Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Most Disappointing Game You've Ever Played

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Probably Temple of Elemental Evil from Troika. I had such high expectations for this game, but ended up finishing it in a few hours and dealing with a stupid ammount of bugs throughout.

SearchEngine

Learned
Xenoblade Chronicles. After all the big deal abut getting this game to America, I've played it and wasn't impressed. I didn't care for the story, thought the characters were bland, and the majority of side quests were fetch quests.

Skyrim. Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls and it's such a waste. The game has boring copypasta settings, the dungeons were ridiculously linear, the dialogue and c&c were shit, and the fact that the "professional" reviewers were acting as if there's never been an open-world rpg that matches Skyrim made me :roll:.

Fallout 3. I genuinely wanted to like this game. Shooter rpg-open world-Fallout's settings in 3D. How can one screw that up?:(

BioShock. This game bored me to tears. It was easy as shit and pretentious. There was nothing special, save for the atmosphere. Surprisingly when I played System Shock 2 after hearing elitists rag on BioShock so much, I enjoyed it immensely.

Heavy Rain. Expected a different take on c&c. I got my wish. :roll:

Super Mario Galaxy. It's gameplay gets stale really quickly, didn't care for the gravity mechanics, too long for it's own good, and am sick of hearing how "IT'S THE GR8EST GAME EVAR!" by those who think this game is the epitome of space presentation. I rather play Super Mario Bros. 3 and Sunshine to be honest.

Sonic 4. Expected a sequel to the classics. All I got from it was a mediocre Rush game.

Flight sims in general. It's hard to find one that felt like a game, save for a few. Plus they all seem to look the same so much.

Morkar Left

If you're playing as whole party, which is far from typical PnP situation, so we can't talk about emulation anymore, then, ironically enough, TB is very much necessary (because *you* need it to sync actions of multiple characters with the computer) and overhead view can also be useful for tactical reasons (though not necessarily, see blobbers).
In really old-school PnP RPGs it wasn't uncommon for players to play with several characters at once (because of the attrition rate).

An example for a more recent pnp rpg where you often play several chars (yes, at the same time, too) is Ars Magica.

Glyphwright

Had to have been Oblivion and Gothic 3, they pretty much sealed the death of the RPG genre and its final mutation into "hyped-up fantasy hack-and-slash with bloom". Before that, KotOR 1, which I played after The Sith Lords. Enthralled with the storytelling and detailed background information in TSL, I was eager to learn the story of the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War and Revan, only to discover that the Mandalorian Wars were hardly mentioned by anyone and were basically reduced to "this shit that happened", that Revan is just a guy in a mask, and Malak is a template cackling villain who wants to be Darth Vader, but isn't. It's incredible that a game with such a weak plot, non-existent characters and complete lack of integrity or pace managed to become more successful that its vastly superior sequel.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Freelancer
The premises were great, the first hours were great, and then i realized i was going nowhere, that was it, just trade/shoot and accumulate money, once you have the best ship there's really no point in doing anything else

also necroing because we've had almost a year for new things to come out and complain

mondblut

Arcane
Morrowind. I waited for a bigger and better Daggerfall, and all I got was a first person Ultima in a funny suit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oblivion. I waited for a bigger and better Morrowind with Daggerfall features and all I got was a level scaled piece of derp.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Planescape: Torment

99% of other RPGs game stories are now shit in comparison and I can no longer enjoy them for what they are. Disappointing.

Vibalist

Arcane
Most recently, Rome 2. Though I guess it's my own fault for purchasing a game from a company that are notorious for releasing buggy and half baked products. After Shogun 2, however, I expected a hell of a lot more than I got. Aside from bugs and slow frame rates and other stuff that is at least fixable, the fundamentals of the game are so broken there's no hope.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is going to be a "duh, asshole" moment for a lot of people, but Rage was really disappointing. I expected it to be a simple shooter but in an open world. It was even more linear and simple than I ever thought possible though, and the open world was a simple hub without anything interesting to do. So disappointing.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do hate to give a generic answer, but Oblivion. As sad as it is to say, Oblivion was probably one of the most important points of my gaming life.

I had been everything that Bethesda wanted in a customer, at the time. I was impressionable, had enough money, and I was rabidly willing to defend the game before it was even released, blinded by hype and a true consumerist degenerate. I am also genuinely easy to please, not at all hard to impress, and back then Morrowind was something I couldn't play without it crashing and ruining my progress, so I was hungry to have my exploration fix in Oblivion. Nothing could have gone wrong for them, and for a long time, nothing actually did. I played the game and loved the game and couldn't put down the game and even bought it again after ruining the disk. Fanatical, except not quite.

When I get bored of something, I tend to begin questioning why. I like to know what it is, exactly, that drove me away, because I don't get bored of my favourite games, I simply stop playing them for a while. With Oblivion, I began to notice that I was putting in the effort to make myself play it. I also noticed that I had always been putting in this effort and, so, I started trying to think of what Oblivion did in return for it all. Nothing, I had only been LARPing and imagining more involvement than the game even pretended to have. There were no interesting quests and no choices and no restrictions and nothing to find and nothing to kill and nothing to save and nothing, nothing, nothing. I didn't have anything more than a steel sword, because I had deduced the way to break the game without penalty. The game was one enormous hole and my sub-conscious had been doing everything it could to fill it in, but it was simply too big. It only got worse when I began comparing it to Morrowind.

Where were the interesting spells and the fascinating locations? Where were the secrets and the rewards tucked away inside of them? Even Morrowind's first five minutes had more rewarding secrets to find. Where were the restrictions? Where was the levelling? Oh, it was all around me, scaled down so that I could never find a single interesting thing in this dismal, dreary, mundane world. Morrowind was meant to be a wasteland, but Oblivion actually suited the part - it had nothing. Then I remembered the previews, the pre-release hype, the bare-faced bullshit. This game wasn't just poor, it was a lie and I fell straight into it. There was no transition period; all of that love evaporated away and I quickly hated the game. From there, it became a 'I found the Codex' story, where I lurked ever since the moment I saw, finally, some dissenting opinion on this piece of trash game. Through Oblivion, I had literally seen the light, and it wasn't the godawful bloom trying to blind me from noticing everything that's ugly, but instead a light shining over and glorifying everything that is shit. Games sites, other gamers, reviews/previews et al; Oblivion opened my eyes to them all, and set me on my course away from being yet another Xbox360 plebeian like so many others.

tldr; fuck you Oblivion and fuck you Bethesda, but it was probably a good thing in the end. Thanks to you, I learned to think like Codex for myself.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Most of my disappointments are pretty generic: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Invisible War, Dragon Age 2, Warcraft III, Diablo III, Black & White, Fable, Spore, Doom 3, GTA IV. I don't think SWTOR has been brought up yet, but maybe I was the only one expecting it to be good; at the time, Bioware had made only one really bad game, so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. On the subject of awful Star Wars games, there's The Force Unleashed, which would've been okay if it weren't for the worst QTEs I have ever seen.

The most disappointing game I have ever played, though...that would have to be Yoshi's Story. Yoshi's Island was an amazing game, with beautiful 2d graphics and solid gameplay. So when I got Yoshi's Island, I was expecting more of the same. Holy fuck, was I wrong. It seemed like it was literally made for babies. There was no challenge at all, you just went around getting an arbitrary amount of fruit to make the level end. I will never forgive you, Nintendo :mad:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Good post, Glitterdust Golem! :bro:

I have to say that while I played Oblivion a bunch shortly after launch, it did leave me unsatisfied and bored in the end as well. It doesn't make my personal list this time, though, thanks to the Dark Brotherhood questline and Shivering Isles - which were at least somewhat interesting. The following games, on the other hand, have no redeeming qualities whatsoever for me - except maybe the soundtrack for a few of them:
  • Diablo III - seems doubly bad since similar games were released around the same time which did everything better (Path of Exile and, to a lesser extent, Torchlight 2).
  • Dragon Age II - also seems especially disappointing when compared to its contemporary action RPGs (The Witcher 2).
  • Might and Magic IX - if MM8 was a punch in the liver then this was a full-blown kick in the nuts for fans of the series.
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 - honestly, I don't even know why I was expecting this to be good after NWN1. :oops:
  • Ultima IX: Ascension - if U8 was a punch in the liver... yeah.
If I had to choose one then I guess NWN2 was the most rage-inducing for me because it came during the time of the deepest decline and I didn't have a lot of other games to play then - so I was really hoping it would be good right until I got my hands on it. With D3 and DA2 I at least knew they were going to be shit long before launch. :P

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh yeah, SWTOR! I didn't mention MMOs in my previous post because that would've been too easy - I think, at this point, it's just simpler to expect most major MMOs to be soulless, shitty WoW clones because that's what they all inevitably seem to end up as.

I think the most disappointing one for me was GW2 - the devs promised so much, it looked so interesting and I was really excited about it for a long time (and I have over 1000 posts on GW2 Guru to prove it, sadly). I was also looking forward to Rift, Darkfall, Mortal Online... the list goes on. :(

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fucking pong man. When I was 5 and got my first Atari 2600 I thought to myself, what the hell? This is it?

Actually, when I was little I loved Pong, Adventure, and Indiana Jones on the same system. Man it's easy to entertain kids.

Previously I agreed with Unkillable Cat about Ultima 9. Man I more than loved that series. I worshiped it. I even liked Ultima 8, though I rage quit often and had to finish it by switching seats with two of my Academy Prep School squadron mates who also liked the series. Hell, I hot seated Ultima 5 with my one of my best buds in High School. So when Ultima 9 came out it was going to be the culmination of years of play and memories. Once I saw what they did to Iolo I quit and never went back. Now that I finished the two Ultima Underworld games this last year, I intend to finish the other games I missed in the series: Ultima 6, Martian Dreams, and the Savage Empire. But I swear to God, I'll never finish Ultima 9. Fuck that game. Ultima 9 is to video games what One More Day is to comic books. If one of the fan projects trying to do a proper Ultima 9 ever comes to fruition, I'll give that ago. Hell, I even played Ultima 4 Part 2: Dude, Where's My Avatar, so you know I'm good for it.

Black and White, but I already mentioned it. Don't believe Molyneux's lies.

I noticed people had an issue with Freespace. I didn't hate it, I just though it was lackluster. Especially the end. I wouldn't call it the worst purchase I made. I also didn't like NWN or NWN2, but I found them boring and predictable rather than something to hate. Same with Oblivion. It really disappointed me as I truly loved Morrowind, but it was heavily modable, and I really enjoyed breaking the game with Estrus. Estrus might be horribly perverted, but the technical work that went into making it astounds me... and kinda turns me on.

I will agree with Fallout 3, however. I despised that ending. I tried to figure out any way to get out of suiciding myself, but the game won't allow you too. Finally I just gave up and let it happen. Like a battered spouse. Thanks for doing that to me Bethesda. Oh, and I hated the part with the cannibals that had morals. You could tell they were shoehorning Elder Scroll vampires into their Fallout mythos. Not even a giant killer robot could make things right.

I really regret purchasing Vampire the Masquerade. Despite the clunky interface, I began to enjoy the gothic feel of the game. Then I ran into a game breaking bug where I should have been able to enter the next corridor but couldn't because of a mistake by the design team. Which is a shame because I really like trying out computer versions of popular pen and paper games. This game stopped me from buying Bloodlines, despite it being cheap on GOG and a fan favorite here.

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy 12. I hated the protagonists in both of these games. The FFX character was whiny and annoying. The FF 12 character just didn't belong, and was like playing C3PO in a Star Wars game instead of Han or Luke. They should have gotten rid of Vaan and Penelo. The other four characters fit fine. I also found the dungeons repetitive so I quit after 3/4s of FF12. I completed FFX and hated it all the way, despite its interesting water-based design. I also beat FFX-2, but turned my brain off for it. After FF12 I never plan on buying a Final Fantasy game again. This coming from someone who really enjoyed FF1, FF2, FF3, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9 and Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favorite CRPGs ever).

I'm going to throw in Deathtrap Dungeon on the Playstation. I was looking forward to a really challenging trap-filled dungeon dive with hard to defeat monsters. Instead I got an unplayable clusterfuck. The controls and camera make this game nigh unplayable.

Geneforge 3: Despite Avadon, I like Jeff Vogel. I like Spiderweb Software. I don't like being forced to choose between siding with asshole A or asshole B in order to commit ethnic genocide against the other. I quit instead of making a decision. My character said 'Fuck this shit" and retired. Don't make this stop you from playing the series. Seriously, buy the fucking Geneforge series right now and play the free Exile trilogy, too.

Command and Conquer: Generals. I like CRPGs, but I also really like strategy games. After beating Warcraft 2, Command and Conquer, and Command and Conquer 2, I thought that I could expect the same level of challenge in Generals. Instead the game was over right when it began to get challenging. I was maybe 10 or 15 hours into play. This is the game that stopped me from buying further AAA titles without serious looks at reviews first. The game was ok; not good or bad. But I believe this is when I really noticed that modern gaming had become too easy and I started to seriously look at alternatives.

Dungeon Siege: Another game that was hyped in the media, which fell flat in actual play. I threw this game away. I want to finish Ultima 6, I really do. But I hate how Ultima 6 looks. Yet, I hate Dungeon Siege so much, that when a team came together to create a fan mod for Ultima 6 to run on the better looking Dungeon Siege engine I refused to purchase Dungeon Siege again in fear that I might send the wrong signal to developers. That's how much I fucking hate this game. I stopped trusting gaming magazines because of this travesty.

Dragon Age: Never finished it. I like my turn-based strategy games. I also like the good old medieval shield wall. I put my meat shield out to block attackers, then have my mages fire artillery from the rear. I can accept that arrows, spells, and other missile weapons might disrupt my casters. What I can't accept is watching my two front line fighters let werewolves through their ranks and slash at my mage just because it's not their turn to strike. Oh, and I know we just fought someone, but can't my NPCs wipe off their blood-stained faces before engaging in sexy talk with me?

So for most disappoint games I will go with this:

- Ultima 9 (Iolo, what have they done to you!)
- Black and White (Wow... despite the hype this game sucks)
- Deathtrap Dungeon (Unplayable)
- Vampire the Masquerade (So broken)
- Geneforge 3 (Why is everyone an asshole, and why do I have to choose to work with an asshole?)
- Final Fantasy 10 (Why is everyone retarded?)
- Final Fantasy 12 (Why are Balthier and Basch so much cooler than my Vaan?)
- Fallout 3 (I don't want to go into the suicide macine)
- Command and Conquer: Generals (What do you mean the game is over?)
- Dungeon Siege (Derp)
- Dragon Age: Origins (Sure I'll kiss you. But clean up first.)

By the way, I actually liked Sewer Shark on the Sega CD because of its cheese. So if I hate a game, you know it's bad.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yeah, Dungeon Siege was a letdown. If you're going to make a game that's nothing but combat, you could at least make the combat interesting.

Tigranes

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 1, because BG2 was my first Western CRPG and then they made me wait five years for what was, for a couple of years, a shitty-looking piece of shit turd shit. As a project it redeemed itself, of course, because arguably encouraging such an active modding community is even more difficult. In that respect KOTOR1 was the worse game to make, but by then I was somewhat prepared to be left forlorn.

Yes, yes, I know, I just summoned Volourn.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deuce Traveler touches on a point that got me thinking. Ultima 9 wasn't just a punch in the liver and a kick in the nuts, it was pretty much a stab in the back. I have an older post in this thread where I go into further detail, but I failed to mention one thing: The buildup leading to Ultima 9. I got on the Ultima train pretty late, in 1992, but I had been aware of it since 1988 and it had been running since 1980. That's 19 years of history, storytelling, programming, world-creating, mythos-generating, fluff-making (no, not that kind of fluffing), trying to establish a basic philosophy and last, but not least, worship by the fans by the time Ultima 9 is released. All thrown away, wasted, ruined. One game destroyed the Ultima legacy virtually overnight.

Like this. Just listen to him for the next 8 minutes or so of that video.

At the time it was the longest-running game series around, with a consistent release schedule. Three other game series were a little younger and had about the same number of titles: Wizardry, Might & Magic and King's Quest. How did they end?

Might & Magic 9 was a disaster of gargantuan proportions, but it didn't kill the series, merely the main branch of it, eventually taking all of the other branches with it except the Heroes one, but even now that one is withering away. At least a new sapling seems to be growing strongly in Might & Magix X.

King's Quest 8 was also a big betrayal to its fans, 15 years of legacy down the drain, but then again Sierra On-Line was in its death throes at the time. King's Quest never had the consistent and "deep" storylines of the other series, but it was still a huge presence in the gaming scene back then.

The Wizardry series seems to have gotten the most "merciful" death. Wizardry 1-7, a spin-off game or two, and then Wizardry 8 signals the last gasp. At least there one can find a sense of acceptable closure.

One has to look hard to find a game series that has 19 years of history, 19 years of a story, told in chapters, building up to a climax and resolution. Even today. And then to find one and have it completely fucking ruined by corporate greed, incompetence and stupidity?

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Planescape: Torment

99% of other RPGs game stories are now shit in comparison and I can no longer enjoy them for what they are. Disappointing.
I sympathize the feeling. When I first played it, I didn't knew anything about RPGs and had the brilliant idea: "Hey, this Planescape thing looks cool but everybody is saying that BG 2 is a great RPG. I will play Torment first than play BG 2 later." After I finished Torment and started playing BG 2, David Gayder drivel hitted me so hard in the face that it was hard to ignore the retarded NPCs, retarded emo villain, retarded plot to enjoy the combat encounters and nice 2d graphics. BG 2 should be my most dissapointing game I ever played, I played worse shit but I was expecting them to be shit anyway, so they not qualify.

Destroid

Arcane
Easily Black and White. I followed its development and was hyped as shit, but the delivered game was rather tepid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom