Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Gearmos

Educated

Readher

Savant

One can dream, but it is very likely that Engine Software will be the ones porting the game to PC (as soon as they finish the Switch port). They have ported Killer7 and Caligula Effect to PC for NISA previously. And they are not bad at all.

Durante was the one doing ToCS1 and ToCS2 ports and considering NISA got a few XSEED people to do the translation work, it's not a stretch to think they got Durante on board for the port too. Unless you dream big and think Durante is working on Persona, there isn't really any other game that would fit the release window and his high-profile work. In any case, we'll know soon since Durante said he'd reveal his studios first game in Januray.

Last edited:

Gearmos

Educated
NISA has confirmed the PC port of CS3, thanks to a PAX South 2020 panel titled "Publishing: From Console to PC":

In this informative panel, we'll be giving you an inside look into the processes and challenges of porting some of your favorite games, such as Trails of Cold Steel III and killer7. Plus we've got announcements, a surprise guest, and a free giveaway (while supplies last)! This is a panel you won't want to miss!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NISA has confirmed the PC port of CS3, thanks to a PAX South 2020 panel titled "Publishing: From Console to PC":

In this informative panel, we'll be giving you an inside look into the processes and challenges of porting some of your favorite games, such as Trails of Cold Steel III and killer7. Plus we've got announcements, a surprise guest, and a free giveaway (while supplies last)! This is a panel you won't want to miss!
any links?

Dodo1610

Arcane

any links?
https://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/publishing-from-console-to-pc

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
zero and ao kai 2020

EMC1gY-WkAA5Isn

also new kiseki game

it seems TITs 3rd like for erebonia rumor is true

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
From falcom discord (possible spoiler for cs 3 and 4)

This is the end, as well as the beginning—.

The whole of the Empire was weakened in the disaster known as the “Great Twilight.” Thanks to the efforts of the heroes, the land of Zemuria pulled through the crisis, and a new fate has been spun, moving the story towards its “end point.”

The game is set on the continent of Zemuria after the Great Twilight. The three main characters and their actions all over the continent cause troubled destinies to become intricately intertwined.

One is a “hero.”
One is a “liberator.”
One is a “hermit.”

The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki features plenty of new systems that utilize the strengths of the Trails series, including a “Cross Story” system that allows players to switch between three routes at will to depict stories happening in parallel from different perspectives; over 50 playable characters, including some new faces; and expansive “Episode” scenarios that delve into the backgrounds of each character.

How do the people of Crossbell feel as they prepare to be independent once more? What thoughts pass through the minds of the people of the Empire who lost their mighty pillar? And what is the agenda of the society Ouroboros, whose Grandmaster decreed that the “Orpheus Final Plan” be advanced to a new stage…?[
/spoiler]

Gearmos

Educated
So, will Falcom choose another preferred partner in case NISA refuses to localize Zero and Ao Kai? Just like they did when XSEED did not want to localize Tokyo Xanadu...

Endemic

Arcane
So, will Falcom choose another preferred partner in case NISA refuses to localize Zero and Ao Kai? Just like they did when XSEED did not want to localize Tokyo Xanadu...

Over 80% of their profits come from the Japanese market.

If Falcom cared that much about localizing the Crossbell duology, it would have happened years ago, but they were in no hurry to give the rights to any western publishers. I'm not sure it's even viable to localize those behemoth scripts given how obscure the games are outside of the hardcore fanbase.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Over 80% of their profits come from the Japanese market.

If Falcom cared that much about localizing the Crossbell duology, it would have happened years ago, but they were in no hurry to give the rights to any western publishers. I'm not sure it's even viable to localize those behemoth scripts given how obscure the games are outside of the hardcore fanbase.
they are already getting huge increase in their western market share. there's no way they are ignoring this and will pursue growth on western market. the reason they don't publish crosbell games is because it is on a dead platform and the PC version is iirc made by chinese company that it's hard to get publishing rights for xseed/nisa

Endemic

Arcane
they are already getting huge increase in their western market share. there's no way they are ignoring this and will pursue growth on western market.

I'm just going by Falcom's own numbers. Last year it was roughly 16%. Kondo has said he'd like the Crossbell games localized several times but there has been little movement on that front.

Maybe the PS4 remasters will change this, but I wouldn't make any assumptions.

the reason they don't publish crosbell games is because it is on a dead platform

That didn't stop Sky SC being localized for the PSP when it was essentially dead though (2015).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
That didn't stop Sky SC being localized for the PSP when it was essentially dead though (2015).
it was for testing the water. psp is dead by then. with PC/ps4/switch and a remaster on those platform, it will be easier to bring it into states. this is the perfect opportunity to bring more western kiseki fans. kondo already said he wants more western fans.it's the logical step.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think PSP release was for commitment, since they announced SC will be released on PSP. Also it's backward compatible and playable on PS Vita, so in some way it was also a Vita release.

Gearmos

Educated
Kondo has said that Hajimari will act as an epilogue to Cold Steel and a brigde to future games, the same way The 3rd did. It won't be a spin-off.

And he also said this:

So NISA will be bussy with Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Hajimari (which will be story-heavy), Zero and Ao... and the next Ys, the next Kiseki arc... TX2... for years to come.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So NISA will be bussy with Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Hajimari (which will be story-heavy), Zero and Ao... and the next Ys, the next Kiseki arc... TX2... for years to come.

Unlike Cold Steel 3, this time around Hatsuu is already hired by Nexon. Hope they could make all the games consistent because the long running editor is gone now.

I am not sure how much quality of Cold Steel 3 could be attributed to her work but NISA previous localization of Falcom YS games left me wary again.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Kondo has said that Hajimari will act as an epilogue to Cold Steel and a brigde to future games, the same way The 3rd did. It won't be a spin-off.

And he also said this:

I presume the masked man is "The Hermit". Also noting that The Hermit is the 9th tarot card. So is he/she the first Ouroboros main character in the series perhaps?

On another note, whilst I actually like their characters, surely though it's time for Rean and Lloyd to get a rest as main characters, and maybe give the new class VII a bigger go?

Deleted member 7219

And he also said this:

I presume the masked man is "The Hermit". Also noting that The Hermit is the 9th tarot card. So is he/she the first Ouroboros main character in the series perhaps?

On another note, whilst I actually like their characters, surely though it's time for Rean and Lloyd to get a rest as main characters, and maybe give the new class VII a bigger go?

I would like to see them give all characters a rest and find new ones for the next arc. Maybe have a few return who haven’t been seen for a while. And I’d like to have another game with Kevin as the main character again.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/...n-on-zero-imminent-release-is-all-but-azured/

Trails of Zeroing in on Zero: Imminent Release is All But Azured
Posted on December 26, 2019
fc2f6f25a448666408864c84963b6370
Author Ribose5
zero_aidiosmas.jpg

Hello, soon-to-be detectives! Ribose here. It’s time for an update! It’s been a while, but things have NOT calmed down here. In fact, they have ramped up as we ready for a release, soon.

On My Way, Listen You Have to Obey, Magic Is Mine to Command, I’m The…
Now that it’s time for a new update, it’s time for us to say what has happened since the last one. The first reveal is that our friend, Sorcerian, is the one editing graphics for us! While omgfloofy did some graphics such as the location intro text, chapter title cards, and quartz/arts notebook pages, Sorcerian has filled in to give us the rest!

This includes a long checklist of notebook help pages, battle status and AT icon redraws, and 40+ textures of signs that needed to be adjusted for one reason or another. Addaberry, who provided the cursors, also edited a few sign textures.

Here are a few of the beautiful notebook help pages that Sorcerian has made for us. Image image image

And here are a few shots of various parts of the game. If you’re familiar with the game, see if you can spot all of the small adjustments.

Advancing Bravery
In past installments, we have revealed our Options replacement menu and Save List replacement menu, I’d like to show off how they look now with a bit of polish and iteration.

A shout out is due, once again, to the almighty Dear ImGui library powering these user interfaces. By simulating the game’s behavior with text shadow and a background made out of the game engine’s window backgrounds, it should convincingly feel like part of the game! Mouse, keyboard, and controller support is, of course, still present, and should be better than before.

Now, it’s time to show off three core features of our patch that I may or may not have said were impossible in the past. These all rely on the incredible Dear ImGui library in some part.

#1: Individualizing Your Soundtrack
The first feature is one that was brewing for probably years now. We used a little-known (and not very great) UI library for a short time before finding and switching to ImGui for our UI needs. This “OST switch” existed as a (non-functioning) dropdown menu on THAT interface. So that pins it down to at least a year and a half ago.

With my work on replacing SOUNDARC with an emulation thread (a story for another day…) and JoseJL’s continuing work disassembling and finding out more about the game’s systems, and specifically its “t_bgm” table, JoseJL was able to complete this feature. I provided some much-needed UI work to make the selector easy to use and work with our Options overlay.

I also gave it one last touch: each item can be played on the fly! So, with that addition, this became more of a combination Sound Test and OST selection popup. The game will return to the track for the area you are in when the popup is closed.

I also edited the English translations of the song titles to align with our edited project. For song titles that were already in English, such as the famous Get Over the Barrier!, no change was made. If you want the original song titles (the mix of Japanese and English titles found on the official track list), then please check out our release in Japanese display mode.

#2: Button Prompt Icons For Everyone
If you look back at the notebook help pages I posted first, you may notice something. In fact, early experiments of this idea have been going on for at least a year. Old updates posted to this website contained button prompt icons hidden in them.

Now, this feature could require an explanation that could hog one or a few full-length blog posts! So for now, I’ll just state what it is, and leave the how it works for another day…

Button prompt icons are the icons that appear in the top left of the screen during battle and certain menus, as well as the “L” and “R” icons displayed on tabs, and, unique to our release, embedded in the scenario, non-scenario text, and on top of notebook help pages that need them.

Why are they so special? Well, on PSP, PS Vita, PS4, and practically any console out there, button prompts are hardcoded (technically, PS Vita and PS4 let you remap at the OS level, but games frequently do not even change to accommodate this remapping). By hardcoded, I mean that you only have one set of icons and their meaning is exactly what it shows. For example, the Circle button on the PSP was hardcoded to always mean “Accept” and this is irrefutable in that version of this game. It also always would use the Circle glyph and that was fine.

Then, Joyoland ported Zero no Kiseki to the PC platform and did absolutely the bare minimum to work with the platform. They changed the icons to generic DirectInput icons, but the icons did not change when rebound.

We can finally unveil that in this patch, we have fully-rebindable button prompt icons! Under Options > Display, you can choose an icon set (Xbox, DualShock, Switch Pro, and Default). Then you can rebind to your heart’s content! By default, the patch is configured to expect the default layout for each of the three controllers listed.

The other part to this feature is keyboard button prompt icons.

This feature will be expanded upon in a future deep-dive blog post. For now, know that you can select your icon set in the Display tab, and select your binding preset (or set your own) in the Controller, Keyboard, and Mouse tabs, and the game should display sane icons for most regular configurations. This should also provide parity with the existing Trails of Cold Steel PC ports!

#3: The Message Log
And for the final big feature reveal, let’s compare this game to the newest English release in the series, Trails of Cold Steel III. One day while that release was hot on our minds, Arvin asked the impossible question: I had an idea. How about a backlog for text? JoseJL looked into it, and ended up making it possible! He came up with the proof-of-concept, and then we refined it. I provided some UI programming work and improved the scenario parsing to include everything from color to embedded icons. Now introducing: the message log.

This message log of course saves text far into the past just as the game displays it, supports Japanese or English text (depending on your display mode), and displays text with full color and any icons. It also lets you replay scenario voices, if they are installed, and shows the speaker title and speaker portrait if present. It is also saved and loaded with the save file (in a JSON file stored in the save’s folder).

Is That All?
Of course not! There’s always more to this amazing project and it has been an absolute blast to work with the other Geofront team members as we continually make the impossible possible on this game that has become so important to us.

So what’s more? Well, a few shout outs first.

Shout out to all of our amazing testers! They are the real heroes, finding typos, finding strange bugs with the default input sensitivity of the Switch Pro controller in DirectInput mode, finding connections to things we missed from Trails in the Sky FC through Trails of Cold Steel III that they’ll never let us live down for missing, and just generally being collectively comprehensive and thorough like our limited number of eyes could never be. They will be fully listed in our credits on the project’s release day.

Shout out to the previous team’s translation work (that is, translators Guren and Yangxu and others). While we can say with absolute certainty that this project needed an editing pass, and we can also say that we have probably checked the original Japanese on literally thousands of lines, terms, and names, we wouldn’t be here without their first step.

And obligatory shout out to Nihon Falcom for such an incredible game. The story told in this game must be told to you guys. It’s worth the wait to see the humor, the intensity, the characters, the machinations…

Please, just wait about one month longer, for we hope to get this patch in your hands soon. Remember, it’s done when it’s done. We have a few bugs to sort out, but at the rate things are being completed, testing is progressing, and issues are being resolved, I don’t expect it to take much longer. We’ll have you know, we will probably be hard at work on this until that very last moment. There are so many parts to the project, it’s kind of unbelievable that a finish line is in sight.

Supplemental Material
We would like to remind you once more of the treasure chest messages form. Since that will be implemented into the game last, I expect to close that form in a couple weeks. Do get your submissions in!

We will be opening a channel on the Falcom Discord specifically for the discussion of our patch called #trails-from-zero-geofront.

We have a few other supplemental projects to detail and provide related to the game. Please look forward to them!

Now I would like to hand this over to Arvin.

Hello!
Hey guys, Arvin here. I haven’t had the opportunity to write in one of these yet, so I wanted to start by saying hello. So… Hello…

Cool. It’s been about five months since I first started working on this project, and I have to say, whew, it’s been a heck of a ride. I dove into the game with almost no experience in any form of editing, so it was a bit of a struggle at first. However, I’m pleased to say that I’m in my comfort zone at this point, and any of my older, awkward writing was completely banished during the second pass.

On the topic of passes: The first pass essentially served as a means of rearranging the original script into more legible English. The second pass was initially meant to be our proofreading phase, but I felt that all of the writing could have used a bit of an upgrade. I spent a solid two months giving every single NPC a voice, so that they sounded like an actual ‘character,’ as opposed to just a translation. There were a few NPCs I had a ton of fun with, especially in Neinvalli Exchange, Guillaume Factory, and the Fisherman’s Guild. Part of me thinks I was actually born to write fishermen dialog. I also spent time getting down the voices of all the SSS characters, and I think I’ve done a great job of matching Zerker’s writing style to help give everyone a seamless experience. I am especially fond of Randy, if my avatar hadn’t already made it obvious.

P.S. Give me full credit for all of the funny lines, and blame Zerk for any bad lines!

P.S.S. Ouch! I’m funny sometimes! – Zerker

Beta Testing Phase
As you may have seen on Twitter or Discord a few times, we are now more than a month into the beta testing phase! What does that entail, exactly? Well, KillScottKill, Addabery, Zerker, Cata, and myself have been hard at work cleaning up the script. Scott and Adda are currently playing the game and combing through every single piece of dialog to find any spelling mistake, punctuation error, poorly written line, or anything that reeks of a mistranslation and/or inconsistency. Zerk and myself are correcting any mistakes, or rewriting any lines that call for it, while Cata retranslates any lines that seem off. It’d be safe to say the game’s script wouldn’t be nearly as good without Scott and Adda’s efforts, so thank you!

Often times, our discussions can revolve around a single snippet of text, sending us down a massive rabbit hole to confirm its accuracy. One of our more recent examples includes this line:

ardentmystery.png

Could there really be just one Bracer Guild branch in all of Remiferia? Scott found that hard to believe, so we dove into every available script on trailsinthedatabase.com, as well as tried to reference Akatsuki (we know it’s not canon, don’t worry!) After painstaking research, we were able to determine that there are, in fact, at least two branches in Remiferia. Given that Arios is in contact with the Prince of Remiferia fairly often, it was safe to make the assumption that the Ardent branch of Remiferia was contacting them, as it is their capital city. Ardent is also mentioned by name later in Azure. The line now reads: “You see, I was just contacted by the Ardent branch in Remiferia.” You can imagine how easily this can become a time sink when it happens on multiple occasions.

So again, thank you to our testers and the rest of the team for putting in so much work to ensure this localization becomes one worthy of comparison to the official releases. I see measurable improvements to the script every single day, and I have full confidence it will be spectacular by the end.

I plan to play the game in its entirety once Scott and Adda have finished their current playthrough. I probably won’t adjust much, but I hope to add better quips. I’ve actually gone back and added in a few these last couple of weeks.

And Sign Off
Zerker here. It’s been a hell of a ride, but one I’ll never forget. We’re all extremely proud of the work we’ve done, and we hope you enjoy playing it as much as we’ve enjoyed working on it. You don’t have too much longer to go. Thank you for sticking with us. Thank you for everything.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Lots of talk ATM about Falcom saying they are working on a new game engine and the risk associated with that - what are people's thoughts on that?

I know there is a prevailing view that they should just use Unreal or Unity or something and avoid the risk (given that a lot of players don't play Trails for it's looks), but honestly I think it may come down to the fact that Ys is their flagship series and for that they probably want something customizable enough to be able to get exactly what they want out of it for those action RPG purposes? I note that Atlas used a custom game engine for Persona 5 (which looks pretty good and sought of the next level for what you would expect the trails games to look like), and I suppose that may be a bit of a benchmark for them locally. The other thing is that presumably the engine they used for TiTS and Zero as well as the 2000s Ys game was developed in house and suited what was needed at the time, so they maybe they feel they have the track record in this area?

Jinn

Arcane
Finally went ahead and bought the PC version of Trails from Zero since there was a nice half-off deal on it at DLsite. With that translation due out in the next couple months, I wanted to be ready just in case I got the hard itch to play. I'm still a little apprehensive to start it off right away without knowing how many years it would be until I got to play a decently translated version of Ao. I feel like I may be tempted to play the inferior PSP translation at that point.

Realistically, I'll probably end up playing Zero, then heading on to Cold Steel for the first time. I think I heard most spoilers and Crossbell heavy references really don't start until Cold Steel III, so I might be able to space it out nicely with the simultaneity of Crossbell and Cold Steel.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Finally went ahead and bought the PC version of Trails from Zero since there was a nice half-off deal on it at DLsite. With that translation due out in the next couple months, I wanted to be ready just in case I got the hard itch to play. I'm still a little apprehensive to start it off right away without knowing how many years it would be until I got to play a decently translated version of Ao. I feel like I may be tempted to play the inferior PSP translation at that point.

Realistically, I'll probably end up playing Zero, then heading on to Cold Steel for the first time. I think I heard most spoilers and Crossbell heavy references really don't start until Cold Steel III, so I might be able to space it out nicely with the simultaneity of Crossbell and Cold Steel.

I think that is pretty much correct, as I recall the only thing I can think of is that the last bit of Cold Steel 1 and mid-cold Steel 2 (from a major event perspective and one particular enemy perspective) there are some brief references to stuff going on in Crossbell and then most particularly right at the end of Cold Steel 2 (as part of the intermission - the game is pretty much over by that point with very little additionally added with respect to the Cold Steel Arc so if you really really wanted to you could STOP at that point and wait as there is probably one semi-major character spoiler) but otherwise it is pretty much safe.

Cold Steel 3 visits Crossbell and a couple of the main characters (from the previous series) follow the main party around so yes that's when there are heaps of references to what has happened in the Zero/Azure games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
so i bought a copy of trails from zero from japanese site (DRM Free!) and it's ready on my steam. just waiting for the patch to drop any day now

chI950F.jpg

u1R1fPR.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom