Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
There's more, much more to her than we initially realized guys.

Q) Do you have an opinion about the current state of the industry with regard to females and gaming? If so, what is it?

A) I think that the biggest detriment to more varieties of games being made which appeal to women and casual gamers, is simply the fact that people who don't love games don't become game designers. A game company tends to be filled with people whose best memories come from the games they played, who spend all their time swapping war stories with other gamers, and it's not too surprising that they end up wanting to make games that recaptures those experiences. A lot of ground has been broken in other media when someone who is dissatisfied with his existing choices decides to try something new (Samuel Beckett comes to mind, as the self-professed playwright who hated drama).

GET OUT OF GAMES BITCH

Although it's sort of good that she's in Bioware, meaning that ship will sink faster with her on board. :smug:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
http://twitter.com/#!/zythyl/status/171583847643885568

Patrick Brown

@AarynFlynn @BrandesHepler Did Hamburger Helper really write this? Explains the bad writing in DA2 tbh. pic.twitter.com/AbadXUtG

AmGWmbBCMAARMzY.gif

:thumbsup::lol:

Apparently, that's from her book (I wonder if it's shopped or if this is actually real, fucking hilarious if it's real).

:balance:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

racofer

Thread Incliner

Patrick Brown

@AarynFlynn @BrandesHepler Did Hamburger Helper really write this? Explains the bad writing in DA2 tbh. pic.twitter.com/AbadXUtG

AmGWmbBCMAARMzY.gif

Apparently, that's from her book (I wonder if it's shopped or if this is actually real, fucking hilarious if it's real).

Not Hepler's: http://www.flickr.com/photos/methodshop/3679970368/

Twitteers and 4channers don't need to know. ;)

curry

Arcane
For those that didn't see/believe this, here's confirmation that hamburger helper has... procreated...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ppbt6/lets_have_a_discussion_about_jennifer_brandes/

Q: What is your least favorite thing about working in the industry?
A: Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games. While I enjoy the interactive aspects of gaming, if a game doesn't have a good story, it's very hard for me to get interested in playing it. Similarly, I'm really terrible at so many things which most games use incessantly -- I have awful hand-eye coordination, I don't like tactics, I don't like fighting, I don't like keeping track of inventory, and I can't read a game map to save my life. This makes it very difficult for me to play to the myriad games I really should be keeping up on as our competition.
And with a baby on the way in a few months, my minimal free time (which makes it impossible for me to finish a big RPG in less than six months already), will disappear entirely. If there was a fast-forward feature on games which would let me easily review the writing and stories and skip the features that I find more frustrating than fun, I'd find it much easier to keep abreast of what's happening in the field.

Who said anything about procreating? Maybe she mail-ordered a baby from China.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Patrick Brown

AmGWmbBCMAARMzY.gif

Fake: http://www.flickr.com/photos/methodshop/3679970368/

:(

What a shame. Still hilarious that someone actually wrote that to begin with (and got published), though.

GET OUT OF GAMES BITCH

Although it's sort of good that she's in Bioware, meaning that ship will sink faster with her on board. :smug:

So, :incline: of BioWare?

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I can see how her and us sharing a planet would be a bad thing. But since there's a bunch of us distributed all over the world (I mean, the logistics of rounding us up would be a nightmare), wouldn't it be both more cost-efficient and eco-friendly to settle for launching her into orbit? Same end result, less energy and smaller CO2 footprint.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ME3: Leakiest game ever?

...well, at least the source code didn't leak.
medium_da66e1a097ae8b64a941dfb34f5758bd.jpg

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jennifer's story is already gaining some popularity.

• http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml
    BioWare writer's vagina versus the Internet

By far her greatest "crime" was suggesting that games should let the player skip combat, stating: "Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue."
    Whether you agree or disagree, it's not like she cut a toddler's achilles tendons with a rusty scalpel. Still, however, this is the Internet.

Hundreds of messages have been sent to Hepler, as a simple Twitter search shows. Many choose to attack her writing and ability to craft characters. A staggering number focus on her physical appearance, choosing to call her such delightful names as "fat bitch" and "obese cunt." Some want to know why she's "obsessed with shoehorning homosexual relationships down gamer's throats."

Maybe she will get fired in the end. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

• http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml

By far her greatest "crime" was suggesting that games should let the player skip combat, stating: "Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue."
    Whether you agree or disagree, it's not like she cut a toddler's achilles tendons with a rusty scalpel. Still, however, this is the Internet.

Hundreds of messages have been sent to Hepler, as a simple Twitter search shows. Many choose to attack her writing and ability to craft characters. A staggering number focus on her physical appearance, choosing to call her such delightful names as "fat bitch" and "obese cunt." Some want to know why she's "obsessed with shoehorning homosexual relationships down gamer's throats."

Jim Sterling said:
She's also received a lot of heat for admitting that she doesn't like to play games -- certainly a requirement if your job is to craft narrative (sarcasm).

:hmmm:
Sterling gonna sterl.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Call me Becca. 19. Left-winger, atheistic, bi/ace/demi questioning dork who's unlikely to let your bullshit slide. Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Torchwood, The Hunger Games, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, politics, and feminism abound.

Q) Do you have an opinion about the current state of the industry with regard to females and gaming? If so, what is it?

A) I think that the biggest detriment to more varieties of games being made which appeal to women and casual gamers, is simply the fact that people who don't love games don't become game designers. A game company tends to be filled with people whose best memories come from the games they played, who spend all their time swapping war stories with other gamers, and it's not too surprising that they end up wanting to make games that recaptures those experiences. A lot of ground has been broken in other media when someone who is dissatisfied with his existing choices decides to try something new (Samuel Beckett comes to mind, as the self-professed playwright who hated drama).

GET OUT OF GAMES BITCH

DID SHE JUST FUCKING INDIRECTLY COMPARE HERSELF TO SAMUEL BECKETT

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Fuck it. It's personal now.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Aaryn Flynn (EA VP and General Manager of BioWare Edmonton) on Twitter:

106woev.jpg

Hahaha what a PR hell!
It's not PR hell at all.

Members of development studios have insulted fans and players of their games since the days of Derek Smart. This is commonplace behaviour in gaming industry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Members of development studios have insulted fans and players of their games since the days of Derek Smart. This is commonplace behaviour in gaming industry.

It's funny. Nowadays Derek Smart would be considered 'indie'. He would have sold Battlecruiser 3000 or whatever on Steam. A man ahead of his time?

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

It was gonna happen eventually. I mean, internet's gonna internet, but I get the feeling the tone of the discussion would've been different if it focused on her awful writing (with maybe an example or two, if there's the space) rather than taking pot shots at her. It allows her/BioWare/drones/? to frame the argument as "Hepler v trolls" instead of "Hepler bitches when criticized".

I doubt she'll get fired. If anything, she'll get a raise for fighting the good fight against sexism and misogyny.

:M

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

It was gonna happen eventually. I mean, internet's gonna internet, but I get the feeling the tone of the discussion would've been different if it focused on her awful writing (with maybe an example or two, if there's the space) rather than taking pot shots at her. It allows her/BioWare/drones/? to frame the argument as "Hepler v trolls" instead of "Hepler bitches when criticized".

I doubt she'll get fired. If anything, she'll get a raise for fighting the good fight against sexism and misogyny.

:M

Considering how retarded the management of EA/Bioware is these days and their target groups that's the most likely outcome

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom