Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
I also fucking hate the fact that you CAN'T MOVE IN TURN-BASED MODE (or am I fucking missing something here?)
You're not, they reintroduced moving while in combat in MM7. I have to admit I rarely used TB in MM6 because of the lack of movement, and mostly used it as a "shitshitshit" button because trying to do pure magic battles in RT is impossible (unless you're spamming the same quickspell over and over). I did find the combat to be a step back from 3-5 (and as I hinted in my previous post, the biggest step back) but it didn't bother me that much. Some of the encounters themselves are pretty crazy (see Temple of Baa in Ironfist).

MEH. Give me back my iron wizards.
Just wait until you get to the Control Center :smug:
The early enemies are pretty boring, true, but once you get to the more powerful ones that have spells that can rape you, it gets more fun. MM7 ruined this again by introducing too many protection spells against just about ANY negative effect enemies can cast, so you can end up having a party that's invulnerable to all damage.

SkeleTony said:
Dungeon design was pretty damned good, the game system(debuting in M&M 6) was better than most CRPG systems, multiple races(that M&M 6 lacked), fun classes.
In 7? dungeons were terrible. They were way, way too small. The only large dungeon I remember was the Tunnels to Nighon, and they manage to be very, very boring. The character system, on the other hand, was a huge improvement over 6 in all aspects. The nicest aspect is that it's pretty much impossible to have a party that can do everything at GM level, so you have to compromise somewhere. 8 took a step back in this respect by allowing "ultimate parties" to exist.

Just the overall FEEL of the game is remarkable! Running around from one city/zone to another
That's actually the weakest thing about MM7. The overworld is TINY, I think even smaller than 8's. There are several overworld areas that you have to go through stupid hoops to access (eg you have to go through TWO large, long, tough dungeons to get to Nighon). Compare to 6, where from your starting position you can be standing outside the final dungeon within 2 minutes (where you will of course be raped quite hard). In fact one of the biggest charms about MM was that you could go where you wanted on the overworld, provided you could survive the local inhabitants; 7 was the first one to break this.

Archibald said:
I remember launching it just to play some acromage matches, can`t say that i launched any other game just to play its minigame for 1-2 hours. 6 was good but imo 7 did almost everything better
Again, everything except for the overworld and the dungeons, in other words THE 2 attractions of the M&M series...

Arcomage was a fucking amazing minigame though. I also launched 7 (then 8 when it came out) a few times just to play a few rounds of Arcomage. AND it's entirely optional. This is the way minigames should be.

DaveO

Erudite
The massive problem with the non-DOS Might & Magic games is that aside from the ending cinematic nobody recognizes that you've done anything different. Of the modern ones, #6 is the best because you could sandbox around although the amount of combat hit tedious levels.

For Might & Magic 8, the game can be enjoyable if you don't use the Dragon in your party. Even without the Dragon, you could recruit a level 50 character very quickly and there are other areas of broken design.

Stabwound

Arcane
It makes my blackened heart happy to see that World of Xeen is the highest rated here. I really need to finish that game some time, but it's huge.

Zomg

Arbiter
II had interesting ideas with the party splitting stuff. I wish they had done more of that with the series (obviously you'd need a large number of interface improvements and so on). I'd like to see a Wiz/MM/BT-like that had you moving characters in and out of the party constantly, sending out multiple parties for simultaneous goal, etc. I guess JA2 was the successor there :lol:

II was messed up on a lot of other levels though so it's not really in the running for best all-around. I think maybe III would be the best of the ones I've played (not 6+) if it had Xeen's inventory improvements, but it doesn't.

dr. one

Augur
Sceptic said:
In 7? dungeons were terrible. They were way, way too small.

hm, i´d say they were of reasonable size. on the other hand, the ones in MM6 were way, way too large given how little variety of content each of them offered, aka fighting through hundreds of same enemies in mostly empty corridors. tomb of VARN ruled though, and dungeon like this is indeed what MM7 is unfortunately missing and pretty much the main reason why MM7´s endgame is worse than MM6´s.
for the rest of the game, the modest size of MM7´s dungeons was a plus imo.

Sceptic said:
the overworld and the dungeons, in other words THE 2 attractions of the M&M series
you´re missing the third, imo the THEst attraction - building your party.
and that´s aspect where MM7 is definitely superior to MM6.

Archibald

Arcane
you´re missing the third, imo the THEst attraction - building your party.

I agree. This is also why at first it thought that MM8 is good, looking thru those possible party members and thinking how to build your party with what is aviable but then you suddenly realise that it doesn`t matter because there is a bunch of overpowered high level heroes aviable.

reaven

Educated
Im playing m&m 6 for the first time, and Im getting raped by hordes of goblins

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
reaven said:

Like a lot of older games, it's hard when you first play it and have no idea WTF is going on but easy once you understand it (and know where all the good stuff is ) :smug:

DaveO

Erudite
Bows rule, and you can get them very early at Castle Ironfist in MM6. You can take just the bows and get thru about 20% of the overland maps with a low level party. Training is much shorter in MM6 than the sequels since you could train multiple levels in about a week's time.

In regards to MM8, the whole swappable party idea might have worked if there were not so many exploits. Cauri Blackthorne is the largest party exploit besides dragons in a party.

DaveO

Erudite
For Swords of Xeen, I still have my edited walkthru for that game. I finished at least two or three times, with the final dungeon uploaded to my channel. I was thinking of jumping to MM6 and then doing Swords. Both would take some time though since I'm planning to stop videos on my channel after I finish MM8 and until I land a new job and have worked for six consecutive months.

I'll still record videos, but uploading new content has to take a back seat if I don't want to recareer after not even a decade of different technical support positions.

Zeus

Cipher
I can't believe the weird looking 3D M&M games are getting so much more love than Might & Magic 3. Were they really that good? I never played one, but I remember them being a huge disappointment when they came out.

DaveO

Erudite
MM6 was not bad for the first 3D entry of the M&M franchise. The massive problem is that 3DO/NWC demanded a new game within one year and thus some things had to take a backseat to please the bean counters.

SkeleTony

Augur
Sceptic said:
SkeleTony said:
Dungeon design was pretty damned good, the game system(debuting in M&M 6) was better than most CRPG systems, multiple races(that M&M 6 lacked), fun classes.
In 7? dungeons were terrible. They were way, way too small. The only large dungeon I remember was the Tunnels to Nighon, and they manage to be very, very boring.

False all around. I mean I guess you could say "War and Peace" is too short as well and that would be your opinion and that is fine but let's be clear here...

Also "bigger" does not = "better". I can barely slow through many of the 'large' dungeons of earlier M&Ms because they are boring but that is just me I guess. M&M 7 was just about perfect in regards to size vs. quality in dungeon design.

The character system, on the other hand, was a huge improvement over 6 in all aspects. The nicest aspect is that it's pretty much impossible to have a party that can do everything at GM level, so you have to compromise somewhere. 8 took a step back in this respect by allowing "ultimate parties" to exist.

8 also did that stupid 'Race = class' thing and allowed you to play all sorts of inappropriate monsters and shit didn't it? But yeah...I agree with you on the character aspect.

Just the overall FEEL of the game is remarkable! Running around from one city/zone to another
That's actually the weakest thing about MM7.

False.

The overworld is TINY, I think even smaller than 8's. There are several overworld areas that you have to go through stupid hoops to access (eg you have to go through TWO large, long, tough dungeons to get to Nighon).

I will grant you that the "hoops" could have been better designed and less of a chore and also that the world itself could have been bigger, but that last is due solely to the fact that the game was so fantastic it left you wanting more. One of the few CRPGs where I did not get burned out half way through.

But fuck i THINK I am greatly understating things to say there are FAR worse dungeons(in other games) that are far more popular than the tunnels to Nighon.

Compare to 6, where from your starting position you can be standing outside the final dungeon within 2 minutes (where you will of course be raped quite hard).

Waitaminute...you think this is a GOOD thing? I am the biggest advocate for non-linear freedom in CRPGs there is but being able to get to the final dungeon from the starting position when you cannot possibly accomplish anything but your death is no more non-linear freedom than being forced along a rail from 'A' to 'B' to...

In fact one of the biggest charms about MM was that you could go where you wanted on the overworld, provided you could survive the local inhabitants; 7 was the first one to break this.

Nah...in 7 you have freedom to go where you want in as much as anyone will want to or could. being able to walk into a megadragon's lair at level one is not freedom. You are prevented from going there in all meaningful ways just as if they designed the game preventing you from being able to go there. I mean in 7 you have the freedom to kill your party right after you start if that is what turns you on so I don't see your point here.

Archibald said:
I remember launching it just to play some acromage matches, can`t say that i launched any other game just to play its minigame for 1-2 hours. 6 was good but imo 7 did almost everything better
Again, everything except for the overworld and the dungeons, in other words THE 2 attractions of the M&M series...

Nope...7 was better in these areas as well. Just better all around.

Arcomage was a fucking amazing minigame though. I also launched 7 (then 8 when it came out) a few times just to play a few rounds of Arcomage. AND it's entirely optional. This is the way minigames should be.

Agreed. Aside from the bugs within the arcomage game it was worth the price of admission by itself! I wish I could get it working on my current PC(the standalone game that is. M&M7 runs perfectly well with Mok's patch).

Luzur

Good Sir
well, MM6 was new and fresh when it came out, i remember watching the trailer on the Heroes disc and being very excited about it, like, "wow, shit! a new Might and Magic game? i thought it ended with Might and Magic 5!!", then i forgot it completely and about a year later i saw the box in a store.

i remember i had to nag on my dad to buy it for me since i didnt have any money back then (not much atleast) and was blown away by the intro video and was almost shaking before finally getting it started after making the party.

free mode got me confused though at first, i thought the enemies would stop and go turn-based when they reached you, so i just stood there waiting.

SkeleTony

Augur
Zeus said:
I can't believe the weird looking 3D M&M games are getting so much more love than Might & Magic 3. Were they really that good? I never played one, but I remember them being a huge disappointment when they came out.

Nah...when M&M 6 came out it did so to overwhelmingly positive reviews. I still have the old "Computer Gaming World" issues from right after it's release. I understand nostaligia and all and I am as guilty as anyone of succumbing to that feeling but objectively the M&M 6 & 7 were better than M&M 1-3, IMO.

Zeus

Cipher
SkeleTony said:
Nah...when M&M 6 came out it did so to overwhelmingly positive reviews. I still have the old "Computer Gaming World" issues from right after it's release.

You're right, looks like it was much better received than I remembered. Maybe I'm just thinking of Might and Magic VIII. There was a lot of crushing disappointment in either Computer Gaming World or Computer Games & Strategy Plus.

SkeleTony said:
objectively... IMO.

*twitch*

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Warning: incoming wall of text.

DaveO said:
The massive problem with the non-DOS Might & Magic games is that aside from the ending cinematic nobody recognizes that you've done anything different.
Did anyone ever reconize anything in any of the previous M&M games? I doubt it. Honestly though, I never saw any point in continuing to play past the endgame in any game that allows you to do it, except in Morrowind where you got a whole bunch of new quests (and all of them involved killing people too!). Well in WOX too, but that's because you HAD to load the endgame save to continue after Clouds, and then again to continue onto the special WOX sequence after completing both Clouds and Darkside.

For Might & Magic 8, the game can be enjoyable if you don't use the Dragon in your party. Even without the Dragon, you could recruit a level 50 character very quickly and there are other areas of broken design.
2 level 50 chars can be recruited pretty easily. Cauri's is TOO easy to get (just run through Murmurwoods to where you are specifically told she is...), and once you have her getting Blazen becomes a joke. Which is hilarious because you get Blazen's daughter AFTER you already rescued him, and she's like 30 levels weaker. Also it's entirely possible to race through the MQ to the point where ALL level 50 chars become available (namely after you sink the pirate fleet). At this point your own char can easily be as low as 20 (less maybe). Anyway some of the l50 chars completely break the game - Vetrinus is GM in all elemental skills, and getting the GM trainers by itself is supposed to be very tough, but you never need to. As for dragons even the level 5 one is game-breaking, and let's not even talk about the l50 one...

Zomg said:
I'd like to see a Wiz/MM/BT-like that had you moving characters in and out of the party constantly, sending out multiple parties for simultaneous goal, etc.
Wiz3 had this. IIRC you had to alternate between the Good and the Evil party to get things done. Nice idea, a little annoying. But MM2's "no [race]" areas were a complete waste of time. The class quests were an interesting idea, but then all of them except for the Cleric's and Sorcerer's were "go kil lthis guy/gal". Waste of time.

II was messed up on a lot of other levels though so it's not really in the running for best all-around. I think maybe III would be the best of the ones I've played (not 6+) if it had Xeen's inventory improvements, but it doesn't.
2 messed up in too many things. Combat encounters are fucking awful, with a large number of "255 of X". Square Lake Cavern is possibly one of the worst final dungeons to ever grace a CRPG. Entire MQ is padding after padding after padding. Overworld isn't as intersting or diverse any of the DOS games, and is also the only one IIRC to have the very, very stupid wrapping around at edges (completely contradicting one of the very plot elements of the game too...). All in all I easily classify it as the worst of the DOS games, and down there with 9 if you consider the entire series.

dr. one said:
hm, i´d say they were of reasonable size. on the other hand, the ones in MM6 were way, way too large given how little variety of content each of them offered
Gharik's Forge, Temple of Baa (all of them), Tomb of VARN, Castle Darkmoor ( :smug: ), Castle Kriegspire... I'd say they were pretty memorable in design. I have very vivid memories of MM6 dungeons and almost none of MM7 ones, even though I played 7 more often and more recently. 7's were just too short to establish any kind of atmosphere or feeling of exploration.

you´re missing the third, imo the THEst attraction - building your party. and that´s aspect where MM7 is definitely superior to MM6.
That was never an attraction of M&M, at least not before 6. But yes, I've already said 7 did this way better - in fact I'd say 7 is the best one in the entires series at this, followed closely by 3. It's definitely a big attraction in 7 because it's so carefully balanced. Unfortunately the game being much easier than 6 diminishes from the impact of carefully building a party.

reaven said:
MM6 is by far the hardest of the 3D ones. You'll have to take it slowly, go back and use the wells in New Sorpigal as much as possible, rest when the wells run out, and generally take your time. Combat gets easier in the mid-game, then gets harder again once you hit spellcasters that can insta-kill you (and unlike MM7 Prot from Magic will NOT make you immune to insta-death).

SkeleTony said:
False all around. I mean I guess you could say "War and Peace" is too short as well and that would be your opinion and that is fine but let's be clear here...
Are you seriously comparing MM7's 5-room dungeons to fucking War and Peace? Seriously?

A better analogy: it's like claiming Modern Warfare 2's SP campaign is too short.

Also "bigger" does not = "better". I can barely slow through many of the 'large' dungeons of earlier M&Ms because they are boring but that is just me I guess. M&M 7 was just about perfect in regards to size vs. quality in dungeon design.
Which earlier MMs? 6's were the largest in the entire series. 3-5? 5's were pretty large, but in most cases the size was perfect. 3-4's were very average (in size; in design, 3 had some great ones). If you thought these were large dungeons I can understand you'd fine 6's impossibly huge, but then I'd advise you to run away at the mere mention of Bard's Tale or Wizardry, or hell even Ultima.

8 also did that stupid 'Race = class' thing and allowed you to play all sorts of inappropriate monsters and shit didn't it?
I thought the race=class thing was a nice idea IN THEORY, as well as being pretty unique, but it didn't turn out so hot when it came to execution and its effect on gameplay.

Care to elaborate?

I will grant you that the "hoops" could have been better designed and less of a chore and also that the world itself could have been bigger, but that last is due solely to the fact that the game was so fantastic it left you wanting more.
The problem isn't just with the world being small, it's also with its design not making any sense as one world. Look at 6, at how each area connects to the next, how each area spills onto the next, at how the whole thing feels continuous and organic. Now compare to 7 (and 8), where each area exists in its own little vacuum and has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other areas. 6 is one coherent world split in a 3x5 grid. 7 is discreet areas that could've easily been connected to each other in any combination without anyone noticing something was off. And to add insult to injury, 3 of the areas cannot be accessed without going through dungeon-crawling hoops and a 4th one is a tutorial area that you can never go back to. Oh and did I mention that 2 of the towns are inaccessible for no clear reason until 2/3rd into the game? This is a fucking M&M game we're talking about! this is the series that CREATED first-person open gameworlds!

But fuck i THINK I am greatly understating things to say there are FAR worse dungeons(in other games) that are far more popular than the tunnels to Nighon.
Of course there are. MM7 dungeons are still good to excellent. The fact that they are not as good as 6's (or 3's or 5's) is a testament to how great dungeon design can get in the series, NOT an indication that MM7 is a bad game.

Waitaminute...you think this is a GOOD thing? I am the biggest advocate for non-linear freedom in CRPGs there is but being able to get to the final dungeon from the starting position when you cannot possibly accomplish anything but your death is no more non-linear freedom than being forced along a rail from 'A' to 'B' to...
The game HAS been completed by level 1 parties, so you CAN accomplish enough to finish the game (not by running straight for the final dungeon of course... you can't get the proper ending without having the Ritual of the Void). And do I think it's a good thing? As I said above THIS is what DEFINED Might and Magic: the ability to go anywhere and, as long as you could survive, do what you want, whenever you want. You may dislike it, but whether you like it or not this is what the series was built on. Some of the games strayed from this, namely 4 (though it was only linear in parts) and 7, but all the other games stayed true to this freedom. 6 did it particularly well in that it was as open-ended as 1 - and going back to the roots in this particular instance was a big, big thing for us old-time fans, much more so than the little references ("New" Sorpigal, Irongist, Lord Kilburn, etc)

Nah...in 7 you have freedom to go where you want in as much as anyone will want to or could. being able to walk into a megadragon's lair at level one is not freedom.
7 does not give you freedom to go where you want, see detailed explanation above.
Being able to walk in a megadragon's lair at level 1 IS freedom. Have I mentioned people HAVE done level 1 runs of MM6?

You are prevented from going there in all meaningful ways just as if they designed the game preventing you from being able to go there. I mean in 7 you have the freedom to kill your party right after you start if that is what turns you on so I don't see your point here.
Neither of these statements make any sense. Please elaborate/explain.

Nope...7 was better in these areas as well. Just better all around.
I've offered arguments why 6 was better. Care to offer arguments why 7 was?

Agreed. Aside from the bugs within the arcomage game it was worth the price of admission by itself! I wish I could get it working on my current PC
I don't remember any real bugs with Arcomage. As for the stand-alone game, it works on XP, never tried it on Vista/7. And yeah, I almost bought it at the time, but then didn't and ended up downloading it a few years ago. The game was fucking addictive!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
reaven said:

Hint: exploit stupid AI and ranged weapons. This is the key to understanding playing M&M6.

made

Arcane
Zomg said:
II had interesting ideas with the party splitting stuff. I wish they had done more of that with the series (obviously you'd need a large number of interface improvements and so on). I'd like to see a Wiz/MM/BT-like that had you moving characters in and out of the party constantly, sending out multiple parties for simultaneous goal, etc. I guess JA2 was the successor there :lol:
Fate: Gates of Dawn did something along those lines. You had multiple parties and could switch between them at will, send them off separately or work together to solve certain puzzles. There were like 10 races and 40 classes with unique skills and abilities that offered additional quest solutions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom