Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Marauder Shields - the unsung hero of the Mass Effect trilogy. "His life was cut short, last night, when he was brutally gunned down while defending his post in front of the Citadel transport beam. His sacrifice will not be forgotten."

Quilty

Magister
214 pages about an abominable turd of a game, while the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread lies abandoned. What a disgrace.

:rpgcodex:

CROmagnon

Augur
Marauder Shields!

Although you lost the fight, you fought bravely and with honour!

You did your Reaper proud, son! May your indoctrinaded soul be in a better place now!

Marauder Shields! We salute you!

:hero::hero::hero:

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If the ending was a dream, does that mean Marauder Shields lives?
I fucking hope so! Otherwise Bioware is going to have an even bigger shitstorm on its hands! I want demand beg for DLC which proves that Marauder Shields is still alive and lives happily ever after with his waifu, Banshee Shields.:troll:

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Btw, why do relays blow up if you control/merge with the Reapers?

Just about everybody screws the colourblind over these days. Maybe Bio should add a colourblind companion in a DLC.

Also, let's not forget that colourblind love as we all do.

:troll:

Multi-headed Cow

214 pages about an abominable turd of a game, while the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread lies abandoned. What a disgrace.

This thread has taken a distinctly less "lol bioware!" turn lately. :patriot:

Lot harder to talk about a game with little information known about it, compared to razzing one that's available for everyone, and practically gives away opportunities for mocking. That and several pages of liberally spread thread drift.

Angthoron

Arcane
From the Relay-blowing orgasm the network experiences from sexin' Extreme Shepard.

What? Of course Shep sexes the Synths. That's how all the synth-bio LIFE is made.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Because it doesn't make any fucking sense no matter how you try to think about it.

To clarify: I could have got behind a cool sort of quasi-spiritual ending - if the game had set up for it to begin with. But aside from the Prothean beacons (the one plot device in the series that has any sort of real intrigue and is completely abandoned after the first game), and a lot of the imagery that comes at the end (white beams of light, ascension, etc.) the tone and themes in the ending aren't things that are foreshadowed or built up to throughout the rest of the trilogy.

They're all good options, even if they are nonsensical; the problem is they all come across as completely arbitrary. Magically turn everyone into human-machine hybrids through the power of green explosions? Sure, why not! As long as we're making stuff up, can I get an ending where everyone eats delicious ice cream and cake together, and the Reapers, with their stomachs full, leave the galaxy? It's just as plausible and has no less setup than any of the other outcomes.

Not only that, but Shepard's death is contrived in all of them as well - it's a heroic sacrifice where that sacrifice is only necessary because the plot says it is, not for any logical reason. We care about sacrifice because it's the ultimate gesture of humility and because, while tragic, we know that it's needed to secure a better future. In the case of Mass Effect 3, it's hard to give a shit about Shepard's because the reasons for it are unclear, and because Shepard makes no attempt to inquire how or why any of it is happening. Kill myself to secure galactic peace? Yeah, there's no way the Reapers, who are experts at mind-control and causing hallucinations, could be tricking me!

I feel really bad, too. The end sequence of the game was exceptionally well done - good combat encounters, and while a bit stale after 40ish hours, it was longer than most game endings and had a good build-up, even if it was a bit self-indulgent. They put a lot of effort into this, but all the great visuals, symbolism and moving soundtracks in the world can't help the fact that the context makes no sense. This is sympathetic storytelling at its worst.

A few other things that don't make sense, aside from the obvious:

If the Reapers are all over the galaxy now (chasing the Normandy around, etc.) why do they bring the Catalyst to Earth? Why don't they just send it into dark space so nobody will ever find it, making their superweapon ineffective?

Why aren't Reapers equipped with any sorts of small arms? Surely a few mounted turrets would be enough to repel any invasion force... or badly-injured, crawling space marines.

How long does it take for them to enter Earth's atmosphere? That "beam approach" sequence is like 20 minutes long and a single Reaper only shows up at the very end? Can't they cross the entire galaxy in like 10 seconds, based on the cutscenes and the initial Earth invasion?

How did the Reapers get that massive beam of light and the structure around it set up so quickly? Hadn't they had the Catalyst for like, an hour? Yet already they've got this set up? It's like they read the script in advance - if TIM hadn't blabbed then they would have never known about the Catalyst in the first place, after all.

Where the fuck did Maurader Shields and his Husk posse come from? Were they just hiding out behind that big piece of rubble for hours in case anyone decided to come near?

Inside the Catalyst, Anderson is talking about making his way through a dark hallway. We find him at some central control room, but there's only one way in, the way we came. His radio message ends like 10 seconds before we arrive and yet he's acting like he'd already been there for a while, and we certainly didn't see him ahead of us.

If the Reapers wanted to stop the Illusive Man, and he was clearly indoctrinated and full of cybernetics, why didn't they take control of him like they did Saren and finish Shepard and Anderson off?

skuphundaku

Patron

Lot harder to talk about a game with little information known about it, compared to razzing one that's available for everyone, and practically gives away opportunities for mocking.
Not to mention the latest reports that say that Marauder Shields, the real hero of the trilogy, was, most likely, killed in an altercation with a well known, violent and dangerous heaviliy armed criminal, most commonly known under the alias of Shepard S. Shepard.

CROmagnon

Augur
Comment: I feel bad for the colorblind, they only got 1 ending

Inded they do.

YGZrM.png

OK. Which one of you is James Edinboro? Is it you Toffeli?:lol:

Deleted member 7219

Whoever he is, if he isn't here already he should be invited to the Codex. I shall do it now.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I didn’t want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the endings have had with people—debating what the endings mean, and what’s going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in. That to me is part of what’s exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it’s a story that people can talk about after the fact.”
Casey Hudson on ending criticism.
I propose starting a kickstarter to fund buying and shipping a dictionary to Casey Hudson.

Hint: if EVERYONE hates your ending, then it wasn't polarizing.

CROmagnon

Augur
Ok Bros! I know i've been posting way too much images, especially for a newfag, but these are worth it.

This one is real.

p8Ls4.png

This one is :troll:for reasons I hope I don't have to explain. (HARBINGER!!!!!)

LEL8M.png

Now I wonder what would happen if, say for instance, racofer or Crustybot or someone else with a BSN account (I don't have one) posted the second one in a heated thread about the indoctrination ending? Hmm? I really don't know. :)

The paths are clear Codex. Do what you must!

Also, I lifted the images from 4chan so I can't take credit for them.

CROmagnon

Augur
Aw shit!

Well someone will do it eventually. I give it 24 hours max before it turns up on BSN.

That place will explode. Think of the thousands in that place looking for hope that they can be reunited with their waifu and husbandu.

Makes my eyes water.:lol:

racofer

Thread Incliner
http://www.thevine.com.au/life/tech/mass-effect-3-and-the-ending-debacle20120314.aspx

Last week, I let my Mass Effect 3 review slip out, and it was, if you recall, overwhelmingly positive. No game series has achieved as much, be it with story, or character development, or action or even scope, as the Mass Effect series has done. And possibly the greatest element of Mass Effect, and the core of what Bioware has become great at, is choice. Choices and the consequences of said choices are the spinal column of the big, lumbering, wonderful beast that is the Mass Effect trilogy. Everything you do can, and will, yield results down the line.

That is, until the end of Mass Effect 3. As you may have heard, the internet has somewhat exploded with justifiable, and pleasingly coherent, articulate, organised and copious dissent over how Bioware have wrapped up this truly staggering space opera. Alarm bells went off throughout Mass Effect 3 when several vital characters were killed off in spite of all your choices, and in spite of your overwhelming abilities. I can deal with these fatalities, however, as they (by and large) fit with the motivations of the characters in question.

But the end of Mass Effect 3 either is a triple-pronged bird-flip to loyal fans, or the most brilliant, open-ended, artful conclusion to a game I've ever seen. It goes without saying that BY GOD THERE ARE SPOILERS ALL UP IN THIS HIZZOUSE.

Shepard, Anderson, two teammates and an Alliance troop movement charge the teleport beam, in order to reach the Citadel, open it up and activate the Crucible. However a Reaper starts razing the clearing you and your guys are bolting up, and when a beam gets close, Shepard blacks out and wakes up, bleeding, in what feels like a trippy dream sequence. He (or she) then ends up on the Citadel, encounters a ghostly version of the kid he couldn't save at the start of the game, and is given one of three unbelievably vague and largely tragic endings.

Fans are pissed because, as I said, Mass Effect is all about choice and consequence, and being given three unnervingly similar cut-scenes which entirely fail to address a single facet of the individual Shepard's journey is either insulting, or not an ending at all. Fans have formed and rallied behind the #retakemasseffect movement, a movement with thousands upon thousands of vocal supporters, and who are donating to the charity Child's Play all the while.

The Bioware forums are on fire with thousands of pages worth of dense theorycrafting regarding the ambiguous nature of the ending, namely the idea that everything from the pass-out is Shepard battling indoctrination and being tested; three endings are provided, one letting you to control the Reapers, one letting you force a new stage of evolution upon organics and non-organics, and one, highlighted as being evil by the star baby thing, letting you destroy all reapers and, apparently, all non-organics. All three apparently destroy or disable the Mass Relays, and all three leave the Normandy stranded on a lush planet with your crew intact. There are many, many musical cues, visual cues and narrative hints that help back this idea up. This theory is further bolstered by the fact that if you have a high enough preparation rating and choose the 'bad' destruction option, you see Shepard wake up in rubble, hinting that he succeeded in dishing out a huge fuck you to the Reapers indoctrination attempt, and then woke up in the rubble where he fell in the streets of London.

And after my second play-through of the final act, I agree with this more and more. And to add credence to these theories, the official Mass Effect 3 twitter account has dished out the following words, vague though they may be:​

User 1: "I still want to believe you guys are sneaky trolls and have something going on you don't tell us yet. Can I get a cryptic reply?"
@masseffect: "The sun, it shines. www.youtube.com/watch"

User 2: "You are either a massive sadist or a beacon of hope."
@masseffect: "Can't it be both?"

User 3: "I kinda feel lost after that ending...not what I expected and left me feeling everything done was for nothing."
@masseffect: "We know it's a lot to take in! But hang in there. Your decisions matter."

User 4: "Are you holding something back, that could quell the large amount of frustration from the community, a tiny hint would be enough."
@masseffect: "Mike Gamble already said on his twitter, if the fans knew what was in store, the reaction would be different."

User 5: "I loved 98% of ME3..but something has to be up w/ ending..too much talent at BW for that business. Keep my saves?"
@masseffect: "We're keeping our saves, that's for sure."

User 6: "Fans are people too. Playing with their minds isn't that nice as it may look like to people from Bioware."
@masseffect: "We're not playing with anyone's minds, we are answering what questions we can and recording what feedback we receive."

User 7: "Its not that the ending was taken in the wrong direction its that it makes NO SENSE. Ashley was on the Normandy? she [was] with me."
@masseffect: "Probably a good thing to be cautious of."

User 8: "Do y'all have any ETA when more news will be released? Dying for news on a new ending/DLC."
@masseffect: "No ETA yet, but you will be updated via Facebook and Twitter when the news is available :)."

And some more:

User 1 -Well, i think i'll stop naggin you and trying to get you to talk about the indoctrination theory. :( Good game though!
Merizan - I want people to make up their own minds right now, then when more people have played we'll talk :)

User 2 - then I want to SEE that he was lying. I want to get up and finish the fight with Commander Shepard. Then retire.
Merizan - augh. want. to. discuss! Staying spoiler free for now :P

User 3 - But should've confronted the kid instead. Shep went meekly into the night.
Merizan - are you sure he went meekly into the night?

Whether they do a follow-up DLC revealing the truth of the ending, or verify this theory-crafting once the game has had a full global release, or even whether they tell us to shut the hell up, we deserve closure. Yes, it's their story. But by giving us thousands of choices throughout and shaping it in response to our whims, they've made it our story, too. And the vast, vocal majority of us aren't happy. As it stands, the ending is abysmal and poorly written, an ill-fitting end to the series, or it's a tantalizing whiff of impending genius. Either way, other games have fixed or altered endings (Broken Steel for Fallout 3, for one), and if any series deserved such treatment, it's this one. The next month should be an interesting one for Bioware.

Either way, my assessment of the game stands: it's excellent. But if the ending really is as childishly cut and dry as everyone initially thought and Bioware do nothing to address it, it'll be a colossal waste of an opportunity on their part, and it'll very likely retroactively ruin the previous titles for many fans. And all over something that could be so easily remedied.​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless on whether this hallucination ending is true or not, Bioware is messing with their fans' heads quite a lot with this game. :salute:

circ

Arcane
Oh good god, it was even worse than I thought. One ending for everything.

GUYS

HOW CAN WE OUT DXHR DXHR???

THINK BIOWAR

UM

YEAH UH

WELL UH

WE WE

WE MAKE THEM ALL THE SAME??

YOU ARE PROMOTED

CROmagnon

Augur
what am I supposed to be seeing in cromagnons image post the page before? I'm having a dumb moment.

These are models of teh kid lifted from the game files.

The second one has been renamed. It has HARBINGER added to it. As in Harbinger the Reaper, which implies the kid is actually Harbinger talking to Shepard.

It's bullshit, but some people are becoming so depressed with the ME3 ending they would believe anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom