Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Idiott

Arcane
En0i0.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
That pic (old btw) reminds me of this whole thing about the Reaper design, namely, what the fuck with them being so massive and slow? If they're made to reap on the planet surface, then they are really fucking slow, unstable and unbalanced with that design, and at least the videos show them to be pretty fucking slow. If they've been reaping orgasmics for thousands of years, then shouldn't they have better tech by now, the sort that would permit them to crawl a little faster? I don't see why they're supposed to look intimidating or shit if after their visits nobody is supposed to be left alive. As a biorobot I'd probably prefer efficiency but hey I guess you don't need that shit in syyyy fyyyy.

Idiott

Arcane
Maybe they weren't supposed to land and derp around initially so they didn't design them for that. Then sometime after ME1 they thought it was an awesome idea.

Angthoron

Arcane
Then how the fuck are they supposed to REAP.

Also the "fingers". Why so slow, not like they need to worry about the g-force, crew safety or any shit like that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Ex-Bioware Writer Employee explains Quarian origins
He wrote up to Mass Effect 2 before leaving.

Q: Why did the Quarians never settle on another planet? There are billions of stars in the galaxy, there has to be another planet that's close enough to Rannoch.

A:
"Why did so many Jews carry a torch for Israel for thousands of years? There are hundreds of deserts in the world, there has to be another one that's close enough to the Levant."
Those silly Jews, just get over the loss the Holy Land and settle down on Long Island.

Emotional beings don't always make rational decisions.

Q: Did you really have to compare the fate of a fictional race to the plight of the Jews?
A:
The Jewish Diaspora was one of my inspirations when I was writing about the quarians in ME1 and ME2, though it's rarely overt. The ship, system, and planet names I contributed were built with Hebrew phonemes. Listen to how Legion pronounces the "och" of "Rannoch" in ME2 - the VO notes expressly asked DC Douglas to pronounce it like a Hebrew phrase. The prayer used to open Rael'Zorah's trial directly paraphrases a Jewish blessing:

"Blessed are the Ancestors who kept us alive, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season. Keelah se'lai."
"Blessed are You, Lord, God, King of the Universe, who gave us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season."

SF writers take inspiration from real life, film at eleven.

I had no hand in ME3, but there was a very clear parallel in the earlier games. When quarians weren't being ghettoized by other species, they were isolating themselves to maintain their cultural identity. They kept their own counsel, relied on their own strength, and dreamed of a return to their Homeland. Yes, there's also Romani in there with the mobile fleet, but I preferred to emphasize the Jewish aspects - the bits that emphasized the antiquity and strength of their cultural identity, their practical approach to life, and the mystical leanings of their philosophy (the ship captain's blessing, the prayers that open and close the trial).

EDIT: And also - duh - the closeness of family and the importance of community bonds. I tried to get that in from the very first moments of Migrant Fleet in ME2 (I did the first draft, Patrick Weekes did extensive rewrites) - the fleet controller doesn't just say, "identity confirmed." He says, "Welcome home, Tali'Zorah."

So Tali is a jew? It all makes sense now.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Bioshock Creator Says The Anger Over Mass Effect 3′s Ending Makes Him Sad

TRACEY LIEN
KOTAKU AU
MARCH 21, 2012 2:00 PM

ken_levine_by_stormxxx-d1li4t7.jpg

If those calling on BioWare to change the ending to Mass Effect 3 somehow get what they want, they would still be disappointed, says the creator of Bioshock, Ken Levine.
Speaking on a panel at the Smithsonian (in celebration of the new exhibit, ‘The Art Of Video games’), Levine said: “I think this is an important moment.
“I think if those people got what they wanted and (BioWare) wrote their ending they would be very disappointed in the emotional feeling they got because … they didn’t really create it,” he said.
“I think this whole thing is making me a little bit sad because I don’t think anyone would get what they wanted if that happened.”
Senior creative director at BioWare-Mythic, Paul Barnett, added that it is up to the developers to choose how they wish to end the name.
“If computer games are art than I fully endorse the author of the artwork to have a statement about what they believe should happen,” Barnett said.
“Just as J.K. Rowling can end her books and say that is the end of Harry Potter. I don’t think she should be forced to make another one.”

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, kinda like Charles Dickens or Arthur Conan Doyle, am I right? What did those people know about authorship anyway lol.

Also: Fuck Ken Levine.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with the ending isn't that it's fucking sad, that's not the fucking point. It just doesn't make any fucking sense!

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
The problem with the ending isn't that it's fucking sad, that's not the fucking point. It just doesn't make any fucking sense!
more like your waifus husbandus(?) didn't marry you amirite

Stinger

Arcane
The art of video games involved everyone voting on poll with the most arbitrary categories.

It featured such artistic games like Call of Duty Black Ops and Fallout 3 as well as Dragon Age Origins (IN THE PS3 SECTION WTF?!) and just generally put games in retarded categories and often put unrelated but very well regarded games against each other for no good reason.

How this is in Smithsonian and not some page on IGN I'll never understand.

Also Levine needs to shut up about shit he doesn't understand.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Also Levine needs to shut up about shit he doesn't understand.

bro I think Mr Levine understands very well

it's just that Bioshock got him the acclaim that System Shock 2 never did so he's probably in the midst of david gaidering himself full time into the decline like jeff vogel did for his rpgs except on a much more fanboyed about scale

Multi-headed Cow

Did Gaider do anything good to decline from in the first place? Wasn't his first work at Bioware Aerie in BG2 or some shit?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Did Gaider do anything good to decline from in the first place? Wasn't his first work at Bioware Aerie in BG2 or some shit?

well he wrote Viconia so I'll overlook that, though I think her VA and portrait had a lot to do with my appreciation of the character :smug:

his off-workplace work on ToB's ascension mod was pretty bro

Also a lot of people here think Jolee from Kotor is p. boss
http://www.giantbomb.com/david-gaider/72-29916/characters/

that's about it but it's something to decline from

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yep, he did Aerie. On his defense he also did HK-47 in Kotor1 (although whoever from Obsidian did him in Kotor2 did an immensely better job) and Viconia DeVir

Stinger

Arcane
Chris Avellone wrote HK47 in Kotor 2 I think, naturally his dialogue is full of potshots at the first Kotor.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Hmmmm. It's no System Shock 2, but I guess.

bro if it helps I was thinking more of how David Gaider has gained about ten more levels in douchbaggery prestige class since the old days instead of interpreting him as changing alignment from high designer levels in bg2

ken levine on the other hand is p. much just alignment shifted with perhaps voluntary negative skill bonus feat in return for magical bag with regenerating gold pieces per day artifact

waywardOne

Arcane
Just as J.K. Rowling can end her books and say that is the end of Harry Potter. I don’t think she should be forced to make another one.
What an appropriate comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom