Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

Drakron

Arcane
I tought the final boss from Arkham city was the mud dude. Plot tweest. Hugo Strange was one of the main villains too. But yeah, they do overuse the Joker.

Yes but thats not the point, Arkham City story is highjacked by the Joker with that whole thing that was rather adding something to a existing story and overshadow it because after Ra's al Ghul that supposed to be the main enemy it just goes to the Joker.

Besides the last boss fight of Arkham Origins is Bane, unless you want to count QTEs.

Funny thing is that they already used those villains, albeit not as main villains. If you think about it, all villains that were featured in movies are present.

Yes, they have "use them" but when all 3 games end up being with the Joker as staring lead you might as well call then "Batman, Joker <something>" because that is what they became, if they cut out the Joker plot from City the story would have still worked instead it became, again, about the Joker that is also what Origins end up doing so instead of having all the other villeins doing something, we get, again, the Joker and this is old.

That brings me to why I said its not even a prequel to Arkham Asylum with how the Joker planned and set up the whole situation, that would have worked when at the end we would see him getting into the Batmobile and knowing that was a setup but no, its just a "Joker Christmas Eve Story" because the biggest issue with this game is lacking ambition to do its own thing and when it does, it does it with a whimper.

Lets see what the next game will bring but likely is Batman being emo about the Joker's death and in the end SURPRISE! its the Joker again.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just finished Arkham City, and I agree there's too much Joker in it. Was enough of him in Asylum. It was kinda silly tho, almost dead villian with 0 power still dominated the whole game. There were much more stronger villians available, and having it revolve around Penguin for example would be more interesting. All we got was a fast Museum section with Solomon Grundy boss fight and it was much better then ending fight, imo.
City got to be the game with longest credits, shit went on for like 20 minutes.

I watched a stream of some guy playing Origins yesterday and it looks and plays like 2 previous games. Dude went against Deathstroke and lost like 5 times in a row and then I turned it off. Couldnt beat a QTE bossfight. It was the PS3 version of it and damn it looked ugly.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I put a few hours into Arkham origins and can say that it feels much better then Arkham city for me. But the game has bugs. The type of bugs that lock you in a room with no way out. So expect a patch very soon I should imagine.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I put a few hours into Arkham origins and can say that it feels much better then Arkham city for me. But the game has bugs. The type of bugs that lock you in a room with no way out. So expect a patch very soon I should imagine.

Well, they got the spirit from first game back then! I remember pulling myself either into abyss or void...

Dr Tomo

Learned
I watched a stream of some guy playing Origins yesterday and it looks and plays like 2 previous games. Dude went against Deathstroke and lost like 5 times in a row and then I turned it off. Couldnt beat a QTE bossfight. It was the PS3 version of it and damn it looked ugly.

See my point is validated that this is not a game for casuals because the QTE's are very "challenging". Also what is wrong with having too much joker in this franchise?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Well, they got the spirit from first game back then! I remember pulling myself either into abyss or void...
You sure it wasn't piracy measures?

Vibalist

Arcane
Also what is wrong with having too much joker in this franchise?

The same thing that's wrong with having too much of anything in any franchise. At some point I imagine the Joker stops being an interesting villain and starts being a crutch developers void of creativity can lean on.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What's Rocksteady working on? Why took the franchise away from them

Next-gen Batman, surely.
With batman AC they put themselves into a corner. They only have two options in next gen, return to the linear ways of Asylum that is going to disapoint alot of people or go full GTA batman because based on the reactions to this game, just a small section of the city won't cut it. With WB outsourcing Batman arkham origins it appears that Rocksteady had gone the GTA route. A GTA batman wouldn't be so bad, especially because the most fun I had with AC was flying around.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
With batman AC they put themselves into a corner. They only have two options in next gen, return to the linear ways of Asylum that is going to disapoint alot of people or go full GTA batman because based on the reactions to this game, just a small section of the city won't cut it. With WB outsourcing Batman arkham origins it appears that Rocksteady had gone the GTA route. A GTA batman wouldn't be so bad, especially because the most fun I had with AC was flying around.

Yeah, every review of this one seems to say "I can't explore the entire city wah" which, as reviewers like to do, ignores the genre and differences, but whatever. I would guess WB know the way to go for another 10/10 GOTY press orgasm is a fully open Gotham.

Drakron

Arcane
A GTA batman wouldn't be so bad, especially because the most fun I had with AC was flying around.

Its a interesting idea but lthey really should drop the whole "storyline" and just go "we have these guys that are planning to do this" as they arent connected to some big master plan, each main villain doing his own thing, also if they do that they should make more use of the Batcave since in AA and AC, that was "understanable" if you are leaving Batman to explore Gotham then you might as well clear the UI and just put things on the Batcave.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
GOT IT!
Much cheaper than I thought. Its 50 euros on steam and GMG has it for 30 british pounds and they have 25% off voucher so it brings it to 22,50 quid. I had like 3 euros on GMG balance and put em in and bought the game for 19.50. About 200 sek or 22-23 euros.
Installing now, 16 GB download, gonna take a while like an hour or so.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A GTA batman wouldn't be so bad, especially because the most fun I had with AC was flying around.

Its a interesting idea but lthey really should drop the whole "storyline" and just go "we have these guys that are planning to do this" as they arent connected to some big master plan, each main villain doing his own thing, also if they do that they should make more use of the Batcave since in AA and AC, that was "understanable" if you are leaving Batman to explore Gotham then you might as well clear the UI and just put things on the Batcave.
There were Arkham City blueprints in Arkham Asylum and a whole lot of Scarecrow-threatening-all-of-Gotham set-up in Arkham City.

Machocruz

Arcane
Do people really think that the city in AC was a better environment than the asylum? The asylum was like a character itself, and it was open enough, while Gotham was one of the least interesting city environments I've seen in an a game. I'll take tight, focused design over moar! every time, although I wouldn't mind some vehicular action, like in the Nolan films. But the unwashed masses are size queens, so open world is the future of this series.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Do people really think that the city in AC was a better environment than the asylum? The asylum was like a character itself, and it was open enough, while Gotham was one of the least interesting city environments I've seen in an a game. I'll take tight, focused design over moar! every time, although I wouldn't mind some vehicular action, like in the Nolan films.
That was a precedent that they set themselves, with the semi open world of AC people are just expecting for MOAR and MOAR, that is how open world games roll. I prefered that they made a more focused game as well, Batman Arkham Asylum 2.0 mainly adding just a little more complexity in the combat and stealth systems or adding optional rooms into the main campaign with more creative combat encounters and stealth scenarios, just something to solve the repetitive nature of the combat and stealth sections. Arkham city and asylum took ages to really start using different enemies types and most fights were just let's beat 4 or 5 basic thugs with maybe one special type guy over and over again. On AC, there were improvements like enemies with night vision and you could use smoke bombs on an attempt of making the stealth secions little more engaging and less dependent of let's camp the gargoyle. Those problems aren't going to be solved on an open world game but probably made worse. While the idea of using the jet, car, and the cape and the mobility those could bring on an open game could be awesome but I still think that the Batman series could get some more work on it's basic systems.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Do people really think that the city in AC was a better environment than the asylum? The asylum was like a character itself, and it was open enough, while Gotham was one of the least interesting city environments I've seen in an a game. I'll take tight, focused design over moar! every time, although I wouldn't mind some vehicular action, like in the Nolan films. But the unwashed masses are size queens, so open world is the future of this series.
IMO, AC had more villians, better boss fights, smarter enemies and enhanced combat system with a shitton of filler content.Hunting those trophys would take like 20 hours if not more.Side missions werent bad. Its like Asylum+ version. I like original AA better tho.
AC is like a Batman sandbox mode.

Dowload finished. Let the QTE battles commence!

Cromwell

Arcane
Has any of you who plays AO find a way to disable this horrible graphic effect while grapplig? I deactivated motion blur to be treated to this shit?

Fuck this shit. What good is a City if there is no one in it? A god forsaken Wasteland version of Gotham because it snows.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom