Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 213 28.6%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
MM5:
Is there a way to get the treasure hidden inside walls, in the south-western part of the Necropolis Sewers?
Teleport and Etherealize do not work.
The "Where Are We" built-in map says it contains 220000 gold and a bunch of great Lev7 items.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I have a deep philosophical question I've been ruminating on for too long. How does everyone distribute their horseshoes in MM6?
I give them to whomever can have immidiate benefit (in the form of going from for example Expert to Master) from them. If several characters qualify the one with the most useful/important skill will be the lucky one.

Kayato

Literate
MM5:
Is there a way to get the treasure hidden inside walls, in the south-western part of the Necropolis Sewers?
Teleport and Etherealize do not work.
The "Where Are We" built-in map says it contains 220000 gold and a bunch of great Lev7 items.
Are you sure about the teleporter ban? I'm pretty sure I've always cleared dungeons 100% and so I think I've done that too. This should be a corridor of 3 spaces with lava and a chest. Have you tried to see if the wall is fake from the south? Maybe from the city above?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Yes, tried everything: Teleport, Etherealize, Bash, and just try walking through walls, from all sides (except the west side obviously) I'm using the (floppy) GOG version Are you using the Mac version? DOS CD version?

Kayato

Literate
I launched the game and tried it, the teleportation spell works for me. I have the GOG version of WoX and launch the CD version

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Interesting. Maybe they fixed it for the CD version. Too bad I can't test it myself, I have both versions but my save game is for the GOG floppy but no save game to test the CD version with.
I have read that it does fix a tavern saving bug in MM4 Shangri La. The bug teleports you inside solid dirt in the floppy version

Kayato

Literate
Since you are using WhereAreWe check what it tells you about the sewers. There should be a window (I don't remember the name) that indicates the active spells on the party and the map features and you should see a "Teleport ban" entry with "true or false" to understand if they actually inserted different values between the floppy version and that CD.

Kayato

Literate
We learned something new. Since this is obviously an oversight, you can use WhereAreWe's teleporter to fix it.

I give them to whomever can have immidiate benefit (in the form of going from for example Expert to Master) from them. If several characters qualify the one with the most useful/important skill will be the lucky one.

Yeah rushing Water Magic is a pretty big deal.

Rudra

Literate
Hello all!

I've recently become interested in this franchise, due to some...personal circumstances requiring that I look at games I normally wouldn't for my entertainment needs. I've never really played a blobber before, and I've decided to go with the 6-7-8 Merge Mod because best I can tell it's a good way to get eased into the kind of gameplay in this series.

This isnt the kind of game I usually play - my favorite RPG of all time is Dragon Age Origins, for example, but something's changed in me and I find myself gravitating to older games I never had the chance to try

Any beginner tips/tricks? any advice? Any other party based RPGS with large/interesting worlds to explore?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Any beginner tips/tricks? any advice?
Get the Bow skill and a ranged weapon for every party member, it really helps.
Fight most fights in turn-based mode. Makes them easier.
Get Water Magic mastery on a sorcerer/necromancer as soon as possible. Makes travel a lot easier. To unlock a city as a valid Town Portal target, you need to drink from the main fountain.
Another great quality of life improvement is the Dark Magic spell Shrapmetal. Highest damage per cast (tho such low-level spells as Sparks and Poison Spray actually have higher damage per mana output).
Don't be afraid to explore various regions! The towns you can reach by ship and/or coach are mostly safe.
Fix the saturation of MM7 in the Merge config files to enhance your enjoyment of that part. I posted the solution in this thread, run a search of my posts.
The reputation system is broken in the MMMerge mod, so when you're in MM6, DO NOT return the Candelabra to the Baa cultist in the New Sorpigal inn. Unless you want to fight all the town guards. You might also want to look up the console command to alter reputation.
Drakmoor is love, Drakmoor is un(life). Drakmoor yearns for you.

Never played the merge, but:

- Pay attention mainly to whether you can expert/master/grandmaster a skill. Sometimes their bonuses make or break the entire skill (e.g. missing out on adding your skill to damage). Others are irrelevant (e.g. for armor/shield skills the most important breakpoint is eliminating recovery penalty on your attacks since DPS is king).
- Stats are weird as fuck. It's like D&D in that only specific benchmarks (for D&D even numbers) add a +1, but for M&M the amount needed goes up massively over time. You can see the numbers here: https://grayface.github.io/mm/mechanics/. What this means is that your stats matter a lot in the early game but literally not at all by the mid and late game. A 25 might character vs a 5 might character has a +10 to damage, but by the midgame when you've hit a few shrines, drank some black potions, used some barrels, a 125 might character has only a +1 advantage over a 105 might character, and they'll be doing like 50 damage per attack so its only a 2% increase while at level 1 you're dealing like 10 damage per attack so its a 100% increase. You do need specific levels of stats to unlock certain things but generally temp stat boosts let you qualify.
- Don't be stingy on spending skill points. Like me keeping bow for everyone at 1 despite killing 90% of enemies for the first 5 hours with bows. I still do it anyway but don't be me.
- The things you want to rush are generally water and air magic because they both provide fantastic quality of life spells along with Sparks being the workhorse shotgun damage spell for your elemental casters. You want to rush to unlock light or dark magic but they are powerful enough at what they do that you don't need to stockpile points and wait for them, just a few ranks is enough for them to be overpowered (of course you do eventually want to make them your strongest skills).
- Almost all spells that inflict a status ailment on an enemy either don't work or work so rarely they are useless.
- Skills not to care about: Identify item (Get a scholar hireling to identify everything, don't worry about it early because shops are nice in M&M and pay you full price for unid-ed items), Identify monster (lmao wtf), Learning (the bonus XP is only from kills which is a fraction of total XP meaning it takes forever to pay off, though this might be different in merge if you're doing all 3 games I dunno). You can also kind of ignore Earth magic as the least useful school, though the Telekinesis spell can replace the Disarm skill.
- Assuming you're playing with Greyface patch I recommend trying shooter mode (turn on in the .ini). It's kind of an overhaul to how the game plays. Check the readme for how it works.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Learning (the bonus XP is only from kills which is a fraction of total XP meaning it takes forever to pay off, though this might be different in merge if you're doing all 3 games I dunno)
I think Merge fixed this and it now applies to quest XP too.
- Assuming you're playing with Greyface patch I recommend trying shooter mode (turn on in the .ini). It's kind of an overhaul to how the game plays. Check the readme for how it works.
Merge includes Greyface, and mouse look is enabled by default

Speaking of which! Rudra, in some cases (MM7 Golem quest, most notably) you will need to access your followers panel. In order to be able to do that, you need to switch off the mouse look (caps lock does that) and click the little head icon in the right(?) of the UI.

Merge includes Greyface, and mouse look is enabled by default
Shooter mode is a separate option from just mouselook.

Set ShooterMode=1 to enable FPS-like mode. Press attack button to toggle the fight mode, then press left mouse button to attack and right button to use quick spell. Regular quick spell button also works. No auto-targeting is done. A sword icon indicates this mode, which also shows health of target (or last hit) monster.

The main thing (aside from being more fun hosing down mobs with blasters) is no auto aim so you can decide where your spells go in real time and use AoE spells like fireball better by targetting the ground as opposed to aiming at something and missing because they are constantly strafing.

EDIT: I will say it can make very small enemies a bit annoying to fight as you need pixel perfect aim. You can still fight normally though, just be aware that you need to switch to that if you're swinging for several minutes at rats and not getting anywhere.

Last edited:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Any beginner tips/tricks?
Start in New Sorpigal. There is a Fly scroll in the wall of the bank. Travel to Castle Ironfist using the stables. Travel to Darkmoor. A little north there is Castle Darkmoor. Use the fly scroll to fly up to the entrance. This is the beginner dungeon.
P.S. very important: use only a Level1 party to enter.
You will never forget the experience. And never forgive me.

Rudra

Literate
Start in New Sorpigal. There is a Fly scroll in the wall of the bank. Travel to Castle Ironfist using the stables. Travel to Darkmoor. A little north there is Castle Darkmoor. Use the fly scroll to fly up to the entrance. This is the beginner dungeon.
hmm seems trustworthy enough :p

Thanks all who replied and gave me suggestions

Don't completely get forum etiquette, havent really used one before. Am I supposed to quote everyone individually?

Any beginner tips/tricks?
This is actually funnier when he goes back to Darkmoor 30 levels later and it still rapes him

Rudra

Literate
I know the standard RPG gameplay ideas of "go everywhere you can and talk to everyone" but is there something M&M specific I should be watching out for?

I'm not expecting my hand held as I figure out the game, but there's a difference between "a challenge you have to think to overcome within the game constraints" and "this will fuck you over 50 hours in and you had no way to know"

cthscr

Novice
Never played the merge, but:

- Skills not to care about: Identify item (Get a scholar hireling to identify everything
Hehe. 23.07.2023:
Forgot to mention change of scholar NPC follower: ability to identify any kind of items have been taken away, instead he's able to identify apparel only (boots, gloves, rings, amulets, wands, belts, capes, spell scrolls and spell books). Being able to identify anything just by having 5% gold penalty made Identify skill completely useless. Besides that, NPC clearly states, he's been studying to identify any magical item, thus i think change is fair.

you will need to access your followers panel. In order to be able to do that, you need to switch off the mouse look (caps lock does that) and click the little head icon in the right(?) of the UI.
Why don't you just press 0? (Or whatever button you've assigned in Menu-Controls-Extra Settings-Keybinds)

Learning (the bonus XP is only from kills which is a fraction of total XP meaning it takes forever to pay off, though this might be different in merge if you're doing all 3 games I dunno)
I think Merge fixed this and it now applies to quest XP too.
In Revamp only.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hello all!

I've recently become interested in this franchise, due to some...personal circumstances requiring that I look at games I normally wouldn't for my entertainment needs. I've never really played a blobber before, and I've decided to go with the 6-7-8 Merge Mod because best I can tell it's a good way to get eased into the kind of gameplay in this series.
6-8 are not really proper blobbers, since your blob doesn't move on a grid.
MM3 or 4 is a better introduction to a real blobber, or Dungeon Master if you want to try a real time blobber.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom