Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think Gaider also wrote Irenicus, for what it's worth. At least, he claims that's the case. His writing has taken a pretty steep downward turn since KotOR though, culminating in Emo McSobbypants in DA2.

Angthoron

Arcane
I think Gaider also wrote Irenicus, for what it's worth. At least, he claims that's the case. His writing has taken a pretty steep downward turn since KotOR though, culminating in Emo McSobbypants in DA2.
Eh, while many people like Irenicus, I can't really sympathize with the notion. Even back when I played it the first time, his character felt like one of the weaker aspects of the story. Granted, there are some interesting things about him as well, such as the whole plan to steal the souls. Unfortunately, the whole Irenicus/Bhaal thing is completely tits, and the cutscenes with Irenicus and Imoen could've best been completely left out as they do nothing for the story.

Oesophagus

Arcane
bro I think Mr Levine understands very well

it's just that Bioshock got him the acclaim that System Shock 2 never did so he's probably in the midst of david gaidering himself full time into the decline like jeff vogel did for his rpgs except on a much more fanboyed about scale

Yup, another one bites the dust. I think acclaim is the easiest way to ruin a video game developer.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
bro I think Mr Levine understands very well

it's just that Bioshock got him the acclaim that System Shock 2 never did so he's probably in the midst of david gaidering himself full time into the decline like jeff vogel did for his rpgs except on a much more fanboyed about scale

Yup, another one bites the dust. I think acclaim is the easiest way to ruin a video game developer.
Acclaim_Entertainment_Logo.png

Truth.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Eh, while many people like Irenicus, I can't really sympathize with the notion. Even back when I played it the first time, his character felt like one of the weaker aspects of the story. Granted, there are some interesting things about him as well, such as the whole plan to steal the souls. Unfortunately, the whole Irenicus/Bhaal thing is completely tits, and the cutscenes with Irenicus and Imoen could've best been completely left out as they do nothing for the story.
:salute:

Irenicus is vastly overrated.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
They wanted to see how a babby is formed?

I'm simply shocked at how bioware advocates violence towards children at the end of mass effect 2

fucking hypocrites

where's the option to calm it down and rehabilitate it into a productive member of the galaxy

life begins at conception

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Irenicus is vastly overrated.
But Warner's work on the VO is not.

And there are elements to the characterization early on that hinted at something potentially interesting (like his obsession with recreating clones of Ellesyme, her room, etc) but they never really go anywhere.

Angthoron

Arcane

And there are elements to the characterization early on that hinted at something potentially interesting (like his obsession with recreating clones of Ellesyme, her room, etc) but they never really go anywhere.
Wasn't that just some lame bullshit about wanting to "feel" again? Also him raping Imoen. Maybe the good folks at Beamdog should give him the line "I never asked for this".
Yeah, but the whole "I want to feel" thing is dropped pretty much instantly. The cloning and all - if the character had a shift of perspective, that should be depicted a little more directly than just a couple of lines where it says "Yeah and then he changed his mind and now he wants to DRAIN YOUR SOUUUUUUUUUUUL"

Then again, the intro is pretty much completely disconnected from the rest of the story anyway and just serves as a quick and lazy setup for dumping the player into a situation. A decent enough hint to all that pay attention to what would come later to BioWare games. "Oh hey, you just saved Baldur's Gate from war, corruption and a bunch of dopplegangers! Good on you, now you're in a dungeon in Athkatla and look, your loot, party and everything else is gone!", totally not like "Oh hey, look, you just saved the Citadel and the universe from war, corruption and a bunch of dopplegangers! Good on you, now you're in a Cerberus dungeon except they're friendly and OMG DAT ASS where was I oh yeah, you have to battle your way out of it anyway because that's how the cookie crumbles also you died and your loot and party are gone byebyes go get new ones"

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Wasn't that just some lame bullshit about wanting to "feel" again? Also him raping Imoen. Maybe the good folks at Beamdog should give him the line "I never asked for this".
Yeah, but the whole "I want to feel" thing is dropped pretty much instantly. The cloning and all - if the character had a shift of perspective, that should be depicted a little more directly than just a couple of lines where it says "Yeah and then he changed his mind and now he wants to DRAIN YOUR SOUUUUUUUUUUUL"

Then again, the intro is pretty much completely disconnected from the rest of the story anyway and just serves as a quick and lazy setup for dumping the player into a situation. A decent enough hint to all that pay attention to what would come later to BioWare games. "Oh hey, you just saved Baldur's Gate from war, corruption and a bunch of dopplegangers! Good on you, now you're in a dungeon in Athkatla and look, your loot, party and everything else is gone!", totally not like "Oh hey, look, you just saved the Citadel and the universe from war, corruption and a bunch of dopplegangers! Good on you, now you're in a Cerberus dungeon except they're friendly and OMG DAT ASS where was I oh yeah, you have to battle your way out of it anyway because that's how the cookie crumbles also you died and your loot and party are gone byebyes go get new ones"

Still better than NWN2 - MotB.
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. You are in Rashemen now.
:mca:

Angthoron

Arcane
Still better than NWN2 - MotB.
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. You are in Rashemen now.
:mca:

Better how? I was talking about an overused cliché to kick off a sequel. Maybe if Obsidian made more sequels, we could see what cliché they'd abuse. :smug:

Oh yeah, also, Mass Effect 3:
"Ohai you just saved the universe from war and corruption and a bunch of dopplegangers, but now you were IN JAIL serving TIME and also you lost your crew and weapons so you have to get them back and you're in the Alliance dungeon but they're friendly and OMG ASHLEY YOU PUT ON SOME BOOBS HONEY where was I oh yeah right then Reapers attack and you have to fight because that's how the cookie crumbles"

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, nothing to suggest that at all. In fact I think it's quite openly hinted that he doesn't rape Imoen - iirc for that part it's mentioned that he's only fascinated in "that clone woman", and that the extent of the things he'd done was basically murder Khalid in front of her and then dissect him on full display. And other mental torture to bring out Bhaalspawn reactions.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure it is suggested when the dryads in Irenicus' dungeon talk to Imoen (the dryads were Irenicus' concubines). They say that she endured the same as they, or something.

Captain Shrek

Honestly BG2 was shit. Its characters were shit. Its only redeemable aspect was the mechanics. I am unable to understand like forever why people like that shit of a story. Nobody has explained to me why it is so well liked around here. Life's mysteries you might say but I have a good guess: We were almost all young gamers when it came out, young as in young by gaming chronology, and it affected us (YOU) very strongly because of its isolated presence.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty sure it is suggested when the dryads in Irenicus' dungeon talk to Imoen (the dryads were Irenicus' concubines). They say that she endured the same as they, or something.

In ToB Sarevok (if Imoen gave him part of his Bhaal essence) says - "Do you want to know that I can feel the knives of Irenicus, cutting you . . . torturing you? That I can feel his hands . . . and his breath? Yes, I *know* what he did to you, Imoen . . ."
...and on the other hand in the dungeon, she "doubts that he took pleasure in her (Ellesime's) company. He's beyond that". Or something similar.

So yeah, I never thought he did it, but I guess it's open for interpretation.

Bioware then - Post-op human elf in BDSM bodysuit abusing pink-haired innocent spunky rogue girl.
Bioware now - elf buttsex.

:decline:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Honestly BG2 was shit. Its characters were shit. Its only redeemable aspect was the mechanics. I am unable to understand like forever why people like that shit of a story. Nobody has explained to me why it is so well liked around here. Life's mysteries you might say but I have a good guess: We were almost all young gamers when it came out, young as in young by gaming chronology, and it affected us (YOU) very strongly because of its isolated presence.
Can't speak for anyone else but I like BG2 because of it's mechanics and encounter design. Also high level fantasy D&D is just fun (fuck you Codex!). It's why I start it up at least once a year.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Ever since the ending to ME3, i have not only lost my motivation for playing what was my favorite video game series. I have pretty much lost my will to play video games in general. This entire chain of events that has happened since March, has made me feel like i cant trust developers anymore or feel any joy over purchasing a product. I cant even get myself to feel excited over Diablo 3 or AC3. I never thought that a 10 minute ending could have such a negative impact on me.

Thank you Bioware.
:salute:

Deleted member 7219

I just tweeted this at the Bioware Doctors, if they haven't already seen it they need to be tied to chairs and made to watch it. Maybe then they'll kill themselves for saying the ME3 ending had 'artistic integrity'.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I just tweeted this at the Bioware Doctors, if they haven't already seen it they need to be tied to chairs and made to watch it. Maybe then they'll kill themselves for saying the ME3 ending had 'artistic integrity'.

Oh come on, it has the same problem as the rest of these videos, namely that it expects you to believe that all three games are perfect apart from the final ending sucking and all the outrage is a result of that.

But it's not, so it's not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom