Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, right now, it seems all the trolls have gone to bed and only the hugbox is left, spamming her with feelgood messages. Party's over, for now at least.

EDIT:
@BrandesHepler Maybe that's because your games FUCKING SUCK? Ever thought about that?
@BrandesHepler You and Hamburger Helper have a lot in common. Both stuffed with greasy meat and a lot of starch.

Well, almost all of them. :smug:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jennifer's story is already gaining some popularity.

• http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml
    BioWare writer's vagina versus the Internet

By far her greatest "crime" was suggesting that games should let the player skip combat, stating: "Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue."
    Whether you agree or disagree, it's not like she cut a toddler's achilles tendons with a rusty scalpel. Still, however, this is the Internet.

Hundreds of messages have been sent to Hepler, as a simple Twitter search shows. Many choose to attack her writing and ability to craft characters. A staggering number focus on her physical appearance, choosing to call her such delightful names as "fat bitch" and "obese cunt." Some want to know why she's "obsessed with shoehorning homosexual relationships down gamer's throats."
Maybe she will get fired in the end. :salute:

It was gonna happen eventually. I mean, internet's gonna internet, but I get the feeling the tone of the discussion would've been different if it focused on her awful writing (with maybe an example or two, if there's the space) rather than taking pot shots at her. It allows her/BioWare/drones/? to frame the argument as "Hepler v trolls" instead of "Hepler bitches when criticized".

I doubt she'll get fired. If anything, she'll get a raise for fighting the good fight against sexism and misogyny.

:M

Considering how retarded the management of EA/Bioware is these days and their target groups that's the most likely outcome

http://middlemarching.tumblr.com/po...ition-for-bioware-to-pay-jennifer-hepler-more

:thumbsup:

Well, right now, it seems all the trolls have gone to bed and only the hugbox is left, spamming her with feelgood messages. Party's over, for now at least.

EDIT:
@BrandesHepler Maybe that's because your games FUCKING SUCK? Ever thought about that?
@BrandesHepler You and Hamburger Helper have a lot in common. Both stuffed with greasy meat and a lot of starch.

Well, almost all of them. :smug:

@BrandesHepler The weight of your story telling is truly inspiring.

Not done yet.

:troll:

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
Pathetic quote mining from a looser!

The linked article also says:

Because that's what gamers do, if this behavior is to be believed. Attack individuals en masse, forgetting they are people, and then acting betrayed when their victims have the nerve to bite back. It's all very well expecting "professional conduct" from a developer when a customer is angry, but when anybody's being demolished by a rampant tsunami of abuse, I don't think there's any amount of professional expectation that makes it unacceptable to lose one's cool and say something in return.

It is the height of entitlement to believe you can say whatever you want, as hurtful as you like, and expect not a word of a retort. Those gamers now acting butthurt because Flynn and Hepler responded to the abuse are as cretinous and pathetic as one can get.

RPG Codex >doesn't scale to your level

Maybe it should scale. At least the level of discussion should scale to higher than a really bad kindergarten discussion. It's pathetic how few decent people are on this forum which can distinguish between real and valid criticism and pure and utter abuse and insults, and how many shiteaters and arseholes and retards and people with an inferiority complex are here.

Why did you point out that she's apparently pregnant like it is something bad and weird? What shitty wanker are you racofer? Only way to cope with the fact she had more sex and probably is a more likable person than you is to put her down, shiteater? You all here pretend to be superior because "RPG Codex doesn't scale to your level", but in fact you are just idiots. Your retarded bullshit fucking posts piss me off so much!

SHUT THE FUCK UP RACOFER, YOU DIPSHIT, RETARDED ARSEHOLE! The person in the article is talking about "gamers" like you, you entitled imbecile!

Your post (post 2047 in this thread) is just another proof of that. It would be better if you get permanently banned from this forum, because it would definitely cause an :incline: .

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Aaryn Flynn (EA VP and General Manager of BioWare Edmonton) on Twitter:

106woev.jpg

Hahaha what a PR hell!
Oh, and @copilotdork is demanding an apology from Aaryn Flynn. Strange.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Jennifer's story is already gaining some popularity.

• http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml
    BioWare writer's vagina versus the Internet

By far her greatest "crime" was suggesting that games should let the player skip combat, stating: "Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue."
    Whether you agree or disagree, it's not like she cut a toddler's achilles tendons with a rusty scalpel. Still, however, this is the Internet.

Hundreds of messages have been sent to Hepler, as a simple Twitter search shows. Many choose to attack her writing and ability to craft characters. A staggering number focus on her physical appearance, choosing to call her such delightful names as "fat bitch" and "obese cunt." Some want to know why she's "obsessed with shoehorning homosexual relationships down gamer's throats."
Maybe she will get fired in the end. :salute:

Destructoid commenter said:
So you opinion on her work as a writer in the gaming industry, not exactly known for its writing in nearly any regard, is somehow relevant to the Cult of Gaming jumping on her?

Her writing is tripe? Most game writing is terrible in the grand scheme of things. Should the majority of writers in the gaming industry, a scene where storytelling in any substantial sense is garnering ever more hostile responses from the Cult of Gaming, be personally and viciously attacked for not living up to the standards of raving fanboys?

I'm going to need a break on this one. The whole thing reminds me of a bunch of fanboys in a room wearing suits and monocles, swirling brandy glasses of Kool-Aid, and arguing over the finer points of adding sliced lemon to the pitcher.

That sounds a bit familiar:obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Because that's what gamers do, if this behavior is to be believed. Attack individuals en masse, forgetting they are people, and then acting betrayed when their victims have the nerve to bite back. It's all very well expecting "professional conduct" from a developer when a customer is angry, but when anybody's being demolished by a rampant tsunami of abuse, I don't think there's any amount of professional expectation that makes it unacceptable to lose one's cool and say something in return.

It is the height of entitlement to believe you can say whatever you want, as hurtful as you like, and expect not a word of a retort. Those gamers now acting butthurt because Flynn and Hepler responded to the abuse are as cretinous and pathetic as one can get.

Maybe it should scale. At least the level of discussion should scale to higher than a really bad kindergarten discussion. It's pathetic how few decent people are on this forum which can distinguish between real and valid criticism and pure and utter abuse and insults, and how many shiteaters and arseholes and retards and people with an inferiority complex are here.

Why did you point out that she's apparently pregnant like it is something bad and weird? What shitty wanker are you racofer? Only way to cope with the fact she had more sex and probably is a more likable person than you is to put her down, shiteater? You all here pretend to be superior because "RPG Codex doesn't scale to your level", but in fact you are just idiots. Your retarded bullshit fucking posts piss me off so much!

SHUT THE FUCK UP RACOFER, YOU DIPSHIT, RETARDED ARSEHOLE! The person in the article is talking about "gamers" like you, you entitled imbecile!

Your post (post 2047 in this thread) is just another proof of that. It would be better if you get permanently banned from this forum, because it would definitely cause an :incline: .
Relax, bro. This is a lolthread.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

106woev.jpg

Hahaha what a PR hell!
Oh, and @copilotdork is demanding an apology from Aaryn Flynn. Strange.

Masterful troll move. I'm sure this Nate fellow knows they don't really owe him an apology, but as a corporation this still puts them in an awkward position, and he's milking it for all he can get.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Hepler's husband?

Kz3r0

Arcane
These guys need to set up female profiles on twitter and pretend to be feminists. Then get angry that Hammy is hiding behind the feminist flag to defend her idiocy, and point out the ways in which ME series portrays women as incompetent bickering idiots.

Then have a few black guys angry because ME protrays them all as closet homosexuals.

Then have a few gay guys thank her because until they played ME series they were totally straight, and now they have learned the error of their ways. Then ask that they include ability to make male to female transformation in-game, or even technology that lets you change sex at will so you can romance anyone you want to.
Actually the ME franchise is quite racist and sexist despite all the pandering, it's all amount to a blond Aryan Guy fucking in the ass all of his crew, that is almost entirely composed by minorities..

grotsnik

Arcane
A lot of ground has been broken in other media when someone who is dissatisfied with his existing choices decides to try something new (Samuel Beckett comes to mind, as the self-professed playwright who hated drama).

I think it's a really stupid and unpleasant affair, but I'm not sure a bizarre mob pile-on like this would have happened if the industry actually had some respectable gaming critics around to take developers, professionally and articulately, to task for spouting laughable nonsense like this to justify themselves. That Beckett quote makes me angrier than words can say.

After I read that Sterling bloke saying he 'wasn't a fan' of Bioware's stories, I googled to see if he'd reviewed the second Dragon Age. It turned out he hadn't liked the first one, so they gave the review to another journalist who they thought would enjoy it more. It's idiotic and cowardly. And so we don't have mainstream articles pointing out that slews of anachronistic over-sexed fourth-wall-breaking jokes are an odd fit with an allegedly dark fantasy world, or that a story-driven game with a single contrived ending but heterosexual, homosexual, love and hate variations on four different romance options has its priorities all wrong. Instead, we get '94%: Darker. Sexier. Better', there's no proper critical voice to challenge developers' bullshit, all the players' irritation just bubbles up on forums, and the big lady with thick spectacles who was videoed gushing about the thrilling depth and variety of their virtual sex-games makes for an obvious target.

Samuel fucking Beckett comes to mind...

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A lot of ground has been broken in other media when someone who is dissatisfied with his existing choices decides to try something new (Samuel Beckett comes to mind, as the self-professed playwright who hated drama).

I think it's a really stupid and unpleasant affair, but I'm not sure a bizarre mob pile-on like this would have happened if the industry actually had some respectable gaming critics around to take developers, professionally and articulately, to task for spouting laughable nonsense like this to justify themselves. That Beckett quote makes me angrier than words can say.

After I read that Sterling bloke saying he 'wasn't a fan' of Bioware's stories, I googled to see if he'd reviewed the second Dragon Age. It turned out he hadn't liked the first one, so Destructoid gave the review to another journalist who they thought would enjoy it more (they don't want angry Bioware fans complaining, after all). It's idiotic and cowardly. And so we don't have mainstream articles pointing out that slews of anachronistic over-sexed fourth-wall-breaking jokes are an odd fit with an allegedly dark fantasy world, or that a story-driven game with a single contrived ending but heterosexual, homosexual, love and hate variations on four different romance options has its priorities all wrong. Instead, we get '94%: Darker. Sexier. Better', there's no proper critical voice to challenge developers' bullshit, all the players' irritation just bubbles up on forums, and the big lady with thick spectacles who was videoed gushing about the thrilling depth and variety of their virtual sex-games makes for an obvious target.

:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

After I read that Sterling bloke saying he 'wasn't a fan' of Bioware's stories, I googled to see if he'd reviewed the second Dragon Age. It turned out he hadn't liked the first one, so Destructoid gave the review to another journalist who they thought would enjoy it more (they don't want angry Bioware fans complaining, after all). It's idiotic and cowardly. And so we don't have mainstream articles pointing out that slews of anachronistic over-sexed fourth-wall-breaking jokes are an odd fit with an allegedly dark fantasy world, or that a story-driven game with a single contrived ending but heterosexual, homosexual, love and hate variations on four different romance options has its priorities all wrong. Instead, we get '94%: Darker. Sexier. Better', there's no proper critical voice to challenge developers' bullshit, all the players' irritation just bubbles up on forums, and the big lady with thick spectacles who was videoed gushing about the thrilling depth and variety of their virtual sex-games makes for an obvious target.

You should post this as a comment to the Destructoid article.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar

lolthread? Really?

You guys ain't gonna stop until she commits suicide, right?

Works for me.

Think that is funny? There is actually one comment on twitter asking if she already killed herself!

This thread has crossed the line, particularly racofer's comment above! If you don't see that, you are just like all the other idiots on here!

racofer

Thread Incliner

Oh cry me a fucking river. You come in here quoting the codex's slogan yet you can't even bother to read a few pages back and realize in what sort of thread you are posting. If I offend your fragile feelings, get the hell out of here. The sort of stuff being discussed in here is quite "light" in contrast to other shit that goes down in GD.

Yet you act all butthurt now as if I had touched a nerve. Got bullied much during high school, shithead? Are you feeling some kind of empathy towards miss hepler that you feel personally assaulted by my posts?

(post in question is a screenshot of some guy's twitter)

RPG Codex >doesn't scale to your level indeed.

Sacculina

Educated

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't understand why people vent about writing in games so much. The only game I know of that is above terrible in terms of writing is Planescape: Torment.
On the other hand, Bioware kinda brought it upon themselves; by catering their games towards retards and marketing their story as prime selling point they now have to deal with retards complaining about the story.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

106woev.jpg

Hahaha what a PR hell!

And this is why social media that connect us in any way to the company (twitter, facebook, whatever) are banned at any sensible company, such as where I work. It's ok that people are jerks - that can't be helped - but don't drag your company down with you.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Can't wait to seed the shit out of ME3.

And by seed I mean ejaculate into the DVD case, seal it with my woven pubic hair and blood and mail it to THE DOCTORS.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not sure if posted, but: It's raining SHEPARDS!!!

• http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115885-EA-Launches-Mass-Effect-3-Discs-into-Space

A few copies of Mass Effect 3 are heading into space, and EA isn't responsible if they bring the Reapers back with them.
    How far would you be willing to go to play Mass Effect 3 early? Many people jumped at the chance to download the newly available demo, while others will likely stay out late for a midnight release at their local game shops, or hope against hope that Amazon ships out a few early copies. However, six extremely impatient fans won't have to wait until March 6, provided they don't mind doing some legwork. Next week, publisher Electronic Arts will launch six copies of Mass Effect 3 into space. Fans will be able to track their descent back to Earth's surface and, with a little luck, pick up a free copy of the game well in advance of its official release.
    Within the next seven days, EA will launch six weather balloons bearing copies of Mass Effect 3 over the cities of New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Berlin, London, and Paris. By monitoring the Mass Effect official website and Twitter account, fans can track the games' movement via GPS over the cities and out into the world beyond. Whoever arrives to the landing zone first can claim the game, although EA does not specify whether it is launching PC, 360, or PS3 versions of the games. One must also wonder what will happen if the game lands in water - you know, that stuff that covers 70% of Earth's surface.
    While these balloons will not leave Earth's gravitational field (or even come anywhere close), they will technically arrive in the upper atmosphere, otherwise known as "near space." Weather balloons routinely reach heights of 90,000 feet or more, placing them well into the stratosphere, and can maintain this altitude for hours at a time. While it's not quite the system-hopping galactic exploration that has become almost synonymous with Mass Effect, it's still the closest that any game in the series has come to the distant star systems and planets it routinely depicts.
    Whether you want to chase after a falling weather balloon for an early copy of a game that's only a few weeks away will largely depend on how much you like Mass Effect, and what your other plans for that day may be. If you do decide to pursue one of these games, just hope with all your heart that the hostile alien life is confined to the game itself; extremophlic life forms from near space can be really problematic.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Was posted. We assumed that people who are big into geocaching and taxidermy are going to murder all the Bileware tards that go out hunting for these things.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This thread just inclined! We have one of the Biowhore sleeper agents faggots retards dumbfucks staff (Kashrlyyk) onboard! Yeaaah!

I think he's a sockpuppet of BioWare Gestapo and Head of Shitematics JohnElper. They both used the word "hominem" within 24 hours of each other.

I think the more logical explanation is that he is a dashing white prince upset at (y)our horrible misogynistic ways. Certainly that's no way to tweet a lady. No need to assume that he works for Bioware.

RPGMaster

Savant
Hepler is a lady? Real ladies don't make public mention of their vaginas, that's what my momma told me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom