Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

DraQ

Arcane
It's like peeing at children, then yelling that you have a condition when their parents try to stop you.
So... codexian :singletear:
EA shitting on Christianity? :incline:
:salute:

Massive incline of Priestly at least, though it might be just that his gravitational potential has finally overflown and rolled over.

Again, he has NO social skills (as he repeadetly demonstrates with his stupid "lockdown" phrase) and is a fucking community manager. Why does he get paid?
Totally unlike writers who cannot write and designers who cannot design, right?

Turjan

Arcane
It's time for Bioware to say something outrageous again. How else do they want to keep this thread on page 1 till summer?

RPGMaster

Savant
32zsvev.jpg

This trannie would ban the entire codex. :lol:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/how-to-talk-to-a-tranny/Content?oid=1145725
"'Tranny' sounds cutesy and dismissive and is, therefore, a bit disrespectful," says Lanham, who named the workshop "How to Talk to a Tranny" as an example of what not to say.

Other no-no's include asking a trans person about his or her sex life or genitals and whether or not he or she has had gender reassignment surgery or is taking hormones.

"Most people ask inappropriate questions, and most often, they ask about genitals," says Darlene Fike, an intersexed person who identifies as female. "Even if they're asking how far along I am in transition, that's actually a question about my genitals."

http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender
PROBLEMATIC TERMS

Problematic: "transgenders," "a transgender"
Preferred: "transgender people," "a transgender person"
Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, "Tony is a transgender," or "The parade included many transgenders." Instead say, "Tony is a transgender man," or "The parade included many transgender people."

Problematic: "transgendered"
Preferred: "transgender"
The adjective transgender should never have an extraneous "-ed" tacked onto the end. An "-ed" suffix adds unnecessary length to the word and can cause tense confusion and grammatical errors. For example, it is grammatically incorrect to turn transgender into a participle, as it is an adjective, not a verb, and only verbs can be used as participles by adding an "-ed" suffix.

Problematic: "sex change," "pre-operative," "post-operative"
Preferred: "transition"
Referring to a sex change operation, or using terms such as pre- or post-operative, inaccurately suggests that one must have surgery in order to transition. Avoid overemphasizing surgery when discussing transgender people or the process of transition.

DEFAMATORY TERMS

Defamatory: "deceptive," "fooling," "pretending," "posing" or "masquerading"
Gender identity is an integral part of a person's identity. Do not characterize transgender people as "deceptive," as "fooling" other people, or as "pretending" to be, "posing" or "masquerading" as a man or a woman. Such descriptions are defamatory and insulting.

Defamatory: "she-male," "he-she," "it," "trannie," "tranny," "shim," "gender-bender"
These words only serve to dehumanize transgender people and should not be used.

Defamatory: "bathroom bill"
A new term created and used by far-right extremists to oppose non-discrimination laws that protect transgender people. The term is geared to incite fear and panic at the thought of encountering transgender people in public restrooms. Use non-discrimination law/ordinance instead.

there bros now you are ready to post on BSN

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Honestly, what's wrong with "tranny"? Maybe it's a cultural thing, but it has more of a playful and burlesque connotation for me, summoning images of Rocky Horror Picture Show, and other fun stuff. Why is it so bad? Because we're not solemnly declaring our undying respect for the transgender people? And my spell-checker just underlined "transgender".

Anyway, "fag" was initially a much more aggressive and demeaning term, but nowadays like half the Internet self-identifies as fags for one thing or another, so it essentially became a synonym for "a person who really likes something", which sounds pretty great for all the homosexuals out there. But according to these PC-commissars, this is awful, and the word "fag" constitutes awful hate speech, preferably punishable by law.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Honestly, what's wrong with "tranny"? Maybe it's a cultural thing, but it has more of a playful and burlesque connotation for me, summoning images of Rocky Horror Picture Show, and other fun stuff. Why is it so bad? Because we're not solemnly declaring our undying respect for the transgender people? And my spell-checker just underlined "transgender".

Anyway, "fag" was initially a much more aggressive and demeaning term, but nowadays like half the Internet self-identifies as fags for one thing or another, so it essentially became a synonym for "a person who really likes something", which sounds pretty great for all the homosexuals out there. But according to these PC-commissars, this is awful, and the word "fag" constitutes awful hate speech, preferably punishable by law.
Nigga you a fag.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well, it's worth noting that real life does not really relate to the way things are on the internet. If people went around interacting with real people the way they interact with people on the internet, they would be getting the shit beaten out of them daily.

That said, tranny doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. I'd never heard "shim" before though. PC websites really are the best places to hear new derogatory terms!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
john shepard

http://tvwiki.tv/wiki/Gay_slang
Butt Pirate
Derogatory term for gay males. Has potential to be reclaimed as positive, given current positive cultural connotations surrounding pirates.

:salute:

http://tvwiki.tv/wiki/Radical_Faeries
Radical Faeries hold that the Queer soul is linked with the natural world, that Queerfolk are called by the Good Goddess to be gatekeepers to the spirit world. As a sign of this spirit connection, many Radical Faeries take a ritual name, known as a Faerie Name. This tradition is inspired by the Native American “Medicine Name” tradition, where a shaman gives spiritually significant individuals a Medicine name. In the Native American traditions, a shaman always bestowed Medicine Names upon initiates; one does not choose it. The Faerie Name tradition is similar, however, Radical Faeries frequently choose their own Faerie Names.

The concept of Queer people as a nation apart drove Hay's thinking from early on. The African American liberation movement provided models of how to think about society's subgroups. Radical Faeries ask: Who are Queer people? What are we for? Faeries see "Queer space" as a kind of magical spiritual arena of possibility, in which consciousness and events develop in a fundamentally different and authentic fashion.

dragon age 3 is gonna be p. complex

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I recommend backing up your brian

bros after you've gotten your fill of the cosplay manager lady I don't recommend further viewing

because of the rampant cheering and delighted laughter that follows everything mike laidlaw says

"...maybe let's go somewhere new, somewhere a little more...french." (massive applause)
"...because they have cheeses." (laughter)

"So uh, decisions that matter, well that's kinda of an interesting thing, cos uh, well I can't talk uh 'well what are the decisi-', uh without spoiling stuff, but I think uh, in essence yeah, we will absolutely make sure we're delivering...including your previous games." (cheering)

LoPan

Learned

Could be because words like 'tranny' and 'fag' have a certain cacophony in their phonoaesthetics, which of course is also what makes them fun to use. Seems plausible the reason Americans say 'cocksucker' and 'motherfucker' and the British and Irish prefer swear words such as 'wanker' and 'bloody' and 'tosser' is because each sounds harsher in their respective dialects. The intention of the user, and perhaps the personal preference of the receiver, is really what matters and, as I'm sure few would disagree, not the variable meaning of the word itself. The idea that there are universal rules to these things is quite silly. Personally I prefer the 'harsher' words, they seem more honest and make you feel like you're not a bush of roses everyone has to avoid playing ball around and use as an emergency toilet for fear the owner--Mr. Jenkins--will spring on you with a rake and an empty life.

My personal favourite derogatory term is rump ranger, followed by semen shipper.
I am partial to butt buccaneer, personally.

You're blowing my mind here fellas, to live a life devoid of these alliterations--by jove I can't fathom my managing it.

LoPan

Learned
by jove I can't fathom my managing it.

crevice congressman
fey fathomer
he-horn harrower
jimmy jailer
manhole manager
willy warden

I don't get it, these are all legitimate professions. My father was a crevice congressman, educated at the University of Hardknocks, and my mother went out all the time telling me she warded willies for a living, she even had a part-time job managing manholes. Really, I think you got this all turned about old horse.

RPGMaster

Savant
"So uh, decisions that matter, well that's kinda of an interesting thing, cos uh, well I can't talk uh 'well what are the decisi-', uh without spoiling stuff, but I think uh, in essence yeah, we will absolutely make sure we're delivering...including your previous games." (cheering)

I thought you were comedically paraphrasing there. I didn't realise a public speaker could be so stumbling and incoherent. Woody Allen's speech pattern isn't that bad and that's an act!

Deleted member 7219

hurr hurr i like dis fred

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom