Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

Dexter

Arcane
Right. Still, ultimately a foolish gesture. Sony doesn't care, they already have his money.
Itz being shared across Twatter, YouTube, Leddit and various other Social media and being seen by hundreds of thousands of prospective customers that will connect said gesture with their game sucking dick. That Twat alone has like 17k likes. Every capable PR person would likely rather deal with a hundred or maybe even a thousand people refunding their game silently than having something like that go viral across the Internet on the eve of their new product release 7 years in the making.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Don't you end up playing most of the game as the tranny?Now that I think of it it's quite symbolic a character that looks like the head of the studio fucks the main character(you) in the ass,that's deep

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
jc9qe5hog0651.jpg

:lol:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read the ending out of curiosity

After the whole shit storm went down, the protagonist moved away with their family and having a nice, quiet life, but the protagonist still for the most part can't get over the death of their saviour. An old ally approaches and notifies them about the old archnnemesis' whereabouts, so despite their significant other's warn, they still decided to get revenge.

Isn't this pretty much the build up to Red Dead Redemption 2's epilogue which also told a story about cycle of vengeance but, you know, had way more heart and respect towards its characters? And the biggest difference is it didn't suddenly stop that theme right at the end???

Did the writers of this game smoke cocaine mixed with estrogen while writing this game??? :retarded:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In general tho I increasingly believe games will never be able to hold a candle to movies and books narrative-wise, precisely because they are interactive.
Games have enormous potential for storytelling precisely because of their interactivity, but none of it's going to be realized as long as game writers pretend to be movie directors and treat gameplay and story as separate things. Freedom of choice is a strength, a unique feature that no other medium can offer except in very limited ways (like CYOA books), yet it's treated as some sort of a hindrance that needs to be suppressed at every turn, just so that the story can play out the exact way it was intended to. Can't let the player screw up the big story moments by doing something that isn't in the script.

As long as your primary way of telling your story is through non-interactive cutscenes, you're not making proper use of your medium.

It's instructive that the game designers that consider themselves as 'auteurs' like this guy, Cage and Roberts are all quite mediocre at the actual art of story telling. Roberts proved it when actually directing a real movie. Cage in every game makes the cardinal sin of introducing new plot elements out of nowhere 2/3 or later into the story(I graduated as a film media student and in scriptwriting 101 we were taught that you NEVER introduce new elements so late in a story as it breaks the credibility of the narrative and negates everything that came before).

I don't dispute that maybe these guys have had genuine and sincere motivations for what they are doing, but the execution is so laughably bad and coupled with hubris and arrogance that suggests they believe their way is the only way, means that they(as Cage has shown), will never learn, will never have a humility to admit they need the help of quality writers etc. in order to make their stories work and be coherent and impactful without AFFECTING GAMEPLAY AND PLAYER INPUT. Instead we get low level fanfic style of writing that's gushed over by the presstitutes as the second coming of Joyce. Fuck off.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Kojima made arguably the first iteration of this bullshit with his Raiden bait and switch with MGS2.
Still pissed about that and it its been almost two decades.
One thing that Kojimbo did right is that he didn't shit on established, beloved characters with his bait & switch. At the end of MGS2, snake was still as cool as ever. None of this "let's disrespect Luke/Joel because teehee" bullshit. I guess that's the difference when Japs are in charge instead of jews.

Cromwell

Arcane
I don't dispute that maybe these guys have had genuine and sincere motivations for what they are doing, but the execution is so laughably bad and coupled with hubris and arrogance that suggests they believe their way is the only way, means that they(as Cage has shown), will never learn, will never have a humility to admit they need the help of quality writers etc. in order to make their stories work and be coherent and impactful without AFFECTING GAMEPLAY AND PLAYER INPUT. Instead we get low level fanfic style of writing that's gushed over by the presstitutes as the second coming of Joyce. Fuck off.

The biggest mistake they make is writing about something they not only dont understand but think they know everything about, in this case humans and their behaviour. You cant write a story about people, no matter the genre, if you have a sense of people and reality as warped as the lefties that shat out this garbage. So even if they adhered to the basics of storytelling and the story skeleton was right they would still fail at it because the actual characters, motivations etc would be all wrong in various ways.

Deleted member 7219

AngryJoeShow did a 9 hour Twitch stream on The Last of Us 2 yesterday. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/655729227 (the first 45 minutes is random shit).

I'm close to the 2 hour mark and it seems my worst fears from the leaks are true.

Looking at the reactions from streamers and people who have already completed the game, it looks like this might be the biggest disconnect between critics and consumers there's ever been. Critics think it is the defining game of the current console generation. Everyone else thinks it is disappointing at best, and a complete The Last Jedi-esque "fuck you" to the audience at worst.

Something's got to break because of this.

Terenty

Liturgist
AngryJoeShow did a 9 hour Twitch stream on The Last of Us 2 yesterday. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/655729227 (the first 45 minutes is random shit).

I'm close to the 2 hour mark and it seems my worst fears from the leaks are true.

Looking at the reactions from streamers and people who have already completed the game, it looks like this might be the biggest disconnect between critics and consumers there's ever been. Critics think it is the defining game of the current console generation. Everyone else thinks it is disappointing at best, and a complete The Last Jedi-esque "fuck you" to the audience at worst.

Unlikely, but maybe games journos will be seen as a laughing stock they are even by casual gamers from now on

Deleted member 7219

Unlikely, but maybe games journos will be seen as a laughing stock they are even by casual gamers from now on

They are dependent on ad clicks and they've been losing their core audience for years.

To counter, they decided to court the social justice audience (always a weak one in gaming, so it was always doomed for failure anyway just in terms of mathematics).

But now, if the social justice audience hate the game too, who will read and agree with their bullshit?

Sodafish

Arcane
So if that short clip is any indication, this game is 90% cutscene with the odd QTE thrown in?

Fuck me, the state of modern gayming hell.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Sorry but that happened before (ghostusters, ME Andromeda, DA:I,BF 5). All they are going to do is call everyone who didnt like the game toxic haters, racist and virgins living in their moms basement. So dont get your hopes up.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just reposting this from 18 days ago:

Having watched the previews, I expect ND to fail at communicating their message about "the cycle of violence".

In my opinion passing such a message through creative work requires that you put the viewer in a more distanced position, which would help him derive his conclusions by passing moral judgement on the actions of characters.

This is fundamentally at odds with ND's medium - a videogame, where by their own description, "our job is to put the player in Ellie's shoes".

If you create a story where the audience is also the main protagonist, it's too far-fetched to expect to pass a moral of the story to that audience, while at the same time you are doing everything in your power to affect them emotionally as actors.

Specifically, if you as a game designer encourage the player to preform violent and cruel actions, it's very questionable to use that game as a vehicle for pushing the moral of "violence breeds violence".

It's like if I show my child how to break glasses and encourage him, so that I can then tell him "see, breaking things on the floor is bad". But he never had the notion of breaking glasses in the first place.

This kind of author intent set up for this kind of entertainment product - I wouldn't call it "work [of art]" - stinks of an attitude of condescention towards your audience. Which is perfectly in line with what we know about Druckman and co. of course. Basically it's "I'll let you do ugly things and then wave my finger at you about how doing ugly things is bad for everyone".

I think if that's really ND's intent, then TLOU2 must be the most expensive lesson ever in "That's not how human behavior is driven".

For me it's obvious from miles away that this approach will not achieve its stated purpose. What ND claim they expect will hapen is that players will become so affected with the pain they can inflict in the game that it will drive them towards a play style where they will try to inflict less pain. This is pretty typical expectation to have for someone who has no experience playing videogames.

For me it's laughable for someone to seriously expect that allowing others to commit brutal violence in a simulated environment, however well it is simulated, without real danger and real consequence, beyond graphical/audial stimuli, will somehow induce a less violent behavior. It's pure pretentiousness - if you want to discourage violent behavior in the game - make it a real stealth game, where combat is hardly a viable strategy, like in Thief.

What actually will happen is what we have already seen and can also hear for ourselves in those previews, right from the journos themselves - players will share with chuckles how they really felt bad for killing NPCs with names and little stories, and especially about killing doggies. That's it, that's the upper limit of emotional impact all those efforts to present violence in a naturalistic manner managed to achieve! A little story shared with a chuckle between two soyboys.

What will happen further, after these little stories of, oh, I felt bad for the doggie there, get old, players will get completely desensitized to stabbing, burning, cutting and crushing people and letting them bleed to death.

Whether ND are feigning ignorance now and setting themselves up for taking a moral high ground, while hoping to brew up "drama" in the future, is something we can suspect. Whichever way the game's reception goes, they are bound to reap some benefits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom