Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime The mistake a lot of modern boomer shooters make

GamerCat_

Educated
Write me an essay about the Euroshmup's simulationist tendencies compared to Japan's high-level-abstracted arcade design culture and the implications it has on my boner
Euroshmup's are a thing. And the first result you get looking into them is rather funny.

Also a youtuber I'm vaguely familiar with (I don't consider him too sharp) has a video on the topic.

The way this guy tries to look at games could make for a nice teaching moment. Probably better to post here than in his comments (he ignored my last textwall).

The problem with this video is that he does and doesn't talk about euroshmups like they're their own thing. On one hand, he calls them a distinct thing. They have their own name, and he doesn't want them tarnishing his beloved true Japanese Arcade Shmups by association. He says this, but then he still judges them as failed japanese shmups.

He identifies inertia as the defining trait of a euroshmup. More essential than the origin of its creators is the implementation of inertia against player movement inputs. And then he draws a very badly thought out metaphor which I think is demonstrative. He says that inertia in a shmup is like playing tennis with a stick. He then talks about tennis, how if we played with a stick the game would EVOLVE around the stick. That's my point, if we change something fundamental and keep going along that trajectory, we're now doing something different. At a certain point we're no longer playing tennis. As far as I know there is nobody still calling American Football "Bad Rugby". But at some point that might have been plausible. When would it stop being plausible? Of course there's no real answer.

Now you can say that one is more or less fun than the other, no accounting for taste, and all forms create and cut off possibilities.

Now, a good question we should be asking if we want to make quality judgements between two distinct things is why are they different? How did they each get like they are? Are the traits and quirks of one perhaps the process of a careful process of selection and discernment, while the other is a series accidents and carelessness? If this is true it should make us expect more interesting things from one than the other. We can't be sure of course. Accidents have done great things for humanity countless times. But maybe we shouldn't get our hopes up.

And if we're aware of a lack of attention and thought in the creative process behind something we're looking at we can perhaps avoid straining ourselves too hard to find great value in the thing that escapes our immediate notice. While if we know something is taken very seriously by its creators top to bottom, we will probably be rewarded if we take a more serious look.

Now if we want to actually judge the differences between Euroshmups and Japanese arcade shmups (Jshmups?) how this difference emerged seems obvious. And related to what you said. Euroshmups have inertia because they're representations of aircraft in flight. They have inertia to feel more like aircraft. Controlling a machine. It does not respond directly to your will, your inputs manipulate the parts that make it go, and it is then subject to the natural forces of flight. If you think you're making something about an aircraft, inertia makes sense.

Now the Japanese, this might look at first like a strange inversion of the principle I keep raising, the white man is apparently compromising his game for what his game represents, while the Japanese are disregarding what is represented for game. Is that what's happening? No. Jshmups are (or were) arcade experiences first. And the arcade is a unique and cultivated sensory experience in itself. Noise, lights, layout, it is all appealing to and competing for your attention. To get you on the game and get you engaged. Arcades are all about stimulation. This influences both the presentation and the form of the games they hosted. Fast, reactive, novel, satisfying and exciting to the senses, these were desired traits. You don't go to the flashing lights and noise club to the bound by gravity. You aren't subject to inertia in the jshmup not because a judgement was made on what would make for the optimal potential complexity in game design. Inertia is out because it is overridden by the rule of cool.

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?" Of course, what the first guy thought would have gotten the ball rolling, each culture referring to its own prior examples. If the first white guy thought "fuck inertia faster is cooler" and the Japanese man thought "horrrr, prane go srow!" maybe things would have gone different. But perhaps the nature of these respective cultures made that highly unlikely from the outset.

From here of course we can continue reading history and see further evidence of simulationism as opposed to appreciation of all things arcade. Do "shmups" or anything resembling them have a rich or dedicated european centric playerbase or production base? No. Are Europeans uninterested in flight? Also no. If I go on GOG under the tag 'flight' the first three games are European. Two developers based in Germany, one in Cyprus. They are clearly interested in the idea of flight. But they don't make something that zips around like crazy on a 2D plane. If you get a European thinking about the idea of making a video game about flight, he makes you a plane simulator.

And listen to that European accent. Europeans either make plane simulators, or spaceflight simulators. In each case the push is for technical fidelity. The same impulses that gave us inertia in our euroshmups finally unshackled from their two dimensional prison and realising what they were trying to suggest all along.

And the Japanese, they have continued the arcade traditions even outside of the arcade. Give them the power of a PC and they give you this.

Now is this primitive? Touhou... has a lot going on. So much that it's hard to know where to start. It's the arcade impulses and appeals taken home and allowed to EVOLVE there. When you're building a series of individual releases which can be collected you can have history with your eventual fans. Like From Software with Elden Ring you can make things harder as familiarity and expectations mount. You can build on your complexity not just in the game presented, but the greater multimedia experience. I use Touhou in particular as my example because it's such a beautiful case of change spurring evolution. This home PC arcade experience has its own cult.

Where youtube shmup identifying man sees failure in the shmup I see infancy. The Euroshmup when it began was not bad shmup. It was primitive flight. Yes, a confused and vestigial branch of inertia-laden "shmups" might still exist, but what does it matter next to its imposing brother THE FLIGHT SIM?

Now... the implications upon your boner. Perhaps my extraordinary charisma paired with my fondness for cats gets you curious.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Citadel is indeed great. :5/5: horrifically mutilated anime girls out of :5/5:, can't wait for Beyond Citadel.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Euroshmup's are a thing. [...]
Oh yes, I'm subscribed to that Yootooburr. In his Armored Core 6 video he made some comment about reloading guns being 'weapon cooldowns' and that it's a kind of bad thing, and in another video he did with Shmup Junkie he was including FPSes in his shmup family tree. Thing is (and Junkie pointed this out a bit too), that's really just wrong, since FPSes were action dungeon crawlers with guns unrelated to shmups. Also that guy can't stand RPGs and really only knows about arcadey action games. Anyway.

The problem with Euroshmups is they're trying to do simulation in a genre that's unsuited to it. Shoot 'em ups, as they are, are essentially Japanese. And actually, all those Euroshmups were directly inspired by Japanese games, like R-Type, Gradius, Darius, Raiden, and so on. So it's really not at all unfair to complain about them failing to live up to them. On the other hand, an essentially western shmup would be something like Asteroids or whatever. Or better yet, first-person shooters, which are much better for simulation and fit most of the design tendencies of yuroeshlumps (of course they're not about planes but that's not the point). Rather than Euroshmups being a predecessor to flight simulation, it's more like the existing interest in simulation was misguidedly transposed onto shmups.

Also, inertia =/= slow. Many of the older games had slow movement, which emphasized a more deliberate playstyle, such as in the aforementioned Raiden.

Touhou is one of the original danmaku games, along with Dodonpachi and the like, however doujin games are a mostly isolated thing. And Touhou games aren't really that complicated as games, either. They have pretty patterns, backgrounds, characters, and music, but the design is rather mild outside of boss fights and they don't really do too much new (but actually, non-arcade shmups of any kind tend to be more mild in general, so). It's like if I said System Shock was an evolution of first-person shooters even though its influence is entirely limited to its own sub-genre of games by the same people, and ignoring the fact that as a shooter it stays relatively basic.

Unrelated video inserted for no raisin.

GamerCat_

Educated
Euroshmup's are a thing. [...]
Oh yes, I'm subscribed to that Yootooburr. In his Armored Core 6 video he made some comment about reloading guns being 'weapon cooldowns' and that it's a kind of bad thing, and in another video he did with Shmup Junkie he was including FPSes in his shmup family tree. Thing is (and Junkie pointed this out a bit too), that's really just wrong, since FPSes were action dungeon crawlers with guns unrelated to shmups. Also that guy can't stand RPGs and really only knows about arcadey action games. Anyway.
He's been saying very silly things whenever I've looked at him.
The problem with Euroshmups is they're trying to do simulation in a genre that's unsuited to it. Shoot 'em ups, as they are, are essentially Japanese. And actually, all those Euroshmups were directly inspired by Japanese games, like R-Type, Gradius, Darius, Raiden, and so on. So it's really not at all unfair to complain about them failing to live up to them. On the other hand, an essentially western shmup would be something like Asteroids or whatever. Or better yet, first-person shooters, which are much better for simulation and fit most of the design tendencies of yuroeshlumps (of course they're not about planes but that's not the point). Rather than Euroshmups being a predecessor to flight simulation, it's more like the existing interest in simulation was misguidedly transposed onto shmups.
I can agree with this.
Also, inertia =/= slow. Many of the older games had slow movement, which emphasized a more deliberate playstyle, such as in the aforementioned Raiden.

Touhou is one of the original danmaku games, along with Dodonpachi and the like, however doujin games are a mostly isolated thing. And Touhou games aren't really that complicated as games, either. They have pretty patterns, backgrounds, characters, and music, but the design is rather mild outside of boss fights and they don't really do too much new (but actually, non-arcade shmups of any kind tend to be more mild in general, so). It's like if I said System Shock was an evolution of first-person shooters even though its influence is entirely limited to its own sub-genre of games by the same people, and ignoring the fact that as a shooter it stays relatively basic.
Another fair judgement. Perhaps we could call Touhou a creative branching rather than a technical evolution.

Ash

Arcane

You sound like the Ben Shapiro of gaming, so full of self-deception that you confuse your feelings for "rational discourse". Your ramblings are very much all about taste.
I do not ramble, nigger. I know where my taste and preferences end and never expect them to stand as self sufficient proof of anything beyond my own feelings.

Oh gamercat. You're really quite special.
These wishful gestures of superiority aren't going to convince anybody who matters.

You're apparently a survival horror aficionado. Seen all the finest video essays I'm sure. How do you feel about Silent Hill? A "survival horror" (lol) game which was made after Resident Evil and has less complex gameplay? These people were obviously aware of Resident Evil, they freely took elements of it. But pared down from a more complex form which contained more gameplay? Would you consider Silent hill to be a degeneration of Resident Evil? Silent Hill looked at a game with a novel form of gameplay and made that gameplay simpler to serve a greater vision. Gameplay was undeniably disprivileged in the production of Silent Hill to facilitate engagement with its other media elements. They were not gameplay maximalists. They would not privilege gameplay at the cost of any other element of the work.
Good question! Firstly, yes, Silent Hill is a slight measureable decline over Resident Evil in the gameplay department, BUT still has engaging gameplay (to a degree) in its own right and offers things Resident Evil does not.
You're fucking pathetic.

You're clearly vastly underestimating its gameplay, just as you are vastly underestimating Final Fantasy 7's combat, but that's for another day perhaps.

Here is what Silent Hill offers over Resident Evil:

-Hardcore puzzles. Resident Evil not so much.
-Hardcore navigation challenge, of two differing styles too (dungeon clearance and town exploration).
-Camera boss fights. The camera is rather dynamic and unpredictable in this game and it certainly works in its favor, adding to the tension and making combat a little more interesting than it otherwise is.

Of course, all of it works together fantastically to enhance the immersion/horror/tension/story etc, which gives it bonus points. Though Resident Evil's does that too.

If the game had worthless gameplay that is not engaging AND works against its secondary elements (story, immersion, horror blah blah), it wouldn't be a good game. Like its sequel. Which you're not doubt a fan of, because you're mediocre.

This is a very valuable post. The nadir of rpgcodexbrain. A post so bad it becomes historically important.

You're either so desperate to play contrary to me that you're describing Silent Hill like it's wireframe models in grey space, or you're so autistic that this is actually what you see when you look at it. By describing Silent Hill as made of "puzzles" are you being willfully reductive or are you just conceptually crippled by gamerbabble? "Dungeons" even. I could express my disgust at great length but let's stick to the line of discourse. I won't let you off that easy.

You are being wilfully evasive on two points. On, the suggestion that these are distinct elements over Resident Evil, rather than the same class of experience but simpler and easier. And second, all of these means of engagement with the game, things you do in it, the "hardcore navigation", "Hardcore puzzles", and the camera being a little funny at times, these are all seated in the far simpler base "gameplay". None of these supposedly superior gameplay elements offered by Silent Hill are enabled by its simplifications on how Resident Evil handled. Your bottomless pockets, highly effective methods of killing without using ammunition, very forgiving hostile entities, all of these are sheer simplifications of how Resident Evil handled for the purpose of privileging elements of the game other than your precious gameplay. Am I to take from this that Halo: CE would have been an acceptable simplification (even though it wasn't) of Quake if at one point you found a locked door and had to look at a series of cards with numbers under them, and then determined which number went below the final card? That would be a hardcore puzzle, and something over Quake.

But of course there's no way to quantify any of this that makes any kind of consistency out of the things you're saying. I raped you to death by raising Silent Hill and am now talking to your stubborn retarded zombie ghost (no decline in IQ).

Now, "enhance the immersion/horror/tension/story etc", these are baldxer gamerbabble linguistic dodges that exist to avoid conceding that video games are enjoyable for things other than gameplay (god forbid, if this is true then it's possible for a younger, smarter person to have a more prestigious and worthy read on video games than a retarded old fuck who has consumed and completed more sheer video game datamass).

Immersionhorrortensionstory, what do you really mean? What are you so afraid of, that you acknowledge this, then attempt to discretely hustle it out of the room with "which gives it bonus points." and then no further mention. Come on baldxer. You were taught to worship Silent Hill so you do. You were also taught to dismiss the fascinations of the youth rising below you by saying video games are mechanical contrivances so you do. How does this fit? Square the circle. You haven't yet. Can you?

Silent Hill's gameplay isn't notengaging. You'll have to explain what "engaging" is in some consistently applicable way, or else I'm going to have to keep figuring that "notengaging" is some kind of retarded animal noise you make when you're afraid. I pull your tail and you "notengaging" for me. The donkey goes HEE-HAW. Ash goes NOTENGAGING.

This statement is meaningless when "engaging" is a qualifier you arbitrarily bestow upon things you already like.
Nope, it's quite easy to define via factors such as level of challenge, complexity, depth, design synergy. Snakes & Ladders = NOT engaging for a developed brain. Unless you're gamercat. Then you can just slap some spectacle on top and you're good.
But you haven't defined it.
Anyway, losing braincells hanging around you lot. I'm hoping the next codex adventure will involve...other people. Sorry.
You're losing dignity and standing, even among your fellow morons.

Do you cut your losses now or dig yourself in further to try to win some back? Leaving now pretending to be bored would be the smart move. But do you really have the restraint to stay away?

Just saw this. New contender for Codex special poster of the year award. I have no idea how you misinterpret everything addressed to you this badly. The verbose delusional rants on top is the diarrhea icing on the mental drivel shit cake.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Then there's Turbo Overkill, which has a lot of story for an FPS. Super over the top to the point of ridiculousness, but it's there, and plenty of it.
I second this recommendation. It answers op's complaints, and the gameplay is the tits' nipples!

Of course, the 90s shooter that most fits that description is Quake, which is surreal and has enemies that don't look like anything and locations that are deliberately nonsensical...
Uh, what?

Quake is literally H.P Lovecraft the FPS.
Episodes begin as techbases and then turn into weird castles and nonsensical architecture because, you know, H.P Lovecraft.

Quake was always a weird series in that all the subsequent entries have nothing to do with the original game. The entire Quake 2/4 Strogg arc AFAIK has zero connection to the original Quake and its Lovecraftian Horror ambiance.

You can still swap spastically between 8 different weapons and hop around like an autist, but Half Life is clearly in the process of evolving from the form of something like Doom to something more like an adventure game that happens to be in first person. And I think that was very good. One can readily ask why any particular element of fps was necessary for realising the cool parts of a game like Half Life. And I think the game definitely could have been even less of a boomer shooter and worked just as well if not better. What if we only had one gun at a time? Or a STALKER/rpg style inventory? What if we had a conversation screen to talk to scientists? Any of this could have worked. My point is that Half Life was not essentially an "fps". It was selectively using elements of the form for its own purposes. And that in fact this is what all classic "fps", or "boomer shooters" were doing.
So... Deus Ex Half-Life?

Honestly? Give me a non-linear or hub-structure Black Mesa and I'm game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Of course, the 90s shooter that most fits that description is Quake, which is surreal and has enemies that don't look like anything and locations that are deliberately nonsensical...
Uh, what?

Episodes begin as techbases and then turn into weird castles and nonsensical architecture because, you know, H.P Lovecraft.

Quake was always a weird series in that all the subsequent entries have nothing to do with the original game. The entire Quake 2/4 Strogg arc AFAIK has zero connection to the original Quake and its Lovecraftian Horror ambiance.
Quake 2 is also pretty good, but not as great as the original game.
Quake is a truly special game for me.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Not sure if id did it or not but it's really easy to saw Quake 1 and 2 are connected. You start in about the same level of tech as Quake 2 so you can say Quake guy and Quake 2 guy are in the same universe but different parts of it. When we get a Nu Quake I expect they will do something like this in the lore.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Not sure if id did it or not but it's really easy to saw Quake 1 and 2 are connected. You start in about the same level of tech as Quake 2 so you can say Quake guy and Quake 2 guy are in the same universe but different parts of it. When we get a Nu Quake I expect they will do something like this in the lore.
They already did some basic connecting like that in the new Quake episodes they added in the remasters on Steam.

Gerrard

Arcane

You sound like the Ben Shapiro of gaming, so full of self-deception that you confuse your feelings for "rational discourse". Your ramblings are very much all about taste.
I do not ramble, nigger. I know where my taste and preferences end and never expect them to stand as self sufficient proof of anything beyond my own feelings.

Oh gamercat. You're really quite special.
These wishful gestures of superiority aren't going to convince anybody who matters.

You're apparently a survival horror aficionado. Seen all the finest video essays I'm sure. How do you feel about Silent Hill? A "survival horror" (lol) game which was made after Resident Evil and has less complex gameplay? These people were obviously aware of Resident Evil, they freely took elements of it. But pared down from a more complex form which contained more gameplay? Would you consider Silent hill to be a degeneration of Resident Evil? Silent Hill looked at a game with a novel form of gameplay and made that gameplay simpler to serve a greater vision. Gameplay was undeniably disprivileged in the production of Silent Hill to facilitate engagement with its other media elements. They were not gameplay maximalists. They would not privilege gameplay at the cost of any other element of the work.
Good question! Firstly, yes, Silent Hill is a slight measureable decline over Resident Evil in the gameplay department, BUT still has engaging gameplay (to a degree) in its own right and offers things Resident Evil does not.
You're fucking pathetic.

You're clearly vastly underestimating its gameplay, just as you are vastly underestimating Final Fantasy 7's combat, but that's for another day perhaps.

Here is what Silent Hill offers over Resident Evil:

-Hardcore puzzles. Resident Evil not so much.
-Hardcore navigation challenge, of two differing styles too (dungeon clearance and town exploration).
-Camera boss fights. The camera is rather dynamic and unpredictable in this game and it certainly works in its favor, adding to the tension and making combat a little more interesting than it otherwise is.

Of course, all of it works together fantastically to enhance the immersion/horror/tension/story etc, which gives it bonus points. Though Resident Evil's does that too.

If the game had worthless gameplay that is not engaging AND works against its secondary elements (story, immersion, horror blah blah), it wouldn't be a good game. Like its sequel. Which you're not doubt a fan of, because you're mediocre.

This is a very valuable post. The nadir of rpgcodexbrain. A post so bad it becomes historically important.

You're either so desperate to play contrary to me that you're describing Silent Hill like it's wireframe models in grey space, or you're so autistic that this is actually what you see when you look at it. By describing Silent Hill as made of "puzzles" are you being willfully reductive or are you just conceptually crippled by gamerbabble? "Dungeons" even. I could express my disgust at great length but let's stick to the line of discourse. I won't let you off that easy.

You are being wilfully evasive on two points. On, the suggestion that these are distinct elements over Resident Evil, rather than the same class of experience but simpler and easier. And second, all of these means of engagement with the game, things you do in it, the "hardcore navigation", "Hardcore puzzles", and the camera being a little funny at times, these are all seated in the far simpler base "gameplay". None of these supposedly superior gameplay elements offered by Silent Hill are enabled by its simplifications on how Resident Evil handled. Your bottomless pockets, highly effective methods of killing without using ammunition, very forgiving hostile entities, all of these are sheer simplifications of how Resident Evil handled for the purpose of privileging elements of the game other than your precious gameplay. Am I to take from this that Halo: CE would have been an acceptable simplification (even though it wasn't) of Quake if at one point you found a locked door and had to look at a series of cards with numbers under them, and then determined which number went below the final card? That would be a hardcore puzzle, and something over Quake.

But of course there's no way to quantify any of this that makes any kind of consistency out of the things you're saying. I raped you to death by raising Silent Hill and am now talking to your stubborn retarded zombie ghost (no decline in IQ).

Now, "enhance the immersion/horror/tension/story etc", these are baldxer gamerbabble linguistic dodges that exist to avoid conceding that video games are enjoyable for things other than gameplay (god forbid, if this is true then it's possible for a younger, smarter person to have a more prestigious and worthy read on video games than a retarded old fuck who has consumed and completed more sheer video game datamass).

Immersionhorrortensionstory, what do you really mean? What are you so afraid of, that you acknowledge this, then attempt to discretely hustle it out of the room with "which gives it bonus points." and then no further mention. Come on baldxer. You were taught to worship Silent Hill so you do. You were also taught to dismiss the fascinations of the youth rising below you by saying video games are mechanical contrivances so you do. How does this fit? Square the circle. You haven't yet. Can you?

Silent Hill's gameplay isn't notengaging. You'll have to explain what "engaging" is in some consistently applicable way, or else I'm going to have to keep figuring that "notengaging" is some kind of retarded animal noise you make when you're afraid. I pull your tail and you "notengaging" for me. The donkey goes HEE-HAW. Ash goes NOTENGAGING.

This statement is meaningless when "engaging" is a qualifier you arbitrarily bestow upon things you already like.
Nope, it's quite easy to define via factors such as level of challenge, complexity, depth, design synergy. Snakes & Ladders = NOT engaging for a developed brain. Unless you're gamercat. Then you can just slap some spectacle on top and you're good.
But you haven't defined it.
Anyway, losing braincells hanging around you lot. I'm hoping the next codex adventure will involve...other people. Sorry.
You're losing dignity and standing, even among your fellow morons.

Do you cut your losses now or dig yourself in further to try to win some back? Leaving now pretending to be bored would be the smart move. But do you really have the restraint to stay away?

Just saw this. New contender for Codex special poster of the year award. I have no idea how you misinterpret everything addressed to you this badly. The verbose delusional rants on top is the diarrhea icing on the mental drivel shit cake.
Yeah, looks like you'll have some tough competition this year.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, looks like you'll have some tough competition this year.

Please. You're obviously a slimy little weasel cunt. Wouldn't say a goddamn thing to my face, so keep it shut online too eh?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
lots of new boomer shooters have a cargo cult mentality towards certain things and devs behind them don't get why games like Half Life or Quake are as good as they are; most of the older boomer shooters have cohesion in areas that matter, such as level design, art design, weapon balancing, and so on

the only good new boomer shooters are ones that don't have a cargo cult mentality towards their various aspects that help bind the experience together into a cohesive whole, such as Wrath: Aeon of Ruin or Prodeus

I have practically zero interest in the topic, but this is one of the most entertaining threads a in a while.

Beware, the zoomer frogtwitter Amarnites have found RPGCodex. The old tablets are broken. How will the coping, bald gen-Xers deal with this overflowing of youthful moodiness and sensitivity? We thought we were safe debating what's an RPG, but what's even a game?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There's a few "Quake Lore" videos out there that connect the first game and Quake 2. Basically, what happened in Quake was that the Strogg were playing with dimensional portals, and somehow found the Eldritch Horror dimension. So, they decided to weaponize it against Earth so they could invade it later on. It's kind of an odd way of connecting the two, but there's not too many ways of mashing the series together so it makes sense. I somewhat think it would make more sense if they flipped the situation and that Shubby created the Strogg, and then you killed it. Before you manage to telefrag Shubs, he gives a beacon to Earth to the Strogg, setting up the war between Quake and Quake 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thread completely ruined by consoltards. Five pages talking about Halo as if that shit game is even remotely relevant to the thread.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?"

Almost as if white people are sattva oriented and Japanese people are rajas oriented. You should take that argument in the other thread bro.

GamerCat_

Educated

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?"

Almost as if white people are sattva oriented and Japanese people are rajas oriented. You should take that argument in the other thread bro.
If you understand this so well why am I the one writing posts explaining differences between cultures, while you write posts explaining that you have the power to explain differences between cultures?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom