Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The definition I use is: DEUS EX MACHINA (from Greek theos apo mechanes): An unrealistic or unexpected intervention to rescue the protagonists or resolve the story's conflict. From: http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_D.html
The crucible is a deus ex machina because it doesn't follow from the story it is just sprung onto the players at the start of the game as a sudden rescue from the reapers. No hints towards it in TWO games."

Bullshit. The netire technology level of the ME universe is bassed off ancient tech that is found by the current races. Even older than the Protheans. From the Citedal to the reapers themselves to everything else. The crucible is just another ancient tech that is lost and then found again which has been a big part of ME from the start. Sorry, dude, don't be a moran and actually know waht the terms mean.

A deus ex machina is when soemthing out of nowhere saves the day. That's not how this worked.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Take your dating sim shitposting to a forum where someone gives a fuck about how much online store experience you have and save this for meaningful posts about how hilariously bad bioware is.
It's a free Codex, I'll post whatever I want.

Besides... there are 259 PAGES on how hilariously bad Bioware is. And you want more? What kind of masochist are you?

Also, "meaningful posts" in this thread? Lulz. I'm sure you go looking for meaningful posts in the Big Bang thread too.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar

A deus ex machina is when something out of nowhere saves the day. That's not how this worked.
That is exactly what the fucking thing does! A lost technology that happens to be found just when there is barely enough time to complete it and it will destroy the unbeatable alien forces. If Mass Effect 3 were the only game then you would have a point. But it is the last part in a series and there is NOTHING pointing towards its existence in the earlier games. In the last act of the drama the solution to the problem is coming out of the blue, there is no story development towars it or anything. That is what happens when you write a triology as three separated games without an overarching storyline.

They could have gone with hundred of millions of engineers and scientist analyzing and researching Souvereign's weapons and armos and upgrading the fleet to be reaper killers. The council could have hinted towards something like that in ME 2 and with that dispelling their strawman politician status, but then what would Shepard do in ME3? I am sure good writers could have found something for him/her to do. Bioware couldn't.

Regdar

Arcane
x2OvQ.png

Turns out there really were 16 endings. Bioware is the best!:codexisfor:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
As for Cortez I did do the full romance with him, but had to keep a vomit bucket near by. But I HATE MEN WITH BLUE EYES! Fuck them! Fuck them all (Yes, real life butthurt and BROKEN HEART detected).
:(:hug:

Anyway, I did a search and don't think this has been posted yet:
STEEEEVE!

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
LOL! That was hilarious! It reminds of captain planet and the planeteers. Incredibly awkward. It wouldn't surprise me if the ending DLC went along those lines :eek:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Holy shit someone just beat Volly into speechlessness "

Youa re retarted. he beat nothing but his own meat. His 'arhument' is retarted and is illogical. It is not a deus ex machina. Don't be a moran.

TNO

Augur
Bros, I've suddenly had a flash of inspiration about how the Reaper's motivation could actually make sense. Listen up:

According to the small kid, the big problem is organic life gets sufficiently advanced, builds a machine race, which then roflstomps all organic life and that would be that. So what the reapers can be seen as doing is 'pruning' these advanced organic races before they get far enough to do that. The benefit of doing so is that there are continual 'cycles' of organic life up until this machine singularity point, and although it sucks to be wiped out, at least these organic lifeforms got to live many generations which wouldn't have happened had the machines tiled the galaxy in paperclips or whatever. So if you 'like' keeping organic life around, then reaping them (especially to make more of you) is not completely crazy - it is the maximizing-organic life option if they really will inevitably make the next terminator.

Of course, there are a few teething troubles
  1. This motivation has been pulled from nowhere in the final scene of the game.
  2. This almost humanitarian (if uber-renegade) final solution doesn't really gel with the sadistic/pantomime villain characterization of the reapers.
  3. Why do the reapers find organic life valuable for its own sake? Why not just make the right robo-race for whatever they want out of the universe, and let them tile the galaxy to their hearts content?
  4. It seems pretty implausible that there is no possible way of stopping a machine race than wiping out the organics before they get that far. If the reapers are powerful enough to wipe out all organic life as a periodic routine, why can't the reapers just hang around in galaxy on patrol and kill the nascent robo-exterminators as they spring up instead of every single advanced sapient race?
  5. The whole catalyst thing still makes no sense, as does your final RGB choice.
But still, it might be marginally better than "yo, I heard you'll get killed by synthetics, so we'll kill you prophylactically!" etc. Still, these rationalizations are pretty futile given the sheer wasteland which is the rest of the narrative.

You can't fail much more at writing when your ending so awful your fans cling to the hope it really is "and he woke up and it was all a dream".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bros, I've suddenly had a flash of inspiration about how the Reaper's motivation could actually make sense.
You forgot one little detail in your analysis: the only reason all the sentient species get sufficiently advanced in the first place is by finding the conveniently-abandoned Mass Effect/Eezo/Citadel/Relays/etc technology. Which, in the first place, was built and left there by...

Yeah.

The ending for Mass Effect 3 was awesome. People are morans.
Now go post this on BSN and watch the fireworks.

TNO

Augur
Sceptic said:
You forgot one little detail in your analysis: the only reason all the sentient species get sufficiently advanced in the first place is by finding the conveniently-abandoned Mass Effect/Eezo/Citadel/Relays/etc technology. Which, in the first place, was built and left there by...

Yeah.

Sure, but maybe that's a way of making sure the organics never 'secretly' progress to making these killer synthetics, so the reapers can keep tabs on them and...

Screw it. I feel like a defense attorney at narratological nuremburg.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
....The benefit of doing so is that there are continual 'cycles' of organic life up until this machine singularity point....
Which is the crucial point where the idea breaks apart. Hiding in the dark space outside the Milky Way is actually counterproductive towards their claimed goal. It would be much better if they just patrolled the space between the inhabited planets and just prevent anything problematic early on. It is not logical to prevent a crisis by waiting until it is close to actually occur.

Gord

Arcane
Bros, I've suddenly had a flash of inspiration about how the Reaper's motivation could actually make sense.
Yeah.

Well, to Bioware's credit, in ME1 Sovereign did state that the whole mass relay network and element 0 stuff was left to make sure the sentient races developed in a direction they wanted and could control. So who knows, there might be other possible ways of development that would make it more difficult for the Reapers to pull off their shit.

But as has been stated, the problem with this theory is simply that it would indeed make so much more sense to hang around and just curb any rising machine races before they could even potentially become a thread - or threaten only those races with extinction that set out to make something like that.
Bioware could have gone the Babylon 5 route there, with Reapers secretly pulling the strings behind major historical events and galactical politics to prevent just that.

However, it seems to me that the best thing would have been simply to forget this concept altogether instead of introducing it in the last few minutes of the game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I probably missed something here since I didn't play the turd but I'm sort-of confused about the implications about part of the ending.

1) Reapers built the ass erect relays.
2) The ass erect relays explode
3) Shepard can (in one of the colour-codings) ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of the reapers
4) Everyone is now isolated 'cause their space macguffins blew up.

But given 1+3, what's keeping Shepard from making the reapers - who presumably have the technology and means - rebuild the relays?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom