Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So where did Tali take that pic anyway? It's clearly taken on a planet, but the Quarians can't take their suits off except maybe in a clean room.

dryan

Arcane
So where did Tali take that pic anyway? It's clearly taken on a planet, but the Quarians can't take their suits off except maybe in a clean room.
I don't blame you for not reading the story. Something about their planet being restored.

Malpercio

Arcane
What the fuck!? There are people on the codex, right now, that seriusly believe in the IT bullshit?

Never thought I would see the day.

What's the next, DA2 apologists?

Lhynn

Arcane
What the fuck!? There are people on the codex, right now, that seriusly believe in the IT bullshit?

Never thought I would see the day.

This seems strange to you?

You dont codex much, do you? ive even seen diablo 3 apologists around.
I just find IT intriguing, you take a sci-fi (using the term rather loosely) series that had decent writing (juvenile and dumb at times, but somewhat fitting the general mood of the game) then the lead writer (i think thats what it was) in less than 15 minutes single handledly screws up so hard that even the other mistakes in the game pale so hard that by comparison the rest of the game seems actually good to a lot of people (see: "its only the last 15 minutes that are bad"), it breaks every conceivable rule when trying to tie a story together that it renders the other two games in the series unplayable unless you completely ignore the third part.
Then you have IT, that makes sense in the context of the games, is consistent with the game lore, explains a lot of things that simply couldnt be explained otherwise, but not by the virtue of "its all a dream", it explains events that happened in the past and gives them meaning.

Just too fitting from every standing point, Necroscope you just gave me a list of stuff that is outside of the narrative of the game that could debunk it, stuff that is even weaker than the IT by virtue of you not having all the facts, you dont work at bioware, you have no idea what could possibly have happened in there.
Anyway, does anyone know if EDI is still shown getting out of the ship even in the destroy ending if you had it in your team? with the EC i mean, i know for a fact that in vanilla it does.

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane

Isn't there was already a case or even more? I'm pretty sure, that someone brought the point about storyline with templars-mages focus somehow excuses failures of that game.

Malpercio

Arcane
Lhynn said:
the lead writer (i think thats what it was) in less than 15 minutes single handledly screws up so hard that even the other mistakes in the game pale so hard that by comparison the rest of the game seems actually good to a lot of people

I'm confused, are you talking about ME3 ending or ME2 beginning? Because in the last case I think everyone here will agree, everything past ME1 actually never happened, yeah!

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
then the lead writer (i think thats what it was) in less than 15 minutes single handledly screws up so hard that even the other mistakes in the game pale so hard that by comparison the rest of the game seems actually good to a lot of people (see: "its only the last 15 minutes that are bad"), it breaks every conceivable rule when trying to tie a story together that it renders the other two games in the series unplayable unless you completely ignore the third part.
Casey Hudson was a major writer, not the lead, though it didn't seem as if there was much difference given he pretty much acted like one (maybe Roguey has more insight into this). Anyway, that's exactly what happened, and that's exactly why the endings pissed off so many people that it's still talked about and will be talked about years from now.

To play the devils advocate, when time is short and you cannot gain any perspective on what you're writing, and moreover there's no one to challenge your ideas, it's fairly easy to pull off something really retarded.

you just gave me a list of stuff that is outside of the narrative of the game that could debunk it, stuff that is even weaker than the IT by virtue of you not having all the facts, you dont work at bioware, you have no idea what could possibly have happened in there.
What kind of facts? Leaked script, Space Edition, Weekes posting on Penny Arcade, lots of speculation from everyone? I obviously can't back my every statement with *proof* because I wasn't recording everything for future generations, though what I said is common knowledge to anyone that was interested in the matter at the time. Now what kind of proof there is to support the IT? None.

And I think it's a shame it ended how it ended because I enjoyed the series for what it was.

dryan

Arcane
Indoctrination Theory is just a result of fans caring more than the developers about the game. Reality is simpler: the game was rushed and poorly thought out.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Indoctrination Theory is just a result of fans caring more than the developers about the game. Reality is simpler: the game was rushed and poorly thought out.
Remembering my high-school literature classes, I recall one school of thought that holds that a work can only be judged on it's actual contents, what the author says the work is about is not relevant.

Keeping that in mind, I suppose the Indoctrination Theory is a perfectly valid interpretation of Mass Effect. Perhaps even the superior interpretation, it certainly makes more sense than taking the plot at face value. The fact that bioware's writers did not intend for the plot to be understood this way doesn't matter, the game is what it is.

Lhynn

Arcane
Remembering my high-school literature classes, I recall one school of thought that holds that a work can only be judged on it's actual contents, what the author says the work is about is not relevant.

Keeping that in mind, I suppose the Indoctrination Theory is a perfectly valid interpretation of Mass Effect. Perhaps even the superior interpretation, it certainly makes more sense than taking the plot at face value. The fact that bioware's writers did not intend for the plot to be understood this way doesn't matter, the game is what it is.

:bro:
Sounds like you had a pretty :obviously: teacher.
Yeah, thats what ive been trying to say.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, you were pretty clearly arguing that the IT was the author intent.
It is to me. Only way you are going to convince me otherwise its by getting the author to give me a call.
All i asked of necroscope were ingame explanations on how the narrative disproved IT, heck, thats all been asking of any of you. And time and time again all youve provided has been devs statements that can easily be attributed to PR damage control and as such hold no weight or meaning.
All you could came up with was a retarded AI from a civilization that got infiltrated by indoctrinated agents from every orifice. I have even been trying to explain that indoctrination is a process, and you cant say someone is indoctrinated on the first session, can you? in the same way shepard was simply not indoctrinated when he met the AI. Its just that simple to explain. Now, the AI saying he was indoctrinated when he had never shown any signs of being so (betraying his friends, following the commands of said voices, etc) would have arguably made for a bigger plot hole.
I know the evidence is flimsy at best, but it fits too well withing that particular story. Ive said this time and time again. And the alternative (that everything you see is real) simply does not fit at all within the narrative, not only that, it goes against everything that has been established in the past, which automatically discards it in my book.

Grimlorn

Arcane
The IT is disproven by the simple fact that when you beat the game a screen comes up that says Shepard has defeated the Reapers and become a legend and to continue the journey by purchasing more DLC. So if Bioware telling you you beat the Reapers isn't enough to convinced you that there was no indoctrination, then you're out of your mind.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
No, you were pretty clearly arguing that the IT was the author intent.
It is to me. Only way you are going to convince me otherwise its by getting the author to give me a call.
All i asked of necroscope were ingame explanations on how the narrative disproved IT, heck, thats all been asking of any of you. And time and time again all youve provided has been devs statements that can easily be attributed to PR damage control and as such hold no weight or meaning.
All you could came up with was a retarded AI from a civilization that got infiltrated by indoctrinated agents from every orifice. I have even been trying to explain that indoctrination is a process, and you cant say someone is indoctrinated on the first session, can you? in the same way shepard was simply not indoctrinated when he met the AI. Its just that simple to explain. Now, the AI saying he was indoctrinated when he had never shown any signs of being so (betraying his friends, following the commands of said voices, etc) would have arguably made for a bigger plot hole.
I know the evidence is flimsy at best, but it fits too well withing that particular story. Ive said this time and time again. And the alternative (that everything you see is real) simply does not fit at all within the narrative, not only that, it goes against everything that has been established in the past, which automatically discards it in my book.
68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb83482906300d539d7e92e5e1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom