Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
A deus ex machina is a machine that can play Deus Ex, the famous Ion Storm first-person action-roleplaying computer video game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"A deus ex machina : "god out of the machine" is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object."

The anti reaper weapon' is intropduced at the start of ME3. In fact, the story of the agme is largely build around you finishing it. A real deus ex machina would be introcued in the alst few minutes of said game out of nowhere. This isn't the case here.

btw, This doesn't mean the crucible is interesting or good in terms of story or whatnot. In fact, imo, it was a cop out plot wise for BIO, but it is NOT a deus ex machina. Anyone who thinks it is obnviously doesn't know what the phrase actually means.

P.S. EA is so 'horrible' that people still keep giving them their money. LMFAO

People are fukkin' stupid.

EA is far from the worst company.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I've 'defended' EA for decades. EA makes fun games. Their sports games are the best there was, the best there is, the best there ever will be. And, they haven't remained as popular and succssful aas theya re if custoemrs thought they were worthy of buying. R00fles!

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
EA's only area of sports dominance where they have competition (madden doensn't count) is FIFA. They did a motherfucking amazing job with FIFA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"NBA 2K series > EA basketball."

If I agree with this statement.. does that make me smart?

EA has dominated football (both tyopes), NHL, baseball (not always soemtimes other games do better), basketball (at times), and hockey. They ar every consistent in putting out fun sports products. the fact they can make me enjoy soccer in the past says soemthing. Still, overall, barring some exception, EA is plainly fukkin' awesome at sports games. Outsuide of them now controlling BIO, I don't give a shit about their other games too much.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
No nude James mod? FFS!
Why what's wrong with Cortez? or Kaidan?

Anomen/Carth/Kaiden ALWAYS dies when I play Mass Effect. Always.

As for Cortez I did do the full romance with him, but had to keep a vomit bucket near by. But I HATE MEN WITH BLUE EYES! Fuck them! Fuck them all (Yes, real life butthurt and BROKEN HEART detected).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
EA's only area of sports dominance where they have competition (madden doensn't count) is FIFA. They did a motherfucking amazing job with FIFA.
They still haven't beaten PES 5 and PES 6 in my books. FIFA may look and feel fucking great but it doesn't have the same lasting value. The same could be said about pretty much every EA (sports) game out there: it's fun for a while but it starts to feel hollow pretty fast. It might be because the games are made by people without souls.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
No nude James mod? FFS!
Why what's wrong with Cortez? or Kaidan?

As for Cortez I did do the full romance with him, but had to keep a vomit bucket near by. But I HATE MEN WITH BLUE EYES! Fuck them! Fuck them all (Yes, real life butthurt and BROKEN HEART detected).
Did you play the KotOR mod/restoration which allows you to kill Carth?

Angthoron

Arcane
"A deus ex machina : "god out of the machine" is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object."

The anti reaper weapon' is intropduced at the start of ME3. In fact, the story of the agme is largely build around you finishing it. A real deus ex machina would be introcued in the alst few minutes of said game out of nowhere. This isn't the case here.

btw, This doesn't mean the crucible is interesting or good in terms of story or whatnot. In fact, imo, it was a cop out plot wise for BIO, but it is NOT a deus ex machina. Anyone who thinks it is obnviously doesn't know what the phrase actually means.

P.S. EA is so 'horrible' that people still keep giving them their money. LMFAO

People are fukkin' stupid.

EA is far from the worst company.
Oh, hah, I didn't even think about the anti-reaper weapon.

Now, I've not played the game, obviously, but:
1) Catalyst (No, I don't consider Intro Kid to be an acceptable intro to the "character")
2) Indoctrination (If there is one)
3) The manner in which the anti-reaper weapon works (ie 2whateverth century human cannonball) and associated protagonist death via becoming an ammo round. "I want to be an ammo"
4) Merging synth/organic
are all introduced pretty much before the end if I understand that correctly. As I said though, this is just based on this thread so maybe a couple of plotpoints are actually introduced before.

And eh, any company will be as horrible as they're permitted to get away with. It's cheaper to be horrible than excellent so most will try to find the lowest acceptable level before evening out or improving slightly.

Unfortunately EA customers are dumbfucks with too much money and standards so low that even an amoeba wouldn't break a sweat climbing THAT moral curve.

If amoebas would climb and not float or whatever it is the fuckers do.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Just played the Shadow Broker DLC. It was the most :retarded: mission I played in ME (didn't play ME3... yet).

Kashrlyyk

Scholar

The definition I use is: DEUS EX MACHINA (from Greek theos apo mechanes): An unrealistic or unexpected intervention to rescue the protagonists or resolve the story's conflict. From: http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_D.html
The crucible is a deus ex machina because it doesn't follow from the story it is just sprung onto the players at the start of the game as a sudden rescue from the reapers. No hints towards it in TWO games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anomen and Carth suck. Hard. But Kaidan :love:
(even though I always hear Carth in his voice. fucking Carth)

As for Cortez I did do the full romance with him, but had to keep a vomit bucket near by.
:lol: I thought his general arc with non-romance was bad enough, why the bucket? Is the romance even sappier?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom