Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Telegraph review was fantastic by the way, definitely worth a read.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Before it fried my power supply (to be fair, it was on its way to die pretty soon without this game) played some 15-20 minutes, tutorial I guess. It was pretty lousy experience. Hand animations (taking loot, opening closets, drawers,...) take just too long, and when you do it often, it gets annoying pretty fast. It takes 10 bloody seconds to open a window, which closes by itself as soon as you go through it. So, if you wanna go back...But to me, in that limited time, that invisible force that wont let you jump anywhere save for two-three places, that wont let you fall of the ledge, fall from the balcony or fall from the roof -- that was easily the worst thing in the game. Can't mantle on meter high boxes, can't jump on them either --- but of course, you can have a "cinematic" jump from one building to next...

Loot is easily spottable btw as it shines every few seconds. Haven't used focus, don't think I had it then.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bros, this game is EVEN MORE OLDSCHOOL than Thief series!

Do you remember Doom? Wolfenstein3d? You CAN'T JUMP in those games! And they're classics!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Right now the only positive point I see in this game is... the size.
It made me flush around 5 gbs of trash that I kept on my hard drive for no reason.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Probably more like self-harm than entertainment, but my morbid curiosity drives me.

Gozma

Arcane
What frame of mind should you be in to play Thief? I've given it a shot before and it just didn't work for me at all. The missions in Thief feel like abstract Doom levels with zero impression of persistent reality, the main character is a 95% cipher with 5% annoying coolguy affect... I generally feel no drive at all to learn anything in the game, like grokking the layout of a map and getting off on finding new paths like I suppose people that like Thief do. In contrast I loved that stuff in Deus Ex, but I don't know exactly why. Just the RPG contextualization of XP and power-ups?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Probably more like self-harm than entertainment, but my morbid curiosity drives me.
In other news, judging by the file sizes I have a feeling that PC and X360 have the same audio quality, and that might also cover other platforms.
Simply speaking, enjoy your unwwised dubstep.ogg (32khz@~128kbps).

Lancehead

Liturgist
What frame of mind should you be in to play Thief? I've given it a shot before and it just didn't work for me at all. The missions in Thief feel like abstract Doom levels with zero impression of persistent reality, the main character is a 95% cipher with 5% annoying coolguy affect... I generally feel no drive at all to learn anything in the game, like grokking the layout of a map and getting off on finding new paths like I suppose people that like Thief do. In contrast I loved that stuff in Deus Ex, but I don't know exactly why. Just the RPG contextualization of XP and power-ups?
Set up custom rules for yourself, like not using any items, not making any guards alert, not knocking out anyone (except when it's an objective), etc. Basically, try to ghost. If that doesn't get you interested, not sure what will. I play the game with headphones and in a dark room. That's something that may help with the mood.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Set up custom rules for yourself, like not using any items, not making any guards alert, not knocking out anyone (except when it's an objective), etc. Basically, try to ghost. If that doesn't get you interested, not sure what will. I play the game with headphones and in a dark room. That's something that may help with the mood.
The only good custom rules are to pretend to be retarded when you're playing the nuThiaf.

Azazel

Arbiter
I'm listening to the Thief 2 soundtrack and it was an hour of ambiance and then the last track was celtic folk metal with vocals which I really don't remember being in the game.

Was there a point that featured celtic folk metal and I'm just crazy?

E: Derp, according to the tracklist it played during the credits roll. Jarring.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Looks like plenty of Codexers are actually eagerly playing this game. Could this be another "I love talking about how much this sucks, but I'm still gonna give it a couple playthroughs" scenario like DA2?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
More like looking for validation in my views of how bad it is because people like those Eidos shills saying your opinion means absolutely nothing unless you've played it yourself.

Plus from some of the footage I've seen it's probably pretty easy to conjure up some funny videos displaying its badness.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Looks like plenty of Codexers are actually eagerly playing this game. Could this be another "I love talking about how much this sucks, but I'm still gonna give it a couple playthroughs" scenario like DA2?

Maybe it's like being near a really gruesome car accident.

You'd still look

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
First mission: Cutscene -> room with phat loot -> another room with phat loot, but to access it you have to go through a shitty minigame -> cutscene -> contextual rope arrow -> follow annoying side character while stealing stuff and being interrupted by cutscenes every now and then -> horribly encoded FMV to end the mission.

Someone gave me an AMD code for this and I still feel chaffed.

argan

Augur
You can. And its very fitting.

How is the Official cesspit forums taking it ? I imagine the moderators are on a PR frenzy by now and trying to put out the flames as the house burns down around them.

They seem to be in hiding. I've only seen Viktoria make one or two posts. It seems even she is becoming fatigued by the constant bad press though.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What frame of mind should you be in to play Thief?

One that tells you to not to play Thiaf.

Have an interview with Stephane Roy desperately trying to defend the POS:

http://www.640toronto.com/2014/02/24/12664/

The PR guys may get made at me, but the game isn’t perfect- issues with controls, and graphically problems are valid but at the end of the day the game is still fun!!

MAY GET MADE AT ME

WHY ARE THINGS BEING MADE TOWARDS ME!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom