I didn't give a shit, I'd be very confused.

Baldur's Gate was always a vehicle of pulling mainstream into the genre, particularly thanks to its friendly UI, and in the case of BG2, fucking underage girls

Alex

Arcane
Infinitron, I understand, really! I mean, we need something to make the Codex GotY thing look good in comparison. Or less awful, at least. But did you really need to scrape the bottom of the toilet like that?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Baldur's Gate was always a vehicle of pulling mainstream into the genre, particularly thanks to its friendly UI, and in the case of BG2, fucking underage girls
Tyranicon cares so little about the game he made a parody game and mentions how he doesn't give a shit about BG3 all the time. The hate-boner is strong in him. Apathy looks different

Falksi

Arcane
Honestly, I just want to see BG3 inflict extreme butthurt on the normie retards who want recycled shit like TOTK & Spiderman 2 to win.

Seeing a turn-based game come away with it will be joyous.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, I just want to see BG3 inflict extreme butthurt on the normie retards who want recycled shit like TOTK & Spiderman 2 to win.

Seeing a turn-based game come away with it will be joyous.
plenty super popular turn based shit around, like uno

kroki

Literate
reading this felt like running fingers across the piano

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom