Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
That planned adaptation of Gotham By Gaslight looked promising. Would've enjoyed playing as a Victorian-era Batman.
Who wouldn't? Especially if you had the chance of solving the Jack the Ripper murders. Just goes to show that Batman is miles ahead of any other "comic" adaptation (mostly because he isn't an alien jesus or god or whatever).
No, it's just because there's been many good writers that have written good arcs or one-shots for Batman. Superman is fine when he's written well (All Star Superman, Red Sun).

Absalom

I dunno man. I don't know how you can write an immortal alien with limitless powers well.

Absalom

But still, I'll keep an eye on what you've brought up. Just in case it actually turns out decent (1to100shot)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I dunno man. I don't know how you can write an immortal alien with limitless powers well.
Most of the better ones I've read play on the expectations heaved upon him from such a title. Shit that focuses less on Superman saving a couple from a mugging and more Superman choosing to save a couple from a mugging and knowing he's chosen them over the kid who stepped into open traffic hundreds of miles away, the man who just suffered a heart attack a couple of blocks down, the guy who slipped on the rocks at the beach and has now permanently paralysed himself from the neck-down and that grocery clerk who's now been fatally shot by some scared kid who needed money, not to mention the cruise-liner which has just capsized at sea thousands of miles away, the thousands of people who're getting killed in ethnic cleansings half-way around the world, the one kid who just lost his balloon. Basically, what if you could hear the suffering of everybody in the world, all of the time, and knew that even with all the strength and power you had, you can't save them all. The problem is that basically all anyone writes these days is some variation of "Superman fights super strong alien/robot/kryptonite monster and wins".

All-Star Superman does basically the opposite of this, though, and is still excellent. It's basically Superman fulfilling his final 12 great acts, barely any of which involve actually fighting anything and most nearly get him killed, all the while stopping to help ordinary people whenever he can. It's an extremely well-done celebration of the Superman mythos and Superman as a character.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
All-Star Superman did have a bit on that subject as well, but there the point was more like that Superman DOES have time for *almost* everyone (which is why there's a real heartwrenching moment when he loses the three most precious minutes of his life and comes face to face with the fact even he can't save everyone). Generally I'd say what makes the character of Superman so good is not what he does, but how he deals with people. A good way to explain the difference between Batman and Superman on a conceptual level would be that unlike Batman, Superman doesn't hospitalize muggers, he asks the muggers why are they doing this first.

Another example of the great understanding of the character shown in All-Star was how Frank Quitely really nailed how Clark Kent would look like, how he'd act like, and most importantly the fact that even then Superman is watching out for everyone around him (and how this is mostly kept as a non-chalant detail; such as the time when we see Clark "accidentally" bump into a person, which delays that person long enough for a falling debris to miss them).

Vibalist

Arcane
That was a very soulless trailer. Also no catwoman ass.

I'd love it if they kept Catwoman out of this. Not because she's a bad character, but the she was fucking obnoxious in Arkham City. The only character they managed to fuck up completely in that game, I reckon.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Man, I'm sure glad I won't be playing it on the consoles. Look at that shitty frame rate.

Turns out Lady Shiva is one of the final assassins afterall. Be interesting to see how they justify her not tearing off Batman's head.

...oh, and Killer Croc too. But who cares?

Eyeball

Arcane
Looks exactly like more of the same from Asylum and City.

I love it. Fuck you highbrows, this is a D1P that I shall enjoy immensely.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/

7/10

Batman Arkham Origins certainly isn’t a bad game, but it epitomises everything that is currently wrong with the videogames industry, and this makes me mad at it. It’s a generic wish wash of ideas that regurgitates the success that came before it, with a bland story, uninspired levels, and familiar gameplay. It’s more of the same, and if that’s good enough for you then go ahead, buy it and enjoy it. But be warned, the creativity and originality that made the last two games so great is no longer here. Lightning doesn’t strike three times.

Well no shit.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
BTW what is Rocksteady making these days?
Another Batman game or something completely different?

DeepOcean

Arcane
http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/

7/10

Batman Arkham Origins certainly isn’t a bad game, but it epitomises everything that is currently wrong with the videogames industry, and this makes me mad at it. It’s a generic wish wash of ideas that regurgitates the success that came before it, with a bland story, uninspired levels, and familiar gameplay. It’s more of the same, and if that’s good enough for you then go ahead, buy it and enjoy it. But be warned, the creativity and originality that made the last two games so great is no longer here. Lightning doesn’t strike three times.

Well no shit.
So, he only discover that the Batman games are shallow and repetitive games, now?

Dexter

Arcane
The first two Batman games were pretty great, especially the first one since it did a whole lot of firsts including probably best superhero game, best personification of Batman in a game, had some great voice-acting and a fresh and well-made melee combat system and a rather great atmosphere and pacing that never made it get dull.
Also great work with the modeling/animation/level design. And all of that from a rather unknown studio and without any expectations for greatness (and it was definitely a breath of fresh air after relative disappointments like Mass Effect, GTA IV, Bioshock or Fallout 3 at that time).
Only a few of the boss fights were largely disappointing. Henchmen variety, the difficulty and AI could've been improved (for instance I remember how enemies apparently didn't notice their colleagues being taken out a few steps away: http://i.imgur.com/fdWhVym.jpg ) and I didn't really get why the main plot was wrapped around the whole "Titan" thing, it seemed kind of stupid and a missed opportunity to tell somewhat more of a psychological thriller tale around Joker similar to the one with Scarecrow but using a different angle.

The second game was largely more of the same and somewhat less focused than the first but still good and fun. They improved on some stuff, but made other stuff worse.

I'm gonna wait and see with this one and probably get it when it's somewhat cheaper.

I agree though that it would be great if they could add some more detective-ing and sneaking around the city (like in Batman: TAS) as fresh gameplay elements and maybe solving some more "banal" problems between shit going down to change the pacing up a bit (playing as Bruce Wayne for a few sections at Wayne Enterprises or some events might not be too bad either). It made sense to mostly be fighting in Arkham Asylum, since it was full of insane lunatics trying to kill everyone. It made somewhat sense in Arkham City under the context of the story they had written although it was pushing it, but if even Gotham City in its entirety is overrun by random mooks who you've constantly got to fight and not much else they're kind of jumping the shark a bit like that last Batman movie.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Titan was just an excuse for you to whale on heavy-hitting damage sponges.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yah, it was developed Thief 2-style with writing brought in after gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom