Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game Awards 2023 - December 7th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only game awards to give shit about are RPGCodex ones.
Often literally.
quality_shit.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If I heard 10 years ago that BG3 was the frontrunner to win GOTY, made a shit ton of money and arguably pulled cRPGs into the mainstream, and that I didn't give a shit, I'd be very confused.

But here we are. Strange times.
Baldur's Gate was always a vehicle of pulling mainstream into the genre, particularly thanks to its friendly UI, and in the case of BG2, fucking underage girls
Tyranicon cares so little about the game he made a parody game and mentions how he doesn't give a shit about BG3 all the time. The hate-boner is strong in him. Apathy looks different

I wouldn't say I hate BG3.

My current (and very balanced stance) is that it's a well-made game. On a technical side it's an excellent representation of 5e with high production value. My complaints are entirely the juvenile writing, narrative, "themes," and whatever the hell Act 3 was supposed to be.

My parody game is going to thoroughly rake BG3 over the coals for this.

I should also add I finished the game twice.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Honestly, I just want to see BG3 inflict extreme butthurt on the normie retards who want recycled shit like TOTK & Spiderman 2 to win.

Seeing a turn-based game come away with it will be joyous.
Because BG3 isn't the normiest of normie games. Sure.

Ryzer

Arcane
Honestly, I just want to see BG3 inflict extreme butthurt on the normie retards who want recycled shit like TOTK & Spiderman 2 to win.

Seeing a turn-based game come away with it will be joyous.
Because BG3 isn't the normiest of normie games. Sure.
Unfortunately, turn-based combat will never get appreciated and mainstream while overdose on cut-scenes and cinematic effects will.
As always with Bioware and Bioware look alike, the worst aspects of their games become mainstream.

Shig

Novice
It's uplifting to see Geoff not contemplating suicide anymore after having to drag ass through torment and anguish to get his passion project off the ground.

1354598048112.gif

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They could create a 'Best Remake'-category, except virtually every game released this every year would qualify, and Nintendo would win it every time.

A little too much on the nose, perhaps?

ferratilis

Magister
I hope Swen wears that full suit of armor to the show, has to sit in it for three hours, and then doesn't win in the end. Three hours of sweating and discomfort for nothing. But we all know that won't happen, that lanky dork will win all the awards this year.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I hope Swen wears that full suit of armor to the show, has to sit in it for three hours, and then doesn't win in the end. Three hours of sweating and discomfort for nothing. But we all know that won't happen, that lanky dork will win all the awards this year.
He kinda deserves some awards. He took larian from smallish diablo knockoff indie developer to hueg indie bestest rpg developer, while seemingly staying true to his vision and making the games he wants to make. Not sure if BG3 is the actual dreamgame he was hinting about building towards all these years, but regardless the man has done well.

It has probably also killed the whole "turn based = boring" shtick for a while at least.

I still don't like BG3, but it is mostly less offensive to me than bioware ever was. There are many worse ways that power vacuum could have been filled.

ferratilis

Magister
He kinda deserves some awards. He took larian from smallish diablo knockoff indie developer to hueg indie bestest rpg developer, while seemingly staying true to his vision and making the games he wants to make. Not sure if BG3 is the actual dreamgame he was hinting about building towards all these years, but regardless the man has done well.

It has probably also killed the whole "turn based = boring" shtick for a while at least.

I still don't like BG3, but it is mostly less offensive to me than bioware ever was. There are many worse ways that power vacuum could have been filled.
He does deserve rewards, that's true, but I just can't bring myself to like Divinity games or BG3, they're too goofy, and BG3 went a step ahead in the cringe department. The systems are good (despite 5e being boring), the world seems nicely designed, there are many ways to solve quests etc. but I can't even bring myself to finish the game because of cringe companions and writing.

And I don't really agree with the Bioware statement. I never played DAI or ME Andromeda, but even the worst Bioware writing is still better than whatever Larian did in the last decade. I actually prefer DOS1 because the writing isn't front and center, they made a mistake hiring all those writers for DOS2, including that Gamespot guy.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Unfortunately, turn-based combat will never get appreciated and mainstream while overdose on cut-scenes and cinematic effects will.
As always with Bioware and Bioware look alike, the worst aspects of their games become mainstream.
Tell that to nuXcom. 3/4 of turn-based combat in games released since, use the retarded 2AP system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom