Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
If the delay was like 1-1.5 years I would probably wait but now it seems like its around 3 years more compared to jp releases.

Also Hajimari translation was actually quite good some awkward translations there and there but decent enough.

Seems like quests + items are now translated so I give it another try now. If some1 is interested here are stuff that are translated now:

27th July - Initial Release (I guess this is the pre-alpha or whatever cos this patch is FAR from done lol)
-All spreadsheet text inserted into script.
-Several table files complete.
-Most textures translated.

28th July
-Updated Hollow Core table
>Redone in KuroTools
-Updated Shard Skill table
>Redone in KuroTools
-Updated m0100 script file (Underground Ruins)
>Fixed some typos
-Added English launcher config translation
-Updated c0000 script file (Old Town)
>Added missing translation for a scene in chapter 1
>Removed some random Japanese I accidentally left in chapter 1
-Updated t5000 script file (Oración Southern District)
>Added remaining spreadsheet NPCs
>Fixed some typos
-Updated m1200 (Creil Outskirts)
>Fixed some stuff
-Updated e0100, m0100, m1100, m7510, and m7600 script files
>Fixed some stuff
-Updated Achievement table
>Fixed typos

29th July
-Added remaining menu textures (tutorial pop-ups still not done yet)
-Added system icons with the custom logo made by @Aridoyu (without permission, haha...)
-Added text table back in (it's fixed now)
-Updated the name table
>Changed Sarah to Saara
>Changed Ashrad to Askeladd
-Added dinput8.dll
-Fixes the bad font spacing
-Updated help table
-Fixed some typos
-Updated font
>Fixed alignment for Asian characters
>Added 2 missing characters for a weird ass name that is used literally once
-Added quest table [it's fixed now]
-Replaced dinput8.dll with XAudio2_9.dll.
>Does the same thing, just doesn't interfere with controllers anymore
-Included the original game exe and launcher in the ENG PATCH folder so people stop asking me why the font isn't working

30th July
-Updated t0000
>Fixed linebreaks
-Updated t1200
>Added missing line
-Updated skill table
>Shortened some descriptions to improve readability
-Updated text table
>Fixed a typo
-Updated m1100 script file
>Fixed a translation for a chapter 1 side quest
-Added tips table
>Loading screen tips have been translated (though the game often loads too fast to see them)
-Updated c0400
>Fixed Zin being misnamed as 'Jiji' in one scene
-Updated font
>Added missing heart character
-Updated text table
>Fixed some wording and text overlap
-Added item table
>Very unfinished. This one's just temporary for the time being

31st July
-Added status table
-Updated text table
>Fixed some typos
-Updated sys_event script
>Fixed a typo
-Added chapter_save table
-Added connect table (still unfinished)
-Added gourmet table
-Added notemenu table (Hex-edited)
>Temporary until we get a KuroTools schema for this file. Some names are cut short to fit
-Updated hollow core table
>Changed some wording, nothing big
-Updated skill table
>Changed Silver Thorn to Argent Thorn to match the item table
-Updated item table
>Translated a ton of stuff
-Updated name table
>Fixed a few incorrect names
-Updated quest table
-Fully completed, with all quest names, descriptions and navigation

1st August
-Added shop table
>Thanks mystery anon who decided to translate this for us lol
-Updated t1000 script
-Update t1200 script
-Various typos and missing text fixed

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chapter 4 in CS1 beaten. The game clock is at 44h.

Things are getting more interesting, but also lol at all the Alfin and Elise scenes.

What I have learned: Always have Elliot for resounding beat, and always try to inflict burning status. I inflicted it on the boss of chapter 4, and the effect almost equals the damage output of what some S-crafts do.

I still haven't maxed any master quarts. I will keep the basic ones, until every character have mastered the one MQ they came equipped with at the start of the game. I have a decent idea for MQ for the melee fighters, but not so much for the ranged characters. I'll come up with something, eventually.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Meh, Elliot is a bit beginner friendly character, because resounding beat will probably be enough heal for most ot the game, and because he later came with a large cure+heal craft, so you don't have to really plan. But there is a lot more degenerate thing to do with other toon.
Also the real divide is not between ranged and melee, but between craft and art user, craft user tend to be physical and art obviously magical. It's mostly true in CS1, because the magic craft tend to suck.

Sarathiour

Cipher
it is, but unless you play with mod, trash rarely are a problem, and most boss are basically immune to this shit, as it last only one turn anyway.

Elliot can become an absolute powerhouse unit from CS2 onward once he obtains the Nocturne Bell craft. Equip the Criminal or the Scorpio master quartz and stack nightmare. Watch as your enemies fall asleep and don't wake up as you tear into them. Since Nocturne Bell is a magical craft, it deals more damage with higher ATS, so stack your ATS. With your enemies asleep, you won't need to focus on healing (Elliot's Holy Song and S-craft should suffice), so feel free to equip another damage dealing quartz, like Gloom, as your sub.

P1rgYaa.png

Behold his power!

Endemic

Arcane
If the delay was like 1-1.5 years I would probably wait but now it seems like its around 3 years more compared to jp releases.

Trails in the Sky FC took over 5 years to get a localization (for PSP), Cold Steel 1 was over 2 years for PS3 and almost 3 for a PC version.

XSEED skipped over the Crossbell duology in favour of Cold Steel; the current delay is pretty much entirely down to NISA picking up that task. CS3 was out in ~2 years despite the contractual changes with localization.

somerandomdude

Learned
Elliot can become an absolute powerhouse unit from CS2 onward once he obtains the Nocturne Bell craft. Equip the Criminal or the Scorpio master quartz and stack nightmare. Watch as your enemies fall asleep and don't wake up as you tear into them. Since Nocturne Bell is a magical craft, it deals more damage with higher ATS, so stack your ATS. With your enemies asleep, you won't need to focus on healing (Elliot's Holy Song and S-craft should suffice), so feel free to equip another damage dealing quartz, like Gloom, as your sub.

Behold his power!

Unfortunately, the problem with Cold Steel games, is there were soo many ways to break the mechanics and trivialize the game that stuff like this commonly got overlooked, because it didn't involve chrono burst + delays + S-crafts, or insta-cast + low delay arts chaining, and lost arts, etc. When used correctly, no boss got a turn. It's the same deal in Hajimari/Trails of Reverie, unfortunately. I'd argue even more so. You literally just spam a boss down with aqua bullets until they're dead, insta-cast with a delay of 1. Crow's azure awakener buff gives ATS (L), and also doesn't use up his turn, between that and his orbal grid being time quartz heavy, he's the best arts user. Aqua bullets hitting for near 200CP S-craft level damage too.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
spoiler dude, there is two people that just posted there are still on CS1. Yeah, you see it coming from a mile away, but it's basic internet etiquette.

somerandomdude

Learned
spoiler dude, there is two people that just posted there are still on CS1. Yeah, you see it coming from a mile away, but it's basic internet etiquette.

I didn't spoil anything critical, or genuinely core to the story. If I gave a huge fucking story synapsis, then you might have a point, but I merely referenced characters when used in combat. People who don't want to be spoiled by tiny details like I shared should avoid topics like this. I'm not posting here, or anyone else to adhere to anyone's personal sensibilities on a given opinion/topic. The onus is on you to take the initiative to not spoil yourself.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished kuro, took 50 hours. Translation is very playable seems like everything is translated but most of dialogues with random ppl who are not related to main/side quests.

Some thoughts & smallish review without spoilers:

• Better than any CS game or Hajimari
  • Main char is a lot better than Rean / Lloyd and might be my second favorite after Estelle
  • A lot darker game than other trails games and people actually die
  • Harder than CS 3-4 or Hajimari but I still had to reset 0 times (char died around 6-10 times). Turn-based combat is little bit worse than in CS 3-4 and there are no obvious cheese methods. Cant even spam s-crafts nonstop. Real time combat is whatever I mostly skipped it. The benefit of real time combat is that you can skip all random encounters very easily. Orbment system is very good and might be the best in the series. On the other hand quartz and "master" quartz are mostly boring
  • No hidden quests so no need to use walkthrough if you want to get max rank
  • Shitload of fanservice
  • No mini games
  • Story and cast are good better than any CS game. Some retard stuff at the end which is quite typical for trails games

Last edited:

CLE's PC port of Kuro 2 is slated to be coming out one month later (October/Novemberish). Given how quickly Kuro 1 was fan translated, and a patch inserting the translation into CLE's PC port happened last month, then a fan translation patch for Kuro 2 might happen within a few months. A fan translation patch exists for Hajimari too, so within a few months you could catch up and play the three Trails games that haven't been translated yet, if you are willing to put up without Durante's PC port optimizations.

I don't think NISA has even released Zero no Kiseki yet. At this rate, I might just jump back onto the fan translation bandwagon. I already played the Crossbell games and at NISA's glacial pacing, it will be at least 3 years before Calvard comes out in English.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Just noticed that Kuro has 63 dlcs for sale (+3 free) :-D
With Kuro 2 maybe we can break 100

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished kuro, took 50 hours. Translation is very playable seems like everything is translated but most of dialogues with random ppl who are not related to main/side quests.

Some thoughts & smallish review without spoilers:

• Better than any CS game or Hajimari
  • Main char is a lot better than Rean / Lloyd and might be my second favorite after Estelle
  • A lot darker game than other trails games and people actually die
  • Harder than CS 3-4 or Hajimari but I still had to reset 0 times (char died around 6-10 times). Turn-based combat is little bit worse than in CS 3-4 and there are no obvious cheese methods. Cant even spam s-crafts nonstop. Real time combat is whatever I mostly skipped it. The benefit of real time combat is that you can skip all random encounters very easily. Orbment system is very good and might be the best in the series. On the other hand quartz and "master" quartz are mostly boring
  • No hidden quests so no need to use walkthrough if you want to get max rank
  • Shitload of fanservice
  • No mini games
  • Story and cast are good better than any CS game. Some retard stuff at the end which is quite typical for trails games
For reference, approximately how long did it take you to beat the Cold Steel games?

I have rached chapter 6 in the first one, and the clock shows ~60 hours.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
First playthrough of Cold Steel 1 was close to 10 years ago so I dont remb but I have a feeling that CS 1-2 were shorter than games after those. I would say that CS 3 and Kuro took about same time to complete with all the quests done.

Also Kuro does not have random npcs dialogues translated so that would have bought around 3-5 hours more playtime.

I play quite fast skip pretty much all random encounters + combat animations after seeing em once.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Is the twilight rebalance mod for cs4 any good? CS3 has been so piss easy even on the supposed nightmare difficulty it's ridiculous. Was looking for some way to make the game play actually somewhat worthwhile, the mod I mentioned before looked good but some of the changes looked a bit iffy.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Are you speedrunning it or something? ;) I clocked around 150h in CS1, but that's after exploring everything, doing all quests and talking to all npcs each time I pushed the story forward (not to mention modded difficulty)...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Are you speedrunning it or something? ;) I clocked around 150h in CS1, but that's after exploring everything, doing all quests and talking to all npcs each time I pushed the story forward (not to mention modded difficulty)...
Not speedrunning, but only fighting encountered enemies once. I don't grind fights, and I only talk to some NPCs. I cheat somewhat by having a hidden quest guide.

Sarathiour

Cipher

In never went over 100 hours for a playthrough, and I'm doing all of that + some autistic shit.

Endemic

Arcane
Just noticed that Kuro has 63 dlcs for sale (+3 free) :-D
With Kuro 2 maybe we can break 100

It's just the individual pieces of clothing and items becoming separate DLCs that's inflating the number. Plus a few new ideas like voice packs.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Is the twilight rebalance mod for cs4 any good? CS3 has been so piss easy even on the supposed nightmare difficulty it's ridiculous. Was looking for some way to make the game play actually somewhat worthwhile, the mod I mentioned before looked good but some of the changes looked a bit iffy.
I played the guy's mod for CS3, it was decent and made the combat more challenging.

I followed a bit the mod development for CS4 (I'm waiting for an hajimari announcement to replay CS4 with it), they at least tried to make sure even the worst team at any given time could clear it. It's probably still a bit autistic from time to time, because, the game get a bit ridiculous at high speed level.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I beat chapter 6, and I only just dabbled in the start of chapter 7. I got the last fish, and I underestimated the amount of effort it would take to catch it! I think that I have all recipes and chests, so far. I don't have all the books.

But what I really wanted to talk about isn't that, but the bullshit final bossfight(s) of chapter 6. Do not read if you have not beaten chapter 6 of Cold Steel.
The fight with V was pretty cool, and I had to revive a few of my characters. Got it on my first try. It's less difficult, and more of an endurance test. But the fight with C directly after is just lolworty. I legit thought I was going to redo the previous fights. The game should have let you change gear between fights. Most of my characters were not immune to the status ailment most used by the enemies. On top of that, those mines were a pain in the ass. It took me six tries to get him, and that was thanks to his mines being clumped together on my last try. Rean could use Gale to get rid of them. As its own fight, it was cool, but it was crazy to have that as two back-to-back fights, because who the hell knows that you will be inflicted with faint every other turn. In the end, Angelica was the one who won me the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom