Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

I don't think it fails only as hard Sci-Fi. Let's take SW (old trilogy, of course) - it's as soft as it gets, but doesn't fail much, because it sidesteps tech fluff most of the time and uses phlebotinum (hyperspace) where this fluff would have inevitable impact on the story. As the result the sci-fi part of SW is barely more than backdrop and window dressing for a space fable, but it's hard to point at something in particular and say "FAIL".

Endor, Ewoks and an elite legion of stormtroopers. Just sayin' :M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zulu_War

It's not outside the bounds of possibility. They were prepared to stop a small rebel strike force, not an entire army of natives.

The biggest derp of ME franchise:

From first contact to "all aliens drinking in the same bar Star Wars style" in 26 years.
No, just no.:retarded:

To be fair, when the major alien races are human with some uglier faces, and speak perfect English to boot, with no apparently huge gaps in technology or physical/mental abilities, it can't be that hard. The real question is how humans get a reputation as "expansionist" and "putting colonies everywhere" so quickly. Is there a DIY colony creation kit that's sold for a few hundred dollars or something?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't think it fails only as hard Sci-Fi. Let's take SW (old trilogy, of course) - it's as soft as it gets, but doesn't fail much, because it sidesteps tech fluff most of the time and uses phlebotinum (hyperspace) where this fluff would have inevitable impact on the story. As the result the sci-fi part of SW is barely more than backdrop and window dressing for a space fable, but it's hard to point at something in particular and say "FAIL".

Endor, Ewoks and an elite legion of stormtroopers. Just sayin' :M

That's just the story being stupid in general, nothing to do with SciFi hardness or the lack thereof.
Besides, the "there's no fucking way the other side could put up a fight much less win" stuff has happened IRL at alarming frequency. The problem is just fucking Ewoks man. Fucking Ewoks man!

I guess we should just deconstruct it as that the Ewoks are actually super-badass hyper-survivors, like the Fremen of teddy bears.

demotivational-posters-who-is.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
Since Bioware shamelessly ripped off Babylon 5 almost right down to the protagonist's name
I would like to know more, because I never noticed that. In fact even now that you've mentioned it I still can't see the similarity.

The Citadel is Babylon 5, the council is B5's council, the main antagonists are ancient races with unknown motivation (Reapers-Shadows-Vorlons), the hero has to unite different races and settle their differences - so does Sheridan, Shepard dies and comes back - Sheridan dies and comes back, the final quest is to take back earth - the same for B5, Reaper indoctrination - Shadow influence/the Keeper on Londo's shoulder, Earth-Turian War practically the same as Earth-Minbari war. There are hundreds of examples.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Besides, the "there's no fucking way the other side could put up a fight much less win" stuff has happened IRL at alarming frequency. The problem is just fucking Ewoks man. Fucking Ewoks man!

I guess we should just deconstruct it as that the Ewoks are actually super-badass hyper-survivors, like the Fremen of teddy bears.

THERE'S A LOT THOSE REBEL SCUM NEVER TOLD ANYONE ABOUT THE FUCKING EWOKS!

ewok3.jpg

ewok2.jpg

Goddamn savages.

Angthoron

Arcane
Since Bioware shamelessly ripped off Babylon 5 almost right down to the protagonist's name
I would like to know more, because I never noticed that. In fact even now that you've mentioned it I still can't see the similarity.

The Citadel is Babylon 5, the council is B5's council, the main antagonists are ancient races with unknown motivation (Reapers-Shadows-Vorlons), the hero has to unite different races and settle their differences - so does Sheridan, Shepard dies and comes back - Sheridan dies and comes back, the final quest is to take back earth - the same for B5, Reaper indoctrination - Shadow influence/the Keeper on Londo's shoulder, Earth-Turian War practically the same as Earth-Minbari war. There are hundreds of examples.
Well damn, now I want to watch Babylon 5 again.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Does the hero in B5 also fuck every alien he comes across? This is important for my immershuns.

Angthoron

Arcane

Does the hero in B5 also fuck every alien he comes across? This is important for my immershuns.
Only just one he forms an EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT with.

Then again, that's Sheridan. He's the Paragon. There's also Garibaldi, the Renegade. :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Heh...I just watched one episode of B5, saw the rubber headgear and spots on the aliens to make them different from people, the Last Starfighter special effects, the whole 'we're different from Star Trek...really!' vibe and said no thanks...Maybe I should have stuck around to see the live action version of ME in its entirety.

Achilles

Arcane
commie

I recommend you continue watching. The first and half of the second season are not so great, but it picks up significantly after that. The effects get much better too. Seasons 3 and 4 are fantastic.

Monk

Arcane
Some articles refer to the ending as "soul-crushing." The problem isn't that it's "soul-crushing." It's that decisions made throughout the game don't matter because the ending is the same, and that makes this a poorly made game.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Angthoron

Arcane
commie

I recommend you continue watching. The first and half of the second season are not so great, but it picks up significantly after that. The effects get much better too. Seasons 3 and 4 are fantastic.

Thanks, will do.
Yeah, I can only recommend the same. It's a great series once it takes off properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom