Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

DaveO

Erudite
Given how well the Merge mod works with MM8 thru MM6 I see no reason to do Chaos Conspiracy at the moment. Which of course now opens up the party options, although I believe I am limited by game. So if I wanted Monks, it would be MM7. For Vampires, Dark Elves, and Minotaurs it would be MM8. I can't see a logical reason to start with the default humans in MM6 for the Merge mod.

welly321

Scholar
Might and Magic VII was one of my favorite games from my childhood. I still have fond memories of being home sick with the flu with my brother and watching him play it. I also remember finally making it through that Tunnel to the next area where you could get Master bow and then shoot double arrows. I felt invincible after that! Man maybe its time to replay it. I also never finished VI or VIII. I did play and finish X which I really enjoyed! I think Might and Magic X's combat really was excellent. It felt very strategic and I liked the classes. Rune Priest and the Wind melee class were awesome!

DaveO

Erudite
QLE6AU6.gif

Just added merge mod to a clean MM8 install. Party will wait until I complete my Hybrid MM6 LP.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Might and Magic VII was one of my favorite games from my childhood. I still have fond memories of being home sick with the flu with my brother and watching him play it. I also remember finally making it through that Tunnel to the next area where you could get Master bow and then shoot double arrows. I felt invincible after that! Man maybe its time to replay it. I also never finished VI or VIII. I did play and finish X which I really enjoyed! I think Might and Magic X's combat really was excellent. It felt very strategic and I liked the classes. Rune Priest and the Wind melee class were awesome!

Yeah playing IX and it's better than I remembered. I mean I don't remember even playing it (though I'm getting enough deja vus to know I did) but I've always thought of it as utter crap. There's the nuts and bolts here of a great game.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah playing IX and it's better than I remembered. I mean I don't remember even playing it (though I'm getting enough deja vus to know I did) but I've always thought of it as utter crap. There's the nuts and bolts here of a great game.
I've played it few years ago and was also surprised that it's not... atrocious as many have claimed. It just unfinished, literally, and the more you play, the more this simple fact becomes clearer. Depressing experience to any fan of the series.

What's also depressing is the fact that M&M X came out 7 years ago and obviously there's no any continuation in sight, unless through another fucking miracle.

Desiderius

Patron
I've played it few years ago and was also surprised that it's not... atrocious as many have claimed. It just unfinished, literally, and the more you play, the more this simple fact becomes clearer. Depressing experience to any fan of the series.

What's also depressing is the fact that M&M X came out 7 years ago and obviously there's no any continuation in sight, unless through another fucking miracle.

Wonder if we could get some old fart Kickstarters going to hire original devs to finish games lost to a cash crunch from when everyone was poor.

If we’re going to live in a decadent military dictatorship at least we should get some of the great art they traditionally produce (probably from crowding anyone competent out of power and into the arts) before it eats itself alive.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
At the end of Might & Magic 3 :
Is there a way to leave the Main Control Sector? I think I'm stuck.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Expect to finish this game at Lv.300+ and have maxed out some skills! This game now feels modern and complete!

Each training center has a limit of how high they can take your characters. Without looking it up, I can tell you that there are three In Might and Magic VI where I generally don't reach the limit before winning: Blackshire, Castle Ironfist, and Paradise Valley. One is limited to 100, one is limited to 200, and the other is unlimited. (Again, without looking it up, I think it goes Blackshire 100, paradise Valley 200, and Castle Ironfist unlimited, although the last two may be reversed). The only real level cap in the game is your own patience.

Ok! Now I am wondering what the max level is for each game. In MMI, I know you could reset quests in game and visit various areas that perm +1 stats (at least on the buggy c64 which had a bug where it seemed the xp would screw up and the only limit to levels was your pocket and visiting the time of legends to reduce your age). I never managed to be autistic enough to max each char in stats to 255 each for MMI.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ok! Now I am wondering what the max level is for each game. In MMI, I know you could reset quests in game and visit various areas that perm +1 stats (at least on the buggy c64 which had a bug where it seemed the xp would screw up and the only limit to levels was your pocket and visiting the time of legends to reduce your age). I never managed to be autistic enough to max each char in stats to 255 each for MMI.
Max level theoretically possible, or max level achievable? IIRC MM1-2 values can overflow from 255 back to 0 which creates all sorts of problems obviously. MM3-5 have training capped at 200, but in WOX specifically it's possible to go over this (something in the 220s-230s I think) if you save all the level-giving quests and specials until after you get to 200 then go and activate them. The problem with WOX is that even though there's enough XP to train to 200, I don't think it's possible to make enough gold for this before your PCs start dying of old age. I don't remember what the limit in MM7-8 was but I think the training cap is also 200 in all 3 of them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Have you heard about Chiyolate MM6 mod?"

HOLY SHIT!

Any of the 'good' stuff that mod may bring is drowned out by the tons of pure garbage. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Desiderius

Patron
So this Dungeon of Secrets. I've even watched a guy do it on a vid and have no idea. Should I just wait for Beacon? Not even sure how to do that lol.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Mod's description : "Fun and rebalance mod"

Weapon stats, armors, monsters' HPs, EXPs, golds, drop rates, and a lot of things have been carefully adjusted and boosted to make the gameplay much more satisfying and rewarding.
Expect to finish this game at Lv.300+ and have maxed out some skills! This game now feels modern and complete!
Blast through tougher monsters with either powerful combinations of melee weapons or Lv.60 spells is now possible without killing 3 of your party members. But you can still play solo in this mod to make it even harder and challenging.
Never worry again if you're playing with a full melee party, because wizard's eye and torchlight spell scrolls are now abundant!
Annoying monsters' spells have also been readjusted for a better non-frustrating gaming experience.

Now, we can safely say it's garbage...

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Now, we can safely say it's garbage...

Near New Sorpigal during the process of killing apprentice mages I somehow found the Ultimate Boots of Magic. +469 spell points. LOL
What should I expect for killing a dragon? +1million SP item?
Nevertheless this mod is a good excuse to replay MM6 again for me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Near New Sorpigal during the process of killing apprentice mages I somehow found the Ultimate Boots of Magic. +469 spell points. LOL
What should I expect for killing a dragon? +1million SP item?
Nevertheless this mod is a good excuse to replay MM6 again for me.

Please keep us posted, a short or long review of the mod will interest most of the codexers visiting this thread.

Codex fundraisers to finish ToEE, Lionheart, Bloodlines, M&M9, etc?

I almost wanted to add the IWD in ToEE engine mod but they want to keep the encounters "pure" instead of adaptation it to the TB combat.
It's fun for half an hour but at the end of the day, it's going to be garbage.

We can agree on ToEE at least, i'm not sure MM9 is worth the cost and efforts.

Desiderius

Patron
Got the Beacon (had to figure out Verhoffen Ruins for that) and eventually got it to work at about the same time as getting hang of the controls well enough to clear Dungeon the legit way so now have Paladin, Ranger, Mage, and Priest. Just cleared Chasm to hit lvl 28 and now have full Portal.

This game has some great dungeons. Very similar to Wizards and Warriors. We seriously should start a Kickstarter for restoration of these great games that hit budget crunches.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Chiyolate MM6 mod

I cleared the outside around New Sorpigal and the Abandoned Temple.
Now I am level 22, there is a huge XP gain.
I have no enough money for so much training. After level 15 I have to go to Castle Ironfist.
To what level you can increase the Merchant skill? Is there a limit when you gain no further lower prices?
I already have a Banker NPC.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've never seen any skill limit, didn't even know there were any until i read this mod's description.
It's probably the same limit for every skill though, if it helps.
lvl 50? 100?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
It is very funny when I find a great item and a member of party shouts: Wooooww!!!
And indeed, it is a shield with +550 endurance.

I cleaned up Goblinwatch and Dragoon's cavern. I could train up to level 42 but of course I have no so much money.
I did not remember this cavern was so large dungeon.

Desiderius

Patron
Is there any way to interact with the Trophy (Grail) Room in Ta’ sar Academy in M&M IX? Or did they just not get around to implementing it?

There’s a book you read that directs you there so should be something.

EDIT: Book is about Artair Ordway. Ordway is pig Latin for “word”. It’s the New World Computing dungeon so almost certainly an Easter Egg there somewhere.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I went to Mire of Damned because of the merchant trainer. On foot. One of my characters got drunk after a harpy attack. She is singing too loudly, I am afraid the monsters will hear it. How can I cure that condition? I cannot rest because its full of skeletons, ghosts etc.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom