Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

deuxhero

Arcane
The real problem with the artstyle emerges when looking at the screenshots on the Steam page:
ss_0672746214d3aaab22e8edfae585db919b32d6f9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3847af7730e1e2deca2295e867a58867d8751527.1920x1080.jpg

The point of having such exaggerated/stylized characters is so they are identifiable at a glance, regardless of lighting or angle, which is good for gameplay and free camera movement. This fails at that basic part as multiple characters are concealed by long coats or fall into the same "buff" frame. It would be one thing if the cast were dozens, but we've seen only a single digit number and they still blend together.

Cross

Arcane
The real problem with the artstyle emerges when looking at the screenshots on the Steam page:

The point of having such exaggerated/stylized characters is so they are identifiable at a glance, regardless of lighting or angle, which is good for gameplay and free camera movement. This fails at that basic part as multiple characters are concealed by long coats or fall into the same "buff" frame. It would be one thing if the cast were dozens, but we've seen only a single digit number and they still blend together.

You're assuming their goal was deliberate stylization to serve a gameplay purpose. That particular style of character design - let's call it the Fortnite style - has become a sort of default style for character design used by many games, regardless of whether it fits with the game in question or not.

Speaking of hideous things, that consolized interface looks atrocious.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
ss_0672746214d3aaab22e8edfae585db919b32d6f9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3847af7730e1e2deca2295e867a58867d8751527.1920x1080.jpg

Now that you mention it, I find the characters pretty easy to distinguish in this artstyle - one is skinny with white jacket, the other is a blondie in blue, another is a buff in brown, etc. So I guess it actually succeeded for me in the goal you explain.

My problem is that I dislike those portraits, as they seem to lack personality.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, I would rather if they take the subject more seriously but this kinda of lighthearted romp is OK. I enjoyed Renowned Explorer (great game btw) and if this can be as fun as that then I am game.

You're assuming their goal was deliberate stylization to serve a gameplay purpose. That particular style of character design - let's call it the Fortnite style - has become a sort of default style for character design used by many games, regardless of whether it fits with the game in question or not.

Speaking of hideous things, that consolized interface looks atrocious.
its a globohomo art style

ropetight

Savant
That art style, just why? Why does every new game have that bland, featureless art style that looks like it's deliberately avoiding any sense of originality? Is there a manual for developers somewhere out there that prohibits them from designing good looking games, or is it that all young designers lack the know-how? I'm really curious.

It can't be THAT hard to design something like this (even if 3d).
4f6df7ad6b60d4776f4140c31d001e968c4c16954b9c785b486a1ff4e58cc16d.jpg
I guess it is easier and cheaper?
Or maybe it just product of generation that grew up on WoW and CalArt cartoons.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The overall idea I like a lot, the game looks absolutely horrible.

Seems like a higher budget Pathway, pretty much.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know, to me this looks like it might be fun. Kind of reminds me of Wasteland 3 combat which was good enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nothing screams 1930s pulp adventure like troons
Well there is precedent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_and_the_Pirates#Characters_and_story
Caniff included a number of non-American female antagonists, all of whom referred to themselves in the third person. These included the Dragon Lady and crooks and spies like Sanjak and Rouge. In a rather bold move for a 1940s comic strip, Sanjak was hinted at being a lesbian cross-dresser with designs on Terry's girlfriend April Kane. Caniff purportedly named the character after an island next to the isle of Lesbos.
r4wjof08x2d51.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol, the diversity of the crew has reached new limits. Looks like you get a tranny in there even.
Since Infinitron "citation needed" me.

XJkDr1U.jpg

I honestly can't tell. Looks like a bearded female, but I guess it could be a male, considering the body. But then you have the hair, it looks like it has the hair in a bun in a typical Asian style. You decide.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Their stylization for the characters would be that much more palatable if they just made the eyes smaller.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lol, the diversity of the crew has reached new limits. Looks like you get a tranny in there even.
Since Infinitron "citation needed" me.

XJkDr1U.jpg

I honestly can't tell. Looks like a bearded female, but I guess it could be a male, considering the body. But then you have the hair, it looks like it has the hair in a bun in a typical Asian style. You decide.
Probably based on modern south Korean males that look more like females.

Zanthia

Novice
That character is obviously a man, I can't believe it's even being discussed.

The setting looks fun but I'd like to see more than 2 seconds of gameplay at a time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom