Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
MM9 paper dolls are an insult to the franchise. The game is not as bad as often advertised though.

I think Darkside's art design and color palette are great. Wonderful refresher from Clouds generic fantasy style, although Clouds isn't bad at what it's trying to do, and most of the art design is a straight improvement over Isles of Terra. Although yes, Red Dwarf Mines are probably the single worst dungeon in any MM game, especially on repeat playthroughs.

And don't listen to the haters, MMX is good. I don't know that it feels very much like a MM game, but it is a good blobber.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Darkside's art design and color palette are great. Wonderful refresher from Clouds generic fantasy style, although Clouds isn't bad at what it's trying to do, and most of the art design is a straight improvement over Isles of Terra. Although yes, Red Dwarf Mines are probably the single worst dungeon in any MM game, especially on repeat playthroughs.

And don't listen to the haters, MMX is good. I don't know that it feels very much like a MM game, but it is a good blobber.

I remember being all fired up about playing the next M&M after either VII or VIII and so bought Dark Messiah.

That was... different.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyways, my guys are now lvl 13, have won about 450 fights, and I've become rather disgusted by the level scaling, which is worse than I remembered it to be.
I've made no secret of my hatred of MM2's level scaling in the past, but reading your posts I'm starting to wonder if you had misremembered how bad it was or if there really is a difference between platforms, something I had never thought of before. I think the DOS version is identical to the Apple II but the Amiga version came out after both (Apple II 1988, DOS 1989, Amiga 1990).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyways, my guys are now lvl 13, have won about 450 fights, and I've become rather disgusted by the level scaling, which is worse than I remembered it to be.
I've made no secret of my hatred of MM2's level scaling in the past, but reading your posts I'm starting to wonder if you had misremembered how bad it was or if there really is a difference between platforms, something I had never thought of before. I think the DOS version is identical to the Apple II but the Amiga version came out after both (Apple II 1988, DOS 1989, Amiga 1990).

There are some difference with the Amiga versions. But I only finished that once.
Last time I played it was the DOS version, but I didn't notice the level scaling so much, then. But then I didn't look for it either. Truly, ignorance is bliss...

So far it seems the only areas with real level scaling are Middlegate, Middlegate Cavern, Druid's Cave and Nomadic Rift's Cave which have an upper limit, and area E2 which has a high lower limit. Otherwise all the surface areas seem to be equally dangerous, except for the differences in fixed encounters and stuff like earthquakes and volcano eruptions. There was level scaling in MM1 too, but it was more subtle; I guess it was combined more with area scaling than in MM2.

But I'm still enjoying the game, and my guys are now lvl 15.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After playing WoX I could never feel the magic of M&M VI-VIII (played them all, hated the change to pseudo 3D and free form hybrid real-time action).
M&M IX was a little better (gfx were hugely improved for example, the jarring sprites were gone), if shorter, more linear and focused.

But M&M X is the best "modern" M&M game, by far. Even if it could be larger.

X is slow

It undeniably plays much slower than any of III-VIII (I never actually played IX). It also has far more complex combat than any other MM games besides the first two. That's not to say X is hard (it's not), but especially in the early game you can't just mash the "A" button and roflstomp through hordes and hordes of enemies.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Made it to lvl 17 before my first party death.
HpQozRf.jpg

That was on day 89. On day 93, which is Nature's Day, this square is safe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How did you end up walking into the Dead Zone? A tract of land so ruinous that to enter it is to die, according to Corak's Travelogue.

Cockiness and overconfidence.
I had forgotten Corak's notes, but I recalled that in MM3 radiation only aged you, and since I knew that "Murray's Rejuvenates" I thought I'd take the chance. And of course, it was only right after that I found a Star Bow...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man III is sweet. Feeling that VI/VII magic already.
It is by far my favorite of the series; while 1&2 were pretty much Wizardry clones looking for an identity, with Isles of Terra everything game together for Might and Magic.
The combat became less strategic since the shift of the franchise was more towards exploration, but with its great graphics (which still hold up today) fun gameplay and enormously additive created the Might and Magic formula that was the base for everything after it
Simply superb

daivin

Novice
III was the best IMHO.
IV was too short, but combined with V it was ok though.

I liked the very colored world, with large lands to explore. It was a big change from usual crypt and grey dungeons exploration.
Technically, it was exactly the same than exploring a dungeon except seeing differents gfx, i knew it. And NWC was not the first to do that.
But it has been the first time i've felt the wind blowing, and the breath of big spaces to conquer.

And the III - IV - V were easy. I was so happy to have an automap and the « wizard's eye » , instead of painfully draw maps by hand.

I've played a bit to VI , but i didn't liked the switch to 3D and hybrid battle system.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I remember seeing this game in a video rental store.
Box-416.jpg

Box-Back-421.jpg

Hmmm.... Can't say I like the music all that much for NES. I'd prefer some hp/sp stats on main display.

What's with the owl? This isn't Psygnosis eh... w/e (courtesy of spritersresource)
jVg3xcb.png

I0LIWvz.jpg

Oddities & GamFaq
Retrogames
NES MANUAL
Hardcore Gaming 101
MM Fandom
Mobygames MM NES screenies
The AWESOME MUSIC!!

Newbie Guide
I should compare the map to the ones i did back in the 80s.
The-World-of-Varn.png

GOG said:
Posted February 14, 2018
Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum
At the beginning,nes version only has one character. But dos version has more people.
Is the nes version easier than dos? Can add more member at the beginning?

You should be able to add more characters at the inn.

There are a few differences between the versions. I haven't played either of them, but I have watched some videos, particularly those of the NES version, and I know of a couple of differences:

1. In the NES version, you need to be level 3 to leave the starting town; that is not the case in the DOS version.

2. Locust Plagues are deadly in the NES version, to the point where I consider it to not be fair. If you are playing the NES version and you see a Locust Plague, kill it before it has a chance to attack; failure to do so is game over. Seriously, they're that bad. In the DOS version, Locust Plagues are a lot more tame, as they can only do 10 damage per action, which is manageable. In the NES version, they do 255 damage, killing whoever gets hit; and when that happens, the round restarts (I believe), and if the Locust Plague is faster than your party (very likely), it will get another turn. The result is a game over.

Whether NES is easier than DOS is a question I can't answer, but it is a good idea to know about Locust Plagues, as that particular enemy makes the game unfair when encountered; if even just one gets a chance to attack, your entire party will get wiped out.

(The NES version also, to my understanding, has a bug that can transform items into other items, which can be exploited to get you an advantage or to get key items without actually having to earn them properly.)

Edit: If the Locust Plague is in the front row at the start of the battle, running away might be a good idea, (NES version)

Romhacking FORUM
NES romhack Restoration
NES romhack fixer

RPG CODEX ON SNES MM2
NES MM cutting room floor

Pervy humanoids?
jTiP6pk.jpg

I do like the various console cover artwork:
Wt3Nk5z.jpg

WGieRRE.jpg

Last edited:

DaveO

Erudite
I did see an aborted Let's Play of the Chaos Conspiracy mod to MM6 by Big Daddy Jim. Has anyone here played thru the mod besides the one LP attempt?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
First I've heard of it. I guess I never figured those games could be modded.

edit... hmmm i'm sure this was covered somewhere.. 6-7-8 merge mod.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just sliced and diced the 3 Cuisinarts in MM2. It's absolutely crazy how much XP you get from them. My eight guys went from lvl 19-24.
A Staff +17 was not much loot to brag about.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I did see an aborted Let's Play of the Chaos Conspiracy mod to MM6 by Big Daddy Jim. Has anyone here played thru the mod besides the one LP attempt?

Didn't complete part 1, the difficulty increase is alright on regular mobs since you can nuke them from afar but they went too far with magic users, lichs and druids offer an autistic challenge (curse + drain mana to 0 ).
There's dungeons filled with hundreds of them and they respawn when you get out.

First I've heard of it. I guess I never figured those games could be modded.

edit... hmmm i'm sure this was covered sonewhere.. 6-7-8 merge mod.

The merge mod is quite good if you can bear to go through 2 or 3 of them at once.
Still even 6 in 8's engine is quite nice, some QoL improvements, better SE...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing IX and sure enough that same deja vu I got from KotR. Had no idea I'd played this game before. It's barren but not awful. Wonder what it would cost to hire the original programmers to finish it.

That would be in interesting genre.

DaveO

Erudite
The Merge mod is unfiinshed at the moment. I'll complete my Hybrid LP first on my channel for MM6.

I also found an update to Chaos Conspiracy so it might be worth a play now.

EDIT - I decided to download the Merge mod. It will be my next LP of M&M after I finish my MM6 Hybrid LP videos.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I saw on mobygames disc versions of MMX but they are in foreign languages? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those if there was english language and no need for ubisoft online crap.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I also found an update to Chaos Conspiracy so it might be worth a play now.
Is it? I've played it and it was a chore later, with colossus immune to almost everything and not-that-great 2nd part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom