Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
Remember that Bioware promised to eat the cupcakes, in other words, they lied again!

I also doubt mariacaliban ever heard of Swordcraft Story, despite it having more guts than Bioware did with JE (On screen kisses, marriage proposals, multiple girls to choose from, NOT being copy-paste of hetro romance. Oh and the gameplay didn't suck.).

RPGMaster

Savant
Banned. Again.

The offending post?

we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

Congrats. These are the most ridiculously deluded and hubristic lines of writing I have ever read.

And that was me trying to be civil.

:thumbsup:

RPGMaster

Savant
3XkfO.png

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BioWare is like some kind of fucked up police state. I seriously cannot even comprehend what kind of sick "logic" causes a developer to preach tolerance and equity while also banning, censoring and otherwise eliminating any people or content that critiques them in any substantial way.

Angthoron

Arcane
BioWare is like some kind of fucked up police state. I seriously cannot even comprehend what kind of sick "logic" causes a developer to preach tolerance and equity while also banning, censoring and otherwise eliminating any people or content that critiques them in any substantial way.
Isn't that how all the ultra-liberals work? If you're not with them on their flower-sniffing, anus-bleaching crusade, they'll bomb you the shit down or lock you up in jail. Seems consistent to me.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Has anyone made the Trayvon Martin/Catalyst + George Zimmerman/Shepard connection yet?

Martin: Choose a color, Zimmerman, decide how the world ends *opens pack of Skittles*

Zimmerman: Not on my watch *Renegade option*

Oesophagus

Arcane

Surprised Bioware still hasn't pulled the "you're all just homophobes" card on their critics. I'm pretty sure their lithuanian henchmen would be on the ball. I think so far they've only derped about how ME3's portrayal of homosexuals is a cultural revolution on a par with the civil rights movement's march on Washington

Father Walker

Potato Ranger

Ironically, it makes perfect sense.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't that how all the ultra-liberals work? If you're not with them on their flower-sniffing, anus-bleaching crusade, they'll bomb you the shit down or lock you up in jail. Seems consistent to me.
It is how ultra-anythings work. Such is zealotry.

There is no one involved in this whole mess that isn't coming off as completely ridiculous, from Bioware, to their critics to their defenders.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, that didn't come as a surprise. Caliban is The Proto-BioDrone since forever.
Tell me mor-

Wouldn't that be the pretty princess?
Nah bro, Volly is Volly. Caliban, AFAIK, has been a vocal defender of almost all Bioware design decisions since Day 1 and a very active poster on their forums. The perfect example of a "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"-Biodrone.

LoPan

Learned
I also doubt mariacaliban ever heard of Swordcraft Story, despite it having more guts than Bioware did with JE (On screen kisses, marriage proposals, multiple girls to choose from, NOT being copy-paste of hetro romance. Oh and the gameplay didn't suck.).

The Swordcraft Story lesbian romance was very touching, though if I recall correctly the main character was pre-pubescent or at her oldest was in early puberty, but then again it did kind of roll with that young, innocent love thing; point is, the romance was simple but effective and goodness knows it seemed plausible if only because the characters showed to at least possess the basic range of human emotion, and of course they also seemed to be driven by motivations and intentions.

As romances go the problem seems rather to be that Bioware can't write sentient beings or structure them within a story. Even though Sheps is fully voiced I'd be damned if anyone could say what Sheps is like as a person, same goes for all Bioware protagonists. This is fine in most games, but in a game that is supposedly about romance and meaningful dialogue-driven interaction you can't really have a blank player-character since you can't reasonably supply enough choice in dialogue and reaction to make that blank slate a projection of the player. Mass Effect is the worst offender in this so far because the entire trilogy is built on the idea that not only is Sheps special, Sheps makes the entirety of humanity a unique, glorious anomaly of organic sentient mass and yet Sheps is not a human being but a blank slate without means of expressing itself and so molded by the player into a character, not even within the imagination of the player unless that imagination is the kind that goes through the game looking for reasons it was all a dream.

I tried playing ME2 recently, after having failed playing ME1, and it is astounding how Bioware seem to set out from the off with the intention of not telling a story, or really do much of anything. All the elements are curiously isolated; everyone speaks in turns; Sheps never moves except to sit down or lean yet everyone else is pacing and turning several times over in a single spoken sentence; they have yet to advance their engines ability to display emotions and states of mind (the addition of crying doesn't count) and yet they have a reckless compulsion for close-ups of faces which--in the best of times--emote through a swamp of botox. In Mass Effect especially, Bioware appears to have designed a game not knowing the limitations of their own engine.

deuxhero

Arcane

The Swordcraft Story lesbian romance was very touching, though if I recall correctly the main character was pre-pubescent or at her oldest was in early puberty, but then again it did kind of roll with that young, innocent love thing; point is, the romance was simple but effective and goodness knows it seemed plausible if only because the characters showed to at least possess the basic range of human emotion, and of course they also seemed to be driven by motivations and intentions.

She's under 16 though math and explicitly under 18, but that's all that is made clear. But hey, girls hit puberty earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom