Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

kazgar

Arcane
Storyboard for the extending ending DLC thingo leaked.

f28KM.jpg

Peter

Arcane
Ok, can someone explain where these infamous videos are from? Seems to be some kinda shitty public access TV show, but what's the fucking point of it???

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Ok, can someone explain where these infamous videos are from? Seems to be some kinda shitty public access TV show, but what's the fucking point of it???
Retard Poetry Open Mic stuff I guess. The dude in the back/middle is the guy who did that sweet ass Elvis video I think.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Making fun of disabled people is...outside the scope of this topic at the very least.

The only thing this video has to do with BioWare foums is just the title of the video.

Yeah lol I was just stunned at what actual real life event those videos are for.

Like holy shit. And people wonder why I say the mentally ill should be put down. (no nazi)

Vival

Erudite
Looks like Mass Effect 4 (with slight changes to the setting) is already in the making.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It looks like they really caught the essence of what Star Trek is about: exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and civilizations, and then blasting them into oblivion with intense ground combat. I'm sure this will be as great as all of the other Star Trek games.

Hopefully they will give renegade options as well as a new, gritty, and realistic interpretation of the inner workings of the Federation for maximum Star Trek experience.

Multi-headed Cow

It looks like they really caught the essence of what Star Trek is about: exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and civilizations, and then blasting them into oblivion with intense ground combat. I'm sure this will be as great as all of the other Star Trek games.

Hopefully they will give renegade options as well as a new, gritty, and realistic interpretation of the inner workings of the Federation for maximum Star Trek experience.
Are you kidding? The new movies are set in original series. Kirk goes full Shepards all the time, fucking and killing aliens indiscriminately while laughing at the prime directive and Spock raises his eyebrows and Scotty gets beat up all the goddamn time.
When he's not busy murdering women on a pleasure planet.

Star Trek. Cheesy but still miles better than Mass Effect. :bounce:

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Are you kidding? The new movies are set in original series. Kirk goes full Shepards all the time, fucking and killing aliens indiscriminately while laughing at the prime directive and Spock raises his eyebrows and Scotty gets beat up all the goddamn time.

Well, to be fair, no one ever followed the Prime Directive when the writers demanded it. Even Picard. I distinctly recall him driving around in a dune buggy on a pre warp planet for no reason.

Renegade is all about "the ends justify the means" which is inherently not Star Trek. Kirk would never have killed off the Rachni because they might be a threat (see "The Devil in the Dark"), or chosen a side in the Geth/Quarian conflict. He would be perfectly willing to let them fight (see "A Taste of Armageddon"), or balance out any imbalance caused by those damn Klingons, but he would be doing it out of the hope that the horror of war would convince them to stop. Kirk even negotiated a peace with the Kelvans who turned his crew into Hexagons.

Having sex with aliens is hardly Renegade despite what Mass Effect says. For that matter, neither is being straight.

Also, Scotty was possessed by Jack the Ripper, for all we know he has never killed a hooker in his spare time. Although, judging by his later physique, he may have eaten a few.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I find the trailer to be shit, might be related to me not being a trekkie starfaggot but that's generic popamole footage and they're apparently trying to show as less as possible... and of course, they fuck it up

LoPan

Learned

Well, to be fair, no one ever followed the Prime Directive when the writers demanded it. Even Picard. I distinctly recall him driving around in a dune buggy on a pre warp planet for no reason.

The dune buggy bit was in Star Trek Nemesis, so it doesn't count because nothing happened for a reason in Star Trek Nemesis, at least not a good reason. Whatever I just saw in that trailer does seem like a load of Nemesis rubbish, a warped idea--JJ Abrams style--of what made Star Trek interesting. Not unlike Bioware's warped idea of what makes space an interesting setting.

Multi-headed Cow

Renegade is all about "the ends justify the means" which is inherently not Star Trek. Kirk would never have killed off the Rachni because they might be a threat (see "The Devil in the Dark"), or chosen a side in the Geth/Quarian conflict. He would be perfectly willing to let them fight (see "A Taste of Armageddon"), or balance out any imbalance caused by those damn Klingons, but he would be doing it out of the hope that the horror of war would convince them to stop. Kirk even negotiated a peace with the Kelvans who turned his crew into Hexagons.

Having sex with aliens is hardly Renegade despite what Mass Effect says. For that matter, neither is being straight.

Also, Scotty was possessed by Jack the Ripper, for all we know he has never killed a hooker in his spare time. Although, judging by his later physique, he may have eaten a few.
Kirk made the hortas a slave race to the Federation! Seems pretty renegade to me, bro. Instead of going "Oh Jesus we killed their babies we're monsters let's get out of here this is a dark moment for the Federation" he goes "lol you dig and we take minerals".
And for A Taste of Armageddon, he wasn't willing to let them fight as they had normally. Their whole thing was computer simulated wars and people marked as casualties willingly reporting to a suicide booth. Kirk fucked it up and went "lol actually fight or stop fighting at all" instead of letting them do their thing. Though I guess since they were spacefaring (I guess? Don't remember them having any ships, but it was two planets fighting (I think, oh god what if I'm misremembering)) Kirk had more freedom to fuck around.
And for "Balancing out the imbalance" caused by klingons, what about "A Private Little War"? Kirk's answer is to give all the supposedly peaceful aliens guns, instead of using his goddamn starship to either kill the single tribe the Klingons had fucked with, or stunning all of them and destroying the guns while they sleep. KIIIIIIIIIRK!
And finally for the Kelvans, the only reason he negotiated peace with them is because they got "Infected" by taking human form and Scotty got one pissed and Kirk used his Canadian bacon musk on the woman. The aliens were technically in control the whole time, and changed their minds and decided to go back to chilling on the planet instead of reporting back to their homeworld.

And I never said having sex with aliens was renegade, I said it was Shepards!

And I know, I was just being silly with Scotty because that episode made me laugh. Though most episodes do, so what the hell.

what the fuck am i doing talking about star trek like this. oh god i can feel my beard growing

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Kirk made the hortas a slave race to the Federation! Seems pretty renegade to me, bro. Instead of going "Oh Jesus we killed their babies we're monsters let's get out of here this is a dark moment for the Federation" he goes "lol you dig and we take minerals".
And for A Taste of Armageddon, he wasn't willing to let them fight as they had normally. Their whole thing was computer simulated wars and people marked as casualties willingly reporting to a suicide booth. Kirk fucked it up and went "lol actually fight or stop fighting at all" instead of letting them do their thing. Though I guess since they were spacefaring (I guess? Don't remember them having any ships, but it was two planets fighting (I think, oh god what if I'm misremembering)) Kirk had more freedom to fuck around.
And for "Balancing out the imbalance" caused by klingons, what about "A Private Little War"? Kirk's answer is to give all the supposedly peaceful aliens guns, instead of using his goddamn starship to either kill the single tribe the Klingons had fucked with, or stunning all of them and destroying the guns while they sleep. KIIIIIIIIIRK!
And finally for the Kelvans, the only reason he negotiated peace with them is because they got "Infected" by taking human form and Scotty got one pissed and Kirk used his Canadian bacon musk on the woman. The aliens were technically in control the whole time, and changed their minds and decided to go back to chilling on the planet instead of reporting back to their homeworld.

And I never said having sex with aliens was renegade, I said it was Shepards!

And I know, I was just being silly with Scotty because that episode made me laugh. Though most episodes do, so what the hell.

what the fuck am i doing talking about star trek like this. oh god i can feel my beard growing

If I recall, the Horta were only asked to relay any information about minerals they find as they naturally tunnel through the stone, and the Horta agreed to the proposal. Also, while I can see a renegade element to what Kirk did in A Taste of Armageddon, the casualties were legally required to report to the booths. It was not voluntary and, as the episode showed, even applied to those who were in no way involved in the simulated attacks. Kirk destroyed the system because his crew was set to be terminated (since they had died as bystanders in the simulation), but also because the system was agreed to as a real war would be too devastating. With the system destroyed, all sides were too terrified to fight, and the eternal, deadly wargames had to stop. It was risky, but it was self defence. And the conventional weapons were set to fire anyways if Kirk's crew was not terminated.

As for "A Private Little War," I was actually referring to that episode. But thinking back on it, that was a bad idea. Mostly because the episode makes no sense. Why are the Klingons arming random tribals with flintlock pistols? Surely they don't want to turn them into a client state to fight the Federation with these things. Will they give them helicopters to fight starships? I can only conclude that Klingons are wandering assholes who only live to ruin everything. After I remembered this, I had to do a bit more research. It turns out that Kirk actually believes that the Prime Directive forces him to arm the opposition. So, in an attempt at a hamfisted cold war reference, the writers have made Kirk a full Paragon game ++. That is almost as bad as the one where Abraham Lincoln fought and beat Genghis Khan.

As for the Kelvans, that is true enough. But I think that Shepard still would have collar grabbed them after they crushed that one hexagon-ed red shirt.

Finally, I am afriad it is too late to stop the beard: you are posting on a site called RPG Codex. Don't fight it.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Ah yes, you are right about Vietnam. It still makes little sense within universe though--unless the Klingon's have god-like patience. The people of that planet were tribal and therefore could not be numerous enough for cannon fodder. Not only that, but they had no ability to field resources off planet. Saying that they could field resources across a country sized piece of land would be stretching it. In the event of an open war between the Klingon Empire and the Federation, these tribals would not be able to contribute unless the Klingons gave them starships. At that point, Klingons would be taking away valuable resources from their own army and giving them to a people who had just been using spears.

EDIT: Ah, disregard that. I forgot that this episode takes place after the Peace Treaty of the Organians. Whichever power is able to best develop a planet gets it. So the Federation would not be able to intervene if the Klingons turned it into a staging area.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ex-Bioware Writer Employee explains Quarian origins
He wrote up to Mass Effect 2 before leaving.

Q: Why did the Quarians never settle on another planet? There are billions of stars in the galaxy, there has to be another planet that's close enough to Rannoch.

A:
"Why did so many Jews carry a torch for Israel for thousands of years? There are hundreds of deserts in the world, there has to be another one that's close enough to the Levant."
Those silly Jews, just get over the loss the Holy Land and settle down on Long Island.

Emotional beings don't always make rational decisions.

Q: Did you really have to compare the fate of a fictional race to the plight of the Jews?
A:
The Jewish Diaspora was one of my inspirations when I was writing about the quarians in ME1 and ME2, though it's rarely overt. The ship, system, and planet names I contributed were built with Hebrew phonemes. Listen to how Legion pronounces the "och" of "Rannoch" in ME2 - the VO notes expressly asked DC Douglas to pronounce it like a Hebrew phrase. The prayer used to open Rael'Zorah's trial directly paraphrases a Jewish blessing:

"Blessed are the Ancestors who kept us alive, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season. Keelah se'lai."
"Blessed are You, Lord, God, King of the Universe, who gave us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season."

SF writers take inspiration from real life, film at eleven.

I had no hand in ME3, but there was a very clear parallel in the earlier games. When quarians weren't being ghettoized by other species, they were isolating themselves to maintain their cultural identity. They kept their own counsel, relied on their own strength, and dreamed of a return to their Homeland. Yes, there's also Romani in there with the mobile fleet, but I preferred to emphasize the Jewish aspects - the bits that emphasized the antiquity and strength of their cultural identity, their practical approach to life, and the mystical leanings of their philosophy (the ship captain's blessing, the prayers that open and close the trial).

EDIT: And also - duh - the closeness of family and the importance of community bonds. I tried to get that in from the very first moments of Migrant Fleet in ME2 (I did the first draft, Patrick Weekes did extensive rewrites) - the fleet controller doesn't just say, "identity confirmed." He says, "Welcome home, Tali'Zorah."

Multi-headed Cow

Is this Topic about Star Faggots instead of Ass Affect from now on?

IF Yes its.......................................:incline:
-Space-Dog-The-Enemy-Within-star-trek-the-original-series-6352214-694-530.jpg

I hereby vote to rename this "The Star Trek Thread!" as it has been renamed many times already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom